Tenn is no pushover!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Tenn is no pushover!

I don't think this upcoming matchup with the Titans will be as easy as most think.  Tenn is currently #8th in Rushing behind Johnson and #3 overall at stopping the run. Despite the 0-5 start, the Titans have faced Pittsburgh,Indy, and the Jets, so their schedule has been no cupcake.  The Titans were an excellent team last season and are hungry for a win.  The Pats will have to win this game via the air, no if's and's or buts!  I don't know who the third WR is going to be, Aiken, Galloway, whatever.  But if Brady and these WR don't put up some points, this game could be an upset.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: Tenn is no pushover!

No argument from me.  This board doesn't have much collective credibility when it comes to downplaying our upcoming opponents.  We downplayed the Jets and lost, the Ravens and nearly lost, Denver and lost.  Of course the Titans are winless and our other opponents were unbeaten.  That said, they are not a team that will remain winless for much longer.  Furthermore, until Brady shows us that he is completely back to form, I don't think you can say any game is a lock.  I obviously like our chances and think we'll win, but how easy we win is another matter...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

right on, this is a must win if i've ever seen one for Tenn.  If they lose this game they'll really be done for the year, and the chances of Vince Young starting skyrocket.  Pats can't take this one lightly, any missed tackles and Chris Johnson will leave them all behind.  I predict Brady has a big game, i'm not sure why, just a hunch.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Imagine their second round draft pick falling below 40.  How's Jacksonville doing?  Imagine three picks in the 30s come spring. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Agree on the Titans..an alternative thread name. They have a great running game with Johnson and White (Pats D has to stop them and force Collins/Young to beat us) and good defense that is missing some key players from last year (Haynesworth and the recent loss of Finnigan). It is not a cakewalk. Like I said in an earlier post the current Pats offense won't blow anyone out of the water or off the field.....that could change eventually.

The Pats will have 4 of the top 64 picks and I expect Belichick will move at least one of those picks. A high 2nd from either the Titans or Jags could prove to be a very valuable pick (picking 34th or 35th overall is practically like getting another first) both the pick itself and as a trade-able pick for a future or current player. If the Jags and Titans fail to win more than 7 games Belichick and the Pats brass will look like personel geniuses.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I said this to underdogg Sunday night and I'll say it to you guys now:

If pretending Tennessee is better than it is makes you feel better about your team's potential success or failure, feel free to go ahead and delude yourself, but a winless team is a winless team. What this means is that when the Pats win this game, it will not tell us very much about where they are in a larger sense. But if the implausible happens and the Pats fall on their faces again, I would say that would tell us a great deal about where they are as a team, and where they are going . . .  or more specifically, where they are not going.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

PrairieMike, Just think it's almost always a bad idea to underestimate the competition. Don't believe me...take a good look at the Giants SB thread and how many posting geniuses thought that would be blowout, despite the fact that the Giants had the highest sack total and lost to us by a mere FG the last time we played. Obviously the titans are not the giants, but the 09 Pats are not the 07 Pats either. Right now the offense doesn't look like it could blow anyone out...however...if that starts to happen I'd be all for it...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I have a job to do here, Hannah.

There are plenty of guys who pore over all the stats and look at the match-ups and are very analytical in their approach to forecasting what may or may not happen.

Me?

I'm what Jim Rome would call a "honk."

The numbers don't interest me at all and respecting the opponent interests me even less. In a way, I'm almost glad that the Pats have returned to mere mortal status. Telling the enemy you're going to beat his brains in and laugh while you do it isn't really all that much fun when both you and he know that that is exactly what is going to happen.

The truth is, I don't understand rational fan at all. I don't get what's fun about looking at a bunch of random statistics and "predicting" that if the Pats play well they might win. That's like predicting that if the earth continues to rotate, the sun will likely come up tomorrow. I'm here to engage people. There are any number of ways to do that -- but I've always found the most effective way to elicit the desired response is to stake out the fringe and work against the middle.

Where the heck is Tennessee fan this week anyway?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimKe. Show JimKe's posts

If the Patriots cannot beat Tennessee, then the only sure win

left on the schedule would be Tampa Bay. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In Response to Tenn is no pushover!:
    [QUOTE]I don't think this upcoming matchup with the Titans will be as easy as most think.  Tenn is currently #8th in Rushing behind Johnson and #3 overall at stopping the run. Despite the 0-5 start, the Titans have faced Pittsburgh,Indy, and the Jets, so their schedule has been no cupcake.  The Titans were an excellent team last season and are hungry for a win.  The Pats will have to win this game via the air, no if's and's or buts!  I don't know who the third WR is going to be, Aiken, Galloway, whatever.  But if Brady and these WR don't put up some points, this game could be an upset.
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

The Titans had a soft 2008 schedule and lost, AT HOME, to the wild card Ravens. Considering that Collins a mediocre QB and that they lost their best defensive player, not to mention a tougher '09 schedule, it's shouldn't be that surprising to see Tennessee at 0-5. Moreover, Harper, their starting CB is out.

That said, a home loss to this team would put the Pats in a tailspin, looking for answers. Won't happen.

Pats win by at least 2 TDs and hold Tennessee under 10 points. OTOH, some people may think I'm being irrational with my expectations.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

In Response to Re: Tenn is no pushover!:
    [QUOTE]I said this to underdogg Sunday night and I'll say it to you guys now: If pretending Tennessee is better than it is makes you feel better about your team's potential success or failure, feel free to go ahead and delude yourself, but a winless team is a winless team. What this means is that when the Pats win this game, it will not tell us very much about where they are in a larger sense. But if the implausible happens and the Pats fall on their faces again, I would say that would tell us a great deal about where they are as a team, and where they are going . . .  or more specifically, where they are not going.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Prairie, I still believe the Pats will win this game, but the Pats could easily be 1-4 right now.  We know what happened in the Buffalo game, but the Ravens game could also have been an upset.  A call here, a call there, and so on.  All I'm saying is the Pats aren't blowing people out like in 2007 and the Titans aren't as bad as their record dictates.  Ask your self this, would the Pats still be 3-2 with the Steelers and Colts on their schedule for the first five games?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Pmike, I don't agree with the "random statistics" part and don't tell me you don't look at the stats. I do agree that some people pour over them to the point I can't even follow the post/thread anymore but you can't take the position that stats are useless. You can say the Pats are going to kill the Titans but you also have to say why you think they will.

There are no Titan trolls, I don't think they have computers yet.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

[QUOTE]Pmike, I don't agree with the "random statistics" part and don't tell me you don't look at the stats. I do agree that some people pour over them to the point I can't even follow the post/thread anymore but you can't take the position that stats are useless. You can say the Pats are going to kill the Titans but you also have to say why you think they will. There are no Titan trolls, I don't think they have computers yet.
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

Why do I have to say why?

I'm a fan.

I don't need a reason.

Forums like this didn't exist back then, but if you were in certain parking lots and sections of the stadium, -- and within earshot, you would have heard me saying similar things thirty years ago, despite the fact that the Pats were routinely embarrassed by marginal opponents.

And I could, indeed argue, that statistics are, in fact useless.

Circumstances are always different. Teams do not play identical schedules. Matchups and strengths and weaknesses vary from opponent to opponent. What you did against A, B or C has nothing to do with what you might or might not do against D.

Stats are fun to manipulate and use as cover, but they predicate absolutely nothing.

Oh . . .   and the Titans blow.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

Their defense is the pushover, probably going to have 2 starting rookie corners this week.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]I have a job to do here, Hannah. There are plenty of guys who pore over all the stats and look at the match-ups and are very analytical in their approach to forecasting what may or may not happen. Me? I'm what Jim Rome would call a "honk." The numbers don't interest me at all and respecting the opponent interests me even less. In a way, I'm almost glad that the Pats have returned to mere mortal status. Telling the enemy you're going to beat his brains in and laugh while you do it isn't really all that much fun when both you and he know that that is exactly what is going to happen. The truth is, I don't understand rational fan at all. I don't get what's fun about looking at a bunch of random statistics and "predicting" that if the Pats play well they might win. That's like predicting that if the earth continues to rotate, the sun will likely come up tomorrow. I'm here to engage people. There are any number of ways to do that -- but I've always found the most effective way to elicit the desired response is to stake out the fringe and work against the middle. Where the heck is Tennessee fan this week anyway?
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

I understand your raw interest in simply supporting the Patriots, but as a former player and prospective coach I can't help but differ in my view.

I'm not as big of a fan of statistics, but I think they paint a partial picture about a team or player.  I LOVE watching the game and seeing or guessing how matchups will play out, though, and I'm a stickler on calling out Patriots players for things that I learned at lower levels of football because I figure if I learned it in college, high school, or Pop Warner, they really ought to know it as professionals.  As nerdy as it sounds, I wish they had a special channel for football geeks that broadcasted in 22-wide (the sky cam that always captures all 22 players on the field) so I could watch the plays develop so I could see more fun things like Welker running hard at the cornerback from the split end to draw him toward the sideline and free up Moss up in the slot to run a wide open corner route into the end zone.

And at games or when giving in to trolls, I'm a screaming, abrasive pr*ck.  I apologize both retroactively and in advance if I subject some of you to my rants (and I'd like to think I'm improving in this regard).

Sections
Shortcuts