Terrel Sands

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Re: Terrel Sands

In Response to Re: Terrel Sands:
    Laz - Size alone doesn't eat up blockers.  You have to have strength, mobility, and technique.  A big guy who can't move and can't disengage from a block isn't much help, even on runs up the gut.  If this guy were Ted Washington, he wouldn't be unsigned out there.  And Oakland has had one of the worst run defenses in the league for years, if this guy and all those others you mentioned are such great run stuffers, what happened?  Joe - Wilfork is only 6'2.
    Posted by themightypatriotz

In Oakland the D-Lineman have to dodge stray Gang gun-fire AND attempt to stuff to Run...not easy. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: Terrel Sands : In Oakland the D-Lineman have to dodge stray Gang gun-fire AND attempt to stuff to Run...not easy. 
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

And in New England, the cornerbacks have to run from muggers in their parking lots.  That explains our horrible third down D. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

In Response to Re: Terrel Sands : You're right Bel, this guy is the next Ted Washington.  It's a good thing Wilfork and Wright got hurt so we could sign him.  Mmmm, that's good kool aid. 
    Posted by themightypatriotz

I'm glad you like the kool-aid, mighty....but you know as well as I do that a lot of the league's best players come from the "trash heaps" of the various teams - what may not work out in one environment seems to fit the bill in another club.

Yes, to be an effective space clogger as a NT you have to possess above average size, strenght and mobility...MAYBE this guy can fit that description, probably not....but, you have to check out all possibilities...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wreford1. Show Wreford1's posts

In Response to Re: Terrel Sands : If he is that good he would not have been sitting at home. There is some issue - maybe it is physical or maybe in his head, but guys this big and strong do not sit around at home for weeks at a time. If the Raiders, who are desperate for defensive lineman (see the R Seymour trade), cut him then he does not have "great upside". Sorry.
    Posted by One-If-By-Sea
    The Raiders only cut him to save the 1.6 mil he was suppose to earn. Once again the PATS reap the benefits of a poorly ran Raiders organization.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

In Response to Re: Terrel Sands : The Raiders only cut him to save the 1.6 mil he was suppose to earn. Once again the PATS reap the benefits of a poorly ran Raiders organization.
    Posted by Wreford1

Like Doug Gabriel? C'mon guys - there is no free lunch in this world. Any top notch NT is worth $1.6M. After being cut why was Terdell not gobbled up? There are no other teams in the NFL that need to stop the run? There are no other teams in the NFL with injuries? I love the Pats and wish Terdell all the best here in NE, but if I drink too much kool-aid all of the sugar makes my stomach ache!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikec645. Show mikec645's posts

According to Mike Reiss's article today on ESPN Boston,  The Pats had already had Sands up for a workout and planned to sign him before Sundays game against the Falcons where Wilfork got hurt.  

The article also mentioned that he checked in at 6'8 355. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Must have to do with his technique.  Obviously hae has size and I assume the strength that comes with it. 

Makes you wonder how some guys can disengage from blocks liek Wilfork and why  others can't.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

horrible 3rd down D? Are you stuck in last year mighty cause last time i checked this year our 3rd down D has been great so what gives? I dont know if Sands is going to be a good player or just another big body but we will find out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

BIG TERD

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

horrible 3rd down D? Are you stuck in last year mighty cause last time i checked this year our 3rd down D has been great so what gives? I dont know if Sands is going to be a good player or just another big body but we will find out.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

I know right.... lol

The d is still coming together but there is no question they are tough. 

The signing of Terrel Sands will just allow N.E to run a 4-3 more frequently.

It was a good signing . Since when has the raiders organization been effective at evaluating player/personnel. He will fit right in. 

What sets Belichick apart.... he always knows his players talents and utilizes them correctly. Tully Banta Cain is a perfect example . 

One mans trash is another mans treasure 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Posted by MVPKilla2009

Yes, I am stuck in last year, or I was stuck on how to make a joke about our team after Laz made a joke about the Raiders, but the whole time I was secretly hoping it would set you off.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

I didnt read her post my bad Mighty so i didnt realize you were joking so my bad bro.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I didnt read her post my bad Mighty so i didnt realize you were joking so my bad bro.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

"Her"?  Dude Laz ain't no shemale.  lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

Love the fact some of these posters are comparing him to Ted Washington!   Ted was one of the best NT to EVER play the game.  His size was NOT his greatest asset, it was his hands and his quickness.  You simply don't find a combination of all three (size, great hands, and quickness) in most NT's.  They don't come along very often, period.   So comparing a guy who really has done nothing, to a guy who was an All Pro, is a joke!!!  I wouldn't be surprised if he was cut before he ever plays a down.  How many players have been picked up by the Pats(especially of late), that ended up being cut before we read their bio?  As a huge Pats fan I hope this guy is another diamond in the rough, but let's keep our emotions in check.........

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

ted Waqshington does not even know the meaning of quickness. He was good because he was like a brick wall at the line. He was strong, he was fat, he held his ground and he was a mean mean man. But he was not a pass rusher even in his young days he was not that guy. He was good cause no one could move him and RBs couldnt get past him. Quickness had nothing to do with it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

and my bad yet again for assuming Laz was a chick.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

There's a lot of love for Ted Washington here, considering he only played in 10 games for the Pats.I'll admit that dropping 375 lbs. of meat in the center of the line is a great way to 2-gap,but C'mon guys,he only played 10 games here gaining 2 sacks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Terdell is a monster of a man..... BEAST see if he can plug a hole in the middle
    Posted by rebels1520

I wouldn't want to be sitting next to him at the buffet table.
    Keep in mind that the guys he's standing next to aren't exactly midgets. This is one bad looking motor scooter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

TRADE FOR P.BURGESS IS VOID.HE WASN'T ACTIVE FOR ANY GAMES AND ANYONE COULD HAVE SIGNED HIM ONCE ONCE HE AS WAIVED,IT JUST HAPPENS THAT THE TEAM WAS THE PATS.SANDS WAS A N.T. IN OAKLAND AND WAS CUT BECAUSE OF HIS 1.6 MILLION HIT AGAINST THE CAP(CERTAINLY THEIR TRADE FOR SEYMOUR HAD AT LEAST SOME AFFECT ON HIS BEING WAIVED)AND N.E.HAD ALREADY WORKED HIM OUT BEFORE SIGNING HIM TO A 2 YEAR CONTRACT.AS FOR BRACE,REMEMBER HE HAD NOT PLAYED N.T. IN A 34 AT BOSTON COLLEGE EXCEPT IN SELDOM USED SETS,DON'T GIVE UP ON HIM,THE PATS HAVEN'T.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Re: Terrel Sands : artie and ALL : Never even heard of Terdell Sands 'til 15 minutes ago, but agreed with your analysis about "his potential"... Sands was drafted out of Chattanooga in 2001, but didn't, it appears get on a Starting Roster until 2003, seeing very limited action the first few years... BUT, according to his bio, this guy is getting better and better with time, each year.  Also, Only 6 years of wear on his body is great...  AND " big boy " is a freakin' understatement, Sands is 6'7 335 lbs , MUCH MORE of a physical prescence (skill besides) at Nose than Wilfork (who IS fantastic skill-wise, but has the overall height IMHO of a gap-splitter).  Sorry guys, not to gush here, BUT Pats haven't had as an intimidating  body physically  on the D-Line to center a D around since Ted Washington, who also wasn't the greatest of skilled players, but was a guy who's prescence of size alone ALWAYS it seemed needed 2-O-Lineman to account for him...  I like this pick ALOT, agree that there's an excellent upside to him, and just hope this guy's as "hungry" as he looks... He's already on the Roster given by Boston.com ... Here it is: http://boston.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=5691&team=17 Thoughts ANYONE ? 
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium
    he has grown since then 6-8 355lbs,he is a monster.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/10/02/patriots_sign_sands_to_sub_for_injured_wilfork/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Patriots+news

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: Terdell Sands

He's tall, he's heavy, BB found him at the Oakland junk sale.  Oakland has only a modest ability to judge football talent.  If he's out of here within 10 days, no big loss. 

It's Terdell versus Burger King, one on one, mano a avatar.  If Terdell sticks to his diet, no QB is ever again going to run a QB sneak on third and inches.  If not, lock up your chairs!  Crunch!  I knew a 350 pound guy who crushed right through chairs to the floor.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: Terdell Sands

In Response to Re: Terdell Sands:
    If he's out of here within 10 days, no big loss.  It's Terdell versus Burger King, one on one, mano a avatar. 
    Posted by Paul_K

Terdell lasted 12 days!  Elsewhere I kept assuming that Junior Seau would join the club eventually.  For all of this, I have earned a shiny gold star today!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: Terrel Sands : I know right.... lol The d is still coming together but there is no question they are tough.  The signing of Terrel Sands will just allow N.E to run a 4-3 more frequently. It was a good signing . Since when has the raiders organization been effective at evaluating player/personnel. He will fit right in.  What sets Belichick apart.... he always knows his players talents and utilizes them correctly. Tully Banta Cain is a perfect example .  One mans trash is another mans treasure 
    Posted by steve1581

I agree, Sands is looking like a great pickup.  Can't wait to see him on the field every game this season. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

W***T***F - we released him ???

This is beginning to look like a musical chair !!! What gives? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

With Mayo back, we'll be playing 3-4 again, and so we didn't need as many linemen but needed more LBs. So we got rid of a back-up DL and picked up a back-up LB (Seau). At least that's my take.

Sections
Shortcuts