Terrence Wheatley - Bust?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Terrence Wheatley - Bust?

Is it safe to say that our 2008 2nd round pick can at this point be classified as mega-bust? Overtaken on depth chart by everyone including Wilhite, Springs, Bodden, Butler, only 5 games active in '09 all as reserve and 4 NFL career tackles. Is their any potential in this guy? Can he still develop? Or is he basically a non-starter?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: Terrence Wheatley - Bust?

In Response to Terrence Wheatley - Bust?:
    Is it safe to say that our 2008 2nd round pick can at this point be classified as mega-bust? Overtaken on depth chart by everyone including Wilhite, Springs, Bodden, Butler, only 5 games active in '09 all as reserve and 4 NFL career tackles. Is their any potential in this guy? Can he still develop? Or is he basically a non-starter?
    Posted by murghkhor

I have to disagree with most posters views on Wheatley.  He was really coming on in the Colts game (before he got hurt).  He basically kept Harrison out of the game by breaking up everything thrown his way.  That was the third time he busted up his wrist and I honestly think he has become a little gun shy.  No, that's not good for an NFL player but I think if he can overcome that, he'll be ok.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Is his lack of playing time really due to injury?  If so, then I wouldn't call him a bust yet.  But the guy was drafted in the 2nd round and this is certainly a make or break year for him. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

where have you been? he was a bust before 2010. hello, so is whihite now, and butler played as if he's going to be also. pre-season will tell for both.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Both = Busts. Too early to tell about Butler, he showed signs of great plays and bust plays last season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I don't call him a bust yet even though I'm not high on him or Wilhite.  there were reports and comments he was hurt most of the year but his play didn't get him any playing time when he was healthy.

It is hard to say but this is his last year of what most consider a 3 year adjustment period into the NFL before most players start playing their best football.  If he does not step up this year he won't be on the team in 2011.

I beg to differ with who ever said Butler played as he would be a bust.  He played well for a rookie and showed promise.  He is talented and was heavily scouted by the Pats.  He will be the #2 this year and will make some improvements.  Wilhite and Wheately will compete for the #3 and #4 which I think they are better for.  With a good pass rush these guys should have a better season and last year all considered the CB was not the cause of the Ds problems.  They can only cover so long before someone is open.  I tell my WRs when coaching their biggest asset is when they make their break in routes and teach the QB to throw the ball to be there when they make that break.  With this in mind CB when the WRs can get to those routes and the QB can hit their 3rd or 5th step in the drop will make plays.
    Our CBs need the ball to get out early because of pressure, if that happens this year you will see more INTs and bigger plays.

Won't call these guys a bust yet although I'm not too far from making that statement, call them a disappointment right now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kG-solo. Show kG-solo's posts

How do you classify a 4th round pick as a "bust" ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Yes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

In Response to Re: Terrence Wheatley - Bust?:
    In Response to Terrence Wheatley - Bust? : I have to disagree with most posters views on Wheatley.  He was really coming on in the Colts game (before he got hurt).  He basically kept Harrison out of the game by breaking up everything thrown his way.  That was the third time he busted up his wrist and I honestly think he has become a little gun shy.  No, that's not good for an NFL player but I think if he can overcome that, he'll be ok.
    Posted by pezz4pats

Lol which was the first/second series in the game? Yeah shutting him down lol. 

Overall Butler is looking like an amazing prospect. I dont know how he can be a bust when he has only played so many games and in those games he has looked great.

Wheatley unless he makes some noise this year its a wrap. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

In Response to Re: Terrence Wheatley - Bust?:
    So far, yes.  He and Crable have been 2nd rd busts even though Wheatley at least played in some NFL games before.  
    Posted by russgriswold

Crable was a 3rd rounder. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

yep, what has he done that sticks out? they should've got Silva from BC instead.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I'd call him a bust. He seems awfully frail to play in the NFL. Just like Crable I would take injuries out of the equation and wonder why they aren't playing. I think the reason is that both Crable and Wheatley just aren't that good. Wheatley didn't do a thing all year, while Crable was IR'd for a second year. And don't tell me Crable really has potential but can't stay healthy. He was IR'd for a shin injury. A shin injury! Edelman broke his arm and the Pats had him playing with a cast because he could play.

I'm looking forward to a big year for Butler. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

I don't Wheatlely will ever get past his injuries. His wrists are continually blowing up and even had the same problem in college!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Wheatley's issues have been injury related and I am not sure if the cumulative effect has been to keep him from developing to his potential or if that is just an excuse but he has had some bad luck health wise. I am not sure what his contract is but it can't be much might as well keep him around as insurance and I am sure at the very least he might have a roll in special teams.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

I don't think it's fair to call Terrence Wheatley a "Major" Bust.  I mean sure, he has recurring injury problems, and can't get ahead on the depth chart at the easiest cornerback position to play (@ nickle), over a 5'9 guy who totally s#cks, And yea we coulda drafted in the next Round (rd 3): OGs John Greco, Jeremy Zuttah, or Oniel Cousins, or OLBs Dan Connor, Bruce Davis, or Tavares Gooden, or TE Jermichael Finley, Brad Cottam, or Craig Stevens, or WR Andre Caldwell, DE Chris Ellis, RBs Kevin Smith, Jacob Hester, Jamaal Charles, or Steve Slaton...AND picked up a draft pick in the process, OR we coulda traded the 2008 second Rd selection of Terrence Wheatley to some team for (ideally) a perenial playoff contender for their 2009 Late 1st rder and bartered one of our own future mid-rders in the process o seal the transaction, or easily traded straight up that Wheatley 2nd rder to a scrap-heap team like Detroit/KC/maybe Cleve/Oak, for one of the very first picks of the 2009 2nd rd, to get in either case, well...you probably don't wanna even know...But "Mega-Bust"...No Way. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Wheatley was drafted at the bottom of the 2nd round in '08.  On most teams' draft boards, he was probably a mid round pick.  How is he a bust?  I could see it if he were a top 10 pick and hasn't done anything, but I doubt most people's expectations were too high for this kid. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Wheatley was drafted at the bottom of the 2nd round in '08.  On most teams' draft boards, he was probably a mid round pick.  How is he a bust?  I could see it if he were a top 10 pick and hasn't done anything, but I doubt most people's expectations were too high for this kid."

So what you're sayin' is that since Terrence Wheatley was a projected 5th rder or so, He doesn't or shouldn't be counted as if New England used an actual 2nd rder on him...? 

Sections
Shortcuts