Terrence Wheatley released?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Terrence Wheatley released?

Do you guys think that Terrence Wheatley, our second round bust draft pick from a few years ago, will make the 53 man roster or be released before that? He certainly seems to be 5th or 6th on the depth chart if that. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Re: Terrence Wheatley released?

i think that if he is released he will be released after camp so we will have to wait.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Supernova13. Show Supernova13's posts

I think he stays.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I think he'll make the team being either the dime or 5th CB, battling Wilhite for that spot. Here's my predictions on CB

Starters: Bodden, Butler
    Nickel-back: McCourty
    Dime-back: Wilhite
    Extra: Wheatley

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I think we are right at the number of DBs we will carry, 9.  If Wheatley suffers another major injury he could get cut if there is someone else we like on the practice squad or sign during camp.

LCB#23 D McCourty26 J Wilhite 
    RCB29 Leigh Bodden24 Darius Butler25 T Wheatley
    SS26 B Meriweather23 Pat Chung 
    FS26 James Sanders26 B McGowan 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I don't think he makes it. He hasn't really shown anything when he's had the chance to play (season or preseason), and Kyle Arrington is a better ST player. Having Bodden, Butler, McCourty, and Wilhite (along with the 4 safeties) should be enough for any defensive set.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Special teamer, our 5th CB. Released? Maybe but I doubt it. I think we will carry 5 CBs this year. Butler and Bodden will start, McCourty will play nickle and Wilhite will play in Dime packages. Wheatley will be the injury insurance and will contribute on special teams.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

pretty much exactly what i was thinking, well said my friend.

In Response to Re: Terrence Wheatley released?:
    In Response to Re: Terrence Wheatley released? : I disagree.  I think Arrington is a slam dunk due to his Special Teams coverage dominance last year after being picked up on waivers from TB. I thought Kelley Washington was great. Arrington put on a clinic as a gunner and tackler.  For that reason alone, he has to be your 6th guy. I think Wheatley's best chance is to knock off Wilhite.  Wilhite has the edge for now, but if Wheatley surpasses Wilhite in terms of looking better as an outside depth CB or surpasses him in camp in the slot in nickel and/or dime, then he'll make it. As for now, he's the clear bubble guy, in my opinion. I seriously feel this team's STs are going to be INCREDIBLE, especially if one of these young guns emerges as a quality kick off returner. If  you take a look at] quality STs guys like Arrington, McCourty, Pierre Woods, McGowan, Aiken, etc, and then you add in Mesko as an assumed upgrade over the poor Hanson, and I think this element goes from a weakness to a major strenth, also figuring to help both the offense and defense in terms of field position. This factor was rarely talked about in terms of people pointing out the obvious offensive and defensive flaws of the club last year. So, I feel BB put a lot of stock in quality STs, and for this reason, Arrington is a borderline lock at this point barring major injury.
    Posted by russgriswold

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaPete. Show TampaPete's posts

Assuming that the Pats only keep 5 cornerbacks on the roster and that no one gets injured, either Arrington or Wheatley must go.  That is unless both Arrington and Wheatley beat out Wilhite. 

I was going to say that Wheatley has the edge on Arrington because he was a draft pick and has speed, but it turns out that Arrington has run a 4.35 40 himself besides being a monster on special teams.  He has also proven to be more durable than Wheatley and is an inch taller and 10 pounds heavier. 

It appears then that Wheatley has an uphill climb in order to stick.  I can see the Pats keeping Arrington over Wheatley if the two have more or less equal pass defense skills.

One thing Wheatley was supposed to be good at was kickoff returns and we haven't seen any of that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

I don't think Wheatley will be released. He's been hurt too much in his first two years to get a good "read" on his abilities.

He really appeared to be coming into his own in 2008 when he broke his arm, or whatever it was, in the Sunday night game at Indy. Last year he looked a little lost, but then again, the entire secondary was hung out to dry far too many times by the pass rush last season.

Sometimes when you draft a guy with an injury history in college, the injury history comes with him to the pros. It's been said in some places that the only reason the Pats were able to draft him so late in the second round to begin with was his history of not staying on the field at Colorado.

I think they give him one more year, however. It's too early to just dump him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pjmj430. Show pjmj430's posts

you can never have enough dbacks...and dont be suprized to see the pats keep 12 dbacks including slater as well
    b,b,m,w,w,a,s  c,s,m,m    7 corners and 4 safties right there

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Wheatley as insurance? Bad idea. He was burned for 2-3 TD's in the preseason last year against the late Chris Henry on 1 on 1 coverage, can't stay healthy, and hasn't proven he can beat out Wilhite (an average performer at best). How does that inspire confidence? Injuries are a very convenient cop out. He was healthy plenty of last year and made no impact. Why didn't he play last year when he was healthy? Was Wilhite lighting the world on fire?

If there's a need for a fifth DB, pick up a guy that doesn't make the cut from a team that's deep at CB. That guy should certainly be better than Wheatley. 

Again, watch the preseason game last year vs Cincinatti. I think Belichick purposely put Wheatley on an island, and Wheatley pooped his pants. It wasn't even competitive. If they're relying on Wheatley to cover one on one against anyone the Pats are in deep trouble.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbrew46. Show bostonbrew46's posts

I believe this is a tough decision for BB. He hasnt really had that long to deveolp as a cb and it seems like every time he s in he s getting toasted by a wideout. I think we re deep at the cornerback position and finally have some good talent that we ve been lacking these past few years at the position. I dont believe he makes the final roster.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

i think he gets released because Kyle Arrington is just as good as him and is a special teams ace

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

If nobody is injured in August and nobody else busts, I could see Wheatley being traded and then the Pats switch seventh rounders with another team.  That price would be worth about half of getting a seventh round pick for Wheatley.  If I were, say, the Chicago Bears I'd do the swap.  A trade versus a release also steers Wheatley away from the Jets and Dolphins and toward an NFC team.    

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

In Response to Re: Terrence Wheatley released?:
    lol why would we care if Jets or Dolphins hire Wheatley. He sux.
    Posted by murghkhor

I know that hindsight is 20/20, but I remember being so completely ticked off when BB waisted a 2nd rounder on this bum.  He had MAJOR wrist surgery twice on the same wrist to the point he can't even move it down to grab and tackle someone!! And then in his first year, he breaks it AGAIN and goes on IR.  He's one of the  prime examples that N.E. ihas been one of the WORST drafters in the past 4 or 5 years.  I think BB thinks too hard and tries to prove he's a genius with every pick by thinking "outside the box". 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

I think Wheatley if can have an okay camp will make the team. The roster at DBs seems pretty good to me. Devin,Leigh, Darius, Jon, and Wheatley? Good to me

Sections
Shortcuts