TE's will make Pats versatile and unstoppable

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

TE's will make Pats versatile and unstoppable

Think about what Crumpler, Gronkowski, and Hernandez will bring to this offense.  Remember how the edge of the line crumbled with Watson getting plowed over, everytime Maroney seemed to be creeping around the outside.  Won't it be nice to watch Crumpler seal that edge?  Remember how many times you wished we had an fullback or H-Back that weighed more than the guy with the ball?  Wouldn't it be nice to have someone bigger than Wes Welker to chip block Dwight Freeney?  Remember how Brady only threw to Watson if the safety was injured on the other team?  Think it might be fun to see how teams defend two stud rookie TE's with good hands? 

Now....  do you remember Ben Coates?  Do you remember having the man that could not be covered in the red zone?  By the way...  that's Randy Moss in the other corner of the endzone.

I think Bill is going a bit more old-school this year. The 2 TE offense is gonna make Maroney look like a Pro-Bowler.  I can't wait.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Re: TE's will make Pats versatile and unstoppable

at above i have to also agree Maroney won't look like a stud pro-bowler but he will have better numbers if healthy. jmmy here brings some valid point though, the Pats offense will be strong and versatile this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

Maroney might look very good... its too tough to tell but i can guarantee u he'll be better because the past few years the pats have lost the physicality in the running game and with crumpler and the new TE's, we've gotten it back.. I think maroney is a toss up, its been a bunch of problems with the running game.... The love with passing, losing physicality, defenders in the backfield before the ball gets to the goal line... And the long runs have been missing because most of those come from blockers down the field... The new TE's will help in that regard as well... Also loved watching vollmer block down the field last yr...
    I def. also think the new TE's have the potential to make us deadly in the redzone once again... where we were really horrible last yr. Last year it was simple, they either run or look to throw to moss. Now we might have improved run blocking along with 3 new options in the redzone... Crumplers not fast but hes def. a target in the redzone...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

actually watson turned into a decent blocker, although not at the level of a daniel graham or crumpler. but i agree i am very excited about gronk and hernandez, i think we will see a bit of a new look offense this year. and apparently crumpler has been working out intensively with some guru the past week and will be in good shape. he's surprisingly not that old even though it feels like he's been around forever...i have a feeling he will be a big part of the offense this year. now if he only had a good RB to block for...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to TE's will make Pats versatile and unstoppable:
    Think about what Crumpler, Gronkowski, and Hernandez will bring to this offense.  Remember how the edge of the line crumbled with Watson getting plowed over, everytime Maroney seemed to be creeping around the outside.  Won't it be nice to watch Crumpler seal that edge?  Remember how many times you wished we had an fullback or H-Back that weighed more than the guy with the ball?  Wouldn't it be nice to have someone bigger than Wes Welker to chip block Dwight Freeney?  Remember how Brady only threw to Watson if the safety was injured on the other team?  Think it might be fun to see how teams defend two stud rookie TE's with good hands?  Now....  do you remember Ben Coates?  Do you remember having the man that could not be covered in the red zone?  By the way...  that's Randy Moss in the other corner of the endzone. I think Bill is going a bit more old-school this year. The 2 TE offense is gonna make Maroney look like a Pro-Bowler.  I can't wait.
    Posted by jmmyslinski

IF BB re-incorporates TEs back into the offense apart from blocking - it certainly makes the offense more flexible. But, Crump and Gronk ain't done nothin for the Patriots yet.

Unstoppable? Not when they haven't addressed their greatest weakness of pass rush problems....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

No need to trash ex players just to support the Pats. If the Pats could get Seymour back you should be giddy. He had a career high in 2008 with 8 sacks. the only game he missed (that windy game in Buffalo) they were gashed at his position in a game where passing wasn't really an option. They missed Seymour a ton last year and it is an issue they haven't addressed with one person. G Warren and D Lewis are retreads, while the younger players will need time to develop. 

In Response to Re: TE's will make Pats versatile and unstoppable:
    As for the pass rush comment. Let's see how it shakes out.  I agree it was clearly a problem, but if anyone remembers, it was a problem with Seymour in 2008 as well. Remember all those 3rd down completions they allowed?  Yeah, I do too.  And it was to teams like SF.  People want to avoid bagging on the Seymours and Vrabels because of past accomplishments, but they are not the players they once were.  They were almost invisible in 2008.  Obsiouly, Adalius got worse in 2009.  Let's see how a healthy Warren, or an improving Wright or someone else does on the Ends this year. Let's see who shakes out opposite Banta-Cain.  As much as I agree it's a major problem, I think BB likes who he has.
    Posted by russgriswold

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Seymour was disappointing from 2005-2007 but 2008 was a pretty good year for him, against the pass and the run.  Wilfork wasn't the only one drawing double teams, and I recall plenty of critical moments each of the past few seasons when Wilfork got his fat a** handed to him by a single blocker - we blame Caldwell and the refs for the 2006 AFCC loss, but it was Wilfork who got plowed aside on the Colts go ahead TD run. 

Seymour would definitely be better at RE than anyone we have but I'm glad we have the 2011 pick instead. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

I always admire the optimism around here.  Unstoppable?  Yes, if Moss decides to give some effort.  If Welker can recover from injury.  If Gronk can recover from his injury, get back into football shape, adjust to the Pro game, and avoid further injuries. If Hernandez can stay away from the ganja.  If edelman develops further.  And most importantly, if Brady can return to Pro Bowl form.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I think they allowed that TD run on purpose not because Wilfork all of a sudden quit or forgot how to play NT.  It was to save time for Brady for one last TD try. That's how I read that, anyway.  It was like the Red Sea opening for Moses.
    Posted by russgriswold

We were up by 3 and had a time out.  We allow the TD and we're down by 4 with 1:00 and one time out.  Stop them and we're tied with 1:00 and no time outs.  Wilfork simply got beat, like he did on the long Baltimore TD run.  It happens to everyone.  That's all I'm saying - no one's invincible, anything can happen, and most of the time it comes down to luck. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

i think its pretty hilarious that the pats now have two pro-bowl TE's when they never really use them and two of the 3 on the roster are rookies, one of which played in a gimmick offense

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

the pats missed seymour when he was here...

the raiders are going to get taken to the cleaners if they extend that dude..thats ad-redux...westcoast style...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

A gimmick offense like the Dolphins?  haha Clueless. "The Pats don't use TEs". I love this line. Always have. Guess what?? They'll use them now and if Gronkowski resemebles Antonio gates even at 75% or Hernandez resembles Dallas Clark at 75%, defenses are in severe trouble, especially in the red zone.
    Posted by russgriswold

actually after ronnie brown was injured, they barely used the wild-cat at all...you may remember as chad henne torched the pats

and really...the pats dont use their TE's, at least BB doesnt gameplan for them(which to a certain extent is reasonable with the talent at WR), but the 3 yard screen to welker was a tad predictable last year and could have easily used watson and baker more effectively with all the heat on moss and welker

and you are talking about hall of fame talent at the TE position in those two players...if all TE's were 75% of those guys, it would be a QB to TE driven league...and as much passing as there is today...it isnt like that

care to retract your statement or at least browse the non-fiction section?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

and lil  bill talked about (after draft) how he sees league changin again...and there will be more power running... maybe we could do that last year with the "tight ends" we had...  now we have two OT type tight ends..hmmmnnnnn..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

Wow..Gronkowski is now possibly a 75 % Gates..and Hernandez a 75 % Dallas Clark ? Just like Graham and Watson were I guess ("this time I just know it will be different..I just know it").
    You left out Jason Witten.
    No offense is unstoppable, the Pats in 2007 were pretty close..and they were stopped cold by the NYGiants.
    Enough with the chest puffery.
    And Jabari Howard (4th round) and David Thomas (3rd round) were other average/below average TE's drafted by the Pats.
    Point..is..you don't have any clue how they will develop. So stop with the "we just drafted 2 all pros"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: TE's will make Pats versatile and unstoppable : actually after ronnie brown was injured, they barely used the wild-cat at all...you may remember as chad henne torched the pats and really...the pats dont use their TE's, at least BB doesnt gameplan for them(which to a certain extent is reasonable with the talent at WR), but the 3 yard screen to welker was a tad predictable last year and could have easily used watson and baker more effectively with all the heat on moss and welker and you are talking about hall of fame talent at the TE position in those two players...if all TE's were 75% of those guys, it would be a QB to TE driven league...and as much passing as there is today...it isnt like that care to retract your statement or at least browse the non-fiction section?
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0

I love it when Miami fans bring up the one god game that Henne had last year.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: TE's will make Pats versatile and unstoppable : Yeah, quite a "torch" job by Chad Henne.  21 points at home. Wow.  That's just a "torching". I am chuckling at goobers like yourself who are incredibly jealous of the Pats who try to rationalize why NE will not be good anymore and why your team is somehow going to surge right past them with a weaker QB and a weaker coach. In the red zone IT IS A QB/TE driven league or a run with the RB. Why do you think teams all went TE heavy in the draft? Pats go 13-3 or 14-2 last year if they had Gronkowski and Hernandez as options in the red zone. That simple.  They did not score in the red zone with missed FGs or 4th down tries many times.  They also settled for FGs, only to lose games. The Miami secondary was awful last year and it made them look much better because they always knew what NE was doing. Not anymore.
    Posted by russgriswold

ugh, pats fans such as yourself drive me to drink more than i already do...let me guess...you became a fan in 2001?

im not even remotely jealous of the pats as the dolphins are a very proud franchise with super bowl titles to their credit, many, many hall of fame players, a hall of fame coach and a great legacy in the state of florida and in the NFL...do you get me...I HAVE NOTHING TO BE JEALOUS ABOUT

oh...and i believe henne threw for over 300 yards in that game? how many qb's have done that against belichick? nevermind the fact he was a first year starter

im guessing alot of TE's that were picked in the draft because there were alot of senior TE's in college who project to be more than blockers...but comparing hall of fame talent with a couple of rookies is ignorant man, sorry but there is just no way else to describe it...look...i get it...you are excited and you think they will do well...but rookies in the nfl are anyone's guess...they may show signs and be inconsistent, they may never see the field, they could be great from day one, who knows?

and yes, miami's secondary was awful last year...which is why we basically drafted front seven help...but its rookies...so who knows how they will do...are you seeing a theme here yet?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: TE's will make Pats versatile and unstoppable : I love it when Miami fans bring up the one god game that Henne had last year.....
    Posted by m1021us

um, welp...he played pretty well in every game within the division except the buffalo game on the road...

but then again, there is no way henne could improve with continued maturity, ronnie and ricky doin their thing, bess and camarillo improving as well as that other guy...um....oh yeah, pro-bowl talented brandon marshall

things really couldnt have gone any worse for the phins last year and they still won 7 games...

so if they stay healthy and enjoy their easier schedule...things should only go up for us

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Wow..Gronkowski is now possibly a 75 % Gates..and Hernandez a 75 % Dallas Clark ? Just like Graham and Watson were I guess ("this time I just know it will be different..I just know it"). You left out Jason Witten. No offense is unstoppable, the Pats in 2007 were pretty close..and they were stopped cold by the NYGiants. Enough with the chest puffery. And Jabari Howard (4th round) and David Thomas (3rd round) were other average/below average TE's drafted by the Pats. Point..is..you don't have any clue how they will develop. So stop with the "we just drafted 2 all pros"
    Posted by rocher

I'm sorry you don't like people that are optimistic about their team. I'm sure someone is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to read these egregious posts. Will you be back after the season to apologize to those people if they are right?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to TE's will make Pats versatile and unstoppable:
     The 2 TE offense is gonna make Maroney look like a Pro-Bowler.  I can't wait.
    Posted by jmmyslinski

I agree with most of what you stated. Having those three TEs will be great, as long as they are healthy, on the other hand the only way I see maroney looking like a be pro-bowler is if he racks up more yards than any other RB in the league

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Here's a thought for all the ponderers to chew on,how about controlling the ball for large chunks of time before putting up the TD's that you know are coming this year? Thats right chew up the clock on Offense and your Defense will be vastly improved! One things for sure Defensively with Spikes in the middle with Mayo and their main b/u being McIntyre it's not going to be easy to gash the middle of the line for an 80 yard run to open a game.So if they can muster any type of outside presence in the form of a pass rush even if it's just hurrying the QB it'll help immensely. Do they have the players too accomplish this? Yeah,but are they ready to give 100%? Only time and games played will tell.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: TE's will make Pats versatile and unstoppable : How many rejects post here?  Apparently, a lot. I never said they ARE 75%, I said IF THEY CAN BE. With Tom Brady as your QB, it's pretty difficult to fail in this offense.  He's turned average or even poor WRs into very good WRs when they have played in NE. We know the list. This is not an opinion, it's a fact. Barring injury and based on their domination at their respective schools, Gronkowski and Hernandez should flourish in this offense. Hernandez won the Mackey Award as a sophmore.  Dallas Clark won it as a senior. Give me a 75% of what Clark is in this offense, and I'll be thrilled. Please learn to read, dummies.  My good god.
    Posted by russgriswold

Wow, you're a total dou.che.  Aren't you the one who wrote this:

"I have been saying this for a while now and I am giddy they went out and got essentially two Pro Bowl potential young TEs and a quality veteran at the position.  No more issues in the red zone.   Good luck to defenses trying to cover a lone setback formation with 2 TEs, Welker/Edelman and Moss.  You can't double Moss and/or Welker anymore with TE/H-Back weaponry like thisNE finally appears to have their Antonio Gates and a Dallas Clark type on the field at the same time. The results of this upgrade spell doom for opposing Ds. NE lost 4 games last year, on the road, because they didn't really score any points, literally.

And yes, expect the O Line to look better as well as the running game because of this"

I would say Rocher's comments are spot on.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

In Response to Re: TE's will make Pats versatile and unstoppable : Wow, you're a total dou.che.  Aren't you the one who wrote this: "I have been saying this for a while now and I am giddy they went out and got essentially two Pro Bowl potential young TEs and a quality veteran at the position.  No more issues in the red zone .   Good luck to defenses trying to cover a lone setback formation with 2 TEs, Welker/Edelman and Moss.  You can't double Moss and/or Welker anymore with TE/H-Back weaponry like this .  NE finally appears to have their Antonio Gates and a Dallas Clark type on the field at the same time . The results of this upgrade spell doom for opposing Ds . NE lost 4 games last year, on the road, because they didn't really score any points, literally. And yes, expect the O Line to look better as well as the running game because of this" I would say Rocher's comments are spot on.
    Posted by themightypatriotz

Tnx mighty.. the stars in the eyes homers here are just as bad as the trolls they despise. A little balance and perspective is sometimes needed.
    Russ claims to be an older person, yet he is the giddiest of schoolgirls on here when it comes to his beloved Pats. He might still have posters all over his room of his heros. He seems more like the age of his moniker, badgering and name calling. He is the toughest of toughest internet guys, didn't you know. He claims to be smart, yet magically has claimed for 2 all pro TE's, doesn't seem concerned about giving up 230 yards in the Bal game on the ground. Or that the defense hasn't stopped anyone in a meaningful game in years. But keep blaming that pretty good, balanced offense that will probably stay the same as 2 TE's help offset the loss of Welker.

" Hey Rusty, don't let your mother smell that beer on your breath.."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

First off I agree we don't know how Gronk or Hernandez will turn out but the chances of both being busts is extreemly unlikely. Crumpler will be a great teacher and I think Hernandez could be a Ben Coates Type TE. Crumpler was so highly thought of by C. Johnson he tried to get the team to ante up to resign him... even being quoted as saying, "Crumpler is directly responsible for 400 of my yards."
    Sounds to me like he is bound to improve our RB's chances of gaining positive yards. 

If it works the way BB thinks it will watch out this team is going to be a mix of shove it down your throat and then when the teams stack up to stop the power game they will go deep to put it away. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

In Response to Re: TE's will make Pats versatile and unstoppable : I'm sorry you don't like people that are optimistic about their team. I'm sure someone is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to read these egregious posts. Will you be back after the season to apologize to those people if they are right?
    Posted by ewhite1065

Toughen up big guy. Instead of crying. Refute my points. Nobody is going anywhere. Being optimistic and being a blowhard are 2 different things. Which one are you ? I'm not going anywhere..and remember not everyone is a homer. Go start your own fan site if so sensitive in a public forum. Or start handing out private membership rings for your approved level of discussion.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

I watched in disbelief as Ray Rice ran for 70 or so yards on the 1st play from scrimmage in the HOME playoff game. Talk about putting your offense in the hole.

"Ah Rusty that's nothing to be proud of..50 yards...."

Sections
Shortcuts