Texans @ Patriots REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Texans @ Patriots REPORT CARD

Wow! Considering their injury situation, and the quality of the competition, the New England Patriots turned in their finest performance of the season, in trouncing the Texans, 42-14. This huge win means that by winning their final three games, home against the 49ers and 'Fins, and a roadie at Jacksonville, that the Pats will ensure themselves of no worse than a second overall seeding in the AFC title tournament, and a first round playoff bye. Here are my grades:

I. OFFENSE: Despite being Gronkless and having 60% of their starting OL nowhere near 100%, this group performed like a well oiled machine, particularly on their first three drives of the game...all of which resulted in TDs. After jumping to a 21-0, the game was all but over.

1.) QB: Tom Brady turned in perhaps his finest performance of the season, complting 21 of 35 passes, for 296 yards, four TDs, no deflected passes that I can remember, and no interceptions. During the Pats' lethal first three drives, Tom was particularly sharp with his ball handling, accuracy, and his ability to read and react to whatever the Texans' "D" threw at him. Much criticized at times for his inaccuracy on deep throws, Tom was dead on in hitting Wes Welker for 25 yards, setting up the Pats' first TD...Brandon Lloyd for 37 yards, and the Pats' second TD...and a gorgeous 63 yard hook-up to Donte' Stallworth in the third quarter, which increased his teams' lead at the time to 28-0. Tom Terrific performed so well that even hardened Patriots' critics Steve Young was touting him for league MVP...a refreshing thing, after all the media talk about how ol' Horseface in Denver is closing in on the award. GRADE: A+

2.) RBs: The Pats established enough of a ground game to keep the Texans' "D" honest, and outgained Arian Foster and his Texans, 130yds. - 100yds. for the game. Stevan Ridley rushed for 72 yards on 18 carries, including a 14 yard TD run for the Pats final score of the game. But, Ridley fumbled at the Texan 3 yard line, as the Pats were driving for their initial score. This occurred when he got stood up by two Houston tacklers, and had the ball striped from him by a third. Fortunately, the fumble did not prove costly...Aaron Hernandez was able to pounce on it. Another good job on limited carries by Shane Vereen, who carried 8 times for 40 yards. Danny Woodhead chipped in with a pair of pass receptions for 34 yards. On one of those plays, Woody broke two tackles and was rambling toward the goal line, when Houston's J.J. Watt came up behind him and punched the ball out of his arm. But, as was the case with the Ridley fumble, the Pats' lucked out.  Brandon Lloyd was able to fall on the lose ball in the endzone, for the Pats' fifth TD...which increased the Pats lead to 35-7.   GRADE: C+;     

3.) OL: An outstanding game by the hulking, waking wounded. Though J.J. Watt certainly made his presence felt, he was not allowed to disrupt the game. The Big Uglies gave their QB ample time to operate...and operate he did. They also opened enough running room to keep the offense multi-dimemsional. Other than Watt, seldom was heard anything but discouraging words from the remainder of the Texans' front seven. Though Tom Terrific was hit more often than I'd like to see, the OL did a great job against top competition, in a big time game: GRADE: A-;

4.) TEs and WRs: Though Aaron Hernandez has had better games statistically, this certainly was one of his finest hours as a Patriot. Hernandez had 8 receptions for 58 yards, two TDs, and that aforementioned alert fumble recovery on the Pats' initial drive. As for the WRs, Brandon Lloyd turned in his best game of the season, with 7 catches for 89 yards, and two TDs (one on his above mentioned recovery of the Woodhead fumble). Donte' Stallworth made a splash, combining with Brady on a beautiful 63 yard TD hook-up. Unfortunately, Stallworth suffered a high ankle sprain on this play, and will be out for the remainder of the season. Look for Deion Branch to brought back again. Last but not least, Wes Welker had only three catches for 53 yards. But, one of those catches, a 25 yard grab...and his prior 31 yard punt return, set up the Pats' first TD. Welker also drew two key penalties to keep drives alive, including a questionable PI call, which led to the Pats' second TD. Though Wes has had better stats in other games, he was a key contributor in this one. GRADE: A+;

II. DEFENSE: This group turned in their best performance of the season, in limiting Houston star RB Arian Foster to just 46 yards on 15 carries...and holding Texans' QB Matt Schaub to under 250 yards passing.

1.) DL: Vince Wilfolk was immense. The big man had his best outing since the 2011 AFC title game, finishing with 4 tackles, a forced fumble, a sack, a pass deflection, and a tackle for loss. Yet, the stats don't show how instrumental Vince was in clogging the running lanes, and collapsing the pass pocket throughout the evening. Rob Ninkovich had an outstanding game at DE, as he seemingly was everywhere. Brandon Deaderick and DE Trevor Scott also were top contributors...Deaderick primarily against the run, and Scott earning a sack. With Chandler Jones on the mend, the Pats have to feel good about their DL, come play-off time: GRADE: A;     

2.) LBs: As usual, Jerod Mayo led the team in tackles. But, what was unusual was how the Pats deployed him in blitz packages. Twice Mayo was able to tag Schaub on blitzes, forcing hurried, errant throws. Dont'a Hightower had his best game in some time, with 5 tackles, including two for losses. Brandon Spikes helped to clog the middle, seemingly forcing the Texans to run wide. In coverage, there were some issues. Arian Foster was effective coming out of the backfield. But, little was heard from Houston TEs, Owen Daniel or others: GRADE: B+;

3.) SECONDARY:  Adding CB Aqib Talib has seemingly transformed the Pats' defensive unit from a passive bend but don't break bunch, to an aggressive, hard charging crew. Unfortunately, Talib went down with some kind of hip injury, when he went to the ground while defensing a pass to Andre Johnson. But, he left the field on his own power, and remainded on the bench thereafter, rather than adjourning to the locker room. This gives some hope that his injury isn't too serious. Speaking of injuries, rookie CB Alfonzo Dennard also left the game, after tweaking his hamstring. Prior to that, both Talib and Dennard played well. Huge red zone interception by Devin McCourty killed an early Houston scoring drive, when the Pats were only up, 7-0. This pick seemed to deflate both Schaub and the Houston offense...and both never recovered. Kyle Arrington and Steve Gregory covered fairly well. They each finishing with four tackles...all solos: GRADE: A-;   

III. SPECIAL TEAMS: One of the biggest plays of this game was Wes Welker's 31 yard punt return, early in the first quarter. It gave Brady and the 'Boys a short field to master on their initial drive. The kick coverage was excellent, and Zoltan "The Magnificent" averaged 48 yards per kick: GRADE: B+;

IV. COACHING:  Masterful job by BB and his staff. The first scripted 15-20 plays worked to near perfection, as the offense scored TDs on their first three drives. Credit Josh McDaniels for the way he schemed to free up Wes Welker and Aaron Hernandez. Credit him also evolving after the Gronk injury. Great work in getting both Brandon Lloyd and Dont'a Stallworth involved in the game plan...as the Patriots were anything but predictable. But, let's give a game ball to OL coach Donte Scarnecchia. Nothing is possible even for this Brady led offense, if the OL doesn't provide Tom with ample time. Though J.J. Watt was credited with three QB hits on Brady, it seemed to be more like 5. But, the Big Uglies never allowed Watt to ruin the play of the offense.  Though Matt Patricia and secondary coach Josh Boyer have been under fire all year, somehow, someway, the secondary has improved. The point of improvement seems to coincide with the acquisition of Aqib Talib. This has allowed the Pats to move Devin McCourty to what appears to be his best position...free safety. Credit the coaching staff also for having the courage to start rookie Alfonzo Dennard at CB, and sit down the erratic, injury proned Patrick Chung. The Pats took the TEs out of the game, and handled what appears to be a somewhat fading Andre Johnson. Flat passes were open all night long to Arian Foster. But, the Texans never seemed to take full advantage. Excellent usage of Jerod Mayo. Blitzing him up the middle on occasion seemed to rattle Texans' QB, Matt Schaub. Great job all around by BB, in a game that the Pats badly needed to have: GRADE: A+;    

V. PLAY OF THE GAME: There were so many big plays made by the Pats in this win, that it's hard to pinpoint just one. But, I'm going to go with the above mentioned Devin McCourty pick. With the Pats' up 7-0, and the Texans' moving downfield to answer, the McCourty pick in the redzone deflated the Texans. Subsequently, when the Pats marched down field to take a 14-0 lead on the Brady to Lloyd 37 yard hook-up, it seemed to take the starch out of the Texans.

VI. PLAYER OF HE GAME: Tom Brady, with honorable mention to Vince Wilfolk, and Wes Welker.

Here are the game stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=321210017. As always, your comments and opinions are welcome.

Sorry about having to do this piece-meal. But, this lousy system employed by Dottie is extremely frustrating, and difficult to work with. What used to take me an hour and a half to do, now takes twice that, if I'm lucky. I lost this report card about 2/3 of the way through, due to bugs in the system which seem to time you out...and freezes up the key-board. Though I've complained about this now for weeks, nothing has, or seemingly will be done.                       

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Texans @ Patriots REPORT CARD

Tex how about Ninko? I must admit I was wrong on Nink at the start of the season. I was a little harsh on him saying he didn't do much of anything out there but this guy is making plays every week and big ones. Sack fumble on Shaub, and a great edge sealing 1 armed tackle on Arian Foster. Nink has been a quiet force at the end of the line!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Hey tex...  I've been called a homer but like Paul k. its hard to deny a great team when it's hittin you upside the head... That said this week presents entirely new challenges and I hope the pats don't read too much press...  Especially ESPN who is suddenly loving all over this team .  Gross its so fake.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Tex how about Ninko? I must admit I was wrong on Nink at the start of the season. I was a little harsh on him saying he didn't do much of anything out there but this guy is making plays every week and big ones. Sack fumble on Shaub, and a great edge sealing 1 armed tackle on Arian Foster. Nink has been a quiet force at the end of the line!

You werent wrong on Ninco, because he wasn't doing much early on. He's doing better now, so now he gets the props.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

One of the most satisfying wins in some time. Great game all around, Gronk's coming back soon, hopefully Talib and Dennard aren't severely injured, and Jones is returning. We are set.

The O is scoring almost at will, and the D keeps improving. While still ranked near the bottom in yardage, they are 11th in scoring, only 0.1 point after the celebrated Ravens D. 

While shaky in September and October, this team has steadily improved and is playing lights out as of now.

I think your grades are spot on, but don't you usually include a mark for coaching?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Tex...always a great post from you in grading. I always look forward to your candid talk, even though like me you get accused of negativity!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

I mentioned him favorably in my DL segment, above. Nink was outstanding. You weren't the only one "wrong" about him. I too didn't see him as a viable option at DE.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Good read Pat. This def has improved all season, they look far more confident.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

Hey tex...  I've been called a homer but like Paul k. its hard to deny a great team when it's hittin you upside the head... That said this week presents entirely new challenges and I hope the pats don't read too much press...  Especially ESPN who is suddenly loving all over this team .  Gross its so fake.

Hey Cool! I've got to hand it to you...you were right...and I'm very happy that you were! Still, the Pats have work to do. Pats' fans shouldn't get too carried away with this win. Remember that in 2010, that the Pats embarrassed the Jets 45-3...only to lose to them in the play-offs.    

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to DanishPastry's comment:

One of the most satisfying wins in some time. Great game all around, Gronk's coming back soon, hopefully Talib and Dennard aren't severely injured, and Jones is returning. We are set.

The O is scoring almost at will, and the D keeps improving. While still ranked near the bottom in yardage, they are 11th in scoring, only 0.1 point after the celebrated Ravens D. 

While shaky in September and October, this team has steadily improved and is playing lights out as of now.

I think your grades are spot on, but don't you usually include a mark for coaching?

I have to do the card pice-meal now...because of this awful new system. I've added the coaching grade. See my original report card post, above.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

Great job Texas, this is the post I used to look for after every game. It seems that our defense keeps improving and one thing I've noticed is that Donte Hightower is becoming the most versitile player on the defense. A lot like Vrable was, I saw him line up to blitz on the outside 4 times and he was very unpredictable. Once he dropped in coverage on the TE, the next time he stunted to a middle blitz, the next time he went, and the in the 4th quarter he covered Fossett coming out of the backfield. He jammed a slot a few times and made plays both on the inside and outside. Its nice to draft 2 players in the first round who are going to be key players in our future. 

I know you were harsh on the Pats early this year but you must see admit now that they have greatly improved. As I agree they still have a lot to get better at as well, 3rd and long is still a scary situation for our defense to be in. But thats why we have discussion boards, not everyone has to agree. Enjoy reading your post, thanks Texas

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1807930. Show user_1807930's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Wow! Considering their injury situation, and the quality of the competition, the New England Patriots turned in their finest performance of the season, in trouncing the Texans, 42-14. This huge win means that by winning their final three games, home against the 49ers and 'Fins, and a roadie at Jacksonville, that the Pats will ensure themselves of no worse than a second overall seeding in the AFC title tournament, and a first round playoff bye. Here are my grades:

I. OFFENSE: Despite being Gronkless and having 60% of their starting OL nowhere near 100%, this group performed like a well oiled machine, particularly on their first three drives of the game...all of which resulted in TDs. After jumping to a 21-0, the game was all but over.

1.) QB: Tom Brady turned in perhaps his finest performance of the season, complting 21 of 35 passes, for 296 yards, four TDs, no deflected passes that I can remember, and no interceptions. During the Pats' lethal first three drives, Tom was particularly sharp with his ball handling, accuracy, and his ability to read and react to whatever the Texans' "D" threw at him. Much criticized at times for his inaccuracy on deep throws, Tom was dead on in hitting Wes Welker for 25 yards, setting up the Pats' first TD...Brandon Lloyd for 37 yards, and the Pats' second TD...and a gorgeous 63 yard hook-up to Donte' Stallworth in the third quarter, which increased his teams' lead at the time to 28-0. Tom Terrific performed so well that even hardened Patriots' critics Steve Young was touting him for league MVP...a refreshing thing, after all the media talk about how ol' Horseface in Denver is closing in on the award. GRADE: A+

2.) RBs: The Pats established enough of a ground game to keep the Texans' "D" honest, and outgained Arian Foster and his Texans, 130yds. - 100yds. for the game. Stevan Ridley rushed for 72 yards on 18 carries, including a 14 yard TD run for the Pats final score of the game. But, Ridley fumbled at the Texan 3 yard line, as the Pats were driving for their initial score. This occurred when he got stood up by two Houston tacklers, and had the ball striped from him by a third. Fortunately, the fumble did not prove costly...Aaron Hernandez was able to pounce on it. Another good job on limited carries by Shane Vereen, who carried 8 times for 40 yards. Danny Woodhead chipped in with a pair of pass receptions for 34 yards. On one of those plays, Woody broke two tackles and was rambling toward the goal line, when Houston's J.J. Watt came up behind him and punched the ball out of his arm. But, as was the case with the Ridley fumble, the Pats' lucked out.  Brandon Lloyd was able to fall on the lose ball in the endzone, for the Pats' fifth TD...which increased the Pats lead to 35-7.   GRADE: C+;     

3.) OL: An outstanding game by the hulking, waking wounded. Though J.J. Watt certainly made his presence felt, he was not allowed to disrupt the game. The Big Uglies gave their QB ample time to operate...and operate he did. They also opened enough running room to keep the offense multi-dimemsional. Other than Watt, seldom was heard anything but discouraging words from the remainder of the Texans' front seven. Though Tom Terrific was hit more often than I'd like to see, the OL did a great job against top competition, in a big time game: GRADE: A-;

4.) TEs and WRs: Though Aaron Hernandez has had better games statistically, this certainly was one of his finest hours as a Patriot. Hernandez had 8 receptions for 58 yards, two TDs, and that aforementioned alert fumble recovery on the Pats' initial drive. As for the WRs, Brandon Lloyd turned in his best game of the season, with 7 catches for 89 yards, and two TDs (one on his above mentioned recovery of the Woodhead fumble). Donte' Stallworth made a splash, combining with Brady on a beautiful 63 yard TD hook-up. Unfortunately, Stallworth suffered a high ankle sprain on this play, and will be out for the remainder of the season. Look for Deion Branch to brought back again. Last but not least, Wes Welker had only three catches for 53 yards. But, one of those catches, a 25 yard grab...and his prior 31 yard punt return, set up the Pats' first TD. Welker also drew two key penalties to keep drives alive, including a questionable PI call, which led to the Pats' second TD. Though Wes has had better stats in other games, he was a key contributor in this one. GRADE: A+;

II. DEFENSE: This group turned in their best performance of the season, in limiting Houston star RB Arian Foster to just 46 yards on 15 carries...and holding Texans' QB Matt Schaub to under 250 yards passing.

1.) DL: Vince Wilfolk was immense. The big man had his best outing since the 2011 AFC title game, finishing with 4 tackles, a forced fumble, a sack, a pass deflection, and a tackle for loss. Yet, the stats don't show how instrumental Vince was in clogging the running lanes, and collapsing the pass pocket throughout the evening. Rob Ninkovich had an outstanding game at DE, as he seemingly was everywhere. Brandon Deaderick and DE Trevor Scott also were top contributors...Deaderick primarily against the run, and Scott earning a sack. With Chandler Jones on the mend, the Pats have to feel good about their DL, come play-off time: GRADE: A;     

2.) LBs: As usual, Jerod Mayo led the team in tackles. But, what was unusual was how the Pats deployed him in blitz packages. Twice Mayo was able to tag Schaub on blitzes, forcing hurried, errant throws. Dont'a Hightower had his best game in some time, with 5 tackles, including two for losses. Brandon Spikes helped to clog the middle, seemingly forcing the Texans to run wide. In coverage, there were some issues. Arian Foster was effective coming out of the backfield. But, little was heard from Houston TEs, Owen Daniel or others: GRADE: B+;

3.) SECONDARY:  Adding CB Aqib Talib has seemingly transformed the Pats' defensive unit from a passive bend but don't break bunch, to an aggressive, hard charging crew. Unfortunately, Talib went down with some kind of hip injury, when he went to the ground while defensing a pass to Andre Johnson. But, he left the field on his own power, and remainded on the bench thereafter, rather than adjourning to the locker room. This gives some hope that his injury isn't too serious. Speaking of injuries, rookie CB Alfonzo Dennard also left the game, after tweaking his hamstring. Prior to that, both Talib and Dennard played well. Huge red zone interception by Devin McCourty killed an early Houston scoring drive, when the Pats were only up, 7-0. This pick seemed to deflate both Schaub and the Houston offense...and both never recovered. Kyle Arrington and Steve Gregory covered fairly well. They each finishing with four tackles...all solos: GRADE: A-;   

III. SPECIAL TEAMS: One of the biggest plays of this game was Wes Welker's 31 yard punt return, early in the first quarter. It gave Brady and the 'Boys a short field to master on their initial drive. The kick coverage was excellent, and Zoltan "The Magnificent" averaged 48 yards per kick: GRADE: B+;

IV. COACHING:  Masterful job by BB and his staff. The first scripted 15-20 plays worked to near perfection, as the offense scored TDs on their first three drives. Credit Josh McDaniels for the way he schemed to free up Wes Welker and Aaron Hernandez. Credit him also evolving after the Gronk injury. Great work in getting both Brandon Lloyd and Dont'a Stallworth involved in the game plan...as the Patriots were anything but predictable. But, let's give a game ball to OL coach Donte Scarnecchia. Nothing is possible even for this Brady led offense, if the OL doesn't provide Tom with ample time. Though J.J. Watt was credited with three QB hits on Brady, it seemed to be more like 5. But, the Big Uglies never allowed Watt to ruin the play of the offense.  Though Matt Patricia and secondary coach Josh Boyer have been under fire all year, somehow, someway, the secondary has improved. The point of improvement seems to coincide with the acquisition of Aqib Talib. This has allowed the Pats to move Devin McCourty to what appears to be his best position...free safety. Credit the coaching staff also for having the courage to start rookie Alfonzo Dennard at CB, and sit down the erratic, injury proned Patrick Chung. The Pats took the TEs out of the game, and handled what appears to be a somewhat fading Andre Johnson. Flat passes were open all night long to Arian Foster. But, the Texans never seemed to take full advantage. Excellent usage of Jerod Mayo. Blitzing him up the middle on occasion seemed to rattle Texans' QB, Matt Schaub. Great job all around by BB, in a game that the Pats badly needed to have: GRADE: A+;    

V. PLAY OF THE GAME: There were so many big plays made by the Pats in this win, that it's hard to pinpoint just one. But, I'm going to go with the above mentioned Devin McCourty pick. With the Pats' up 7-0, and the Texans' moving downfield to answer, the McCourty pick in the redzone deflated the Texans. Subsequently, when the Pats marched down field to take a 14-0 lead on the Brady to Lloyd 37 yard hook-up, it seemed to take the starch out of the Texans.

VI. PLAYER OF HE GAME: Tom Brady, with honorable mention to Vince Wilfolk, and Wes Welker.

Here are the game stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=321210017. As always, your comments and opinions are welcome.

Sorry about having to do this piece-meal. But, this lousy system employed by Dottie is extremely frustrating, and difficult to work with. What used to take me an hour and a half to do, now takes twice that, if I'm lucky. I lost this report card about 2/3 of the way through, due to bugs in the system which seem to time you out...and freezes up the key-board. Though I've complained about this now for weeks, nothing has, or seemingly will be done.                       

Logan Mankins was a wall. Hope he stays healthy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to maine12's comment:

Great job Texas, this is the post I used to look for after every game. It seems that our defense keeps improving and one thing I've noticed is that Donte Hightower is becoming the most versitile player on the defense. A lot like Vrable was, I saw him line up to blitz on the outside 4 times and he was very unpredictable. Once he dropped in coverage on the TE, the next time he stunted to a middle blitz, the next time he went, and the in the 4th quarter he covered Fossett coming out of the backfield. He jammed a slot a few times and made plays both on the inside and outside. Its nice to draft 2 players in the first round who are going to be key players in our future.

RESPONSE: Hightower has potential. He's got the size and spped combo that BB looks for with his LBs.  Next year will be huge for him. As BB consistently has pointed out, the biggest improvements with younger players usually come in their second year in the league.   

I know you were harsh on the Pats early this year but you must see admit now that they have greatly improved.

RESPONSE: Sure they've improved...dramatically. But, they were grossly underachieving early in the season...losing to such lightweights as the Arizona Cardinals, and the Seahawks (yeah...I know that the Seahags have a winning record. But, they still suck). As a result, the Pats now have no margin for error. They must win their remaining three games to be guaranteed of a playoff bye.  

As I agree they still have a lot to get better at as well, 3rd and long is still a scary situation for our defense to be in.

RESPONSE: Since acquiring Aqib Talib, 3rd and long is not so scary anymore. In fact, it's beecoming a down of opportunity for their defense.

But thats why we have discussion boards, not everyone has to agree. Enjoy reading your post, thanks Texas

RESPONSE: Thanks, my friend.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

I mentioned him favorably in my DL segment, above. Nink was outstanding. You weren't the only one "wrong" about him. I too didn't see him as a viable option at DE.

Oh yeah, I missed that. Welcome back big guy! We're looking good...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Tex - Unless the fumbles brought the card down to C+ I would give the RBs B for the game. 130 yards against a team giving up 90 a game is good stuff (and yes the O line is a key part of that but the RBs were not leaving lots and lots of yards on the field.... they ran well).

Also, regarding your remark about the pass D stepping up after Talib got here: I think it is due to a set of things which together make a difference. First, the pass rush has been much better since they started blitzing (and we have some decent guys for that). Second, McCourty and, to a lesser extent, Gregory at S have been solid, dependable and better communications. These elements have allowed the CBs to play mroe aggressivley and less defensively if you will. So the cushion is much smaller and they can make plays. So the addition of Talib and the good play of rookie Dennard have been very meaningful.

No dis on Talib. Just that it is clearly a team effort that has made the difference and Talib has been one part of that - though an important part of that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

This is what he does every year it seems. Dont feel bad as I was on him early too. He does arrive late to the party, but when he gets there, he makes a splash. Better to show up when it counts the whole defense had issues early so its cool.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Tex - Unless the fumbles brought the card down to C+ I would give the RBs B for the game. 130 yards against a team giving up 90 a game is good stuff (and yes the O line is a key part of that but the RBs were not leaving lots and lots of yards on the field.... they ran well).

RESPONSE: The fumbles were the reason for the relatively low grade. Can't tolerate fumbles, if a team is striving to win a championship.   

Also, regarding your remark about the pass D stepping up after Talib got here: I think it is due to a set of things which together make a difference. First, the pass rush has been much better since they started blitzing (and we have some decent guys for that).

RESPONSE: Having Talib aboard is a main reason why the coaching staff feels comfortable enough to start ordering some blitzes. Talib played all-pro WR Andre Johnson man to man, until he got hurt. To my knowledge, no Patriot CB has done the same since the days of Ty Law. 

Second, McCourty and, to a lesser extent, Gregory at S have been solid, dependable and better communications.

RESPONSE: There doeesn't appeear to be much question that FS is McCourty's best position. The Talib acquisition has allowed BB to switch McCouty from CB to FS. As for Gregory, he's replaced the erratic, off-injured Patrick Chung at SS.  

These elements have allowed the CBs to play mroe aggressivley and less defensively if you will. So the cushion is much smaller and they can make plays. So the addition of Talib and the good play of rookie Dennard have been very meaningful.

RESPONSE: Talib and Dennard have played well together, thus far.

No dis on Talib. Just that it is clearly a team effort that has made the difference and Talib has been one part of that - though an important part of that.

RESPONSE: Without the acquisition of Talib, the McCourty switch to FS wouldn't have happened...and the Pats "D" would still be in a bend but don't break mode. Let's hope that Talib's hip injury isn't serious...and that he continues to keep his head on straight, both on and off the field. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

the best thing is that the DB"s earned an A

and now on all the sports talk shows

"the Pats Defense is definitely improved"

the 2 4th and 5's they stoppped were a thing of beauty

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Great report. Thanks. Really missed them. While I loved the Welker punt return, he did have a few uncharacteristic drops, so I don't have him high in the Player of the Game ratings. If I could put the entire secondary---Dennard, McCourty, Talib, Arrington and Gregory---up for that award I'd stick them in there. Just a minor point: I had trouble with the clock management at the end of the 1st half---never should have turned the ball back over to the Texans with time on the clock. It didn't hurt us but somebody like Eli might have made us pay. Finally, a special shout-out to Logan Mankins, a guy who has been dissed by Patriot "fans". When Mankins is healthy he is the best and Patriot players know that when they're on the field with him he's got their backs.

Again, my thanks for all your hard and perceptive work!

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LuvsThosePats. Show LuvsThosePats's posts

I don't think Tom was an A+ -- there were a lot of off-target throws, overthrows mostly.  It's funny to think that if he'd made those throws this game would have REALLY gotten out of hand.  But no matter; it was a great game to watch as a Pats fan.  And I've been on the Ninkovich bandwagon for awhile -- I started a thread singing his praises about 6-7 weeks ago.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Hey, Tex, hopefully next Monday you will simply repeat these grades but change the references of the opponent to the 49'ers!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Hey, Tex, hopefully next Monday you will simply repeat these grades but change the references of the opponent to the 49'ers!!!

Amen, brother!

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts