Texans @ Patriots REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Texans @ Patriots REPORT CARD

For the second time in about a month, the Patriots outclassed the Houston Texans, this time by a 41-28 score...in a game that was not nearly as close as even that rather lopsided score would indicate. The Patriots all but handed the Texans 20 of those 28 points. Yet, they still pretty much coasted to an easy win. Next up, a rematch with those lovable Buzzards from Baltimore, for the AFC Title, and a trip to SB 47. Here are my grades:

I. OFFENSE: After fiddling away most of the first quarter, the Pats, at times methodically, and spectacularly, scored 41 points in the games' final 46 minutes. The Pats' offense resembled Chip Kelly's Oregon Ducks, rolling over some B rated Pack-12 opponent;

1.) QB:  After a slow start in which he missed some throws due to being somewhat  pressured, the Terrific One settled down, and dissected the Houston Texans, for the second time in about a month. Facing mostly man to man coverage yet again, the Pats went to the air on 40 of their 65 plays, effectively. Brady completed 25 of 40 passes for 344 yards and three TDs, against an unimaginative Texans' defense. Most of the completions and yards were obtained on short to intermediate range passes, primarily to Wes Welker, Aaron Hernandez, and RB Shane Vereen. Tom's highlight plays were two perfectly thrown lemon-drop, deep left sideline passes. The first of these was in the second quarter to Wes Welker, for 47 yards. It set up the Patriots' second TD, staking them to a commanding 17-3 lead, at that time. The second was a 33 yard tear drop to Shane Vereen in the 4th quarter, for the Pats' final TD. It gave the Pats an insummountable 38-13 lead. When the Pats' OL gives "The Man" time, it's curtains for the opposition: GRADE: A-;

2.) RBs: Though the running game took a subordinate role this week, it was still a very effective diversion. Stevan Ridley ran hard when called upon, finishing with a fumble free 82 yards on just 15 carries...an average of 5.5 yards per run...and a TD. His highlight play was a 23 yard scamper in the 3rd quarter. It set up a TD, that put the Pats ahead, 31-13, at the time. His earlier third quarter 8 yard TD run had increased the Pats' slim 17-13 halftime lead, to 24-13. Shane Vereen turned in by far the finest game of his career. Doing a first rate impression of Marshall Faulk in his prime, Vereen ran for 41 yards on 7 carries (5.9 yard average), and added 5 pass receptions for 83 yards, and two TDs, including the above mentioned 33 yard fourth quarter hook-up with Brady. Truly a job well done!: GRADE: A;

3.) OL: After getting off to a slow start, they dominated, much like they did in the first meeting with the Texans. Though Tom Brady was hit seven times, most of that contact came early, and resulted in just one sack...and just three tackles for loss, overall. Excellent job on monster DE J.J. Watt...holding him to a half a sack, and one tackle for loss. It was  Watt's least productive day of the entire season: GRADE: A;

4.) TEs and WRs: Seeing what clearly appeared to be an unfit to play Rob Gronkowski take the field, and than seeing him fall on his injured arm and break it again, somewhat casts a pall on what otherwise was an uplifting win...as all playoff wins are. Gronk is done for the year. Hopefully, the foolish decision to risk him won't result in a permanently damaged left arm, which will jeopardize what appeared to be a banner career. That said, Aaron Hernandez stepped up with his best game in weeks, finishing with six catches for 85 yards. His highlight 40 yard catch and run on a short pass was the key play on a TD drive, during the Pats' initial possession of the second half. It put them in front, 24-13, at the time. WRs: let's talk Welker. For the second time, the Wild Wild Wes destroyed the Texans, this time with eight catches for 131 yards. He is the straw that stirs the drink, on the Patriots offense. Brandon Lloyd chipped in with five catches for 32 yards, and a TD. But, Lloyd also drew a foolish dead-ball personal foul, for inexplicably throwing the ball sharply back to an official, after an incompleted pass. This bone-headed play stalled what appeared to be a second quarter TD drive, costing the Pats four points...as the assessed 15 yard penalty caused them to settle for a FG: GRADE: A-;

II. DEFENSE: Three lengthy kickoff returns resulted in three very short fields, and 17 of the Texans' 28 points. Though the Texans had 425 total yards, many of those were meaningless, as they were earned after the Pats had built a 38-13 fourth quarter lead. The "D" set the tone by holding Houston to just a FG on their initial "drive", after a 94 yard kickoff return gave the Texans a first and 10, from the Patriots' 12 yard line.

1.) DL: Did not let RB Arian Foster control the game on the ground. The DL limited his damage to just 90 yards on 22 carriers...an average of 4.1 yards per run. It marked his lowest output, compared to his several previous playoff games. Vince Wilfolk and Rob Ninkovich led the way, with Nink dropping in coverage to intercept Texans' QB Matt Schaub, in the 3rd quarter...which pretty much iced the game. But, not too much pressure was applied to Schaub, as the Pats seemed more concerned with stopping Foster, than anything else. Unfortunately, DE Chandler Jones reinjured that troublesome ankle of his, and likely will not be a factor next week against the Ravens: GRADE: B;

2.) LBs: The corp did a fine job against the run, but had some issues in pass coverage. Arian Foster had seven catches for 63 yards, coming out of the backfield...and the Houston TEs combined for 14 receptions, for 125 yards. That said, Jerod Mayo forced a fumble on a short pass completion, that inexplicably was ruled a non-fumble, allegedly due to the receiver being knocked backwards after gaining forward progress. It was one of the worst calls I've seen this season, by an officiating crew that appeared to be hung over from the night before. Mayo finished with seven tackles (5 solos) and two TFL (tackles for loss). Brandon Spikes added six tackles (4 solos), and Dont'a Hightower had three tackles (2 solos) a TFL, and a QB hit: GRADE: B;

3.) SECONDARY: The top three tacklers for the Pats were DBs. Aqib Talib and Steve Gregory each led the way with ten tackles. Nine of Talib's ten tackles were solos. Devin McCourty added 8 tackles (7 solos), while DBs Tavon Wilson, Alfonzo Dennard, and Marquis Cole added three, each. When a team falls behind by a ton of points in the 4th quarter, as the Texans did, passes begin to rain on down...and DBs must tackle. This group, by and large, did a good job at that. Save for a 25 yard TD pass to Devier Posey mid-way in the fourth quarter, this group did a fine job of limiting big plays. Though Andre Johnson had 8 catches for 95 yards, his longest play of the day was a 22 yard reception. Though it came on a 3rd and 16 play midway in the third quarter, the damage was soon negated by the aforementioned Ninkovich interception: GRADE: B;

III. SPECIAL TEAMS: Horrible kick coverage. This was the worst performance by the Pats' special teams covering kick-offs in the BB era. The Patriots allowed Houston kick returner Danieal Manning returns of 94, 35, and 69 yards...which pretty much accounted for 17 of the 28 Texan points scored. On the opening kickoff, Manning's 94 yard return gave the Texans the ball, first and ten, at the NE 12 yard line. Great hustle by Devin McCourty saved a TD, and subsequently, four points, as the "D" held the Texans to a FG. Manning followed that in the second quarter with a 35 yard run back, in which kicker Stephen Gostkowski saved a TD with a horse-collar tackle. The run back and penalty gave the Texans a short field, at the NE 47 yard line. This time, the Texans cashed in with a TD. Then, in the fourth quarter, the Pats allowed Manning to break free again for a 69 yard return...setting the Texans up in business at the NE 37 yard line. Another Texan TD followed. In addition, the Pats nearly suffered a blocked punt on two occasions. One, near the end of the half, caused a short punt...which led to a 55 yard Texan FG. That cut the Pats' lead at that time to just 17-13, at the half. As for Stephen Gostkowski, his kick-offs were generally long, and he was 2/2 on FG tries. Zoltan Mesko did his usually dependable job, punting. But, this wasn't enough to salvage a respectable for this group. As I stated in my pre-game analysis of this game...the Texans may have watched film of that awful Cardinals game, in which the Cards blocked a punt. These mistakes need to be rectified...PRONTO!: GRADE: F;

IV. COACHING:  Don't know whether using Shane Vereen as they did was the plan all along, or whether it came in response to losing both Gronk and Danny Woodhead (thumb injury), early in the game. Regardless of how it came about, it was a rousing success. Vereen played like Faulk...Marshall, not Kevin, today. The Texans had no answers as to how to cover him. On defense, the Pats did what they had to do in shutting doiwn the Houston running game, and making QB Matt Schaub beat them. But mercy...the kickoff coverage was horrendous. In the BB era, I have never seen the Patriots do such a poor job of covering kicks. Since this hasn't been a problem until today, I see this as an abberation, rather than something to lose sleep over. Whatever cause this abomination, an answer must be found, immediately! Finally, I have a real problem with what happened today with Rob Gronkowski. This kid has a chance to have a Tony Gonzalez type of career. Yet today, the Pats put him at great risk by playing him, when it was obvious that he wasn't ready to go. He still had that long, thick cast on his arm, and was laboring in pain...before falling on the arm, and breaking it again. BB said that he was cleared by the doctors to play. Okay...then my next questions are, who the hell are these doctors? Do they have degrees? Are they blind? And...the million dollar question...is that arm going to ever heal properly, now that it's been broken twice, in a two month period? I short, I'm angry and disappointed about this whole Gronk scenario. This is almost as bad as Mike Shanahan's decision to let RG III continue playing on an obviously damaged knee: GRADE: C-;

V. PLAY OF THE GAME: So many great ones to choose from...the Welker 47 yard pass play was huge...the Hernandez 40 yard catch and run on the Pats' initial second half drive...the 33 yard tear drop from Brady to Vereen. But, as is usually the case in playoff games, the biggest plays of all are those resulting in a turnover. My "Play of the Game" is the Nink pick, which all but iced this game, which the Pats really should have won by three TDs or more;

VI. PLAYER OF THE GAME: Shane Vereen was great, but Wes Welker was immense.

Here are the game stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330113017

As always, your comments and opinions are welcome.    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: Texans @ Patriots REPORT CARD

Yep, I thought special teams kept the game close or as close as it was.  Not a way to start a ball game btw.  Other than that, high grades all around. 

The coaching for the Texans was suspect at the end of the game.  Didn't seem to know what to do.  Maybe it was Schaub, I don't know but if you're a Texan fan you can't be happy with that clock management at the end of the game.

That one quick whislte on what should have been a turnover was hard to swallow.

This Texan team is one of the more talented teams in the NFL.  Maybe Schaub needs to go?  Very talented group that the Pats just beat.  Impressive win.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

TP great report card. Hope next weeks is even better!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Hey tex,

Gronk didn't have a cast on, it was an old fashion forearm pad. Gronk was cleared to play and while it's disappointing that he reinjured his arm...I doubt that Belicheck would have risked his playing if he thought that his forearm wasn't good to go. Comparing this to the RG III issue isn't  fair, now had they just shot him up and had him play after reinjuring his arm your accusation of mis handling his injury would have more merit. RGIII was cleary compromised, and continued to play after tweaking his knee. Bones heal, so I doubt that with an entire offseason to rehab that they'll be any lingering effect...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Coaching had to make a major adjustment early, which they did magnificently.  They lost woody and Gronk the first series who were a large part of the game plan    The d has improved every week. Sure the special teams were silent and deadly at the same time.  Maybe you should break it down by the big 3. O. D and special teams coaching.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Coaching had to make a major adjustment early, which they did magnificently.  They lost woody and Gronk the first series who were a large part of the game plan    The d has improved every week. Sure the special teams were silent and deadly at the same time.  Maybe you should break it down by the big 3. O. D and special teams coaching.  

I gave the coaching a "C-", partly because of the awful decision to play a clearly injured Gronk. Yeah...the "doctors cleared him and he wanted to go"...blah, blah. blah. It up to the adults to step in and short curcuit this macho nonsense...for both the good of the player, and the team. Looking at it as a business decision, Bob Kraft has invested millions in Gronk, and BB has invested premium salary cap dollars in him. Gronk is a rare talent...being a TE who is both a deep threat, a red zone threat, and a beast as a run blocker. Yet...the Pats risked having him at 100% for the next decade, in order to bludgeon the Houston Texans with one more weapon? Was it worth it? Will his left arm, now broken for the second time in two months, ever fully heal?      

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

NO answers yet on the Gronk issue. Somebody needs to step up.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Excellent report card - my only critique is play of the game had no mention of the McCourty 4 point tackle to open game. I dont think it was better than the Nink pick, but it did deserve a mention.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

In response to TSWFAN's comment:

NO answers yet on the Gronk issue. Somebody needs to step up.

S&*t happens sometimes...he probably landed on the wrist, which put a lot of torque on that recently repaired forearm, hence why it broke again.

I don't blame anyone, but I hate seeing Thomas Gill on the sidelines...he's more than likely very qualified, but based on all the Sox misdiagnosis over his tenure, I think he's a hack.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

THANKS, TP... again, we hope all you have to doafter the next game is plug in the Ravens as the opponent and the rest stays the same with some better ST play.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Hey tex,

Gronk didn't have a cast on, it was an old fashion forearm pad. Gronk was cleared to play and while it's disappointing that he reinjured his arm...I doubt that Belicheck would have risked his playing if he thought that his forearm wasn't good to go. Comparing this to the RG III issue isn't  fair, now had they just shot him up and had him play after reinjuring his arm your accusation of mis handling his injury would have more merit. RGIII was cleary compromised, and continued to play after tweaking his knee. Bones heal, so I doubt that with an entire offseason to rehab that they'll be any lingering effect...

Bean... do you recall the graphic in the broadcast that Gronk confided to some friends he did not feel comfortable with that forearm?  With that said, it had to mean there was still something there that made him feel he could not go 100% and as such, when you protect an injury, it may result in the injury be aggravated again.  Granted, nothing apparently happened in the Miami game while in this one he squarely landed on that arm.  Makes one think, if he had told BB that he did not feel 100%, would BB have held him out if the player is not 100% in their mind ready to go?  I'd say he would have.  They handily defeated the Texans the first game without him, what's another week?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Hey tex,

Bean... do you recall the graphic in the broadcast that Gronk confided to some friends he did not feel comfortable with that forearm?  With that said, it had to mean there was still something there that made him feel he could not go 100% and as such, when you protect an injury, it may result in the injury be aggravated again.  Granted, nothing apparently happened in the Miami game while in this one he squarely landed on that arm.  Makes one think, if he had told BB that he did not feel 100%, would BB have held him out if the player is not 100% in their mind ready to go?  I'd say he would have.  They handily defeated the Texans the first game without him, what's another week?

Belicheck when asked by a reporter about Gronks injury, answered the question in his post game pressor and stated that the doctor makes the decision when a player is healthy enough to play or not. As such a broken bone is not all that tough to diagnose (one would think). It's either healed or not, clearly it was not healed.

My guess is that the team doctors if they did indeed clear the kid to play, when the x-rays showed the bone not to be sufficiantly fused, will be called to task by Kraft. If it was Belicheck that pressured them to clear him that opens up a different can of worms...Whether he should have played or not is an entirely different question. If Gronk was not comfortable or felt pain in the arm and didn't speak up it's just another example of the team doctors & coaches needing to protect the players from themselves.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Mostly agree with your grades, and as always you have a thoughtful and informative recap of game.

Special teams were obviously a diaster.  I think it has more to do with player execution than coaching though. Still F well deserved in that category.

Wes was magnificent. Espiecally satisfying that the Texans could not shut him down- after Wade's commentary on WW's athletic abilities- or lack of. Right. 

Vereen was the best surpise of the game. Wow. Will be interesting to see how he is used against the buzzards. More please!

There's a lot to like and admire about Pats 2012- the D has improved immensely from game 3 of this season when they met the Ravens.  Solid B's all around in game against Texans.

Gronk's injury situation is troubling. Could it this latest injury be an unfortunate fall on his "bad" arm?  Sometimes stuff just happens. Though he is seeming to be accident prone despite his monster size and what appears to be excellent conditioning. I don't know... some stuff  isn't adding up either.  NFL needs to have "fool" proof protocol rergarding clearing injured players to return. It shouldn't be left up to a coach- players need medical clearance. BB stated Gronk had that, so the buck stops with the docs. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i ahve never heard of a broken arm healing in 8 weeks....healing in that time well enough to play nfl ball? i dont think so....obviously someone jumped the gun here...shoot, gronk was practically hiding that arm the last game of the season his first game back after the injury

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

TPat: Fine report. The penalties bugged me, especially the 15 yarder on Brandon LLoyd which meant we had to settle for 3 instead of going for 7. And did you notice the 3rd and 16 completion to Andre  Johnson when we had him covered by Arrington. Couldn't believe my eyes cause Arrington can't cover downfield. I had the 41 right on but I was surprised when Houston scored the 2 late TDs. Don't know whether we got lazy or what, but a "W" is a "W" and I'm happy about that. And how was that not a fumble when we ripped the ball out late and BB didn't challenge?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to darwk's comment:

Mostly agree with your grades, and as always you have a thoughtful and informative recap of game.

Special teams were obviously a diaster.  I think it has more to do with player execution than coaching though. Still F well deserved in that category.

Wes was magnificent. Espiecally satisfying that the Texans could not shut him down- after Wade's commentary on WW's athletic abilities- or lack of. Right. 

Vereen was the best surpise of the game. Wow. Will be interesting to see how he is used against the buzzards. More please!

There's a lot to like and admire about Pats 2012- the D has improved immensely from game 3 of this season when they met the Ravens.  Solid B's all around in game against Texans.

Gronk's injury situation is troubling. Could it this latest injury be an unfortunate fall on his "bad" arm?  Sometimes stuff just happens. Though he is seeming to be accident prone despite his monster size and what appears to be excellent conditioning. I don't know... some stuff  isn't adding up either.  NFL needs to have "fool" proof protocol rergarding clearing injured players to return. It shouldn't be left up to a coach- players need medical clearance. BB stated Gronk had that, so the buck stops with the docs. 

Can't let BB off scott free on the deal with Gronk. A blind man could see that he was no where near ready to go. Why risk such a great talent, after the team had built it's offense around him, and invested millions in salary and cap space to lock him up for the next six years? Hopefully, Gronk didn't permanently damage that arm. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Can't let BB off scott free on the deal with Gronk. A blind man could see that he was no where near ready to go. Why risk such a great talent, after the team had built it's offense around him, and invested millions in salary and cap space to lock him up for the next six years? Hopefully, Gronk didn't permanently damage that arm. 

This is the playoffs. almost everyone is playing hurt to some degree. He looked worse in last years super bowl than he did against Miami. Philip rivers played against the Pats a few years ago with a torn ACL. Some guys are tougher than other. The problem with Griffin III is that his play clearly deteriorated in the playoff game so everyone surmised he got reinjured. If Griffin III had lead the Redskins to victory people would be talking about Griffin's fortitude. Because they lost the Coach is now a bum. If Doctor's forced injured players to sit out would the Pats have won any super bowls. Who knows how many Pat players were playing hurt.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:

This is the playoffs. almost everyone is playing hurt to some degree. He looked worse in last years super bowl than he did against Miami. Philip rivers played against the Pats a few years ago with a torn ACL. Some guys are tougher than other. The problem with Griffin III is that his play clearly deteriorated in the playoff game so everyone surmised he got reinjured. If Griffin III had lead the Redskins to victory people would be talking about Griffin's fortitude. Because they lost the Coach is now a bum. If Doctor's forced injured players to sit out would the Pats have won any super bowls. Who knows how many Pat players were playing hurt.

Spare me! Again...a blind man could see that both RG III and Gronk were laboring, and in pain. Both teams were foolish to risk such talented players, in whom they had so much invested. There's a huge difference between playing in the SB on a sprained ankle, than playing in a playoff game with a partially healed broken bone, that could splinter if re-injured...or on a gimpy knee, that has already once been surgically reconstructed.

RG III is the Redskin's future. They have invested three number one draft choices, and millions of dollars in him. After 20 years of searching, it appeared that they finally had found a franchise QB. To risk him as they did was insane.

As for Gronk, having him at healthy could mean the difference between being playoff fodder, and winning a SB...as was the case last year. Unfortunately, he got hurt again. This, after the Pats had invested millions in dollars and valued cap space, to lock him up for the next 6 years. The guy has rare, Hall of Fame type talent. Why risk such an asset, by letting him play at 50% with a partially healed broken arm...in a non-SB game? Hopefully, when he re-broke the same arm by falling on it, it was a clean break...and not the type which will never properly heal.        

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

Maybe you should change your name to TexasPat MD because you are just so much smarter than everyone else. Coaching was an A- with the minus being for the way they handled the last possession of the 1st half

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to hang3xc's comment:

Maybe you should change your name to TexasPat MD because you are just so much smarter than everyone else. Coaching was an A- with the minus being for the way they handled the last possession of the 1st half

Here come the homers!! Why don't you ask Redskin fans how smart they think Shanahan was for risking RG III? I'd like to know what you have to say, if Gronk's arm is permanently damaged, due to BB's foolish decision to let him play with an unhealed broken arm. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to hang3xc's comment:

Here come the homers!! Why don't you ask Redskin fans how smart they think Shanahan was for risking RG III? I'd like to know what you have to say, if Gronk's arm is permanently damaged, due to BB's foolish decision to let him play with an unhealed broken arm. 

in game coaching was very good, the decision to play gronk: not so good.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:

Spare me! Again...a blind man could see that both RG III and Gronk were laboring, and in pain. Both teams were foolish to risk such talented players, in whom they had so much invested. There's a huge difference between playing in the SB on a sprained ankle, than playing in a playoff game with a partially healed broken bone, that could splinter if re-injured...or on a gimpy knee, that has already once been surgically reconstructed.

RG III is the Redskin's future. They have invested three number one draft choices, and millions of dollars in him. After 20 years of searching, it appeared that they finally had found a franchise QB. To risk him as they did was insane.

As for Gronk, having him at healthy could mean the difference between being playoff fodder, and winning a SB...as was the case last year. Unfortunately, he got hurt again. This, after the Pats had invested millions in dollars and valued cap space, to lock him up for the next 6 years. The guy has rare, Hall of Fame type talent. Why risk such an asset, by letting him play at 50% with a partially healed broken arm...in a non-SB game? Hopefully, when he re-broke the same arm by falling on it, it was a clean break...and not the type which will never properly heal.        

No one forced any of these players to play. By rule they can not be forced to play. It's part of football culture. Vrabel played with broken arms, Rivers with the torn ACL, and Terrel Owens might have deserved the MVP award in the super bowl against the Pats playing on a broken leg. You think the Pats did not take into consideration Gronkowski's contract before letting him play? They clearly felt the risk was worth it. If he gets reinjured he has 8 months to heal. i support the NFL's new rules on concussions but letting doctor's decide who can play on other injuries is actually crazy unless they are indemnified. No doctor would ever allow a player to play with any health issue if he could be held responsible financially. Doctor's should give honest opinions to the team and player and let the player decide if he can play. Half the Pats and Ravens team would probably have to sit out the weekend if doctor's decided.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

"No one forced any of these players to play. By rule they can not be forced to play. It's part of football culture".

There's a fine line between being hurt and being injured. If a player is injured and by playing they can worsen the injury (the time it takes to heal) or can't fuflfill the expectations of thier job fuction, then they should sit...In the case of Gronk, with the entire offseason to heal and rehab. My guess is they concluded that if he reinjured his arm, that it wouldn't impact his ability to be ready for next year. Further I would also have to think that since he came back and played in a meaniliess contest against the Dolphins that his arm had healed sufficiantly for the doctors to clear him to play.

How the Redskins handled RG III is an entirely different matter. He too played after hurting his knee during the regular season and though his mobility was compromised. He was still an effect pocket passer. It was after he tweaked the knee during the game and was hobbling around, that they should have taken him into the lockerroom and done a full examination and then if the doctors felt that the knee was weakened to the degree that his ACL was in jeaporty, they should have pulled him.

Lastly we have Alex Smith of SF, who lost his job after getting a concussion...Which sends a mixed message to all players that are injured. So if we want the players to protect themselves from themselves and own up to being injured. If you play for the 49ers what's the likelihood that you'll devulge any injury to the team in fear of losing your job to the next guy in line...

"No one forced any of these players to play. By rule they can not be forced to play. It's part of football culture".

Yep and my guess is that Alex Smith wishes he'd have never allowed the team doctors to administer the concussion test to him...Which unfortunately is now more then ever part of football culture...

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts