Re: Texans @ Patriots REPORT CARD

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How would you grade the refs?

[/QUOTE]

An "A", for awful....LOL!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Great job TPat. I pretty much agree w/ all the grades except the coaching one. Some mistakes were made but BB had this team ready to play after a long lay off. I would've given the coaching a straight B. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Last I checked the playoffs were pass/fail

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"No one forced any of these players to play. By rule they can not be forced to play. It's part of football culture".

There's a fine line between being hurt and being injured. If a player is injured and by playing they can worsen the injury (the time it takes to heal) or can't fuflfill the expectations of thier job fuction, then they should sit...In the case of Gronk, with the entire offseason to heal and rehab. My guess is they concluded that if he reinjured his arm, that it wouldn't impact his ability to be ready for next year. Further I would also have to think that since he came back and played in a meaniliess contest against the Dolphins that his arm had healed sufficiantly for the doctors to clear him to play.

RESPONSE: That so called "football culture" is antiquated, and needs to be scrapped. Gronk clearly was unable to do his job. He could not block, and he was a one-armed pass receiver.

In the old days, football players weren't being paid guaranteed money, on long term deals. There was  no free agency, and no salary cap. The cap requires teams to be smart about who they sign to big money, on long term deals. If a team ties large amounts of cap dollars on injured, or ineffective players, it suffers greatly...as it makes it difficult to be competitive in free agency, and to extent their key players. The Pats chose to invest huge dollars in Gronk. Thus, risking his career as they did makes no sense.

If the Pats' doctors concluded that reinjuring his not fully healed arm would have no impact on the arm's ability to eventually heal 100%, it may be time for the Pats to release their current team physician, Dr. Hugo B. Hackenbush, and replace him with a guy with a degree from an accredited medical school...that's not a "yes man".    

How the Redskins handled RG III is an entirely different matter. He too played after hurting his knee during the regular season and though his mobility was compromised. He was still an effect pocket passer.

RESPONSE: Negative. His accuracy was compromised, because he was unable to plant his feet, and make his throws. His stats after he tweaked his knee in the first quarter were something like 4 of 11, for minimal yardage, a pick andd a fumble. 

It was after he tweaked the knee during the game and was hobbling around, that they should have taken him into the lockerroom and done a full examination and then if the doctors felt that the knee was weakened to the degree that his ACL was in jeaporty, they should have pulled him.

RESPONSE: Agreed. He should have been pulled immediately after the 'Skins were up, 14-0.

Lastly we have Alex Smith of SF, who lost his job after getting a concussion...Which sends a mixed message to all players that are injured. So if we want the players to protect themselves from themselves and own up to being injured. If you play for the 49ers what's the likelihood that you'll devulge any injury to the team in fear of losing your job to the next guy in line...

RESPONSE: Apples and oranges. We're not dealing with hard to see concussion symptoms, in the cases of Gronk and RG III. A blind man could see that they were not right. When a team invests huge dollars on a young player, the smart thing to do would be to err on the side of caution. Whether Gronk or RG III wanted to pplay should not factor into whether they do. It's a business decision...that should be made by the coach and the doctors. As if the ccase with any strategic ddecision made during a game, a coach should be held liable for making the wrong call on risking the health of a player. The fact that the player "wanted to go" should not in any way allow the coach to get a pass.    

"No one forced any of these players to play. By rule they can not be forced to play. It's part of football culture".

Yep and my guess is that Alex Smith wishes he'd have never allowed the team doctors to administer the concussion test to him...Which unfortunately is now more then ever part of football culture...

RESPONSE: He had no choice. The rules make  it mandatory that he undergo tests. Even if the concussions had never occurred, my guess is that Harbaugh would have gone to Kaepernick anyway. Smith wasn't enough of a play-maker to take a team to a SB.   

[/QUOTE]