Texans vs Patriots Game Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Texans vs Patriots Game Thread

I think assuming health, Pats can beat every team in the NFL 8 times out of 10. They do have the best coaching, QB play and depth of any other team. I would be a lot more comfortable if McDonald, Cannon and Thomas are getting rotational series instead of starter series, Gronk can get back to speed and the defensive back field can limit mental errors.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

I just read every post and I can't agree more with RockScully. I think the Pats are going to pound it all night with Ridley/Bolden/Woodhead. Bolden's an animal at impact and will make those 3rd and 1 situations a little easier and you know he's rested and ready. Ridley scores one and Woodhead scores one.

On passing situations WW will get his 10, Hernandez and Fells will kill that weak LB corp and TB goes 28/38 3TD's and 327yds.

On defense it's simple.....take out Foster. This means Jones and Ninkovich have to hold their corners and not let him get around them. He's an edge runner and they know damm well they aren't going by Vince.

With the Texans having this be their 3rd straight road game, the fact that they're beat up, the fact that every player knows individually they have one to give, it's going to be a damp long wet night and the biggest thing of all is that BB has been playing his favorite card......the under-dog card I can't see the Pats giving this one up.

Pats 35 Texans 24 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

What would be the most surprising result to come out of this game?  Most believe it will be close, but, as for a comfortable 2 - 3 score victory, I believe the Pats are more likely to have that result versus the Texans who have the more dinged up D.  Pats at home, Monday night, they have played many a big game in which they came out on top big to the surprise of most prognosticators!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

I think assuming health, Pats can beat every team in the NFL 8 times out of 10. They do have the best coaching, QB play and depth of any other team. I would be a lot more comfortable if McDonald, Cannon and Thomas are getting rotational series instead of starter series, Gronk can get back to speed and the defensive back field can limit mental errors.

now how do you make a statement like that?

I cannot see a fan of just about any other team ever saying something like this-over the top arrogance

who are the defending champs again? have a little respect if possible

[/QUOTE

Consider the source and name a team who does not have fans that think this way? Pats fans do not have a corner on arrogance, Jints!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

In response to JintsFan's comment:

now how do you make a statement like that?

I cannot see a fan of just about any other team ever saying something like this-over the top arrogance

who are the defending champs again? have a little respect if possible

[/QUOTE

Consider the source and name a team who does not have fans that think this way? Pats fans do not have a corner on arrogance, Jints!

No they don't.  Fan arrogance is camping out on another teams fan forum to continuously remind everybody how great their team is.  

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

If I am the Texans I run stunts with Watt coming up the middle to force Brady out of the pocket. The Pat could used Fells to help OT with Watt. Dude is flat good. Brady could use some screens or short routes to play the overpursuit on the pass rush or some seven step drops (NO BATTED BALLS PLEASE). I hope Spikes plays (questionable) because that helps the run. I hope someone gets pressure in Schaub, but I don't know who it will be (Wilfork, Scott, Nink).  Can;t let Foster get outside need a player who can set the edge and control the gaps. Will we see Talib on Johnson; TE Daniels who covers him. I wish the Pats were a little healthier, but both teams got key players out. Should be an interesting game. Measuring stick for both teams.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to Sam-Adams' comment:

I just read every post and I can't agree more with RockScully. I think the Pats are going to pound it all night with Ridley/Bolden/Woodhead. Bolden's an animal at impact and will make those 3rd and 1 situations a little easier and you know he's rested and ready. Ridley scores one and Woodhead scores one.

On passing situations WW will get his 10, Hernandez and Fells will kill that weak LB corp and TB goes 28/38 3TD's and 327yds.

On defense it's simple.....take out Foster. This means Jones and Ninkovich have to hold their corners and not let him get around them. He's an edge runner and they know damm well they aren't going by Vince.

With the Texans having this be their 3rd straight road game, the fact that they're beat up, the fact that every player knows individually they have one to give, it's going to be a damp long wet night and the biggest thing of all is that BB has been playing his favorite card......the under-dog card I can't see the Pats giving this one up.

Pats 35 Texans 24 

I agree Sam. Btw Ridley has ran for the most 1st downs of any RB in the LG at 68. AP next with 66! I think we will run on these guys despite our beat up guards, and I think nobody will benefit more then Tom Brady. 23-30 340 yards, 4 tds for the best QB in NFL history.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to JintsFan's 

You are making too big a deal out of his statement.  If you look at the Pat's record over the past 10 Years you can see that they have 133 Wins and 33 Losses during the regular season.  Ironically, if my math is correct, this works out to an 80% Win Rate.   This means that the Pats have beaten every team they have played during the regular season 8 out of 10 Times.

Ya, ya, I'll save you the trouble and say that the Giants beat us 2 to 0 in SB's so you don't have to say it.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

No way, maybe 4 out of 5 though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Shine on Shane Vereen!

Pats 24-2 (intentional safety)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Tom Brady abuses the Texans decimated secondary and the Pats win 37-20

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to NCPatsFan1971's comment:

In response to JintsFan's 

You are making too big a deal out of his statement.  If you look at the Pat's record over the past 10 Years you can see that they have 133 Wins and 33 Losses during the regular season.  Ironically, if my math is correct, this works out to an 80% Win Rate.   This means that the Pats have beaten every team they have played during the regular season 8 out of 10 Times.

Ya, ya, I'll save you the trouble and say that the Giants beat us 2 to 0 in SB's so you don't have to say it.   

On the average 8 of 10 but it goes in streaks based on how the teams matchup.

Denver had the Pats number fro a few years. For a stretch a dismal Miami team seemed to split every year wit the Pats and most recently the Giants and other teams with a strong pass rush gave our team fits. The dynamics of this years team..balance between run and pass should re-write this.

The Texans are I think a fairly good matchup, there defense is depleted just enough so the PAtriots should be able to move and score at a good clip.

The turnover battle will decide how well the Texans can do on offense. If they can settle into their balanced attack it will be close. If they are forced to play catchup, the Pats defense could generate a few turnovers and the game could get out of hand.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

10 3:30 PM ET By Field Yates | ESPNBoston.com Gillette Stadium Mike Reiss/ESPNBoston.comA tarp has been covering the field at Gillette Stadium today. FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Welcome to a soggy Gillette Stadium, where the Patriots (9-3) host the Houston Texans (11-1) on Monday Night Football (8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN). 

Weather conditions. It's a warm but wet December day in New England, with continued rain in the forecast for this evening. The chances of rain for kickoff as of this writing are at 64 percent, with an expected temperature of 56 degrees, according to  AccuWeather.com. A steady rain has driven throughout the afternoon here at Gillette, and a green tarp continues to cover the field. That will likely be removed roughly 90 minutes before kickoff. We'll be most locked into whether or not the rain lets up (the forecast calls for at least a 43 percent chance of rain through midnight), but also of note: a humidity level of 93 percent. 

Matt Light Night. The Patriots will honor longtime left tackle Matt Light, who retired this past offseason, at halftime of the game tonight. He played 11 seasons for the Patriots, providing steady blindside protection for Tom Brady during that time. Said Patriots owner Robert Kraft recently of Light: "For the past 11 seasons, Matt's many accomplishments, both on and off the field, made him the consummate Patriot." Light is the second retired Patriot to be honored this season, joining running back Kevin Faulk. 

Playoff implications. Nothing more can be clinched for either team tonight, although a win for the Patriots would allow them to keep pace with the Broncos for the second seed in the AFC. Houston, meanwhile, can all but seal a top-two seed with a victory. 

Patriots to honor the HOF. You'll like notice a patch on the jerseys of the Patriots this evening, which commemorates the 50th anniversary of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Beginning today, the bronze busts of the Patriots' five Hall of Fame players will be on display at the Hall at Patriot Place. 

National TV tonight on ESPN. Tonight marks the Patriots' first regular-season appearance on "Monday Night Football" in 2012, with the game being broadcast nationally on ESPN. Lead play-by-play man Mike Tirico and former NFL head coach Jon Gruden will be on the call, with Lisa Salters reporting on the sideline. Tirico recently sat down with Patriots quarterback Tom Brady (video  HERE). 

Gronk is out, but who else? The Patriots have declared just one player, tight end Rob Gronkowski, out for tonight's game. That leaves six others to deactivate, and the team also needs to make a move to reach the 53-man limit that is required on a game day. The likely maneuver is for running back Brandon Bolden, coming off of a four-game suspension, to be reinstated to the roster. We'll soon find out. 

McAulay get the call. Veteran referee Terry McAulay will lead the officiating crew tonight. He was the referee for the Patriots' victory in Super Bowl XXXIX. 

Scouts in the house. No surprise here, as a scout from both the 49ers and Colts are in the house. The Patriots, of course, host the 49ers next week, while the Texans will host the Colts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Just an out of division game; but I'm getting excited already.

I am just hoping BB has solved the secondary issue with the changes he made. GO PATS!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Some things about this game make me nervous:

The Texans got a starting cornerback back on the field this week.  No guarantee that he's 100%, as opposed to pressed back into service because there's no one left on the bench.  No guarantee that he isn't rusty either.  Last week Roethlisberger was rusty and lost the game for the Steelers.  Still, the Texans are probably happier than having nobody at all to fill the spot.

The Texans have something new.  It's hard to see ahead of time whether the Texans are going to run or pass.  They don't have many tells.  Now, this is the Patriots talking, and there's a 20% chance that they actually found a tell and are deliberately lying about it.  If it's true, Brandon Spikes in particular loses a big edge. 

Plus, the Texans O-line has a zone block / straight block option for running.  This is an interesting wrinkle.

The Texans are also twice as good as any other team in the league at batting down passes.  That particular skill frustrated Tom Brady versus the Giants. 

- - -

The good news is that the Texans feature power running, and New England is built to stuff power runs, from BB's pattern of D-line rotation to the beefed-up front seven.  This team's front seven outweighs the average team's front seven by maybe 200 pounds total, sometimes by 300 pounds.  They could easily be the league's heaviest front seven. 

The field will be pretty wet from the day's rain with fog and drizzle if not rain during the game.  Wet ball.  That favors the team specializing in takeaways.  Some wind.  This doesn't favor Matt Schaub.  It probably favors quick guys who know already which way they'll be cutting, and that's good for Hernandez, Welker and Woodhead.  New England may come out with the best cleats because they know the field conditions best.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Paul K - name a time when game time approaches in which there is not a Pats fan who is nervous about the upcoming game?  For now, I'll go with history and how the Pats have risen to the task and won, many times in a much more comfortable fashion than most envision.  The Texans have had their issues with high powered offenses, of which the Pats is at the top of the heap.  What is to be seen, has the D improved enough over the last few games to keep the Texans O slowed down?  We all will know in about 6 hours!!

PS - wear gloves to save the fingernails!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Field Yates         Field Yates @FieldYates

The Patriots have activated RB Brandon Bolden to the 53-man roster, per a league source. He is eligible to play in tonight's game.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts