Thank GOD for Chandler Jones, who will go down as one of the top 3 picks of 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Thank GOD for Chandler Jones, who will go down as one of the top 3 picks of 2012

I don't read much here anymore. I don't watch much on tv. I do, however, listen to a LOT of radio.

A little history I need to reflect on:

-Almost everyone was elated when the Pats drafted Jones. He was pegged right about where they drafted him, maybe slightly later, maybe not.

-Pats, running counter to everything they've shown for a long time traded UP to get him. Granted it was a very minor move, but a rarity for the Pats. I think Wilfork in 04 was the last time before this.

-And finally, all reports, fans, EVEYONE noted one thing about Jones...he was 'very raw'.

He EXPLODED onto the scene last year, had an AMAZING first half of the season...then age and injuries really slowed him late last season. But for a rookie, great season. For a 'very raw rookie'? Phenomenal.

This year:

11.5 sacks - 5th in NFL

75 tackles - 3rd among AFC DLineman

I haven't heard a whole lot the pat week, but prior to that, I COULD NOT BELIEVE THE AMOUNT OF BTCHING! I kept hearing "he needs to step up...he needs some timely plays...he needs to have a bigger impact..."

Really? I mean...seriously?

When he was drafted in 2012, for me to think he'd have 11.5 sacks in 2013, and people would largely complain about his play....I couldn't think that. It's unimaginable.

Last year he had, almost literally, 0 pass rush moves. The fking kid is still learning how to play...and has ELEVEN AND A HALF SACKS!

Second on the team in sacks? Ninkovich, everyone's favorite, with 7. Those totaled 34 yards. Chandler's 11.5 total 74. Ninkovich does have 86 tackles to Jones' 75 though.

Furthermore...once Vince went down...where do you think those double teams slid to? Jones faces 2 people MOST of the time, and STILL gets solid pressure.

I don't understand 2 things:

1) The painful lack of patience people seem to have with this kid.

2) The almost total lack of appreciation for what he does. 

Most fanbases would KILL to have a guy like him, but with most Pats fans it seems like "yeah, he's good...but he should be better."

Not even 2 years under the belt of a guy who was a very raw rookie and people want more.

And what do I base the thinking that most fans are under-satisfied? I laundry list of callers outlinging the things I just railed against, and people like Mike Reiss/Paul Perillo making comments over time agreeing with the 'wanting more' mentality. These are not Felger/Borges/Merloni type blowhards...those two (Reiss/Perillo) are guys I tend to respect when it comes to their opinions...

I guess I could be wrong, or maybe it's the minority making the majority of the noise...but I also see and hear very little praise going in Chandler's direction. He is the glue holding this very tattered defense together, and it seems like nobody knows, or cares.

As a side note/off topic...I'm constantly proud, and hurting my own shoulder reminding myself, for calling Matthew Slater, PRE-2011, the best gunner in football. The guy is a wizard, I truly enjoy watching that guy play. I never thought someone would surpass the mighty Larry Wigham and his long, flowing headband. And what's wrong with me that I remember so many special teamers...like Larry Izzo. (He did make the INT to secure the 31-0 revenge over Buffalo in the endzone...so many random football stats/facts, and I can't remember what I ate today!!!!!!)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Thank GOD for Chandler Jones, who will go down as one of the top 3 picks of 2012

I don't think anyone has been tough on Jones around here...I'm tough on just about every player on the team, but Jones isn't one of them. Aside from Brady he is my favorite player and I think he's just scratching the surface of what he can do. For all the talk about him being "raw" last year, I thought he showed more as a pass rusher than McGinnest did his first 5 years in the league. In fact I can't remember McGinnest doing anything but bull rushing most of his career (or just blasting past a tackle with his speed). Jones uses his hands, he counters, he bends, he rips...and I think you'll see him add more and more every year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Thank GOD for Chandler Jones, who will go down as one of the top 3 picks of 2012

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think anyone has been tough on Jones around here...I'm tough on just about every player on the team, but Jones isn't one of them. Aside from Brady he is my favorite player and I think he's just scratching the surface of what he can do. For all the talk about him being "raw" last year, I thought he showed more as a pass rusher than McGinnest did his first 5 years in the league. In fact I can't remember McGinnest doing anything but bull rushing most of his career (or just blasting past a tackle with his speed). Jones uses his hands, he counters, he bends, he rips...and I think you'll see him add more and more every year.

[/QUOTE]

thats a very good and truthful analysis right there mthurl. Jones is already more diverse than Willie ever was. not downplaying willie because he had a great career and was a beast, obviously. but that just shows HOW good this Jones kid can be

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from melswitts. Show melswitts's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

thats a very good and truthful analysis right there mthurl. Jones is already more diverse than Willie ever was. not downplaying willie because he had a great career and was a beast, obviously. but that just shows HOW good this Jones kid can be

[/QUOTE]

Can't agree...McGinnest started as an "elephant" position, moving around as the D needed, from down lineman to deep dropback in pass defense...Jones and he played different positions in the D...Jones got robbed this season, should have been in the pro bowl..next season...the pro bowl is all rep anyways, and is a complete waste of time

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

I'm of the belief that he would have more sacks if not for the injuries to Wilfork and Kelly...teams can now focus their efforts on him since he is the #1 threat on the DL by far.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm of the belief that he would have more sacks if not for the injuries to Wilfork and Kelly...teams can now focus their efforts on him since he is the #1 threat on the DL by far.

[/QUOTE]

No doubt.  BB sux

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree. He get double teamed a lot more often now. That and the fact that he gets held.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't read much here anymore. I don't watch much on tv. I do, however, listen to a LOT of radio.

-Almost everyone was elated when the Pats drafted Jones. He was pegged right about where they drafted him, maybe slightly later, maybe not.

-Pats, running counter to everything they've shown for a long time traded UP to get him. Granted it was a very minor move, but a rarity for the Pats. I think Wilfork in 04 was the last time before this.

-And finally, all reports, fans, EVEYONE noted one thing about Jones...he was 'very raw'.

He EXPLODED onto the scene last year, had an AMAZING first half of the season...then age and injuries really slowed him late last season. But for a rookie, great season. For a 'very raw rookie'? Phenomenal.

This year:

11.5 sacks - 5th in NFL

I haven't heard a whole lot the pat week, but prior to that, I COULD NOT BELIEVE THE AMOUNT OF BTCHING! I kept hearing "he needs to step up...he needs some timely plays...he needs to have a bigger impact..."

When he was drafted in 2012, for me to think he'd have 11.5 sacks in 2013, and people would largely complain about his play....I couldn't think that. It's unimaginable.

Last year he had, almost literally, 0 pass rush moves. The fking kid is still learning how to play...and has ELEVEN AND A HALF SACKS!

Second on the team in sacks? Ninkovich, everyone's favorite, with 7. Those totaled 34 yards. Chandler's 11.5 total 74. Ninkovich does have 86 tackles to Jones' 75 though.

Furthermore...once Vince went down...where do you think those double teams slid to? Jones faces 2 people MOST of the time, and STILL gets solid pressure.

Most fanbases would KILL to have a guy like him, but with most Pats fans it seems like "yeah, he's good...but he should be better."

Not even 2 years under the belt of a guy who was a very raw rookie and people want more.

And what do I base the thinking that most fans are under-satisfied? I laundry list of callers outlinging the things I just railed against, and people like Mike Reiss/Paul Perillo making comments over time agreeing with the 'wanting more' mentality. These are not Felger/Borges/Merloni type blowhards...those two (Reiss/Perillo) are guys I tend to respect when it comes to their opinions...

I guess I could be wrong, or maybe it's the minority making the majority of the noise...but I also see and hear very little praise going in Chandler's direction. He is the glue holding this very tattered defense together, and it seems like nobody knows, or cares.

As a side note/off topic...I'm constantly proud, and hurting my own shoulder reminding myself, for calling Matthew Slater, PRE-2011, the best gunner in football. The guy is a wizard, I truly enjoy watching that guy play. I never thought someone would surpass the mighty Larry Wigham and his long, flowing headband. And what's wrong with me that I remember so many special teamers...like Larry Izzo. (He did make the INT to secure the 31-0 revenge over Buffalo in the endzone...so many random football stats/facts, and I can't remember what I ate today!!!!!!)

[/QUOTE]

I have enjoyed many of your posts in the past but i have to disagree with the premise on this. I can't recall anyone criticizing Chandler Jones on this board at least this year. Are you sure you are not referring to the criticism of Chris Jones and the run defense? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

oh i think i have criticised him- hasn't it been said a lot of his sacks are more coverage sacks not him making a play. that he gets pushed around the qb too often running out of the play-

i think ninkovich it still better than him at this point and ninkovich is more of a solid starter than an elite guy

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Ahhhh, Jones had been praised left and right here. Maybe you're confusing this with another board.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He's not at full potential yet, needs to hit the weights if he wants to be elite. He's just good now.

Teams double him and he becomes a non-factor, compared to elite DEs, he doesn't beat double coverage as much as I would like.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fidd. Show Fidd's posts

He's already one of the best DE's in football. He can rush the passer and play the run. He can play the 3 tech in a 43 and 5 tech in a 34. Strong at the poa. Has 4 FF and over 120 tackles. Commands a double team whether 'Fork is in there or not.

And he's in his 2nd year.

I think Pats fans just like to bi tch.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

This year:

11.5 sacks - 5th in NFL

[/QUOTE]

Nobody picked on Jones here????

Anyway...you never really recovered from your crazy Hernandez is not quilty rants so perhaps lecturing others here isn't your forte...

Just sayin'

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Perhaps my opinion was crafted mostly by the radio. And I guarantee you, there has been a LOT of talk all season about how Jones has been ok, but slightly disappointing as he doesn't make more big plays at big times.

And nmpl...you're a d b a g. Plain and simple.

You obviously paid a LOT of attention to my thinking the Hernandez situation was bizarre and I DIDN'T think he was guilty. That was VERY EARLY ON...you apparently missed where I did a 180 and can't deny the facts that came pouring out over weeks.

Go ahead and continue to pick and choose and mold and contort things to whatever point you're trying to make.

Just sayin'.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

Perhaps my opinion was crafted mostly by the radio. And I guarantee you, there has been a LOT of talk all season about how Jones has been ok, but slightly disappointing as he doesn't make more big plays at big times.

You obviously paid a LOT of attention to my thinking the Hernandez situation was bizarre and I DIDN'T think he was guilty. That was VERY EARLY ON...you apparently missed where I did a 180 and can't deny the facts that came pouring out over weeks.

Go ahead and continue to pick and choose and mold and contort things to whatever point you're trying to make.

Just sayin'.

[/QUOTE]

The points I was trying to make you have made them for me...thank you...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to melswitts' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Can't agree...McGinnest started as an "elephant" position, moving around as the D needed, from down lineman to deep dropback in pass defense...Jones and he played different positions in the D...Jones got robbed this season, should have been in the pro bowl..next season...the pro bowl is all rep anyways, and is a complete waste of time

[/QUOTE]

I'm only comparing the two as pass rushers. I agree McGinnest was asked to do more...more so later in his career though...I don't remember him in coverage much when he was younger, but I recall him being better against the run than Jones. And as much a freak as Jones is athletically...McGinnest was more so, in fact he wasn't far behind (if at all) from Jevon Kearse, but I think Jones shows more as a pure pass rusher than McGinnest ever did.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

Just sayin'.

[/QUOTE]

Who picked on him on the radio? The only thing I ever heard someone say was that Smerlas and Deosie said he was overrated. And why the hell is Deosie even allowed to talk on the radio in NE after what he said about the region, the fans and the team while drunk after Super Bowl 46?!

Sections
Shortcuts