Thank God we didn't draft this punk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JerrySpringer. Show JerrySpringer's posts

Re: Thank God we didn't draft this punk

In Response to Re: Thank God we didn't draft this punk:
    In Response to Re: Thank God we didn't draft this punk : Wow. I am pretty sure you just showed everyone here that you don't get it. It's not about the carrying of the pads.  Good lord.
    Posted by russgriswold

Russ there is something you just dont understand either....Just because some teams made it a tradition of rookies acting like stooges doesnt mean the rookies have to do it or like it. If Im coming out of college to the Pro's and making pro money, I dont want some team plaer coming up to me and saying Hey roolie carry my pads, or run around the block....No not happening. Im there as a professional, Im there to learn and contribute to a team to win, you want to act stupid and pull pranks, do it on yoru time not mine. Humility has nothing to do with this at all. thats your reason or someone elses...If im being paid multi millions to preform, thats what I will do, you want to haze or pull pranks, go work for comedy central!   Just because you think it should be done or is ok, doesnt mean it is for everyone else, thats what you dont get.Wink

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: Thank God we didn't draft this punk : Russ there is something you just dont understand either....Just because some teams made it a tradition of rookies acting like stooges doesnt mean the rookies have to do it or like it. If Im coming out of college to the Pro's and making pro money, I dont want some team plaer coming up to me and saying Hey roolie carry my pads, or run around the block....No not happening. Im there as a professional, Im there to learn and contribute to a team to win, you want to act stupid and pull pranks, do it on yoru time not mine. Humility has nothing to do with this at all. thats your reason or someone elses...If im being paid multi millions to preform, thats what I will do, you want to haze or pull pranks, go work for comedy central!   Just because you think it should be done or is ok, doesnt mean it is for everyone else, thats what you dont get.
    Posted by JerrySpringer

Don't be surprise whe the QB tells you to get your head our of your a** and run the route the right way and you look at the vet recievers and say "what did I do wrong" you will hear "figure it out for yourself."  Vets have no obligation to help the rookies, but they do.  It's a right of passage in any male dominated organization.  You may not understand it, but I can assure you that fighting it will lead to your failure.  You can write a book on why it ain't fair, but it's not going to change anything.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

jerry you know what it does???  this player says im gonna do it my way...not your way or the established team way.... and i dont give a crap what all the other players on my team think......   he hasnt played a down...and hes setting himself apart...   so now he will go off into his corner...and hell make some friends and they will mumble to themselves about this or that... and then later when sh*t goes bad there will be that veteran, team oriented group... and then there will be dez and his group and how many other groups doing their own thing...

hes a loser, and so are you because i said so and you agreed before you even knew you were going to...now leave those girls and get off this stage

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Thank God we didn't draft this punk : Don't be surprise whe the QB tells you to get your head our of your a** and run the route the right way and you look at the vet recievers and say "what did I do wrong" you will hear "figure it out for yourself."  Vets have no obligation to help the rookies, but they do.  It's a right of passage in any male dominated organization.  You may not understand it, but I can assure you that fighting it will lead to your failure.  You can write a book on why it ain't fair, but it's not going to change anything.
    Posted by shenanigan

Nailed it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Anyone who's played sports at the high school and college/university level, or probably at any level, knows that hazing is part of the sports culture.  To not submit means that you see yourself as above the fray and your teammates perceive you as aloof, not a team player, self centered, etc.  Prove that you can accept a bit of hazing with humility and be accepted by the team.  You show that you're one of the guys, you don't put yourself above anyone, you accept that the older guys know a bit more about some things than you do, and that you know that whatever respect you get is going to be earned.  And guess what, test # 1 is hazing. 

All of you guys that have had your heads or eyebrows shaved, had Ben Gay put into your jock, or had to carry someone's dirty laundry know that it's what is required to fit in with the team. 

Not saying Bryant will never be a success and that he won't eventually earn the respect of his teammates, but he just made the task much harder than it needed to be.      

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JerrySpringer. Show JerrySpringer's posts

In Response to Re: Thank God we didn't draft this punk : Don't you understand it's more than refusing to be hazed?  It's about coachability, commitment, etc. Do you think Josh McDaniels woke up one day and just randomly decided Jay Cutler should be traded? A lot of these prima donna types will struggle in their careers because they don't get it and may never get it.
    Posted by russgriswold

Russ, what if its not A Diva or prema stereotype that you are already giving him, when you have never even spoken to this man. You guys are all out here saying that the whole team will dump on him if he doesnt let them haze him. Do you know how redidulous that sounds. I love the statement made, well the qb will tell him to figure it out himself... They dont have to tell the rookie anything.. WOW that is the most little boy attitude Ive ever heard mike.... You guys look at this like its a back yard school game, its not. These are Pros making millions of dollars.. If Im the owner of the team and I see people dogging my recruits because they think they deserve special treatment they would be disciplined. This isnt a matter of ego's, boy stories or frat house antics. These are grown men, in a professional business with a common goal, not king of the hill. I have to laugh because not one of you here giving all this supposed pro team talk has ever been a pro athlete. Most if likely have played high school football and maybe if that a handfull college. You guys go and live your fantasy football dreams and locker room wanna be stories lmao..... the truth is not one of you has a clue about what your talking about, you base it on opinions and reading books and espn....I tell you what, one of you go and talk to Dez and get his side, then you come back here and tell us what he said, then and only then will your facts, not opinions matter lol.... You guys crack me up! Espically you Russ, let me ask you, where is your degree from again in physchology? Im curious because you seem to know everything, You should write Bill B abd tell him how to run the locker room, you and Mike P........ Please write more, we really need a good laugh over hereTongue out

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JerrySpringer. Show JerrySpringer's posts

Anyone who's played sports at the high school and college/university level, or probably at any level, knows that hazing is part of the sports culture.  To not submit means that you see yourself as above the fray and your teammates perceive you as aloof, not a team player, self centered, etc.  Prove that you can accept a bit of hazing with humility and be accepted by the team.  You show that you're one of the guys, you don't put yourself above anyone, you accept that the older guys know a bit more about some things than you do, and that you know that whatever respect you get is going to be earned.  And guess what, test # 1 is hazing.  All of you guys that have had your heads or eyebrows shaved, had Ben Gay put into your jock, or had to carry someone's dirty laundry know that it's what is required to fit in with the team.  Not saying Bryant will never be a success and that he won't eventually earn the respect of his teammates, but he just made the task much harder than it needed to be.      
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn

Hmmmm, I played High School Football 4 years on the o-line, never got hazed, 2 years college til I broke my shoulder and arm in an auto accident in all that time never got hazed. My brother played semi pro football for 3 years and all his time never got as you say hazed ...That was mostly done in the Frats and with the Geeks that were losers, guess that tells us where you stood lol.... I think you guys watch too much Television, try the real world please.Yell

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to Re: Thank God we didn't draft this punk : Hmmmm, I played High School Football 4 years on the o-line, never got hazed, 2 years college til I broke my shoulder and arm in an auto accident in all that time never got hazed. My brother played semi pro football for 3 years and all his time never got as you say hazed ...That was mostly done in the Frats and with the Geeks that were losers, guess that tells us where you stood lol.... I think you guys watch too much Television, try the real world please.
    Posted by JerrySpringer

Jerry

Not gonna get into a pi$$ing contest with you on this one, it's your opinion and I can have mine since it's all about opinions around here.  Like you, I played sports -- football (soccer to most of you) and cricket, and later American football, basketball and track when we moved to the US.  I've played at the high school and college level as well.  And by and large every year the new guys to the club had to deal with some sort of hazing by the guys that were already there.  Some was pretty tame, some was a bit more harsh.  My first year of high school varsity football, all of the seniors made the freshmen and sophomores swallow an earthworm early a.m. before the first practice of the year after a particulary torrential downpour brought the worms out for some reason.  In college, new soccer recruits had eyebrows shaved, mohawks, etc.  I had one eyebrow shaved off completely and dealt with it.  And the older guys laughed about it and after that it was done.  If you've never faced hazing or dished it out in some manner, well then maybe you're an exception. 

I can promise you that I was not among the geeks and neither was I a frat boy, and I'm not a particulary small and defenseless man by any stretch, so no one forced me to do something I wouldn't do of my own free will. 

So some of your generalizations are wrong in my opinion.  Disagree with me all you want.  I guarantee more of us have gone through some type of hazing than not.  Sometime it was a badge of honor to be hazed -- it shows acceptance in some circumstances.  And it was not bad to walk around campus sans eyebrow with the girls knowing you were part of the jock crowd, which wasn't a bad thing.             

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

How many times did Dez make lower classmen in college do things for him because of his status as "the MAN" on the team.  I am certain a heck of a lot more times than the few the Cowboys vets will make him do.  Now the shoe is on the other foot and he is crying!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

This is about Dez Bryant and Roy Williams not hazing.

Roy has had a lot of crap to say about Bryant showing up and what place he was on the team. That was in public, I can imagine what he said in private.

I could careless about Bryant and hope he drops every pass. I only make the point that making this a big deal about his malcontent attitude might be a bit over the top.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

I would've taken Dez over McCourty every day just because he was a top 5 talent and the Pats have a good history of setting bad attitude guys straight...

What a little girl Dez Bryant is though...jesus christ...

Somebody should tell him that every player has been hazed as a rookie since the inception of the NFL...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

~Sorry To ALL who say that "hazing" is childish, pointless, or anything and everything else in the realm of Dez Bryant bing correct NOT to carry Roy William's pads...

You people are in ZERO way getting the big picture here on this one:

Since the freakin' dawn of time, And in so many Male-Dominated Societies, Groups, Clubs, Organizations or otherwise, -There IS a certain and specific way and a REASON behind this way OF accepting new members into many (if not MOST)- Secular/Private/Exclusive Group or Society...and YES- The Military IS very much the same here...

GENERALLY, It'll go like this:
    ~Beginning with some sort of an initial acceptance, where you want to be in the group and they agree to take you on, and offer you the opportunity to become one of their members.
    ~Thus one begins the trial for membership: Within this time, You follow their rules, You work & train hard and do what is asked of you.
    ~In so doing these things AND as This trial for membership goes further along: The following things are happening:  You have trusted mentors who show you the correct way for the correct reason(s), DUALLY and at the same time now-These Mentors/Elders/or simply Members show Guidance AND a sort of Tough Love towards you...
    ~WHY?  Here's some reasons Why:
    ~TO SHOW THAT-               
              -Joining this exclusive society ain't easy.
              -To BREAKDOWN the individual ego towards Unity, Togetherness, and     
               Group oneness over the singular self (humility and breaking down ego)
              -In place of NOT having a "Trial by Fire" yet thrown the way of this     
               "Pledge", The persons already Members, NEED to feel that they can    
               count on YOU as well IF and when you are a Member.
               -Similiarly, The initiate needs to see and know that, Although part of a 
               collective and cohesive unity, There STILL is a hierachy, In terms of 
                those who HAVE proven themselves already.
                -You show these things=Initiation & Membership 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

~Sorry To ALL who say that "hazing" is childish, pointless, or anything and everything else in the realm of Dez Bryant bing correct NOT to carry Roy William's pads... You people are in ZERO way getting the big picture here on this one: Since the freakin' dawn of time, And in so many Male-Dominated Societies, Groups, Clubs, Organizations or otherwise, -There IS a certain and specific way and a REASON behind this way OF accepting new members into many (if not MOST)- Secular/Private/Exclusive Group or Society...and YES- The Military IS very much the same here... GENERALLY, It'll go like this: ~Beginning with some sort of an initial acceptance, where you want to be in the group and they agree to take you on, and offer you the opportunity to become one of their members. ~Thus one begins the trial for membership: Within this time, You follow their rules, You work & train hard and do what is asked of you. ~In so doing these things AND as This trial for membership goes further along: The following things are happening:  You have trusted mentors who show you the correct way for the correct reason(s), DUALLY and at the same time now-These Mentors/Elders/or simply Members show Guidance AND a sort of Tough Love towards you... ~WHY?  Here's some reasons Why: ~TO SHOW THAT-                          -Joining this exclusive society ain't easy.           -To BREAKDOWN the individual ego towards Unity, Togetherness, and                 Group oneness over the singular self (humility and breaking down ego)           -In place of NOT having a "Trial by Fire" yet thrown the way of this                 "Pledge", The persons already Members, NEED to feel that they can                count on YOU as well IF and when you are a Member.            -Similiarly, The initiate needs to see and know that, Although part of a             collective and cohesive unity, There STILL is a hierachy, In terms of              those who HAVE proven themselves already.             -You show these things=Initiation & Membership 
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

Agree with the fact that a person new has to work his way in, gain trust and acceptance but not sure why the hell that has to include hazing. 

How about a rookie comes in, learns the playbook, practices hard everyday, asks questions and works his butt off.  If he does all that you dont think he gets acceptance and shows teamwork????  Somehow hazing and carry pads has to be included? Thats pretty dumb.

Even worse is your arguement that this is the way its always been, so you have to accept it.  So Blacks should have accepted slavery, women should not have the right to vote and the world is flat.

Guess what times change, try to change with them.  As mentioned before, this is the pros, NOT college, not High School.  They should grow up and act like mature adults.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Thank God we didn't draft this punk : Agree with the fact that a person new has to work his way in, gain trust and acceptance but not sure why the hell that has to include hazing.  How about a rookie comes in, learns the playbook, practices hard everyday, asks questions and works his butt off.  If he does all that you dont think he gets acceptance and shows teamwork????  Somehow hazing and carry pads has to be included? Thats pretty dumb. Even worse is your arguement that this is the way its always been, so you have to accept it.  So Blacks should have accepted slavery, women should not have the right to vote and the world is flat. Guess what times change, try to change with them.  As mentioned before, this is the pros, NOT college, not High School.  They should grow up and act like mature adults.
    Posted by Patsman2

That's a pretty interesting comparison.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

We don't really need to make this an exercise in studying human behavior to get the fact that Bryant is displaying an arrogant attitude by refusing to participate in what is generally accepted as a rite of passage in the NFL.  It doesn't matter if its Roy Williams or Joe Schmucatelli - a vet told Bryant to carry his pads and he refused.  That to me is more telling than the fact that the guy's got the wonderlic score of a parsnip.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

The concept of the pecking-order isn't just human nature, it exists throughout the animal kingdom.

Alert the media!

Dez Bryant is trying to flout genetics!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

In Response to Re: Thank God we didn't draft this punk : Exactly. How hard is this? I am surrpised so many are taking the time to say "it's Roy Williams" or "hazing is dumb and outdated" or whatever.  Neither are the point. Neither one of those statements have anything to do with his refusal means, symbolically. His not sort of laughing, and pickinng those pads up, and sort of playing up the ritual to throw it back into Roy's face, tells me all I need to know. That's why his stock dropped. That and other issues.  He's a prima donna.  When you are new guy like that, you should let people know things don't bother you. Drawing attention to yourself, making it about you, is a very good way to alienate your teammates.
    Posted by russgriswold

Hey Russ to fit in and belong on this board, you need to come over and mow my lawn.  Your not some kind of prima donna and gonna refuse are you???  Chop Chop!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Defow and Laz (first two posters)- spot on; nice posts.  Thanks, for that. :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from donspartucus. Show donspartucus's posts

In Response to Thank God we didn't draft this punk:
    A lot of people thought the Pats needed to draft a WR. And a lot of people,for some reason, thought they would go after Dez Bryant. When it came out that the guy was about as bright as a bag of rocks, I knew there was no way Bill would target him. Apparently, stupidity isn't Dez's only issue. Turns out he's a grade A punk. He is in the news for refusing to do what all rookies do: take part in "hazing." He refused to carry a verteran's pads  http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/25/dez-bryant-wont-carry-roy-williams-pads/ He will accomplish two things with this little stunt: All the veterans will hate him and be rooting for him to fail. He has become an outcast immmediately. Secondly, they will screw him twice as hard. They are going to get him. The whole idea is to show the rookies a little humility. Like Williams said, they are going to take it up a notch. Now it's personal. He's disrespected all the vets with this move. And I can guarantee you if he doesn't learn his place, at some point in a preseason game, one of the vets will "miss" a block that gets Dez lit like a Christmas tree. Hopefully he isn't injured. But you can't say he didn't have it coming. He can play along now, or he can play along later. It's just a question of how hard he wants to make things for himself. And anybody that wants to defend Bryant for "sticking up for himself" has never played football and just doesn't have a clue as to how teams work. This guy is a joke. I am so happy the Pats didn't waste a pick on this arrogant antisocial loser.
    Posted by dafoe

Good for him it's about time someone stepped up and put an end to this BS! Hazing isn't allowed anywhere else why should it be allowed in the NFL? Seems a few years ago someone tryed to punk out Giant rookie Jeremy Shockey and got his face punched in and his lights punched out for it.Good for him as well. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from donspartucus. Show donspartucus's posts

In Response to Thank God we didn't draft this punk : Good for him it's about time someone stepped up and put an end to this BS! Hazing isn't allowed anywhere else why should it be allowed in the NFL? Seems a few years ago someone tryed to punk out Giant rookie Jeremy Shockey and got his face punched in and his lights punched out for it.Good for him as well. 
    Posted by donspartucus

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank God we didn't draft this punk :
    Posted by donspartucus[/QU

That isn't what happened with Shockey. In fact Shockey ended up singing his fight song and then Mouthed off to one of the Vets. The Veteran then attacked Shockey.
    The "Fight" lasted all of 5 seconds and nobody got their face punched in. I remember the incedent well and also remember that he wasn't a popular guy on his team either being disliked by many. Shockey also got into a fight with Drew Breeze last year at practice. He's a heck of a team mate

Here's a link to the story.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1026569/index.htm

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

it appears that rodney harrison had a man to boy talk with bryant and explained to him...that this is normal for ROOKIES when they come through the door and all is good in texas....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from paparui. Show paparui's posts

In Response to Re: Thank God we didn't draft this punk : [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank God we didn't draft this punk : Posted by donspartucus[/QU That isn't what happened with Shockey. In fact Shockey ended up singing his fight song and then Mouthed off to one of the Vets. The Veteran then attacked Shockey. The "Fight" lasted all of 5 seconds and nobody got their face punched in. I remember the incedent well and also remember that he wasn't a popular guy on his team either being disliked by many. Shockey also got into a fight with Drew Breeze last year at practice. He's a heck of a team mate Here's a link to the story. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1026569/index.htm
    Posted by ewhite1065

I remember reading Shockey refused to sing but this link says different. The point is as a fan I could care less if a guy refuses some kind of hazing. If the guy shows up to work and produces on the field then that's all that should matter. If Roy Williams is crying over Bryant not carrying his pads I feel bad for Williams since he should be more concerned about becoming a productive WR. Bryant was the 1st top 32 pick to sign and seems to be working hard showing up to practice early. Those 2 things to me show he's taking this job seriously and wants to prove people wrong. The fact this guy held his cool after being asked if his mom was a prostitute or something to that liking should have erased some doubts about his maturity but its amazing he's still viewed as a problem player. What did Miami's front office get for asking that question anyway? I don't remember any fines or job loses for that incident.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Thank God we didn't draft this punk : I remember reading Shockey refused to sing but this link says different. The point is as a fan I could care less if a guy refuses some kind of hazing. If the guy shows up to work and produces on the field then that's all that should matter. If Roy Williams is crying over Bryant not carrying his pads I feel bad for Williams since he should be more concerned about becoming a productive WR. Bryant was the 1st top 32 pick to sign and seems to be working hard showing up to practice early. Those 2 things to me show he's taking this job seriously and wants to prove people wrong. The fact this guy held his cool after being asked if his mom was a prostitute or something to that liking should have erased some doubts about his maturity but its amazing he's still viewed as a problem player. What did Miami's front office get for asking that question anyway? I don't remember any fines or job loses for that incident.
    Posted by paparui

That's because it made for a better story to tell Shockey's side at the time instead of the whole truth. As far as the other stuff, I was pointing out that guys like that aren't favorites in clubhouse as was suggested above. I'm not of the opinion that teams should be fined for pushing the Buttons of a kid in an interview but that's just me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from donspartucus. Show donspartucus's posts

In Response to Re: Thank God we didn't draft this punk : [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank God we didn't draft this punk : Posted by donspartucus[/QU That isn't what happened with Shockey. In fact Shockey ended up singing his fight song and then Mouthed off to one of the Vets. The Veteran then attacked Shockey. The "Fight" lasted all of 5 seconds and nobody got their face punched in. I remember the incedent well and also remember that he wasn't a popular guy on his team either being disliked by many. Shockey also got into a fight with Drew Breeze last year at practice. He's a heck of a team mate Here's a link to the story. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1026569/index.htm
    Posted by ewhite1065

From Wikipedia:

Professional career

A fourth-round pick of the New York Giants (#105 overall) in the 2000 NFL Draft played 5 seasons for the New York Giants and two for the Carolina Panthers.

In his rookie year saw action in 11 regular season games and was inactive for five games because of an ankle injury. Appeared in all three of the Giants postseason contest, including Super Bowl XXXV.

Short's biggest claim-to-fame may be his infamous 2002 training camp cafeteria fistfight with teammate Jeremy Shockey. The two players brawled after Shockey, a rookie, refused to sing his college fight song—a training camp hazing ritual.[1] [2]

Sections
Shortcuts