Thanks for a great year, Patriots!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elaine17. Show Elaine17's posts

Re: Thanks for a great year, Patriots!

All of us are disappointed for sure but we had a great year and looking forward to next year    The Pat's are a class organization in victory and in defeat
    Thank you all for your hard work all yaer

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I had them 11-5 and losing in the AFC title game, so I wasn't too far off other than scaling back an original 12-4 prediction.

The good news is, this is one more year of experience for the young group and rookies, Brady is in very good shape for someone his age and the team has those 3 nice draft picks to make hay with in need spots.

Also, you have to figure their schedule will be a little more favorable next year as compared to this year's.

In the end, we learned how the young D would respond, watched them grow and really lay the groundwork for a pretty nasty team in 2011.  If there is a 2011, which I think there will be.

Also, with regards to Mankins, he's nothing without an offensive coordinator in here that has a better feel for calling a game. He played terrible in the game, largely in part because he isn't as good at pass blocking and moving laterally.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mkulacz. Show mkulacz's posts

Thank you Pats - Great year.

I expected 9-7, maybe 10-6.

14-2? Wow....

Youngest team in football, and more people (15) on IR than any other team in football.

I think Pat fans do need to admit two things though -

1) Bellehick is brilliant, but he needs more coaching help. The Pats offense, since CHarlie Weiss has left, has shown many times to not be able to adapt to the other teams strategy

2) Brady is one of the best of all time, but he has demonstrated that he is weak with improvising. No QB is more book smart, or prepares hader. But honestly, when things are not planned for, Brady just looks clueless. Great intensity, but not great instincts. I cant tell how many times Ben Rothlesberger has made something out of less than nothing. He fights, and improvises. Big Ben isnt the student of the game that Brady is, nor do I think he is as intelligent, but his career numbers are really starting to shine. Thank God the Pats have Brady, but the fans (and the Pats) need to admit that he has his weaknesses.

I hope the loss to the Jets can bring the Pats down to Earth. I really, really enjoyed this season. No reason to cry and complain because the Pats dropped a load in the playoffs. It happens. 11 out of 12 playoff teams do not win the superbowl. 6 out of 12 lose their first game. Its a tough business.

I am a New England Patriots fan. Love this part of the world, and love this team. Real fans can admit the weakness in their time, and support them despite not winning it all. After the mess with the Jets, we are going to start to see who the real Pat fans are, and who just wants to root for a team that wins so they feel better about themselves.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

When are we going to stop making excuses for these guys (Pats)? They went into the playoffs as the best team (in my opinion anyway) in the playoffs.

Even having a beat-up defense, they still kicked tail up to that game. Why  should playing in playoffs be any different? They had a really bad game and lost. The problem is, they've had a "bad game" for the past few years now....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WarriorAssassin. Show WarriorAssassin's posts

In Response to Re: Thanks for a great year, Patriots!:
    [QUOTE]Thank you Pats - Great year. I expected 9-7, maybe 10-6. 14-2? Wow.... Youngest team in football, and more people (15) on IR than any other team in football. I think Pat fans do need to admit two things though - 1) Bellehick is brilliant, but he needs more coaching help. The Pats offense, since CHarlie Weiss has left, has shown many times to not be able to adapt to the other teams strategy 2) Brady is one of the best of all time, but he has demonstrated that he is weak with improvising. No QB is more book smart, or prepares hader. But honestly, when things are not planned for, Brady just looks clueless. Great intensity, but not great instincts. I cant tell how many times Ben Rothlesberger has made something out of less than nothing. He fights, and improvises. Big Ben isnt the student of the game that Brady is, nor do I think he is as intelligent, but his career numbers are really starting to shine. Thank God the Pats have Brady, but the fans (and the Pats) need to admit that he has his weaknesses. I hope the loss to the Jets can bring the Pats down to Earth. I really, really enjoyed this season. No reason to cry and complain because the Pats dropped a load in the playoffs. It happens. 11 out of 12 playoff teams do not win the superbowl. 6 out of 12 lose their first game. Its a tough business. I am a New England Patriots fan. Love this part of the world, and love this team. Real fans can admit the weakness in their time, and support them despite not winning it all. After the mess with the Jets, we are going to start to see who the real Pat fans are, and who just wants to root for a team that wins so they feel better about themselves.
    Posted by mkulacz[/QUOTE]

Good observation. This isn't the first time the Pats haven't adjusted well in game. I think as a whole. The team itself prepares very well for the next upcoming game but has not adjusted very well during the game. I've always thought at halftime. Changes would be made but still seems as though they continue to play with minimal adjustments. IMO, I don't think that is why they lost, but most certiainly could have.

All in all, it was a pretty good season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]When are we going to stop making excuses for these guys (Pats)? They went into the playoffs as the best team (in my opinion anyway) in the playoffs. Even having a beat-up defense, they still kicked tail up to that game. Why  should playing in playoffs be any different? They had a really bad game and lost. The problem is, they've had a "bad game" for the past few years now....
    Posted by LittleTimmy31[/QUOTE]

I will never stop making excuses.  I will just make fewer of them than most of the other fans of other teams.  Because out of 32, only one wins the Lombardi.  So, it wasn't us.  O.K.  Adjust, reload, move on.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]Thank you Pats - Great year. I expected 9-7, maybe 10-6. 14-2? Wow.... Youngest team in football, and more people (15) on IR than any other team in football. I think Pat fans do need to admit two things though - 1) Bellehick is brilliant, but he needs more coaching help. The Pats offense, since CHarlie Weiss has left, has shown many times to not be able to adapt to the other teams strategy 2) Brady is one of the best of all time, but he has demonstrated that he is weak with improvising. No QB is more book smart, or prepares hader. But honestly, when things are not planned for, Brady just looks clueless. Great intensity, but not great instincts. I cant tell how many times Ben Rothlesberger has made something out of less than nothing. He fights, and improvises. Big Ben isnt the student of the game that Brady is, nor do I think he is as intelligent, but his career numbers are really starting to shine. Thank God the Pats have Brady, but the fans (and the Pats) need to admit that he has his weaknesses. I hope the loss to the Jets can bring the Pats down to Earth. I really, really enjoyed this season. No reason to cry and complain because the Pats dropped a load in the playoffs. It happens. 11 out of 12 playoff teams do not win the superbowl. 6 out of 12 lose their first game. Its a tough business. I am a New England Patriots fan. Love this part of the world, and love this team. Real fans can admit the weakness in their time, and support them despite not winning it all. After the mess with the Jets, we are going to start to see who the real Pat fans are, and who just wants to root for a team that wins so they feel better about themselves.
    Posted by mkulacz[/QUOTE]

Did you just compare Ben Roethlisberger to Tom Brady?  Good post, but I thought that part stood out.

Tom Brady just finished the season with a 9:1 TD/INT ratio.

I'd use the Giselle curse concept before pretending Ben Roethlisberger is somwhere near Brady.

Doesn't he have the lowest QB rating in any SB?  43, right?

I couldn't disagree more with "weak while improvising".   Are you watching the same QB side step in the pocket, waiting for people to get open?  Sort of hard to do that with missed blocking assignments, poor playcalling, no flow or rhythm and unchecked blitzes in a shotgun/pass situation.

Why do people go from praising Pats players one week to the Debbie Downer mode the next?

These people are human, not robots.  Sheesh.  Plenty of blame to go around like BB said.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WarriorAssassin. Show WarriorAssassin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thanks for a great year, Patriots! : I will never stop making excuses.  I will just make fewer of them than most of the other fans of other teams.  Because out of 32, only one wins the Lombardi.  So, it wasn't us.  O.K.  Adjust, reload, move on.  
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

This is why I refrain from posting most of the season. To many emotional, stupid and bandwagon comments.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

A lot went right during this rebuilding year.

Really good smackdowns against division rivals and contenders:
    at Buffalo 34-3
    Miami 38-7
    at Miami 41-14
    Jets 45-3
    at Chicago 36-7

Good games where the Patriots beat contenders:
    at Pittsburgh 39-26
    Baltimore 23-20
    Indianapolis 31-28
    Green Bay 31-27

Non-cardiac wins
    Cincinnati  38-24
    at Detroit 45-24
    Minnesota 28-18

+26 in turnovers all season including the playoff game.  Ints made the defense electrifying.

Great 2010 draft choices who might actually get better in 2011:
    Devin McCourty, hopefully rookie of the year.
    Gronkowski, not far behind McCourty
    Aaron Hernandez, for a fourth rounder!
    Zoltan for Space Emperor!

Other draft choices who might blossom in 2011:
    Jermaine Cunningham caused a few of those interceptions.
    Brandon Spikes, generally stopped runs well.
    Absolutely raw route runner Taylor Price has lots of talent.  BB knew the kid was absolutely raw, a 2011 talent if anything.

Brandon Tate had a good "rookie" year.  Most of the Class of 2010 is on the field and performing.

We saw exceptional runbacks by Tate, Edelman and 315 lb Rob Connolly. 

Patrick Chung blocked a punt and a field goal in the same game. 

Draft picks coming up: #18, #28, #33, #60, #76, #92.  Swimming lessons for sharks.  The picks are all spaced out pretty far from each other, so trading could take place at any time in the draft.  I expect exceptional bidding over #33, the first pick of the second day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

"click........ chhhackkk-chhhhick"  
    "What was that noise?" 
     "Uh oh. The Patriots just reloaded"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

One more discovery:  In this first year without a salary cap, New England has an owner willing to spend more cash for a better team.  By playing capology, he probably has set New England up for the next couple of years too.  Brady's latest signing bonus and Big Vince's latest signing bonus hopefully will be charged in this uncapped year, not as much into the future when the cap comes back.

"*The Patriots were the best team money could buy in 2010. You don’t think of them as a collection of high priced superstars, but a league source said the Patriots had the highest payroll in the NFL at $148 million. A good chunk of that payroll went into the pockets of Tom Brady, who during the season signed an extension that made him the NFL’s highest paid player."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-6364.html

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JAGUAR23. Show JAGUAR23's posts

IT WAS NOT A GREAT YEAR BECAUSE ANYTHING LESS THAN A SUPER BOWL IS UNEXCEPTABLE. IT IS LIKE SAYING THANKS FOR PUTTING BOTH OF MY EYES OUT BUTTTT AT LEAST I CAN FEEL AND SMELL.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Still too early for me.

I'm just coming around to be able to call 07 a good year overall, and 18-1 is a good year.

To lose like that is disappointing, to lose like that to the JETS is gut wrenching. Overall, I know it was a good year that exceeded expectations, but I can't bring myself to look at it that way yet.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

This year was better than I expected and yet I feel disappointed.

Then again, I think this team is set up to be successful for the next several years. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]IT WAS NOT A GREAT YEAR BECAUSE ANYTHING LESS THAN A SUPER BOWL IS UNEXCEPTABLE. IT IS LIKE SAYING THANKS FOR PUTTING BOTH OF MY EYES OUT BUTTTT AT LEAST I CAN FEEL AND SMELL.
    Posted by JAGUAR23[/QUOTE]

You can't spell unacceptable, but you want the team to win the superbowl?  Go find a team that never falls short, then.  Try the Jaguars.  Since they never expect to win anything, they never fall short.  Lots of seats open at their games, too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

All in all, the Pats were 14 and 3. The team had brought me a a  number of happy weekends. I am dispppointed at the loss, but guys, thanks for th ride. Life goes on. Look forwards to the next season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

As the win total rose so did the expectations for the playoffs.
    The Patriots were expected to trounce the loudmouthed Jets.
    It looked like our team was as overconfident as us fans were.
    I hope they learned a lesson and apply it to next postseason.

Sections
Shortcuts