That Ridley Sure Was A Reach

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: That Ridley Sure Was A Reach

And that QB Mallet!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

It is all because he is so arrogant

In Response to Re: That Ridley Sure Was A Reach:
    BB is a terrible GM.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

He has looked reallllly good.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Its all because everybody watches ESPN and thinks the talking heads are experts. Ridley looks to have all the tools. Speed, shifty, .power, and the drive

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Its all because everybody watches ESPN and thinks the talking heads are experts. Ridley looks to have all the tools. Speed, shifty, .power, and the drive
    Posted by Brady2Moss07

It is so nice to see!  Just think when he has the 1st team OL and WR's....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

I'll tell you guys straight...  I too, was JUST as loud with the Stevan Ridley pick...  I had hoped that BB would double-dip at the RB position this year, so that was good to me.  The initial problem I had w/ Ridley weighed on 2 things:  #1>5th rd projected big board selection, picked in early 3rd rd...Way more often than not, multi-rd "Reaches" neither pay off as well as certain higher skilled prospects who have fallen ("value" guys), and moreso-It's usually bad value in and of itself, when you can nab 1 guy, and STILL more often than not, grab your prospect with just a 1 rd reach.  #2> The biggest factor for me, was a huge lack of prospect skill decent reporting on Ridley...everywhere (and I follow the draft every day throughout the year, as you all know).  And (above all), you take the #1 (multi-rd reach), with the biggest "known" initially available to you (which was)=That first and initially ONLY Ridley highlight film...it svcked.  It made HIM look like he pretty much svcked.  

...When the 2nd one came out, and was offered on here at first, just about 1 month ago...Jesus, I changed my tune RIGHT then & there regarding his potential.  World of difference... 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

It's preseason. I know you know this...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Cedric Cobbs and Garrett Mills were pretty good in the preseason too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I know it's preseason, but Ridley didn't look like a rookie with 2 weeks of practice.  He is definitely more shifty than BJGE, but he learned the hard way on a few plays when trying to reach the edge that he's not at LSU anymore.  But, I like what I see, especially the hands and the way he looked like a pretty natural receiver. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Cedric Cobbs and Garrett Mills were pretty good in the preseason too.
    Posted by digger0862

Yah, and Cedric Cobbs ended up playing for the fins for around a decade, Running all over NE several times they played.  Garret Mills, well- maybe ya mean, David Thomas...?  I forget, 1 of the guys just went and helped contribute to New Orleans winning a Superbowl...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

i'll eat a bite of humble pie right now, but wait for a variety of factors before eating it all. there were a number of comparable power backs rated the same or higher than ridley but were drafted much lower or not at all. if we werent able to pick up all these probowlers in free agency, the 2 running back picks might have made less sense later in the year. like, if vereen were out for the year, would he be missed as much as other prospects that were availabe at other positions? no, because we have our other high drafted running back. morris probably gets cut, while ohrenberger makes the squad. bb probably knew kraft was willing to make a big splash in fa and w trades, so he drafted repeatedly at the position at which youth is most valued. he probably had a good idea ocho would work out as well.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I think people are confusing Cedric Cobbs for Patrick Cobbs.  Patrick did stick with Miami for 4 or 5 years, but he's done nothing against the Patriots rushing for under 30 yards rushing against them in his career with 1 TD.

As for Ridley, he played himself a really good football game tonight, giving fans a reason to be optimistic.  If he continues to develop, he'll be a real asset to the offense throughout the season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In Response to Re: That Ridley Sure Was A Reach : Yah, and Cedric Cobbs ended up playing for the fins for around a decade, Running all over NE several times they played.  Garret Mills, well- maybe ya mean, David Thomas...?  I forget, 1 of the guys just went and helped contribute to New Orleans winning a Superbowl...
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

Garrett Mills had some good preseason games for us in 2006. I just looked him up and he's still playing, so I guess you're right.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Yes, I meant Patrick Cobbs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

He looks solid.  great first preseason game. A+

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I read an article shortly after the draft that basically stated of all the picks we had, Ridley was the one to pay attention to.  I laughed at the time, my head full of Vereen and all the other high picks.  Starting to understand what that guy was talking about though. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Yes, I meant Patrick Cobbs.
    Posted by digger0862

It's VERY hard though digger, when it comes to guys Belichick certainly KNOWS have enough talent, BUT they're at a roster spot that's either stocked full, or at a pretty d#mn good-looking positional depth-chart, and/but certain other positions there are guys under THAT guy's skill-set, but your pretty low on this different position depth-wise, that it's an absolute, you can't cut anyone else from the 2nd positions spot (b/c injury, overall depth, an even larger drop-off in available talent not on any team roster, etc).

Second factor, is how BB's differing schematics have been always adapting & shifting to try different overall schemes, in a broader sense...here on the Offensive side of the ball, as it relates to Patrick Cobbs & David Thomas (b/c I think that's who you mean as well, not Garret Mills...Both Thomas & Mills, 2006 TE Draftees, in the 3rd and the 4th rd. Thomas showing FAR more potential while here, than Mills ever did). 

Patrick Cobbs=Showed mad skill in his 1 preseason here, as an UDFA.  Yet, around 2006, BB started spreading out the Offense a bit more than the past (gone to the extreme by 2007-2008 season).  Less dink and dunk ball-control, more intermediate routes it seemed.  Also-Ya got Corey Dillon, Heath Evans, and Patrick Pass(?), Kevin Faulk, and I believe Maroney too(?-unsure), The 1st 3, as proven vets, Evans and Pass had pretty much their best 1 or 2 years within this timeframe, Dillon was great in 2005...ALL these 3 could bang the ball hard & powerfully, And the added problem (as if depth at RB overall wasn't enough), was that Cobbs was a power-runner too...  So BB tried to sneak him on the practice squad, but was a no-go...

David Thomas=Thomas WOULD have fit in nicely...but for like 3 or 4 years, the guy ended up hurt, at the beginning/early stages of the season, each time...  His final year, when he played the most, Thomas started playing worse than ever (flagrant foul in Indy game).  The guy showed talent each & every time, but there's only so much you can deal with injury-wise, and IF you start seeing that decent enough talent start diminishing, that injury & other negative factors, a coach's gotta start weighing much more heavily towards.  Every year, BB had to find some TE off the street each time Thomas would get injured: Stephen Spach, Chris Baker...Waste of time, just dealing w/ the fact that you KNOW you'll need some (or any) type of 3rd TE, b/c your own 3rd TE WILL get hurt come the beginning of each year...    

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In Response to Re: That Ridley Sure Was A Reach : It's VERY hard though digger, when it comes to guys Belichick certainly KNOWS have enough talent, BUT they're at a roster spot that's either stocked full, or at a pretty d#mn good-looking positional depth-chart, and/but certain other positions there are guys under THAT guy's skill-set, but your pretty low on this different position depth-wise, that it's an absolute, you can't cut anyone else from the 2nd positions spot (b/c injury, overall depth, an even larger drop-off in available talent not on any team roster, etc). Second factor, is how BB's differing schematics have been always adapting & shifting to try different overall schemes, in a broader sense...here on the Offensive side of the ball, as it relates to Patrick Cobbs & David Thomas (b/c I think that's who you mean as well, not Garret Mills...Both Thomas & Mills, 2006 TE Draftees, in the 3rd and the 4th rd. Thomas showing FAR more potential while here, than Mills ever did).  Patrick Cobbs=Showed mad skill in his 1 preseason here, as an UDFA.  Yet, around 2006, BB started spreading out the Offense a bit more than the past (gone to the extreme by 2007-2008 season).  Less dink and dunk ball-control, more intermediate routes it seemed.  Also-Ya got Corey Dillon, Heath Evans, and Patrick Pass(?), Kevin Faulk, and I believe Maroney too(?-unsure), The 1st 3, as proven vets, Evans and Pass had pretty much their best 1 or 2 years within this timeframe, Dillon was great in 2005...ALL these 3 could bang the ball hard & powerfully, And the added problem (as if depth at RB overall wasn't enough), was that Cobbs was a power-runner too...  So BB tried to sneak him on the practice squad, but was a no-go... David Thomas=Thomas WOULD have fit in nicely...but for like 3 or 4 years, the guy ended up hurt, at the beginning/early stages of the season, each time...  His final year, when he played the most, Thomas started playing worse than ever (flagrant foul in Indy game).  The guy showed talent each & every time, but there's only so much you can deal with injury-wise, and IF you start seeing that decent enough talent start diminishing, that injury & other negative factors, a coach's gotta start weighing much more heavily towards.  Every year, BB had to find some TE off the street each time Thomas would get injured: Stephen Spach, Chris Baker...Waste of time, just dealing w/ the fact that you KNOW you'll need some (or any) type of 3rd TE, b/c your own 3rd TE WILL get hurt come the beginning of each year...    
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

It is hard to remember preseason 5 years ago. lol It may have been Thomas I was thinking of. Regardless, I brought those guys up more so to remind myself to temper expectations a bit I think because Ridley sure looked damn good tonight in his first NFL preseason game.

Sections
Shortcuts