That Ridley Sure Was A Reach

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Re: That Ridley Sure Was A Reach

Rusty, I'm not trying to be a downer but Jacksonville's 2nd stringers on defense were in the same boat. Its not like they've been practicing for months. To be blunt, they were horrific

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

King after the 1st pre-season game during a shorten camp (which benefits the RB position more then any other position) you are comparing Ridley to multiple pro-bowler in Dillion, a pro-bowler/RoF candidate in McCourty, and a excellent rookie in a different sport Skinner.

Seriously man take a deep breath and step back for a second. Lets see what he can do for at least the rest of the pre-season and a couple of regular season games before tossing him into the pro-bowl after dominating back-ups, ok?

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmo14. Show cosmo14's posts

If you haven't noticed, it is the first game of the PRESEASON. Doesn't mean one tiny bit of difference how good anyone looked. Preseason results and stats are worthless.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Ridley looked phenomenal...

But I'll get excited when he's running like that against the Jets...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Great way to start a carrear   3 td´s  lots of good plays. This will pump the other RB... Competition is the best thing that can happen for a club in pre-season.

I bet Vareen can´t wait to get to the field and say HERE I AM !!!!!

go pats !

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mojobag101. Show mojobag101's posts

I'm still hoping to see Vereen show what he can do,but Ridley looked damn good.The hands out of the back field were an added bonus and his quick feet make up for the lack of high end speed.Love the way he takes on the tacklers and gains leverage for that extra yard(twisting and keeping his knees up on the 1st score,you can't teach that).....Im still sticking to my guns that if him and Vereen show something that BJGE could be moved.If it came down to keeping one of the hungry young D lineman and moving BJGE for a 3rd or 4th rounder............hmmmm

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

ridley was nothing like maroney from what i saw, he was decisive fighting for every yard, and showed good balance and agility. hopefully we will see vereen soon, could be quite a complement of backs. this team has so many young players, great job by belichick. can't complain about going 14-2 in a "rebuilding" season.

i see lots of blowouts this year

the jets are going down fast..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

ingram is the better back and just as good of a pass catcher. nice to see ridley playing so well so early, but other power backs drafted from 5th round-undrafted will also play well as rookies. happens every year. i'm still happy for ridley and it looks like he should earn his 3rd round value, as in, play quite well.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Regular season Ridley will be more of a short yardageback, but its good to have diff. backs w/ diff. skills, but dont sleep on Vareen.  He is the electric one who will break big runs...and we have the bruiser to get TD's and first downs...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

It doesen't matter, without a #1 WR were not going to win a playoff game ever.
    Its the same talk as last year, everybody is all gon ho  about the Rookies and everthing and then when we get knocked out of the playoffs because we have no great deep threat.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

In Response to Re: That Ridley Sure Was A Reach:
    Its all because everybody watches ESPN and thinks the talking heads are experts. Ridley looks to have all the tools. Speed, shifty, .power, and the drive
    Posted by Brady2Moss07

The cast of Jersey Shore is replacing them in the near future. Expect the quality of the broadcasts to go up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Coming into the fray late.

Of all the draft picks this was the one I didn't understand.  Not that the Pats didn't need another RB because they did.  Two things on the Ridley selection.  First, I thought better RBs were there and I still do.  Second, if Ridley why not in a later round.

As usual on things like this I go into "in Bill I trust" mode.  I'll wait and see and try to learn something about the selection process.  Obviously, Ridley possesses a skill set that BB admires.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

Preseason game or not -Ridley looked like he belonged in the NFL . I'm interested to see what SF's KENDAL HUNTER does tonight vs Saints ( the Rb that was on my pre-drat wish-list )

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

One preseason game doesn't constitute an HOF career. Good games for several Patriots against a second and third team defense. Solder had an outstanding game as did a bunch of JAGS (just another guy's) Farnham,Jenkins,Fletcher,Love,Richards,I can name others who played well so I'm going to limit my excitement. It's a marathon not a sprint..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

That's what I mean.  How can you not want a Dillon style bruiser here? And he catches!  I mean, you'll have this at times: Branch           Gronk                  Welker             OchoCinco                                Brady                                                                Ridley They are just one step closer to putting D's on their feet not knowing if it's a pass or run. Run behind Mankins and Gronk, hit Ridley on a check down while everyone is concerened with the rest. if you look at the Pitt game, NE checked down a bunch to a wide open BJGE, because Pitt was so concerned with everything else. Now you know Ridley can catch better than BJGE, which is more of a concern for Ds. Vereen is the faster guy, with 3rd down capability and even greater pass catching skills, but Ridley is like your Charlie Garner type. Then you move in Hernandez and Price, maye an Edelman to spell Welker, and Woodhead, etc. Look at the ability of each player and how they can do different things. You going to overcommit and sleep on OchoCinco in single coverage?  Because hell run the right deep route right by you. I just hope we see less and less shotgun/spreads.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Getting back to a run-first offense (or at least one with a more consistent run threat).

I harped on this for ages: the Patriots need someone who defenses will respect as a runner AND a pass-catcher/blitz-pickup.  For AGES they've needed to substitute and broadcast that they can only run a portion of their playbook with Woodhead or BJGE or Faulk

As Woodhead showed, he's not a between-the-tackles runner.  He's a change-of-pace back at best (albeit one of the better scat backs, behind Darren Sproles, Leon Washington, and Reggie Bush).

If Ridley can catch consistently, he'll be deadly.  Same goes for Vereen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

this has gone far enough. its 1 game. lets wait for the regular season before crowning him Arian Foster.  Gotta say, I can't wait for game 2 to watch him run and catch passes again!
    Posted by btownteamsrking

"lets wait for the regular season before crowning him Arian Foster.  "

love it!
    really appreciating the humor!
    thanks!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Liked what I saw with Ridley last night.  Agree that it's only the first pre-season game but isn't this what being a fan is about - irrational exuberance? With apologies, of course, to the rational posters on this forum.
    Posted by ATJ

"Agree that it's only the first pre-season game but isn't this what being a fan is about - irrational exuberance? With apologies, of course, to the rational posters on this forum."

very nice post!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

While I will also refrain from being too excited about a pre-season game, I also believe that looking good in a pre-season game is better than looking bad.  It's no guarantee that it will carry into the regular season, but it often does.  Sometimes you can just tell when someone has "it".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: That Ridley Sure Was A Reach : Getting back to a run-first offense (or at least one with a more consistent run threat). I harped on this for ages: the Patriots need someone who defenses will respect as a runner AND a pass-catcher/blitz-pickup.  For AGES they've needed to substitute and broadcast that they can only run a portion of their playbook with Woodhead or BJGE or Faulk As Woodhead showed, he's not a between-the-tackles runner.  He's a change-of-pace back at best (albeit one of the better scat backs, behind Darren Sproles, Leon Washington, and Reggie Bush). If Ridley can catch consistently, he'll be deadly.  Same goes for Vereen.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

Exactly right . . . also liked the way Ridley was able to find extra yards in close spaces.  Not only can he play in both spread (Woodhead) and tight (BJGE) formations, I think he showed a little more ability to get extra yards in tight spaces and break free when he seemed about to be taken down. BJGE can pound out yards up the middle, but he doesn't seem to have much potential to break loose and get those extra breakaway yards.  Ridley showed some potential to do that. 

Of course, it's one preseason game and we'll have to see when the defenders are tackling better . . .   

Sections
Shortcuts