That's Some Discount

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: That's Some Discount

Looks like pcmIV jumped the gun on this thread.  Looks like he took the Rusty approach here.  Maybe should have waited until the details came out.  We should all have know this by now, especially concerning the Revis deal that sounded to good to be true at first then the details came out and yeah, it was too good to be true.  Don't take that as a knock on our favorite team, just making the point that we shouldn't jump the gun until the details are released.

Anyway...

Concerning Kaepernicks deal, sounds like the 49'ers made a very good deal with exit strategies should it not work out.  And Kaepernick took the approach of let me earn my money based on my performance and health every year. That's confidence!  Not many QB's make that deal.  

Also, I Found this interesting....

the average payout will be low in comparison to other franchise quarterbacks, and the difference will become glaring as other franchise quarterbacks get new deals under a salary cap that is expected to continue to spike.

pcmIV probably wishes this thread would hurry up die already.

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Take this bet Russ.   I like your chances.

[/QUOTE]

I would make this bet with you but nobody would even notice if you left.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Daaaaaang feisty...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Daaaaaang feisty...

[/QUOTE]

LMAO!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Amazing money for a kid that hasn't won a darn thing yet....

And Brady ain't even in the top 5....or even top 10 in QB rankings anymore....

Not sure when it happened....but at some point my understanding of football smarts must have passed me by.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

1) re SF window. Follow the draft choices. SF is loaded with draft choices meaning low salaries for key players. 

2) Kap took a team friendly deal structured (per Schefter) to SF advantage. No chance he sees $126m with this deal

3) the cap is not going up...it is going to level off, with this years TV money spiking the cap 

4) Wilson, Luck perhaps RG3 likely trump the Kap deal 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Joe is missing the point on Brady's contract...he rcvd approx $$35 in signing and restructure bonus, and his 2014-17 years are guaranteed against injury. 

In essence Brady is on a 4/$70 pretty much guaranteed (at least against injury, and let's face it, he isn't getting cut)

[/QUOTE]

its actually like a 5/70 but I get the added money on the restructure all I know is Brady is making less than the Romo's and cutler's of the world

[/QUOTE]

Joe, with all due respect, that's not true. 

Romo will be cut after the 2016 year so he won't see $54M of his deal and the Cowboys have $5M in dead money.

Brady will see every dime of his deal

whats the point of looking at AAV if the contract is back loaded and the players don't see those lost lucrative last years? 

Brady was front loaded, and will see every dime. 

The question Boys fans should be asking isn't why did they give Romo the contract, but why aren't they grooming his successor

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

its actually like a 5/70 but I get the added money on the restructure all I know is Brady is making less than the Romo's and cutler's of the world

[/QUOTE]

Romo will be cut after the 2016 year so he won't see $54M of his deal and the Cowboys have $5M in dead money.

whats the point of looking at AAV if the contract is back loaded and the players don't see those lost lucrative last years? 

The question Boys fans should be asking isn't why did they give Romo the contract, but why aren't they grooming his successor

[/QUOTE]

Brady will also be done after 2016 by that same analysis, when his dead money is $6 mil (and his cap hit is $15 mil).  

Most star QBs actually do see the money, or at least most of it, because they're hard to replace. Kaep just needs to stay healthy and he'll get all of the $110 mil, probably more because he'll renegotiate before it's over.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Unless, of course, he turns out not to be so hard to replace. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Brady will also be done after 2016 by that same analysis, when his dead money is $6 mil (and his cap hit is $15 mil).  

Most star QBs actually do see the money, or at least most of it, because they're hard to replace. Kaep just needs to stay healthy and he'll get all of the $110 mil, probably more because he'll renegotiate before it's over.

[/QUOTE]

Isn't that what Alex Smith said?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The difference which I pointe out to begin with, is that if Romo is cut after 2016 ( which he will be) the Boys are saving $20m per year in salary for 3 years ($60m of Romo's reported salary) 

If Brady is cut after 2016, the Pats are saving $9M as Brady will already have pocketed his bonus

My point was Romo's deal is based on money he will never see...but Brady's deal is based on money for the most part he has already put in his pocket...

Arguably, Brady has the best contract in the NFL as he will see all of his money

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

As it turns out, the 49ers only guaranteed his money against injury and it's basically a pay-as-you-go deal in a sense.  They can cut him without any real repercussion if they decide to go that route in a couple of years.  NFL deals are never what they appear to be on the surface.  Kaepernick's deal includes de-escalators that could reduce the maximum worth from $126M-$114M.The deal could be looked at as 2yrs/$28m (pay-as-you-go).  Not bad considering the average salary for the top tier QBs in the game.  The Ravens are still spending more money on the highly overrated Joe Flacco.  And Kaep's got Flacco's binky in Anquan Boldin.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

It's being reported that Luck and Wilson will get $24-$25 mill per season next year. 49ers did very well here. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

It's being reported that Luck and Wilson will get $24-$25 mill per season next year. 49ers did very well here. 

[/QUOTE]
    49er's did well if you consider KP a top 10 QB... I think the jury is still out as to what he is.  Wilson and Luck will demand more because they are better than KP.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    49er's did well if you consider KP a top 10 QB... I think the jury is still out as to what he is.  Wilson and Luck will demand more because they are better than KP.

[/QUOTE]

I think Luck is better then Kaepernick but I don't think Wilson is.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think Luck is better then Kaepernick but I don't think Wilson is.

[/QUOTE]
    It certainly will be interesting to see which QB is better suited to play in the NFC West. Every team in that division can get after it on D so it will be incumbent on both those QB's to improve their play this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

It certainly will be interesting to see which QB is better suited to play in the NFC West. Every team in that division can get after it on D so it will be incumbent on both those QB's to improve their play this year.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree that will be a very interesting division to watch.  It will also be very interesting to watch Kaep and Wilson progress and develop.  I still think Kaep has more physical tools and strengths and will develop into a much better QB then Wilson when all is said and done.

I'm surrounded by mostly 49'er fans, but also have many Denver fans and Raider fans in the area.  The Denver fans are the most annoying right now but if the 49'ers get a SB here in the near future then the 49'er love is going to be unbearable.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree that will be a very interesting division to watch.  It will also be very interesting to watch Kaep and Wilson progress and develop.  I still think Kaep has more physical tools and strengths and will develop into a much better QB then Wilson when all is said and done.

I'm surrounded by mostly 49'er fans, but also have many Denver fans and Raider fans in the area.  The Denver fans are the most annoying right now but if the 49'ers get a SB here in the near future then the 49'er love is going to be unbearable.  

[/QUOTE]

The issue with Kap for me for me is between his ears. He doesn't have the ability to stand in the pocket and go through his progressions. Once he makes that first read and that first option is covered he pulls it down and relies on his physical tools. He needs to get better in the pocket because eventually his physical tools will not be enough.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The issue with Kap for me for me is between his ears. He doesn't have the ability to stand in the pocket and go through his progressions. Once he makes that first read and that first option is covered he pulls it down and relies on his physical tools. He needs to get better in the pocket because eventually his physical tools will not be enough.

[/QUOTE]

That's a fair point. But the further question is does he have the capacity to grow his knowledge of the system, and make mental improvements to his game. Harbaugh obviously feels he does, and really, would you want any other coach in the NFL when working with a young QB? 

I would assume the contract offered by San Fran is based on CK making the mental strides to go with his physical ability....with the out clauses available to them in case he doesn't. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's a fair point. But the further question is does he have the capacity to grow his knowledge of the system, and make mental improvements to his game. Harbaugh obviously feels he does, and really, would you want any other coach in the NFL when working with a young QB? 

I would assume the contract offered by San Fran is based on CK making the mental strides to go with his physical ability....with the out clauses available to them in case he doesn't. 

[/QUOTE]

That's the thing. It's a hefty contract, but the guarantees are there only for injury, not performance.  If they decide he's not performing to the level they like, they can cut him without a problem. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree about Harbaugh being a good mentor for the kid and the contract is basically a good deal for the team. I just don't know if this kid is going to be able to identify defenses pre-snap and then diagnose what he is seeing. It will be interesting to watch and see if he can mature as a pocket QB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Looks like pcmIV jumped the gun on this thread.  Looks like he took the Rusty approach here.  Maybe should have waited until the details came out.  We should all have know this by now, especially concerning the Revis deal that sounded to good to be true at first then the details came out and yeah, it was too good to be true.  Don't take that as a knock on our favorite team, just making the point that we shouldn't jump the gun until the details are released.

Anyway...

Concerning Kaepernicks deal, sounds like the 49'ers made a very good deal with exit strategies should it not work out.  And Kaepernick took the approach of let me earn my money based on my performance and health every year. That's confidence!  Not many QB's make that deal.  

the average payout will be low in comparison to other franchise quarterbacks, and the difference will become glaring as other franchise quarterbacks get new deals under a salary cap that is expected to continue to spike.

I see someone is still butthurt that I called them out for incessantly whining that the Patriots didn't draft JAG extraordinaire CJ Fiedorowicz.  You seem to be confused about the meaning of the word discount.  Just because the 9ers structured the deal in a way that allows them to cut CK does not mean he took a discount.  By that logic Brady did not take a discount because his last extension basically made him uncuttable.  Saying that CK's deal will get topped by future deals is pointless.  That happens every year in the NFL.  And let's be honest here.  The deal might be "pay as you go", but we all know for the QB position that teams are reluctant to part with competent starters meaning unless CK completely sucks they aren't going to cut him and he is going to see most of the money on this deal.

As I said on my 2nd post on this thread I do not care that he negotiated the way he did.  I just think it is phony for players (not just Kap) to wax poetic about taking discounts and then sign a deal that will make him one of the highest paid players in the game if he doesn't completely suck in the next few years.

Maybe you should grab a dictionary and look up the word discount before you post here.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

I see someone is still butthurt that I called them out for incessantly whining that the Patriots didn't draft JAG extraordinaire CJ Fiedorowicz.  You seem to be confused about the meaning of the word discount.  Just because the 9ers structured the deal in a way that allows them to cut CK does not mean he took a discount.  By that logic Brady did not take a discount because his last extension basically made him uncuttable.  Saying that CK's deal will get topped by future deals is pointless.  That happens every year in the NFL.  And let's be honest here.  The deal might be "pay as you go", but we all know for the QB position that teams are reluctant to part with competent starters meaning unless CK completely sucks they aren't going to cut him and he is going to see most of the money on this deal.

As I said on my 2nd post on this thread I do not care that he negotiated the way he did.  I just think it is phony for players (not just Kap) to wax poetic about taking discounts and then sign a deal that will make him one of the highest paid players in the game if he doesn't completely suck in the next few years.

Maybe you should grab a dictionary and look up the word discount before you post here.

Butthurt because you called me out for wanting a TE in the draft.  Um, no.  Why would I be butthurt about that?  The team failed to get one of the top 5 TE's in the draft and it was a mistake.  Writers and experts still saying so.  It will be a major flaw on offense this season if they don't find someone, and last I looked the available options are not great.

Concerning a discount I would say he pretty much signed a team friendly contract.....

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1h

Most unique aspect of Colin Kaepernick’s new deal: it contains $12 million in signing bonus, whereas most big QB deals are $24-$40 million.

Colin Kaepernick specifically requested his deal allow 49ers flexibility to negotiate extensions with players such as WR Michael Crabtree.

That would be considered a discount in my book.  Especially since Luck and Wilson will be signing contracts next season worth $25 mill per year.  What did you expect?  A player coming of his rookie contract to the prime of his career and you think he should take half??? Yeah, that is silly. 

Sorry you jumped the gun making this thread before hearing the details of the contract.   The intent of this thread is pretty foolish and backfired on you.  Maybe don't rush to judgement next time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bustify. Show Bustify's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Anyway...

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ugh, the bolded part was beyond annoying. 

I'm parted on this...on one hand, I have a tough time calling it a discount when it allows him to become the highest paid at his position. On the other hand, the 49ers are not completely locked in, so it isn't a terrible contract either.

If I had to lean towards a side, I would lean more towards your view, but I don't think TFB's is necessarily wrong. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Just as I expected............

There was a good indication the 49ers weren’t worried about potential charges against Colin Kaepernick when they gave him a contract extension.

And now, there’s legal justification for that call.

“No charges, no indication that a criminal act was committed,” said Ed Griffith of the State Attorney’s Office. “She was alleging that she may have been the victim of a sexual assault, and there was no evidence.”

Kaepernick maintained his innocence throughout, and the 49ers stood by him.

“At some point there needs to be a resolution to some of jump-the-gun, witch-hunt kind of scenario that we’re seeing,” 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said earlier this offseason. “I mean, the only victim in Colin’s case is Colin’s reputation.”

That has now been cleared.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/12/no-charges-against-colin-kaepernick-from-miami-incident/" rel="nofollow">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/12/no-charges-against-colin-kaepernick-from-miami-incident/

FALSE ALARM from another person looking to cash in on someones fame.  TMZ continues to be a joke.