That's Some Discount

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: That's Some Discount

"Sorry you jumped the gun making this thread before hearing the details of the contract. The intent of this thread is pretty foolish and backfired on you. Maybe don't rush to judgement next time."

I'd say that's about right. This doesn't look like a cap hell situation, but a little bit of cap hell is good for a team anyhow, shows a level of urgency that you can't just cash in five division titles for a ring. 

Only issue, as some have pointed out - if Kap turns out not to be a top ten QB, this isn't such a good deal. Like his mobility but he broadcasted his reads in the championship game at the Seahawks CBs ate him for lunch. 

But, I think Kap will turn out to be a top ten QB and this deal looks good. 

Right now their franchise is a in good shape EXCEPT for the weird tensions between coach and management.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

This doesn't look like a cap hell situation

When did I say it was?  My argument is very simple.  Teams do not cut young, competent QBs.  Therefore unless Kap regresses to an unfathomably bad level he will see a lot of money that is commensurate with being one of the top players in the league.  That isn't taking a discount.  Sorry.  The fact that the 9ers can cut Kap does not make it a discount.  By that logic Brady's 3/27 extension was not a discount because it made him virtually uncuttable.  The fact that his deal will get topped by subsequent deals does not make it a discount.  That is the reality of the NFL.  New contract records are set every year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

And for the record I never once criticized the 49ers for giving Kap this deal.  I don't even think Kap was wrong to negotiate the best deal he could get.  I just think it's silly for professional athletes (not just Kap) to wax poetic about taking a discount and then sign a deal that essentially guarantees they are one of the highest paid players in the league as long as they don't turn into Mark Sanchez overnight.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Still a lot of money to give an alleged rapist.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Now that is a ridiculous comment, but I expected something dumb like that from you.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Now that is a ridiculous comment, but I expected something dumb like that from you.   

[/QUOTE]

It's a good thing he got paid because I'm sure he had to pay that woman a bundle to drop the charges.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Alleged by who?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Alleged by who?

[/QUOTE]

Kaepernick was accused of sexually assaulting a woman in Miami a couple of months ago.  Sounded pretty bad.  Then, she suddenly decided to drop charges shortly after he signed his huge contract.  Weird, huh?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Kaepernick was accused of sexually assaulting a woman in Miami a couple of months ago.

No he wasn't.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

wasn't the women committed to the psych ward? didn't the officer first on scene witness the women "in unusual solo sexual positions" and had to call in reinforcements for the scene?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Kaepernick was accused of sexually assaulting a woman in Miami a couple of months ago.  Sounded pretty bad.  Then, she suddenly decided to drop charges shortly after he signed his huge contract.  Weird, huh?

Show me?  It doesn't surprise me that you don't have your facts straight. Let me guess, you work for TMZ! LMAO!

You Fail! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

This doesn't look like a cap hell situation.

When did I say it was?  My argument is very simple.  Teams do not cut young, competent QBs.  Therefore unless Kap regresses to an unfathomably bad level he will see a lot of money that is commensurate with being one of the top players in the league.  That isn't taking a discount.  Sorry.  The fact that the 9ers can cut Kap does not make it a discount.  By that logic Brady's 3/27 extension was not a discount because it made him virtually uncuttable.  The fact that his deal will get topped by subsequent deals does not make it a discount.  That is the reality of the NFL.  New contract records are set every year.

It is and it isn't.  The economic value of a guaranteed $100 payment is higher than that of $100 payable only if certain conditions are met.  I guess I see Kap's contract as somewhat discounted because of all the conditions, while Brady's contract is more at a premium because of all the guarantees.  Compared with typical NFL deals for the same nominal amounts, Kap's has lowered value because it can be terminated by the team easily, while Brady's has higher value because it pretty much can't be terminated by the team.  Still, thse discounts and premiums maybe aren't quite as significant as reductions or increases in nominal value might be.   

Sections
Shortcuts