The 2008 season.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The 2008 season.

Let's look closer at the 2008 season fans endlessly troop out to show the brilliance of BB without Brady.

Who did we play, and who did the rest of the division play?

In 2007 the rest of the division had a combined 12 wins in 2007.

They had a combined 22 wins in 2009.

But they had a combined 27 wins in 2008.

So, either the other division teams collectively were better in 2008 than they were in the previous or subsequent years, or the 2008 division schedule was easier.

Exactly who did we play in 2008?

W - Chiefs - Final record:  2-14 (score 17-10)

W - jets - Final record:  9-7 (score 19-10)

L - Dolphins - Final record:  11-5 (score 38-13)

W - 49ers - Final record:  7-9 (score 30-21)

L - Chargers - Final record:  8-8 (score 30-10)

W - Broncos - Final record:  8-8 (score 41-7)

W - Rams - Final record:  2-14 (score 23-16)

L - Colts - Final record:  12-4 (score 18-15)

W - Bills - Final record:  7-9 (score 20-10)

L - jets - Final record:  9-7 (score 34-31)

W - Dolphins - Final record:  11-5 (score 48-28)

L - Steelers - Final record: 12-4 (score 33-10)

W - Seahawks - Final record:  4-12 (score 24-21)

W - Raiders - Final record:  5-11 (score 49-26)

W - Cards - Final record:  9-7 (score 47-7)

W - Bills - Final record:  7-9 (score 13-0)

Our out of division opponents had a combined record of 69 - 91.

One fourth of our schedule was against teams that finished a combined 13-52.

We lost to every team with winning records that we played except the Cardinals, who had clinched the playoffs (including splits with fish and jets).

Even against this cake schedule, we won 5 less games than the previous year.

Not only did we miss the playoffs, but lost the division to the previously 1-15 Dolphins.

Tell me again how awesome 2008 was.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Re: The 2008 season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am quite obsessive about exposing lies. That won't change.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Well, clearly we had a soft schedule. However, we still had,to play the game. Regardless of how soft it was, cassel channelling Brady without experience was a great effort and result from cassel...resulting in a nice contract the following year. I don't doubt some of it was bb. Part was cassel playing beyond himself, our easy schedule and luck. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, clearly we had a soft schedule. However, we still had,to play the game. Regardless of how soft it was, cassel channelling Brady without experience was a great effort and result from cassel...resulting in a nice contract the following year. I don't doubt some of it was bb. Part was cassel playing beyond himself, our easy schedule and luck. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah. But recall Cassel was all dink and dunk. Got tons of yac. Cassel isn't terrible. As I said going back to then, he's a marginal NFL starter and a good backup.

I think BB did an outstanding coaching job despite the schedule. He really worked within what Cassel was able to do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

We beat the dolphins. They hada winning record. Heck they won the division. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Let's imagine a world where the 2008 team finished with a .500 record, but played the hardest schedule in the NFL.  You'd be on here telling us how BB is useless without Brady and that anyone that mentioned the strength of schedule is just "spinning" and that the record was a "fact".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Your only obsession is telling us how crappy everything is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Schedule may have been soft but the 2008 team had a better record than the 2009 team when Brady returned.  Was the 2009 schedule harder?  Maybe but like Bill Parcells said, "You are what your record says you are."  And in 2008, the Patriots were an 11-5 team.  I'd say that's solid coaching since Brady was injured 15 plays into the first game of the season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Weak schedule sure, but BB did a great job this year. 11-5 is a decent record, didn't San Diego get in with 8-8 or 9-7 record? I hope no one asserts Norv Turner is a better coach! Divisional alignment and statistical variance cost the Pats a playoff berth. The Pats were better with Cassel than the Chargers were with Rivers. Only an anomaly kept them out. Still win the division and you're in is still the mantra at Gillette.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

What does it mean? I don't know..but the Pats had the easiest schedule of all 32 teams in 08.

For me it was tough when Brady went down as that team would have had a shot at another SB.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

Gafney dropping that easy TD against the Colts still bothers me

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

In response to wmasschilly's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Gafney dropping that easy TD against the Colts still bothers me

[/QUOTE]

Asante Samuel not getting that INT in the Super Bowl against the Giants still haunts me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

+1million to the last two posts...

and while I think the schedule was reallllly easy in 2008 and the Pats really didnt beat a good team it still was a good season..

The reason the Phins and Jets went 11-5 as well was bcz they got the same easy schedule and killed it too.

Cassel was great for being chucked into that role and BB did a great job keeping it afloat.

It doesnt bother me we didnt make the playoffs that season because they werent beating anyone with Cassel at QB and the Defense aging

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think Belichick is an outstanding coach, but he has only made the playoffs once in 6 tries without Brady. I think that shows just how important a great quarterback (or not having a great quarterback), is. It's just so hard to win wihtout that great QB - those guys are difference makers - just ask the 5-6 coaches that get fired every year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We beat the dolphins. They hada winning record. Heck they won the division. 

[/QUOTE]

I noted that, though we did lose to every winning team we played (except the clinched Cards), we did split with fish and jets.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to garytx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Try to address the thread subject instead of analyzing the author.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Belichick is an outstanding coach, but he has only made the playoffs once in 6 tries without Brady. I think that shows just how important a great quarterback (or not having a great quarterback), is. It's just so hard to win wihtout that great QB - those guys are difference makers - just ask the 5-6 coaches that get fired every year.

[/QUOTE]

Actually once in 7 tries. Five in Cleveland and two with the Pats without Brady.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

With Tom Brady they go 16-0 or 15-1. As it was that team improved vastly after the Steelers game and would have made some noise in the playoffs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Their last 6 games, 4 on the road,

W - @Dolphins - Final record:  11-5 (score 48-28)
    (It's never easy to win down there.)

(Cassel stunk it up but he learned from it as he didn't fumble again down the stretch)

W - @Seahawks - Final record:  4-12 (score 24-21)
    (The Seahawks missed the playoffs for the first time in 5 years under Holmgren. They weren't a pushover at home.)

W - @Raiders - Final record:  5-11 (score 49-26)
    (2 straight west coast wins is never an easy task)

(Cards didn't show up to play but didn't they almost win the super bowl?)

W - @Bills - Final record:  7-9 (score 13-0)
    (Great win under tough conditions. 39 degrees, wind 30 mph)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Their last 6 games, 4 on the road,

W - @Dolphins - Final record:  11-5 (score 48-28)
    (It's never easy to win down there.)

(Cassel stunk it up but he learned from it as he didn't fumble again down the stretch)

W - @Seahawks - Final record:  4-12 (score 24-21)
    (The Seahawks missed the playoffs for the first time in 5 years under Holmgren. They weren't a pushover at home.)

W - @Raiders - Final record:  5-11 (score 49-26)
    (2 straight west coast wins is never an easy task)

(Cards didn't show up to play but didn't they almost win the super bowl?)

W - @Bills - Final record:  7-9 (score 13-0)
    (Great win under tough conditions. 39 degrees, wind 30 mph)

[/QUOTE]

That team had more going on for it than the current crew, sans Brady. Moss, Welker, Faulk, Light, Neal, Koppen on O and Bruschi, Harrison, Seymour, Vrabel, on D.

Subtract Brady from this current bunch and it's even worse.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually once in 7 tries. Five in Cleveland and two with the Pats without Brady.

[/QUOTE]

That's right, I forgot they gave him five years to prove himself in Cleveland and came away with one winning season. In all honesty he was close to being fired here before Brady - he wasn't going to get 5 years - after going 5-11 in his first year he was 0-2 before Brady walked out onto that field.

He may not of made it through the year the way things were heading, because at least some coaches sell the product...Belichick was a total nightmare on his weekly radio show on weei and we all got to see his post game press conferences. I can't imagine the Krafts were going to not only lose, but have Bill be the face of the franchise...not the way he acts anyway.

Good thing Brady arrived, and I will hand it to Bill...the guy is a hell of a coach, it's just that they all need the quarterback. Believe it or not some coaches would of never gave Brady that chance - they would of sat him down after Bledsoe got back.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to garytx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Try to address the thread subject instead of analyzing the author.

[/QUOTE]

I thought I did by telling the truth about your obsession.  Outside of maybe Rusty I don't know of anyone who thought that 2008 was a great season.  The Pats didn't make the playoffs so how could it be?  It was more of a surprise on how well the team did without their starting QB.  When the backup QB comes out the general rule of thumb is it's going to be a long year.  Instead of the playoff team you have an 8-8 team at best.  The schedule is meaningless when your out there with a backup QB that hasn't started since high school.  Those mediocre teams are now a problem.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let's imagine a world where the 2008 team finished with a .500 record, but played the hardest schedule in the NFL.  You'd be on here telling us how BB is useless without Brady and that anyone that mentioned the strength of schedule is just "spinning" and that the record was a "fact".

[/QUOTE]

How many times has the aging, fat and bald Babe started this thread?

He's so gay for Brady, it's become legendary.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In direct response to Babe's point, I disagree.  A team can only beat who it plays.  Pats had a winning season and missed the playoffs by a tiebreaker.  What were their chances in the playoffs?  No way of knowing.

Wouldn't it be just swell if we had some real current Pats/NFL news to discuss?

Sections
Shortcuts