The 33rd pick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from norichcrybabies. Show norichcrybabies's posts

Re: The 33rd pick

In Response to Re: The 33rd pick:
    [QUOTE]I have to say u guys are getting as off base as when we were trading Cassel.  I remember dreams of a 1st and 3rd and crap like that.  Trading Oak out of this draft is silly.  We have TB for 5 more years, maybe slightly more.  Lets get all the pieces we need to dominate that time and keep us set for the future.  Yes I see us trading one or more of our draft picks.  But it is recockulous to think 33 is worth the same as 24.  Teams will NOT offer a 2nd this year and a 1st next for that pick.  Nor for our 1st at 32.  Keep our fun draft dreams based somewhat in reality. 
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

If they wanted to, they could end up with (2) 1st's next year (+1) and (2) 3ish this year.  plus or minus some late picks.  the prolem is we don't have the room on the roster for extra guys...  I like the idea of trading up and getting (3) 1st's if the value's there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

In Response to The 33rd pick:
    [QUOTE]I want some feedback on this idea: Patriots trade the Oakland pick this year for: 2012 1st round pick 2013 2nd round pick 2014 2nd round pick
    Posted by rdf63[/QUOTE]

Not good, imo.  BB's collected enough picks, at some point he needs to use them.
    My $.02 is he ought to roll several picks together to trade-up and get 1 or 2 players who can make the team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

Expertmike

Good post....BB has waited for this trade (Oakland). Why do you think he chose this year when there was a strong possibility of getting a blue chip player (eg Mayo last time) for less money.

He has to use them sometime. Look at the youth on our defence with seven starters having TWO years or less experience! (Brace may be in the mix there). Others have three years. Unusual that two linebackers are starters and Mayo is
    still young.

Don't be surprised if he trades up. Why would we draft guys who can't be an instant impact versus guys already contributing on the team??????

This could be the year when BB makes sure Brady retires with a few more rings.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

If the pick from the Panthers ended up as 33, BB will definitely play trading with at least one of the 2 first round picks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

Imagine BB trading pick 32 for 2012 1st round and a 2011 3rd and then trading pick 33 for 2012 2nd round and 2011 2nd round .

Then flipping there 3rd round pick and the aquired 3rd round pick into a pick in low 40's.

Then trading the vikings 3rd round  pick into a 2012 2nd round pick 

2011  draft would be would be
    1 x 1st round pick
    3x 2nd round picks
    1 x 4th round pick
    2x 5th round pick - ben watson

2012 draft
    2 x 1st
    3 x 2nd

perfect !!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]Keeping tabs on Carolina draft pick December, 24, 2010 By Mike Reiss The Carolina Panthers lost 27-3 last night to the Pittsburgh Steelers, a result that has a trickle-down effect on the Patriots. The Patriots own the Panthers' 2011 second-round draft choice, so the result strengthens the likelihood that the pick will be at the top of the round, 33rd overall. The Panthers are 2-13, which is the worst record in the NFL. Their only "challengers" for the top pick are the Broncos (3-11) and Bengals (3-11). Here is a look at the remaining schedules for those three teams: Panthers: at Atlanta Broncos: vs. Houston; vs. San Diego Bengals: vs. San Diego; at Baltimore So barring an upset, the Patriots will have the 33rd overall draft pick. The original draft-day trade was a 2010 third-round pick (89th overall) in exchange for a 2011 second-rounder, so by waiting one year the team improves its position 56 spots. This looks like a steal, especially when considering the Panthers selected quarterback-turned-receiver Armanti Edwards with the 89th overall pick. Edwards has played in two games this season.
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

Actually, the only "challenger" for the 33rd pick now is Denver, as Cincinnati beat Carolina in head-to-head play.

If Denver loses to Houston (game 15) and San Diego (game 16), and Carolina beats Atlanta (game 16), Denver would claim the first pick as Carolina has a better record against common opponents. It would be nice if New Orleans beats Atlanta (game 15) this week, so that Atlanta has something to play for against Carolina.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Trade down 5-7 spots, receive teams 3rd rounder and take best available d-lineman or outside LB.I want in the WAR room come Draft day-though I'm sure I'd screw it all up and have you all hating me for years.LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishJPM11. Show IrishJPM11's posts

Kyle nailed it...assuming the Pats have the 32nd and 33 pick...pull a Minnesota...don't pick.  When the time expires on the 32nd pick you have 12 hours to work trade offers.  The only team that could screw you...well that would be the Patriots!!!  Failing to make an over night trade you make your 32nd pick 12 hours later and 33rd pick minutes later.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

[QUOTE]Imagine BB trading pick 32 for 2012 1st round and a 2011 3rd and then trading pick 33 for 2012 2nd round and 2011 2nd round . Then flipping there 3rd round pick and the aquired 3rd round pick into a pick in low 40's. Then trading the vikings 3rd round  pick into a 2012 2nd round pick  2011  draft would be would be 1 x 1st round pick 3x 2nd round picks 1 x 4th round pick 2x 5th round pick - ben watson 2012 draft 2 x 1st 3 x 2nd perfect !!
    Posted by hoyle[/QUOTE]

hoyle, that gave me a headache LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

[QUOTE]Kyle nailed it...assuming the Pats have the 32nd and 33 pick...pull a Minnesota...don't pick.  When the time expires on the 32nd pick you have 12 hours to work trade offers.  The only team that could screw you...well that would be the Patriots!!!  Failing to make an over night trade you make your 32nd pick 12 hours later and 33rd pick minutes later.
    Posted by IrishJPM11[/QUOTE]

IRISH... That is one stupendous idea and all within the rules. Great thinking.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Why risk losing a pick when they already have 33 hanging as trade bait for the next morning?  Way to much risk for little reward.  This maneuver would boarder on Matt Millen level of incompetence.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

[QUOTE]Why risk losing a pick when they already have 33 hanging as trade bait for the next morning?  Way to much risk for little reward.  This maneuver would boarder on Matt Millen level of incompetence.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Tcal.... How do they lose the pick? The 32d goes off the clock but they hold the 33d and can use the 32d immediately after. They can't be denied that pick just as Millen wasn't

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The 33rd pick : Tcal.... How do they lose the pick? The 32d goes off the clock but they hold the 33d and can use the 32d immediately after. They can't be denied that pick just as Millen wasn't
    Posted by TSWFAN[/QUOTE]

Why play with the new format?  The only thing you can accomplish is pisssing off the commissioner when there is no real advantage to be gained.  Why start the 2011 season on the sh*t list? 

Don't forget 32 comes at the end of a long session (4-5 hours).  Teams have plenty of time to work out a deal long before we get On the clock........Just my 2 cents.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishJPM11. Show IrishJPM11's posts

tcal...if you think the Pats are on the Commissioners Christmas list now, well I think you are wrong.  We're already on the so called sh*t list; not only in his office but the whole NFL.  You say teams have plenty of time to work out a trade long before we are on the clock.  So, why not add 12 hours?  How do you know what the reward would be?  And there would be zero chance of losing a pick.  Zero.  For the record this is really Kyle's idea form earlier posts.

If I had my way I would probably package picks and move up.  But as they say...In Bill I trust. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The 33rd pick : Why play with the new format?  The only thing you can accomplish is pisssing off the commissioner when there is no real advantage to be gained.  Why start the 2011 season on the sh*t list?  Don't forget 32 comes at the end of a long session (4-5 hours).  Teams have plenty of time to work out a deal long before we get On the clock........Just my 2 cents.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree that, while this maneuver looks cute and is technically entirely within the rules, I would not put it past this particular commissioner to hold a grudge if Belichick were to show him up in this manner.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Hey Roger member that draft pick and $500K?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

But you gotta know that ESPN would love it - 12 more hours of speculation. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

I  can't  get  excited  over  the  PATS  multiple  draft  picks.  BB  is  the  best  coach  in  the  NFL.  Yet  in  the  past  5  drafts, what  quality  players  have  we  chosen  besides  McCourty, Mayo  and  Hernandez ?  With  all  our  picks, our  drafts  have  been  average  at  best.  And  the  window  on  Brady  is  perhaps  3  more  years.  I  say, in  addition  to  BB's  usual  maneuvering  in  the  draft, focus  on  1  or  2  difference  makers  on  defense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

IVE BEEN SALIVATING ABOUT THE PANTHERS PICK FOR WEEKS ~
    CHEERING ON THE BILLS & BUNGALS.
    ( AND LATELY THE DE-CAPITATED BRONCOS )

That said ...
    Hate to pour cold water onto this Pats Pick #33 Parade , but there is a good chance that the Panthers might be handed an EZ victory next week when they play the Falcons ( and if they WIN and end up tied with either Den or Cinc. ... they lose their top slot )
       It all depends on this weeks MNF Saints / Falcons contest .
     If the Falcons win and clinch home field thru out playoffs , they might rest their starting squad in the season finale and the Panthers chances of getting that all important W grow exponentially .

OF COURSE IF BENGALS / BRONCOS CA SOMEHOW WIN THIS ...

IT'S A MOOT POINT.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

[QUOTE]I  can't  get  excited  over  the  PATS  multiple  draft  picks.  BB  is  the  best  coach  in  the  NFL.  Yet  in  the  past  5  drafts, what  quality  players  have  we  chosen  besides  McCourty, Mayo  and  Hernandez ?  With  all  our  picks, our  drafts  have  been  average  at  best.  And  the  window  on  Brady  is  perhaps  3  more  years.  I  say, in  addition  to  BB's  usual  maneuvering  in  the  draft, focus  on  1  or  2  difference  makers  on  defense.
    Posted by zeitgeist49[/QUOTE]

Gronkowski, Chung, Vollmer, Spikes, Cunningham, Mesko ??? 

Outside of 2006 their drafts have been very productive, including 2007 which yielded Moss and welker in trades

Brady's window is more like 5 years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishJPM11. Show IrishJPM11's posts

Hence the word...assuming (never a good thing to do).  Someone posted Cincy beat Carolina so they are out of the equation.  Your post assumes Atlanta will roll over and play dead.  Assume Carolina will roll over and play dead so they can secure that first overall pick.

By the way...I agree with p-mike and teegee...this is cute, ESPN would love it--and the rest of America would hate it.  I'm about sure we would NOT do it.  But...we could.  Assuming Carolina cooperates.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

TO HELL WITH THE COMMISH.... I'd do it just if it was best for the team and it would give me great pleasure to stick to THE COMMISH considering the "favoritism" he has shown the Pats in the past.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]Absolutely, in many ways better than the pick from Oakland.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]
    BB has a track record of bargaining downward with first round picks, getting much closer to who and what he really wants.  The Oakland trade will still turn a bigger net profit than the Carolina trade, even if the Oakland trade isn't quite as profitable as I hoped earlier.  Congrats to Oakland for actually winning some games, which is a big step up for them.

If BB trades pick #33 off for a second rounder next year and a late second round pick this year, I won't mind.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]I  can't  get  excited  over  the  PATS  multiple  draft  picks.  BB  is  the  best  coach  in  the  NFL.  Yet  in  the  past  5  drafts, what  quality  players  have  we  chosen  besides  McCourty, Mayo  and  Hernandez ?  With  all  our  picks, our  drafts  have  been  average  at  best.  And  the  window  on  Brady  is  perhaps  3  more  years.  I  say, in  addition  to  BB's  usual  maneuvering  in  the  draft, focus  on  1  or  2  difference  makers  on  defense.
    Posted by zeitgeist49[/QUOTE]

Please tell us a team that has done better......(don't forget the trades of draft picks that were made to acquire players and moving up in the draft in future years)