The Advantages of Losing this Week

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

The Advantages of Losing this Week

Sure it's great to win every game.  But sometimes you get a more favorable outcome down the road if you don't.  Anyone remember the Colts "Suck for Luck" campaign?

I'm not suggesting the Pats outright tank the game.  That's beneath them.

But, I do think there are distinct advantages that come from a loss this week.

1) A Ravens win gets them 1 step closer to a playoff spot.   They have CIN in week 17.   Wins in weeks 16-17 guarantee the Ravens their division.   I want the Ravens to be playing the Broncos in Denver.   That will likely happen if they are either the 4th seed (and win the wild-card game) or the 6th seed (and win the wild-card game).  The Ravens are the most difficult AFC matchup for the Broncos IMO.   If they beat the Broncos in Denver we may yet again see the AFCCG in Foxboro.

2) The Pats could rest some of their key players and those that are b@nged up this week and bring them back for the Buffalo home game.  A win in week 17 guarantees the division and I think would still get them the #2 seed.  I expect CIN to lose again to Balt in Week 17 and the Colts to lose to KC this week.  Also, we always seem to come out of the Ravens game with injuries because it's a hard-hitting defense.  Bottom line:  If the Pats can't beat a sorry Buffalo team at home in week 17 they have no business in the playoffs anyway.

What's to be gained by winning this week?   Sure, the Pats would be closer to locking up #2.  I think that will happen anyway (see #2 above). 

Would it give them more confidence in the playoffs?  Maybe.  But like the Giants game at the end of the season in '07 sometimes it's better that you don't "show too much" to an opponent you may well see again in a few weeks.   I think the Ravens will get to the playoffs with a loss this week anyway.

Anyway, I know it will never happen, but if I were in charge I'd seriously consider limiting the playing time of all key personnel.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: The Advantages of Losing this Week

Interesting take, but, taking away all control from the Pats.  Besides, the team will never accept a loss at this stage of the season.

You think, even if the Pats do not win Sunday, the Bills will come into Foxboro and simply lay down for the Pats?  They'd LOVE to be the spoiler to the Pats playoff plans.

Pats win this Sunday, then we can think about next.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

There are zero advantages to losing anytime...take responsibility for your own outcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

sit players and lose the game on purpose and assume you will come back and kick Bufallos butt?!  Ummm, No that aint gonna happen. We had our chance to get # 1 seed and squandered it. Noone to blame but us and we need to bounce back and win as many games as possible and play whoever is there. Unless you want to miss the playoffs al together to spare you from further disspointment I dont get the logic. We just lost to miami and you want to lose again to a conference foe on purpose JUST to get Denver out the way? Then what if we lose to Buffalo? how does your plan look then?  Didnt we already prove we can beat Denver?

I dont know man, you just gotta play your hand. This is the NFL, you try to win Every game

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Interesting take, but, taking away all control from the Pats.  Besides, the team will never accept a loss at this stage of the season.

You think, even if the Pats do not win Sunday, the Bills will come into Foxboro and simply lay down for the Pats?  They'd LOVE to be the spoiler to the Pats playoff plans.

Not ALL control really.  If the Pats win next week they win the division, even if they lose this week.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

sit players and lose the game on purpose and assume you will come back and kick Bufallos butt?!  Ummm, No that aint gonna happen. We had our chance to get # 1 seed and squandered it. Noone to blame but us and we need to bounce back and win as many games as possible and play whoever is there. Unless you want to miss the playoffs al together to spare you from further disspointment I dont get the logic. We just lost to miami and you want to lose again to a conference foe on purpose JUST to get Denver out the way? Then what if we lose to Buffalo? how does your plan look then?  Didnt we already prove we can beat Denver?

I dont know man, you just gotta play your hand. This is the NFL, you try to win Every game

I hear you, but like I said in the first post, if you lose to Buffalo at home you have ZERO business being in the playoffs.  No excuses.

Let me use my Alan Iverson voice here ... "Buffalo ... you talkin' Buffalo???"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Sure it's great to win every game.  But sometimes you get a more favorable outcome down the road if you don't.  Anyone remember the Colts "Suck for Luck" campaign?

I'm not suggesting the Pats outright tank the game.  That's beneath them.

But, I do think there are distinct advantages that come from a loss this week.

1) A Ravens win gets them 1 step closer to a playoff spot.   They have CIN in week 17.   Wins in weeks 16-17 guarantee the Ravens their division.   I want the Ravens to be playing the Broncos in Denver.   That will likely happen if they are either the 4th seed (and win the wild-card game) or the 6th seed (and win the wild-card game).  The Ravens are the most difficult AFC matchup for the Broncos IMO.   If they beat the Broncos in Denver we may yet again see the AFCCG in Foxboro.

2) The Pats could rest some of their key players and those that are b@nged up this week and bring them back for the Buffalo home game.  A win in week 17 guarantees the division and I think would still get them the #2 seed.  I expect CIN to lose again to Balt in Week 17 and the Colts to lose to KC this week.  Also, we always seem to come out of the Ravens game with injuries because it's a hard-hitting defense.  Bottom line:  If the Pats can't beat a sorry Buffalo team at home in week 17 they have no business in the playoffs anyway.

What's to be gained by winning this week?   Sure, the Pats would be closer to locking up #2.  I think that will happen anyway (see #2 above). 

Would it give them more confidence in the playoffs?  Maybe.  But like the Giants game at the end of the season in '07 sometimes it's better that you don't "show too much" to an opponent you may well see again in a few weeks.   I think the Ravens will get to the playoffs with a loss this week anyway.

Anyway, I know it will never happen, but if I were in charge I'd seriously consider limiting the playing time of all key personnel.

I hoped for the Ravens to beat the Broncos last year so that the AFC championship game would be played in Foxboro.  That part worked out.  The rest was not what I hoped for.  

Much better to see Peyton cough up a hair ball in a big game in Denver than having Baltimore safeties trying to injure Pat's players with cheap shots.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Not ALL control really.  If the Pats win next week they win the division, even if they lose this week.

Better to win the next two games and know you've done what you can and let the rest of the cards fall where they may.  Winning ONE game and hoping all else falls into place is not the greatest sense of control.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

There are zero advantages to losing anytime...take responsibility for your own outcome.

As much as we want to find advantages to everything, nothing is more important than taking responsibility for our own outcome. Imperfection and losing are just hard to accept and we are trying to soften the blow by looking for advantages. We didn't play well enough, we lost, that is it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to NYC's comment:

As much as we want to find advantages to everything, nothing is more important than taking responsibility for our own outcome. Imperfection and losing are just hard to accept and we are trying to soften the blow by looking for advantages. We didn't play well enough, we lost, that is it.

^ this

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to NYC's comment:

I respectfully disagree.   This is not about what happened in the Phins game, or the other 3 losses for that matter.  Every one of those losses stung the same to me.

It's about assessing the situation as it stands today.  You adapt and strategize based on every bit of information you have at your disposal.   Many a general has lost a battle, gathered valuable intel, and won the war.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Be careful what you wish for.  Good thing that Miami, Indy, Denver and Cincy all will be playing 1pm games while Pats is playing at 4pm.  So that way Pats can know where they will be by the time the 4 pm game start.

If Miami loses, the Pats know they will clinch the divisional title.   Then if we see Cincy and Indy loses, then the Pats know they could try to beat the Ravens to clinch one of the two homefield byes.  If Denver loses, then the Pats know they could have a good chance to get the #1 over-rall homefield bye.  But what if the Ravens get the #6 seed regardless if both Miami and Ravens go 1-1 for their last two games of the season, and the Ravens could play against #1 bye team if the Ravens win the first round playoff game.

There is alot of scenarios that we got to look such as we wish for or go against it.

Sections
Shortcuts