The "non-union" union bullying prospects to boycott the draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: The "non-union" union bullying prospects to boycott the draft

In Response to Re: The "non-union" union bullying prospects to boycott the draft:
    [QUOTE]Especially after making it known that they were perfectly willing to cede the owners a rookie wage scale so that there would be more money available to the guys already in what used to (and will soon again) be the union. Simply priceless.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Ironic, no?  The union is using the rookie wage scale as a sacrificial lamb concession when in all probability it means more money for the vets, who are already part of the union. 

Not saying the current rookie pay scale should stay, it needs to change, but if I'm about to be a 1st round pick I wouldn't let the union ruin the draft experience for me, especially since they're selling me down the river. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

In Response to Re: The "non-union" union bullying prospects to boycott the draft:
    [QUOTE]I had no idea Mike Golic was in the Sopranos.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

LOL

Bobby Bacala looks a lot like Chris Christie from Jersey too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Yup.  He sure does. 

Basically, that's every chubby Mediterranean-descent (male) look.

The Mike Golic/Gov. Christie/Bacala look. heh

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

Its  not the union its the players making this hard as some are saying here union are bad .All the union does is go back and forth with oppions and when  the owners have a offer the union goes too the players and they vote if they want to take that offer!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

This is not going to net the NFLPA any goodwill whatsoever. The whole point of the draft is to give some kid who has chosen to make his life about football his one shining moment of glory. I don't think Demaurice Smith is a failing, but I do think he is grandstanding; which is pretty much what lawyers do when given the spotlight.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

All the union does is go back and forth with oppions and when  the owners have a offer the union goes too the players and they vote if they want to take that offer!

Agreed thats how it typically works, but I have not heard of one player vote being taken. The Union leader may have power of atty? Or they just said no its not good enough to bring to a vote. Gray area to add to the list.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

"The NFL wants the players to make less than they did in 2009. How is that fair?" - D. Smith

Apparently, attorney Smith makes MORE now than he did in 2009, even though 80-90% of the world makes less.

Smith lives in a fantasyland.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Mr. Smith is a bit naive when it comes to drumming up sympathy.  The US has soldiers putting their lives on the line every day making $20,000 a year fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.  The unemployment rate is 8.9%.  Should we really care that an able bodied NFL player is going to have to live a toned down lifestyle or get a temporary 9-to-5 because union leadership is taking a hard lined stand? 

Get some perspective and tone down the rhetoric. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]This is not going to net the NFLPA any goodwill whatsoever. The whole point of the draft is to give some kid who has chosen to make his life about football his one shining moment of glory. I don't think Demaurice Smith is a failing, but I do think he is grandstanding; which is pretty much what lawyers do when given the spotlight.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

That's one way of reading it. Another is the whole point of the draft is to make sure the player only negotiates with one team rather than getting to bargain with multiple teams and seek the best deal for himself. In other words, the draft is a way of price fixing. 

That's what the players are claiming. You may have noted that at least one college player has affixed his name to the suit. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

well its not fixed thats why there is a draft order  worst team picks first so on and dont say the draftee doesnt have a say we seen them say before i will not play for that team and got traded before  you ask here are 2 players that did just this john elway and eli manning.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]                    well its not fixed thats why there is a draft order  worst team picks first so on and dont say the draftee doesnt have a say we seen them say before i will not play for that team and got traded before  you ask here are 2 players that did just this john elway and eli manning.
    Posted by lippa[/QUOTE]

We're you drafted when you got out of college by your employer? Unless you are of a certain age and your employer was the US Army, I doubt it.

Drafts are a restriction on free enterprise. It's legal (and maybe even beneficial) if done as part of a negotiated collective bargaining agreement.  But without a mutually agreed upon CBA, it just becomes an illegal restraint of trade.  Maybe the courts will find some exception for sports teams, but certainly a draft in just about any other industry would be an anti-trust violation.

By the way, for all the talk about who the judge is, the players have asked for a jury trial.  I doubt it will ever get that far, but if the case does go to trial, it will be a jury, not the judge, making the decision . . .

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

2 players that did just this john elway and eli manning

No, John Elway and Eli Manning's dad.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The "non-union" union bullying prospects to boycott the draft : We're you drafted when you got out of college by your employer? Unless you are of a certain age and your employer was the US Army, I doubt it. Drafts are a restriction on free enterprise. It's legal (and maybe even beneficial) if done as part of a negotiated collective bargaining agreement.  But without a mutually agreed upon CBA, it just becomes an illegal restraint of trade.  Maybe the courts will find some exception for sports teams, but certainly a draft in just about any other industry would be an anti-trust violation. By the way, for all the talk about who the judge is, the players have asked for a jury trial.  I doubt it will ever get that far, but if the case does go to trial, it will be a jury, not the judge, making the decision . . .
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

You make it seem like these kids, becoming millionaires to play a game, are being punished while being "drafted".

Please, dude.

A draft is "price fixing"? Good grief. You do come up with some doozies.

No. Many factors contribute to a price for a player out of college. Need, competition, your agent's ability to sell your skill set correctly, etc.

For example, the first player at a position will be paid the most. That players and the team sets the market for that draftee.

Jamarcus Russell and Mark Sanchez, for example, are completely overpaid. One is out of foobtall, the other is mediocre and is paid almos the same as Tom Brady.

Explain that one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The "non-union" union bullying prospects to boycott the draft : You make it seem like these kids, becoming millionaires to play a game, are being punished while being "drafted". Please, dude. A draft is "price fixing"? Good grief. You do come up with some doozies. No. Many factors contribute to a price for a player out of college. Need, competition, your agent's ability to sell your skill set correctly, etc. For example, the first player at a position will be paid the most. That players and the team sets the market for that draftee. Jamarcus Russell and Mark Sanchez, for example, are completely overpaid. One is out of foobtall, the other is mediocre and is paid almos the same as Tom Brady. Explain that one.

You don't think a drafted player can command a higher salary if two or more teams are allowed to bid for him?  Why don't you go read a book about the history of the AFL and how it came to be merged with the NFL.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The "non-union" union bullying prospects to boycott the draft : You make it seem like these kids, becoming millionaires to play a game, are being punished while being "drafted". Please, dude. A draft is "price fixing"? Good grief. You do come up with some doozies. 

Well that's what the lawsuit is claiming.   Here's what the players' complaint says:

126. The imposition of the Draft with "Entering Player Pool" is an anticompetitive, horizontal agreement between competing NFL teams, which allocates the right to negotiate with and sign rookie professional football players and fixes their wages. The Draft with "Entering Player Pool" is per se unlawful.

127. This anticompetitive set of restrictions also constitutes an unreasonable restraint of trade under the rule of reason. The NFL Defendants have market power in the relevant United States market for the services of major league professional football players. The restrictions imposed by the NFL Defendants completely eliminate and prevent any competition for the services of rookie NFL players and are not necessary to achieve any pro-competitive objective. Indeed, a less restrictive draft system, which did not contain an "Entering Player Pool" price-fixing restraint, was previously held to be an antitrust violation and that finding is binding on the NFL. See Smith v. Pro-Football, Inc. 420 F. Supp. 738 (D.D.C. 1976).

128. Plaintiff Von Miller and members of the Rookie Subclass have suffered and will suffer antitrust injury to their business or property by reason of the continuation of the Draft with "Entering Player Pool," or any similar restrictions which will deprive them of the ability to offer their services as professional football players in a free and open market.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

That's the most ridiculous lawsuit of all time (in sports).

Plaintiff, Von Miller?  Umm, wow.

Why anyone would draft Von Miller now is beyond me.

I would expect the judge to toss this right out of the court room.

So, Tom Brady makes 20 million based on his merit, yet, a rookie cap technically held his value down/misrepresented his value based on his competition's "merit" as an unproven rookie (i.e. Jamarcus Russell).

The union might want to get its logic straight.

The reason why Von Miller will lose and this premise is flawed is because they aren't a commodity in the NFL yet.

FAIL

There is free agency and the player's production which dictates the market, along with demand, etc.

It's the equivalent of coming out of college, telling the company you are interveiwing with their salary range on the position is "illegal" and "price fixing", so you are suing them.

What planet is the union on here?

They'll never win. It's delusional.

Price fixing is more about being a monopoly and misrepresenting price by not honoring market value.

Market value is determined by competition.  

How do you propose players enter the NFL?

Prior to the 1961 draft, the Montreal Canadiens had first dibs on every player within the province of Quebec.  Do you really think that is fair?

Without an entry draft, all it really does it create crap like that.

It would be a disaster with teams scrambling to get laws on the books like that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]That's the most ridiculous lawsuit of all time (in sports). Plaintiff, Von Miller?  Umm, wow. Why anyone would draft Von Miller now is beyond me. I would expect the judge to toss this right out of the court room. So, Tom Brady makes 20 million based on his merit, yet, a rookie cap technically held his value down/misrepresented his value based on his competition's "merit" as an unproven rookie (i.e. Jamarcus Russell). The union might want to get its logic straight. The reason why Von Miller will lose and this premise is flawed is because they aren't a commodity in the NFL yet. FAIL There is free agency and the player's production which dictates the market, along with demand, etc. It's the equivalent of coming out of college, telling the company you are interveiwing with their salary range on the position is "illegal" and "price fixing", so you are suing them. What planet is the union on here? They'll never win. It's delusional. Price fixing is more about being a monopoly and misrepresenting price by not honoring market value. Market value is determined by competition.   How do you propose players enter the NFL? Prior to the 1961 draft, the Montreal Canadiens had first dibs on every player within the province of Quebec.  Do you really think that is fair? Without an entry draft, all it really does it create crap like that. It would be a disaster with teams scrambling to get laws on the books like that.

The union is not being delusional at all.  You evidently don't know anything about anti trust law.  The NFL draft is a bald restraint of trade, legal only because the players' union agrees to it.  If a graduate of a business school was only allowed to negotiate with one company for a job upon graduation, do you think that would be legal? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

Owners just need to make the draft resemble the regular draft.  Id get players 21-41 and it wont really seem like that much of a drop off.  Guys like Carimi and wilkerson would still be pretty cool.

Not like it matters to much though because I dont think anyones boycotting the draft.  Patrick peterson came out and said he wants to attend.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Yeah All that free scholarship stuff is terrible for athletes. Don`t like it try getting a scholarship to Harvard, Yale or MIT without being born with a silver spoon. Then you get to have various high profile companies bid for your services (Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley Blackstone etc....) The draft is designed for the benefit of lowly franchises trying to improve their teams. After the player proves he can excel at the NFL level then he gets a big contract. Like any other sport,football is an elite. Everyone that ever picked up a football thinks they can throw a ball 50 yards on frozen rope to an open receiver who`s running a 4.4 40. Believe me it`s not that easy. It`s an elite and you get paid more by being better than everyone else at your job (just like real life, only its entertaiment).