The art of Undrafted Free Agents

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Last year and in many years past we have made it a habbit of picking up very solid undrafted free agents. Last year it was Guyton and Redd and in years past we have seen R. Gay as a undrafted FA who got some real big playing time. We have made an art out of finding undrafted free agents so who do you think the Pats will pick up off the street this year?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

It's not just recognizing guys with potential but also identifying particular strengths and coaching them up to perform specific roles within the system. Belichick and his staff create puzzle pieces that fit better than any other team in the league.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulegill333. Show paulegill333's posts

I find this an interesting lead Post - Ok I admit it, I'm a garage sale junky. I performed a 'google' and came up with the following. True these are only 22 of thousands Of UFA but none the less still interesting to find diamonds in the rough such as these. Most have been Pro Bowl selections

Obviously the better scouting systems yield the best results.

Undrafted free agents
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undrafted_free_agent

Tony Romo, QB, Dallas Cowboys, 2003 Eastern Illinois
    Antonio Gates, TE, San Diego Chargers, 2003 Kent State
    Willie Parker, RB, Pittsburgh Steelers, 2004 North Carolina
    James Harrison, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers, 2002
    Kurt Warner 1994 Northern Iowa
    Adam Vinatieri 1995 NE Patriots South Dakota State
    Rod Smith 1994 Missouri Southern State University
    Wayne Chrebet 1995 Hofstra
    Jake Delhomme 1997 Louisiana-Lafayette
    Priest Holmes 1997 Texas
    Bart Scott – NY Jets Southern Illinois
    Wes Welker - Miami, Texas Tech.
    Rod Smith – Denver, Missouri Southern State University;

There are others that deserve a mention: Brian Waters 2000 Kansas City Chiefs,
    Joshua Cribbs 2005 Cleveland Browns, Jason Peters 2004 Buffalo Bills and
    Ben Utecht 2004 Indianapolis Colts.Mike Vanderjagt, Pat Williams Buffalo
    Mack Strong Seattle. Robbie Gould - A placekicker for the Chicago Bears.
    John Randle – Minnesota Vikings, went undrafted in 1990 from Texas A&M-Kingsville.

Hmmmm..just wondering if the Pata had not taken Tom Brady?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

Bizarre isn't it.. we all talk of having too many draft picks and wonder how we're going to pay them... and now we're projecting a whole bunch of post-draft picks. doubt we'll have space or money for any of them---maybe one will make the team, unless of course we trade away many of our draft picks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

MVP I love looking at mock drafts and trying to guess who the Pats are taking and since I live in Atlanta I also look at their mocks. I really had never thought of trying to look at guys who might be there after the draft is over and I have to say I'm enjoying looking at some of the guys that are probably going to left.

I fould this guy who reminds me of Dunn, Marcus Thigpen. He's not a power back but has very good speed, I can see him taking over Faulk on punt returns or coming out of the back field in some screens.

I know we have good depth at RB but he could be a good special teams and situational player. I also think he will be drafted 6th or 7th round, too much speed for a team not to give him a chance.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

cappy do you really think we wont pick up any undrafted free agents? we pick a few up every year to at least compete in training camp but this year you think we will just stop doing what we have always done? This is how we build the practice squad.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Well you got to think if we picked that RB up he would be a practice squad player at first so he would have time to grow and if he did develop by the time he did guys like Taylor will be retired so we might be stacked at the RB spot right now but who knows maybe if we pick him up and keep on the PS in a few years or in a injury situation he might get some time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Dre' Mail Hardin is projected in the 7th round but could fall out of the draft, if he does he might someone BB brings in.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

m

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I have no clue who might be a sleeper in the Undrafted FA market. But one thing is for sure, Guyton is looking to be a major pickup! I think BB has big plans for this kid.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I don't have the exact stats, but look around the league and some of the best players at each position and you will find guys at the top of the list that are either 6 or 7 rounders or UFAs. Guys sometimes get overlooked but BB sees something and usually does better with 3rd round to 7th and ufa than we've done with some of the 1st round picks.

There will be a few guys that get signed and when we have injuries they'll get called up fill in and do a good enough job to keep us in a game. Glad BB sees the value on these guys.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

I have no idea who they might pick up (it's not even worth speculating, really), but I do have to say that the Patriots have quite the track record when it comes to undrafted rookies. Few in the league, if any, can match the Patriots.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulK3. Show PaulK3's posts

Just above UFA is the bottom of the seventh round. That's where Matt Cassel came from. Above that is the sixth round, a real waste of prediction energy for many teams, except that's where Tom Brady came from.

One more UFA, but we know absolutely nothing about him: QB Matt Gutierrez.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

If I could predict the future I wouldn’t be wasting that talent on who might be available after the draft. Instead I would be buying lotto tickets from every State in the Union and Canada.

And yes BB is great a finding those Diamonds in the ruff that help to fill the roster and Practice squad with very serviceable pieces.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

isnt Jason Peters from the Bills a former first round pick?

Also you forgot to mention that Jeff Saturday was an undrafted free agent as well.

No one does it like the Pats and I am excited to see what kind of guys we sneak past the other teams as soon as the draft ends.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from eric1972. Show eric1972's posts

Troy Brown was an 8th round pick which means he would have dropped to UFA in current system.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

There are always fringe players in teh draft, people who might not get drafted and the Pats are always able to get there hands on the best of teh crop year in and year out and I just want to know if any of you guys have any guys that you think might not get drafted and if you think they would fit in the Pats scheme. For one example there is this Ohio State WR i cant remember his name but he played in the shadow of Ted Ginn JR and then Brien Robiski and he is someone that could slip through the cracks and if he did he would be a great signing.

Sections
Shortcuts