The Back-up QB Plan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

The Back-up QB Plan

sources are saying the pats are exploreing QB,s for the back-up role.are there any good ones out there?

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Biggs-Patriots-could-be-in-the-market-for-a-backup-QB.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paulawht63. Show Paulawht63's posts

Re: the back-up plan

Both Pats back up Q.B stink Patriots need to find a Q.B that they can believe in
    Cause the ones there now are BAD
    PATRIOTS GET A BACK UP Q.B a real one not like the idiots there now

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

At this point theres not many options for a backup, maybe things will be different once teams settle on their qbs, but it will be hard to find a decent back-up i think.
    One question though, where are all the people that wanted to take Cassel out in favor of O'Connel last year? To date he has been very unimpressive.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ehop14. Show Ehop14's posts

Tyler Thigpen from KC!! He's pretty good and they owe us one after the Cassel/Vrabel trade. Or Luke McCown from Tampa? He's probably on his way out now that Leftwich is the starter. Or whoever Minnesota dumps? Unless it's JDB. I've never liked him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

In Response to Re: the back-up plan:
    Tyler Thigpen from KC!! He's pretty good and they owe us one after the Cassel/Vrabel trade. Or Luke McCown from Tampa? He's probably on his way out now that Leftwich is the starter. Or whoever Minnesota dumps? Unless it's JDB. I've never liked him.
    Posted by Ehop14
    Noone except the Pats coaching staff can give Walter a fair evaluation at this time.
    Even experienced fans have not seen enough of him to tell one way or another.
    In practice the coaches get to see how well a qb graspr the offensive scheme. We don't get this piece of the puzzle. Because of this they kept Cassel last year.
    What is wrong with Brian Hoyer. He moved the team down field?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Both Pats back up Q.B stink Patriots need to find a Q.B that they can believe in Cause the ones there now are BAD PATRIOTS GET A BACK UP Q.B a real one not like the idiots there now

Deja Vu! I seem to remember hearing much the same thing last August! If none of the QBs on the roster is capable, I'm sure Bill will look at other options.

Tyler Thigpen from KC!! He's pretty good and they owe us one after the Cassel/Vrabel trade.

He'd certainly be one of my first considerations. He did pretty well for the Chiefs last season. Their biggest problem was on defense. They couldn't stop anyone, especially in the 4th quarter. Eight of their losses were by a TD or less. With a decent team around him Thigpen could possibly do what Cassel did in 08.

Noone except the Pats coaching staff can give Walter a fair evaluation at this time. Even experienced fans have not seen enough of him to tell one way or another.

Very true. Walter has a good arm, and is supposedly pretty accurate. The fact that he played in Oakland hurt people's perception of him. Given time to throw he could well be a decent backup. The staff will be able to see how well he absorbs the playbook, and reads a defense. Remember, most fans and pundits were claiming Randy Moss was "washed up" after a couple years with the Raiders. So you never know!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to the back-up plan:
    sources are saying the pats are exploreing QB,s for the back-up role.are there any good ones out there? http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Biggs-Patriots-could-be-in-the-market-for-a-backup-QB.html
    Posted by mosseffect43

My backup plan is college basketball. If tommy goes down, our season is over.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

They should be calling the Eagles about A.J Feely!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

They should be calling the Eagles about A.J Feely!

Why? We already have a janitor.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to the back-up plan:
    sources are saying the pats are exploreing QB,s for the back-up role.are there any good ones out there? http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Biggs-Patriots-could-be-in-the-market-for-a-backup-QB.html
    Posted by mosseffect43

I said the same thing last year. Cant always figure out what the coaching staff does, but I still believe with the offensive fire power we have, that if we had a proven veteran QB then we probably make the playoffs last year. Remember Cassel had a good 6 week struggle period to get adjusted to game speed plus we had to dink and dunk at first to get him acclimated. With a vet maybe we wouldnt of had to change the game plan so much in early weeks. I gotta say the same thing this year especially with Cassel gone( who at least was in the system for a few years)

I would take Sage/ Thigpen/ Feely. Hell bring back Flutie! Any of these on the bubble starters who have good game experience would have to see there confidence and play on the field jump significantly when they have Moss Welker and co.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Last year I was hoping Gutz would get the backup role, not O'Connell.  I thought Gutz looked decent enough last year in the preseason.  He's not doing too bad with the Chiefs now, considering how recently he joined the team.  In fact, I read one article that said Thigpen's stock is falling because Gutz's stock is rising.  I tend to believe some other factor was involved last year.  Could be his attitude, work ethic, who knows.  I didn't say Gutz is great, but he looks better than what we have.

Everyone, to include myself, has used the "remember last year" card.  We should all realize however, that while there have been a lot of backup QB success stories in NFL history, they pale in comparison to the number of backup QB's that don't do so well.  Let's not count on striking gold twice.  That said, prior to last year, Brady was an ironman.  I'm not thinking he won't continue that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Tyler Thigpen would be an awesome pickup for the Pats!  Trade O'Connell to Denver for a 3rd rd pick.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Depending on the MRI on Cassel, Thigpen may be the Chief's starter....and he looked WORSE than what the Pat's currently have as back-ups, after Cassel went out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Damon Huard will be let go from the niners and will sign with the Pats. Knows the system and has good relationship with brady.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Damon Huard is probably the best guess if BB were to go out and he was available. Even at 36, he at least has some reps as a Patriot.

The others - 

Rosenfels?! Seriously. Signing him is the sign that you've just given up the season. He is the NFL version of George Costanza's sweatpants.

Thigpen might be OK, but I have serious doubts about getting the Herm Edwards out of him. And Herm-iation has a half-life of about 2-3 years.

Feeley? He couldn't backup Rosenfels. Or maybe it's the other way around. Who cares. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

what really has me thinking,after the first news came out this morning,and now the release of o-connell,im wondering just how sore is brady?im hopeing not much,but the staff wont really let us know until they have to.maybe from last years injury to brady and the one this past friday,they dont want to take any chances.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

what really has me thinking,after the first news came out this morning,and now the release of o-connell,im wondering just how sore is brady?im hopeing not much,but the staff wont really let us know until they have to.maybe from last years injury to brady and the one this past friday,they dont want to take any chances.
    Posted by mosseffect43
    what would get me is,if the cheifs sign him,they will have all the pats back-ups.to funny.and if the cheifs were intreasted in o-connell,and the pats thigpin,they could have just traded them to each other.or maybe cassel is more hurt then showing,and the pats brass are doing pioli a favor,who knows.I guess we will in time.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/30/pats-dump-kevin-oconnell/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

In Response to Re: the back-up plan : what would get me is,if the cheifs sign him,they will have all the pats back-ups.to funny.and if the cheifs were intreasted in o-connell,and the pats thigpin,they could have just traded them to each other.or maybe cassel is more hurt then showing,and the pats brass are doing pioli a favor,who knows.I guess we will in time. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/30/pats-dump-kevin-oconnell/
    Posted by mosseffect43

Mosseffect43 - you are right - all of the Patriots backups - too funny. I doubt BB made a mistake on Gutz or O'Connell - BB has shown a lot of patience (remember Watson and Maroney that everyone is always whining about?) with his players for the first few years. O'Connell must have missed or not even looked at his second or third options in the preseason game. Not sure how you get cut from a preseason game in your second year of a third round pick - but it happened. I am guessing that O'Connell could not do his progression and in the game still could not do the progression. After two years I guess the Pats want to see  a little progress. What else could it be?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

I agree something is weird.is brady really ok?are the pats not takeing any chance,s on the QB,s they have,and bringing in a better option?.are they doing pioli a favor?these are good points.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I agree something is weird.is brady really ok?are the pats not takeing any chance,s on the QB,s they have,and bringing in a better option?.are they doing pioli a favor?these are good points.
    Posted by Vladtheimpaler1

It tells me that Brady is probably fine if your gonna cut the next longest tenured Qb on the team.

There has to be a character issue with Oconnel. You dont cut a guy in week 3 of pre if he su cks. You try and dangle him in front of a team like KC or somebody. Maybe he thought he was better then he is and asked for release or pulled a sh it fit. Doesn't matter now. I remember a few long balls Walter threw to Moss in Oak maybe thats the plan. GULP!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

We may see them go with just 2 QBs ...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

or that they are just not takeing any chances.who knows.but i like the possibility of huard,he does know the system.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Trenches/entry/view/32168/Patriots _Release_Backup_QB_O'Connell/32168

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

We may see them go with just 2 QBs ...
    Posted by KyleCleric2
    or maybe this guy.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/08/30/pats-considering-adding-a-veteran-backup-qb/

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

or that they are just not takeing any chances.who knows.
    Posted by mosseffect43

Its a little scary that all of a sudden we are looking for veteran Qbs who have starting experience. Maybe we cut Kevin because of some bad news on Bradys shoulder. Im confused. This blows!

Sections
Shortcuts