The benefit of video taping the defensive signals

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The benefit of video taping the defensive signals

I hate to bring it up but I'm curious about the benefit of video taping the signals for the defensive plays.  I assume that there is a benefit to it otherwise they wouldn't have done it, but I'm trying to understand how it was used.

It's not like the Pats Offensive Coordinator can wait until he sees the Defensive signals being sent before calling the play.  It's not like the QB can watch the defensive plays being called into the game.  And since there was a camera in plain sight pointed at the guy sending in signals, they surely would have changed the signals for the next game.

So what was the benefit of videoing the signals? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwiegmann24. Show cwiegmann24's posts

Re: The benefit of video taping the defensive signals

My opinion would be that taping them isn't the primary goal, it's to let the other team know that you're taping their signals. Next time you play them, they have to spend more time changing signals. Maybe their players mix up what is actually being called, maybe the team doesn't get to emphasize some part of the gameplan because their spending time learning new signals. There could be a lot of benefits of trying to decipher how a team signals. It's like baseball. They steal signals all the time and use it to their advantage. They've been doing it for decades.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: The benefit of video taping the defensive signals

In Response to Re: The benefit of video taping the defensive signals:
    Why on Earth are we talking about this.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Because no one has ever clearly stated the benefit of the video taping the signals.  People made a huge deal about this - the Pat's reputation took a huge hit.  I'd like to know the video taping gave them an edge. 

I don't see the clear benefit from video taping the defensive signals.  I'm just trying to understand what all the noise is about.

5. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts