The big and expected news in FA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

The big and expected news in FA

So Day 1 pretty much in the books and the news is:

1. The Pats did not spend 13M/yr on a WR

2. Did not spend 8M/yr on Guard

3. Did not spend 8M on a OLB

As night turns to morning we will have more numbers for what the Pats didn't sign. Personally there wasn't much that got done and certainly not at the numbers that I was interested in.

Will be curious about the Toler deal in terms of #s. I thought he was quite attractive, but him signing day one sounds like he was overpaid.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: The big and expected news in FA

Well here's the thing -we've been hearing about salary cap hell for four years now...how every team was going to be in trouble and it was going to leave us all alone to just gobble up all these world class free agents, at discount prices. Today it sure didn't look like that. We have been hearing (a bit too much) about fiscal resposibility, "value", the Patriot way and yet we sat there for two seasons with 7 million not spent on under the cap (and not spent on players we could of used) during seasons with a QB that is in his prime.

Last season we had 29 million to spend in free agency and came away with...Robert Gallery, Gaffney, Addai, Stallworth, Steven Gregory, Jonathan Fennene, Lloyd, Gonzalez, Fells, and Shonacce. Some would argue that even Lloyd didn't do as advertised...as for the rest? No one would argue that was a good way to patiently wait and spend that precious 29 million in cap space.

So the sky is not falling - Brady is still here - it's the first day, but you can understand that free agency began...teams still went out and spent...and we didn't. Yet. Is this free agency class going to look like last year's? God I hope not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Is every thread going to end up being about "salary cap hell"?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Well yeah, basically. The Mayan calender thing didn't pan out and although it appears "salary cap hell" is headed in that very same direction, I'm sure it will linger until Brady retires.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Well here's the thing -we've been hearing about salary cap hell for four years now...how every team was going to be in trouble and it was going to leave us all alone to just gobble up all these world class free agents, at discount prices. Today it sure didn't look like that. We have been hearing (a bit too much) about fiscal resposibility, "value", the Patriot way and yet we sat there for two seasons with 7 million not spent on under the cap (and not spent on players we could of used) during seasons with a QB that is in his prime.

Last season we had 29 million to spend in free agency and came away with...Robert Gallery, Gaffney, Addai, Stallworth, Steven Gregory, Jonathan Fennene, Lloyd, Gonzalez, Fells, and Shonacce. Some would argue that even Lloyd didn't do as advertised...as for the rest? No one would argue that was a good way to patiently wait and spend that precious 29 million in cap space.

So the sky is not falling - Brady is still here - it's the first day, but you can understand that free agency began...teams still went out and spent...and we didn't. Yet. Ids this free agency class going to look like last year's? God I hope not.

queenie is the same noise every year about this time: all the pats competition is "in decline" especially the steelers colts and ravens (gee that worked out well huh?) and every FA signed by anyone but the pats is "overpaid" with a "bloated" contract and bellichick is "brilliant" for not "overpaying" and getting "value" blah blah blah sis boom bah

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Tell the "no salary cap hell" bit to the Jets. They just cut half their team because of it and might trade the other half. They have two very good CBs (for now), a great center, and that's about it...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to dapats1281's comment:

He mocks things he doesn't get. He thinks there is no cap, so paying 13 million per for Mikey Wallace means BB is a big meanie and a dummie.

I can just remember the threads 2 years ago about how great Mike Wallace is. LOL

That one will sink Miami in the end.  The gun runs like 4 routes and now he's 13 million per year.  All it takes is one moron team to set the market in FA on one position.

I just don't get how teams can pay 13 million a year for wide receivers rust...I mean, isn't every team in salary cap hell? If they aren't, how did they get out? And if they escaped, won't someone be looking for them? How can you enjoy yourself with someone looking for you? You could be out to dinner and order an appetizer and just as you're getting ready to enjoy it - I mean really enjoy it - you can't because they might be looking for you...to drag you back into salary cap hell. Know what I mean? Scares the sh*T out of me, it really does. I'm sure the Dolphins are scared too - why would they do this?

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to magicalhobo's comment:

Tell the "no salary cap hell" bit to the Jets. They just cut half their team because of it and might trade the other half. They have two very good CBs (for now), a great center, and that's about it...

no one says it doesn't exist it's just that to rusty it exists to everyone but the brilliant bellichick every single off season...a broken record

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to magicalhobo's comment:

I hear what you're saying, but in all honesty they may be the team the deepest into this "Salary CAP HELL" thing and yet today they restructured another contract and shaved another few million off their scary cap. Now they stand at 11 million under it. The players they cut were old and washed up. This player they may trade will get them a first round pick and save them a little bit of money (and this is for a guy with a bum knee). I don't think that if Patrick Chung blew out his knee we would be able to trade him and get a roll of tape.

Now the jets real problem is this...they don't have Tom Brady...they don't have Belichick coaching that team and they have to face both those guys twice a year. Ouch. Plus they have Sanchez. Double ouch.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Hahaha well I would rather get multiple guys who can fill the needed roles over one guy who is apparently a "top free agent," and then have no depth because I'm shelling out that money for the other guy. "Top free agents" tend to be good players, but if they were that good then their teams wouldn't let them leave. That is why you get decent, value players through free agency and get the difference makers through the draft.

At least that is my philosophy...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Russ..II thought if a team traded a p,Ayer to another team, the new team assumes the players salary and corresponding cap hit? Seems logical right ? So if revis is traded, the jests save big bucks and get a 1st rounder...right?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I hear what you're saying, but in all honesty they may be the team the deepest into this "Salary CAP HELL" thing and yet today they restructured another contract and shaved another few million off their scary cap. Now they stand at 11 million under it. The players they cut were old and washed up. This player they may trade will get them a first round pick and save them a little bit of money (and this is for a guy with a bum knee). I don't think that if Patrick Chung blew out his knee we would be able to trade him and get a roll of tape.

Now the jets real problem is this...they don't have Tom Brady...they don't have Belichick coaching that team and they have to face both those guys twice a year. Ouch. Plus they have Sanchez. Double ouch.

Yeah, they are 11 million under the cap right now, but how many positions do they now need to fill after all those cap saving cuts? Most of the players they have set to start right now wouldn't even make most depth charts. What they are doing now is a purge. They are basically throwing in the towel for the next year or two (at least) until they can get everything sorted out.

They might as well just cut Sanchez at this point. Their fans don't want him and he is just wasting space and money.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Russ..II thought if a team traded a p,Ayer to another team, the new team assumes the players salary and corresponding cap hit? Seems logical right ? So if revis is traded, the jests save big bucks and get a 1st rounder...right?

The salary, but not the bonuses which have been prorated over the length of the contract.  Those bonuses, already paid by the Jets, instead get accelerated onto THIS year's cap.  In short, the Jets gain no cap room this year by trading Revis; and are actually in worse shape, since they have to pay a replacement.

*edit* Actually, looking up his numbers, the situation is even worse.  He counts 9 million against the cap if he plays for the Jets; if he's traded, those bonuses that get accelerated to the cap will account for 12 million in dead money. They'd be idiots to trade Revis with those numbers.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Out of all the teams to spend money the Pats were 9th going into today.  Many good players got away.  Even let one of their good OL lineman get away.  They need to make some moves, spend some money and get some quality players to help them get over the top.  Instead they sat on their wallet... much like they did the off season they when they ended up signing Haynsworth and Ocho.  Thats what happens when you dont make moves during this time. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Out of all the teams to spend money the Pats were 9th going into today.  Many good players got away.  Even let one of their good OL lineman get away.  They need to make some moves, spend some money and get some quality players to help them get over the top.  Instead they sat on their wallet... much like they did the off season they when they ended up signing Haynsworth and Ocho.  Thats what happens when you dont make moves during this time. 

they don't have many draft picks to work with either don't they?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

It's funny to see a Dolphins fan in here trying to talk smack.  When was the last time the Dolphins were any good?  2008? and Before that?  Had only 2 10+ wins in a season the last 10 years.  LOL!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

It's funny to see a Dolphins fan in here trying to talk smack.  When was the last time the Dolphins were any good?  2008? and Before that?  Had only 2 10+ wins in a season the last 10 years.  LOL!

thats talking smack? sounded like an innocent question to me

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

who's talking smack? i'm just asking a question.. wasn't being condescending or anything.

Just pointing out that with the lack of draft picks it puts an emphasis on uncle Bill and Co. to do a good job with FAs this offseason lest they fall behind. having said that, i fully expect them to do a good job. It's one of their strong suits. finding diamonds in the rough so to speak. whether it's in the draft or in FA. They usually have a pretty good success rate when buying low and seeing those players excell. It's one of the things that keeps them in contention year in and year out. Well that and Tom Brady.

don't get your panties twisted man. if you think that was my talking smack you should head over to the Sox forum and really see me talk smack..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

who's talking smack? i'm just asking a question.. wasn't being condescending or anything.

Just pointing out that with the lack of draft picks it puts an emphasis on uncle Bill and Co. to do a good job with FAs this offseason lest they fall behind. having said that, i fully expect them to do a good job. It's one of their strong suits. finding diamonds in the rough so to speak. whether it's in the draft or in FA. They usually have a pretty good success rate when buying low and seeing those players excell. It's one of the things that keeps them in contention year in and year out. Well that and Tom Brady.

don't get your panties twisted man. if you think that was my talking smack you should head over to the Sox forum and really see me talk smack..

That's the way it hit me so I apologize for taking your comment the wrong way!  Yes, they only have 5 draft picks this season. 

Sections
Shortcuts