The big and expected news in FA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: The big and expected news in FA

In response to mthurl's comment:

Well here's the thing -we've been hearing about salary cap hell for four years now...how every team was going to be in trouble and it was going to leave us all alone to just gobble up all these world class free agents, at discount prices. Today it sure didn't look like that. We have been hearing (a bit too much) about fiscal resposibility, "value", the Patriot way and yet we sat there for two seasons with 7 million not spent on under the cap (and not spent on players we could of used) during seasons with a QB that is in his prime.

Last season we had 29 million to spend in free agency and came away with...Robert Gallery, Gaffney, Addai, Stallworth, Steven Gregory, Jonathan Fennene, Lloyd, Gonzalez, Fells, and Shonacce. Some would argue that even Lloyd didn't do as advertised...as for the rest? No one would argue that was a good way to patiently wait and spend that precious 29 million in cap space.

So the sky is not falling - Brady is still here - it's the first day, but you can understand that free agency began...teams still went out and spent...and we didn't. Yet. Is this free agency class going to look like last year's? God I hope not.

"Well here's the thing -we've been hearing about salary cap hell for four years now...how every team was going to be in trouble and it was going to leave us all alone to just gobble up all these world class free agents, at discount prices. Today it sure didn't look like that. We have been hearing (a bit too much) about fiscal resposibility, "value", the Patriot way and yet we sat there for two seasons with 7 million not spent on under the cap (and not spent on players we could of used) during seasons with a QB that is in his prime."

the use of that theroey likely prevented super bowls, while other top teams went for ti.

one thing about bb almost without excpetion (in most cases) is a conservative football guy (gm) through and thorugh

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

Out of all the teams to spend money the Pats were 9th going into today.  Many good players got away.  Even let one of their good OL lineman get away.  They need to make some moves, spend some money and get some quality players to help them get over the top.  Instead they sat on their wallet... much like they did the off season they when they ended up signing Haynsworth and Ocho.  Thats what happens when you dont make moves during this time. 

they don't have many draft picks to work with either don't they?

It's funny to see a Dolphins fan in here trying to talk smack.  When was the last time the Dolphins were any good?  2008? and Before that?  Had only 2 10+ wins in a season the last 10 years.  LOL!

who's talking smack? i'm just asking a question.. wasn't being condescending or anything.

Just pointing out that with the lack of draft picks it puts an emphasis on uncle Bill and Co. to do a good job with FAs this offseason lest they fall behind. having said that, i fully expect them to do a good job. It's one of their strong suits. finding diamonds in the rough so to speak. whether it's in the draft or in FA. They usually have a pretty good success rate when buying low and seeing those players excell. It's one of the things that keeps them in contention year in and year out. Well that and Tom Brady.

don't get your panties twisted man. if you think that was my talking smack you should head over to the Sox forum and really see me talk smack..

That's the way it hit me so I apologize for taking your comment the wrong way!  Yes, they only have 5 draft picks this season. 

actually 2 are late 7th rounders so i say only 3. 2 are udfa's who are consdered the better of the buch

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Russ..II thought if a team traded a p,Ayer to another team, the new team assumes the players salary and corresponding cap hit? Seems logical right ? So if revis is traded, the jests save big bucks and get a 1st rounder...right?

The salary, but not the bonuses which have been prorated over the length of the contract.  Those bonuses, already paid by the Jets, instead get accelerated onto THIS year's cap.  In short, the Jets gain no cap room this year by trading Revis; and are actually in worse shape, since they have to pay a replacement.

*edit* Actually, looking up his numbers, the situation is even worse.  He counts 9 million against the cap if he plays for the Jets; if he's traded, those bonuses that get accelerated to the cap will account for 12 million in dead money. They'd be idiots to trade Revis with those numbers.

hey matt,

re

" 12 million in dead money. They'd be idiots to trade Revis with those numbers."

exaclty. and i posted this a month and a half ago

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

hey Brdbreu what are doing up so late (or early?!)haha Stay well!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

hey Brdbreu what are doing up so late (or early?!)haha Stay well!

hey man how you?

i live in ca

and usually am writing late

:)

its really nice to have somene to cmmunicate about the time im reading/chiming in before bed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Listen you can't spend like a wild crazy team because cap hell is real and the Jets are currently stuck in it but at the same time Mthurl brought up a good point talk about:

"Last season we had 29 million to spend in free agency and came away with...Robert Gallery, Gaffney, Addai, Stallworth, Steven Gregory, Jonathan Fennene, Lloyd, Gonzalez, Fells, and Shonacce. Some would argue that even Lloyd didn't do as advertised...as for the rest? No one would argue that was a good way to patiently wait and spend that precious 29 million in cap space."

What good is cap space if you don't use it effectively? Having all the space does nothing if all you do is overpay for a bunch of JAGs and mid teir aging vets who provide nothing in the end and that's what most of the Pats offseasons look like recently. What's worse spending $25 million on the lot mentioned above or spending $25mil on Welker, Vollmer, and Talib?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

+1 PatsEng. I don't get it, but then again, I don't run the pats. 

Bb has to do something in FA. He only has 5 picks in the draft, and more positions to fill. I think he has a plan, but I think the plan includes a bitmofmthe same from years past....bring in a bunch of 3rd tier, aging guys who earn peanuts and see what sticks. 

The promising thing is the cb FA market. There is lots of talent there. He can stock up on it, maybe grab some OL help, and then ue the draft on DT, de, wr....positions that have big depth. I e really hope he lands 2 cb in FA. If anything, this is the year to do it And we have the cash. It also makes sense to me because we have a young secondary and they could benefit from a vet or two Back therie. we need 2. Talib and Arrington replacements. Plus, we need an insurance policy for dowling. Maybe cole fits that bill, but we have to sign 2 cb. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I sort of agree with Pats Eng on this.  I've been saying for two years that the Pats' postseason problems are all because the talent is not as consistently good, deep, and diverse as it needs to be.  This is not to say that we don't have any great players--we have a number of them.  But we don't have enough diversity of good players to avoid one-dimensionality on offense, particularly if one or two guys are dinged up.  And on defense, the quality truly has been lacking in many positions. 

Mid tier free agents, many of whom don't work out, don't hurt the cap much, but also don't provide the quality we need to be competitive with really talented teams like San Fran.  There are trade-offs in every strategy. The trade-off the Pats have been making is sacrificing a bit of quality to preserve flexibility and avoid the risk of an expensive bust.  The strategy has worked to keep the Pats extremely competitive, but the team hasn't been talented enough to be really dominant in the postseason when it's up against teams with more quality players. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

As far as the Jets are concerned even Mike Francesca of the FAN in NY admits that every move the Jets are making are strictly financial because of their cap situation.