The big miss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

The big miss

I'm fine with Easley as the first pick, but in my opinion the Patriots missed a golden opportunity with their 2nd pick (#62) for the player who I think will exceed all expectations in the NFL. 

My belief is that Jimmy Garoppolo would have still been on the board in the 3rd round and if the Patriots were looking to bolster their running game, which they obviously were with their selection of James White in the 4th round, they could have and I believe should have taken Tre Mason, Auburn, with pick #62.   Mason subsequently went to the Rams with pick #75.

I've seen this kid play, and he is definitely a 'keeper' and quite a few teams besides the PATS will rue the day that they passed over him in the draft.

Mason played in 12 games as a true freshman for Auburn in '11, rushing 28 times for 166 yards (5.9-yard average) and one touchdown while returning 24 kickoffs for 633 yards (26.4) and one touchdown. Led the SEC in kickoff return average. Won the kickoff return job in camp and scored on a 97-yard scamper in his collegiate debut.

After seeing limited action down the stretch, including losing his job as the kick returner, he was forced into a prominent role in the Chick-fil-A Bowl after starter Michael Dyer was suspended -- Mason responded with a 9-64-1 performance against Virginia.

Had a much larger role in '12, splitting time at running back and rushing 171-1,002-8 (5.9) and catching 7-86-0 (12.3) in 12 games (five starts). Was the first non-QB to lead Auburn in total offense since Bo Jackson in 1985. Had a breakout campaign in '13, piling up 317-1,816-23 (5.7) on the ground, 12-163-1 (13.6) receiving and 15-395-1 (26.3) returning kickoffs in 14 games (12 starts). Was a Heisman Trophy finalist, breaking Bo Jackson's single-season school mark with his SEC-high rushing yardage total. Also set school single-season records for all-purpose yards (2,374) and rushing touchdowns in winning SEC Offensive Player of the Year honors.

Over Auburn's final three games against Alabama, Missouri and Florida State, he racked up 663 yards on the ground -- including a memorable 46-304-4 affair against Mizzou in the SEC Championship Game. Followed up that performance with 195 rushing yards vs. Florida State, the most ever for a running back in a BCS Championship Game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Re: The big miss

Swing and a miss!

Texans would have taken Garoppolo.  Billy panicked and picked him.  Billy was afraid texans would take him and then not want Mallet.  Billy thinks mallet can be traded.  Nobody wants mallet for less then a 4th rnd pick in year 2050.

Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The guy I loved was Bishop Sankey, who I think went to the Texans earlier in the second (and I believe he was the first back taken). I would of traded up for this guy - I just don't think you can teach a player to see the field like this kid does - and he is just so smart and creative running the ball. I think the Titans had a great overall draft.

I will say White looks pretty good too, he doesn't have a lot of power, but he is fast enough to give us a little different look and he can catch the football. Hill looked like he would of helped too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'll play along... I wanted Jarvis Landry and think he would've turned into one of the best WR's on the roster fairly quickly... and he was there at #62, going off the board to Miami at #63.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

Everybody was surprised that our first 2 picks may not see much of the field for a while. But I'm happy with both picks now. I think both have a good shot at being steals. When healthy Easley looks even better than Aaron Donald, and with today's medical technology a player can return from an ACL tear and be just as dominant again. I think by playoff time Easley may be close to his old self. 

After looking at the highlights of Jimmy Garropolo I'm very impressed with his accuracy and quick release. He is the opposite of Mallett. His arm isn't as strong as Mallett but his accuracy is light years better and he seems to do everything well. He has a little bit of mobility, he throws well on the run. If there is any weakness to his game he doesn't possess a cannon, there are many great QB's that don't have a cannon. And they say his level of competition wasn't exactly the SEC. But his receivers weren't on the level of the SEC either.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Although I wasn't a big fan of a QB pick in the 2nd round Garoppolo is a player and is coming into a situation where he will be coached up.  His height is probably not be best but everything else is there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

if i wanted any RB I would have to have picked Carlos Hyde.  He is a huge back who is hard to take down and catches the ball really well.  He will replace Frank Gore

with enough thrust, pigs fly just fine!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

I'd like to amend my original post by acknowledging an aspect of things to consider when selecting a RB as pointed out in the following article by a local scribe following the draft.

"Fourth-round rookie James White now provides the best Vereen insurance, as the ex-Wisconsin Badger compiled a career-high 39 catches during his final season in Madison. White's vision, patience and decisiveness are an ideal fit for the Pats' zone-blocking scheme, and he should see a fair amount of snaps his rookie season."

Maybe the Patriot-brain trust felt 'Vereen insurance' (White) in the event of an injury was more paramount than 'Ridley insurance', (my choice Mason), perhaps well-knowing they could always put in Bolden if Ridley were to be injured or resumed his tendency to fumble. 

Notwithstanding, I'll stand by my original view that Mason should have been selected with pick #62 even if it meant risking that Garopollo might not fall to them in Round 3. (I'm not at all convinced that the Texans would have selected him to fill their QB quest.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I won't pretend that I watched a ton of Auburn football this year, but I am always a bit worried about drafting a RB who put up huge numbers in some gimmick college offense.  Haven't Malzahn's offenses always produced ridiculous rushing totals?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I won't pretend that I watched a ton of Auburn football this year, but I am always a bit worried about drafting a RB who put up huge numbers in some gimmick college offense.  Haven't Malzahn's offenses always produced ridiculous rushing totals?

[/QUOTE]

Good point.

I liked Hyde coming out of this draft.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to garytx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Although I wasn't a big fan of a QB pick in the 2nd round Garoppolo is a player and is coming into a situation where he will be coached up.  His height is probably not be best but everything else is there.

[/QUOTE]

You may be right, but to bolster my case, :) there is a good chance that during Garoppolo's 4-year contract he will see little action (ala Rodgers behind Favre @ Green Bay) until Brady retires.  In the meantime it is my opinion that Mason will put up some awesome numbers for the Rams over the next four years.  And, I'm of a mind that Garoppolo would have dropped to the 3rd Round.  Also, consider that the PATS could have taken Mason at #62 and then traded up from the 3rd round to get Garoppolo if they felt that enamored with him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm fine with Easley as the first pick, but in my opinion the Patriots missed a golden opportunity with their 2nd pick (#62) for the player who I think will exceed all expectations in the NFL. 

My belief is that Jimmy Garoppolo would have still been on the board in the 3rd round and if the Patriots were looking to bolster their running game, which they obviously were with their selection of James White in the 4th round, they could have and I believe should have taken Tre Mason, Auburn, with pick #62.   Mason subsequently went to the Rams with pick #75.

I've seen this kid play, and he is definitely a 'keeper' and quite a few teams besides the PATS will rue the day that they passed over him in the draft.

Mason played in 12 games as a true freshman for Auburn in '11, rushing 28 times for 166 yards (5.9-yard average) and one touchdown while returning 24 kickoffs for 633 yards (26.4) and one touchdown. Led the SEC in kickoff return average. Won the kickoff return job in camp and scored on a 97-yard scamper in his collegiate debut.

After seeing limited action down the stretch, including losing his job as the kick returner, he was forced into a prominent role in the Chick-fil-A Bowl after starter Michael Dyer was suspended -- Mason responded with a 9-64-1 performance against Virginia.

Had a much larger role in '12, splitting time at running back and rushing 171-1,002-8 (5.9) and catching 7-86-0 (12.3) in 12 games (five starts). Was the first non-QB to lead Auburn in total offense since Bo Jackson in 1985. Had a breakout campaign in '13, piling up 317-1,816-23 (5.7) on the ground, 12-163-1 (13.6) receiving and 15-395-1 (26.3) returning kickoffs in 14 games (12 starts). Was a Heisman Trophy finalist, breaking Bo Jackson's single-season school mark with his SEC-high rushing yardage total. Also set school single-season records for all-purpose yards (2,374) and rushing touchdowns in winning SEC Offensive Player of the Year honors.

Over Auburn's final three games against Alabama, Missouri and Florida State, he racked up 663 yards on the ground -- including a memorable 46-304-4 affair against Mizzou in the SEC Championship Game. Followed up that performance with 195 rushing yards vs. Florida State, the most ever for a running back in a BCS Championship Game.

[/QUOTE]

Remember in Algebra when you had to solve for two variables? Got a bit tricky as unknows can make you wear out your pencil.

Only BB and TB can solve one of the variables here. They know when TB will be moving on.

If TB is here in 3 yrs then your algebraic equation will be solved.

If TB is gone after 2 more years then he and BB will have revealed the 2014 unknowns and the equation is not only solved but completely understood.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dustcover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Remember in Algebra when you had to solve for two variables? Got a bit tricky as unknowns can make you wear out your pencil.

Only BB and TB can solve one of the variables here. They know when TB will be moving on.

If TB is here in 3 yrs then your algebraic equation will be solved.

If TB is gone after 2 more years then he and BB will have revealed the 2014 unknowns and the equation is not only solved but completely understood.  

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely point on, and at my age I only hope I'm still around to see how the x's and y's play out.  And I might add that at my age I can also relate to how one's pencil can wear out. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

As GM, BB is a dope. Of this, there is no longer any doubt.

Question: How can you tell when Rusty's lying?

Answer: He typed something.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I don't see why nobody understands the economics of back up QBs. Unless you want the Pats to completely crumble if TB goes down (even if he just misses three or four games) you have to have a good back-up. Next year there was no way BB was going into the draft without a back-up on the roster and a good veteran is going to cost $3M+ (or resigning Mallet if you prefer.) JG is going to cost under $1M for each of the next four years - that is $2M+ in cap money that can be used to resign players or bring in better FAs.

As for Mallet - BB could care less whether he trades him or not at the end of preseason - if the kid has talent and signs somewhere next year and gets to start - they get a comp pick for him. BB was not going to sign him - he got his three year run of keeping only two QBs with one costing under $1M and he is preparing for next year the exact same way he did with Mallet (who was picked at #74 by the way, not that different from #62 - probably the difference is an extra 6th or 7th round pick.) They like JG - seems like a good option and he wasn't likely to be around into the 70s.

As for an additional RB - we have one from the fourth and 2 additional pretty intriguing one in the UDFA haul. Not sure any RB that was selected would have supplanted Ridley/Vareen at the top of the rotation this coming year anyway unless injury hits. TE or LB might have made sense but they don't seem to have liked any of the options available. As for WR ... Brady seems to like the three rookies from last year so was a new rookie really going to win a spot after the top ten or so had been taken?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I'm fine with both picks.  I admit that I'm wary of picking players with multiple injuries though.  It has come back to bite us.  That said, unless Easley gets injured again, he will likely be a best.  I totally get the QB selection.  Mallet is in his final year and backup QB's have price tags nowadays that are probably too rich for the Pats.  Besides, why would he want to stay with a team he knows he can't fight for a starting role on?  

Brady's injury risk only increases with every year.  The higher the risk, the better your insurance policy should be.  That's how I see it.  Garroppolo represents a better insurance policy for a HoF QB in a high risk part of his career.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'm strugling with the premise that Garapollo would have been available late in round three. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm strugling with the premise that Garapollo would have been available late in round three. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree, and while we'll never know for sure, I don't think JG had any chance of being available at #93.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20140227/jimmy-garoppolo-2014-nfl-draft/" rel="nofollow">http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20140227/jimmy-garoppolo-2014-nfl-draft/

Dimes to dollars Houston takes him top of the third...

Some said he could very well go in the first....the overall grade was mid second to mid third.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Mia, caraway, prolate, mbeau, nomorePen, thanks for your thoughts. 

All good points. As well as 'civil'. :)

But I really, reeaallyy like Mason's potential.  Guess we're all going to have to just sit back and see how things pan out. 

Thanks for participating in this discussion.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

The entire draft (except for a handful of top players) is a complete crap-shoot.  with a strong emphasis on the load of "crap" college players relative to the demands of the NFL.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As GM, BB is a dope. Of this, there is no longer any doubt.

Question: How can you tell when Rusty's lying?

Answer: He typed something.

[/QUOTE]

Babe, man, you've got to stop drinking the Kool-Aid.  Looks like the stuff is going to your head.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Dustcover - generally it has been a civil thread. Definitely will not last!

I think if every poster on this board chose their 'binkie' at #62 we would end up with a list of 50-100 players and probably five of them would have pretty good careers and a couple might be the latest 'steals' of this draft. But ... I just think the likelihood of any single choice being that player is very low. You've stated your position for Mason, others have the TE, or Nix, or____ and one of you will probably be 'right' and can come back and say 'see, I was right and BB totally blew it! The others will just quietly forget they were so high on _____ who didn't make it onto an NFL roster or into a game.

Drafting is half scouting and half dumb luck and a law of averages and a balancing of current and future needs. Getting a QB in this draft was a necessity I feel because Mallet is gone next year. So the team was going to 'waste' a draft pick at some point and BB the GM had to decide which one and where. I suspect that they wanted one of maybe three QBs available and that the ranking on their board had a huge drop off from JG to the next one and JG was the last available QB on their list. I also suspect he had close to a first round grade.

Finally, if he ever plays a game for the Pats I think it is just as likely that the pundits will end up saying 'how could 32 teams have passed twice on this guy' as it is for any single other player taken after pick 62. Doesn't mean I think he is that great, just that he has about the same chance as any other of the picks made. And I do know that if he is functional and ends up being the back-up to TB for 3 years, then it was a financially very wise selection and I hope he never plays a down on his rookie deal!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

Dustcover - generally it has been a civil thread. Definitely will not last!

I think if every poster on this board chose their 'binkie' at #62 we would end up with a list of 50-100 players and probably five of them would have pretty good careers and a couple might be the latest 'steals' of this draft. But ... I just think the likelihood of any single choice being that player is very low. You've stated your position for Mason, others have the TE, or Nix, or____ and one of you will probably be 'right' and can come back and say 'see, I was right and BB totally blew it! The others will just quietly forget they were so high on _____ who didn't make it onto an NFL roster or into a game.

Drafting is half scouting and half dumb luck and a law of averages and a balancing of current and future needs. Getting a QB in this draft was a necessity I feel because Mallet is gone next year. So the team was going to 'waste' a draft pick at some point and BB the GM had to decide which one and where. I suspect that they wanted one of maybe three QBs available and that the ranking on their board had a huge drop off from JG to the next one and JG was the last available QB on their list. I also suspect he had close to a first round grade.

Finally, if he ever plays a game for the Pats I think it is just as likely that the pundits will end up saying 'how could 32 teams have passed twice on this guy' as it is for any single other player taken after pick 62. Doesn't mean I think he is that great, just that he has about the same chance as any other of the picks made. And I do know that if he is functional and ends up being the back-up to TB for 3 years, then it was a financially very wise selection and I hope he never plays a down on his rookie deal!

Even if any of those "other" picks do pan out for other teams you cannot equate that to how they would do on the Pats. Different teams use players different ways and that can never be accounted for. How would Emmit Smith do if he was on a team that believed in running back by committee?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to mia76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't see why nobody understands the economics of back up QBs. Unless you want the Pats to completely crumble if TB goes down (even if he just misses three or four games) you have to have a good back-up. Next year there was no way BB was going into the draft without a back-up on the roster and a good veteran is going to cost $3M+ (or resigning Mallet if you prefer.) JG is going to cost under $1M for each of the next four years - that is $2M+ in cap money that can be used to resign players or bring in better FAs.

As for Mallet - BB could care less whether he trades him or not at the end of preseason - if the kid has talent and signs somewhere next year and gets to start - they get a comp pick for him. BB was not going to sign him - he got his three year run of keeping only two QBs with one costing under $1M and he is preparing for next year the exact same way he did with Mallet (who was picked at #74 by the way, not that different from #62 - probably the difference is an extra 6th or 7th round pick.) They like JG - seems like a good option and he wasn't likely to be around into the 70s.

As for an additional RB - we have one from the fourth and 2 additional pretty intriguing one in the UDFA haul. Not sure any RB that was selected would have supplanted Ridley/Vareen at the top of the rotation this coming year anyway unless injury hits. TE or LB might have made sense but they don't seem to have liked any of the options available. As for WR ... Brady seems to like the three rookies from last year so was a new rookie really going to win a spot after the top ten or so had been taken?

[/QUOTE]

Let's harkin back to one Matt Cassell. Brady goes down in week #1 and Cassell steps in to fill the void. Sure, he won 11 games. But, the 5 losses came to that season's playoff teams, who the Pats lost head-to-head tie breakers to. So, what good, ultimately, were those 11 wins?

Let's not pare this with "if the D did this....", or "If the RB hadn't.....", or "if that receiver didn't...."  excuses. You can't plan (FA signing, pre-season draft, etc) for a single in-game foul up. Good players overcome those moments and rise above them. There's no time to blame anyone or anything else. Good teams and players will find a way to win if they are in position to do so. A solid backup QB is necessary. But, unfortunately, they are a sexy commodity. Look at how Cassell parleyed his 11-5 seson. Same for Schaub when he left Atlanta. There's Kolb out of hilly, who did absolutely nothing after he left.

It's a double edged sword.