the BIG O is no mo.. ANYONE else cares?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Re: the BIG O is no mo.. ANYONE else cares?

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2013/02/sources_weei_to_replace_glenn.html

sad reminder of how fragile success and life can be.. this man dominated the airwaves for all these years, now like with the dinosaurs, a new species has come forth to own the footprints of the area. perhaps more so like the folks we named thanksgiving in rememberance of. anywho, big o give everyone a shot esp felger and massorotti who now beat him regularly in the same timeslot.  the list of folks who benefitted from his association is huge. heck, always loved deossie and smerlas. now both dudes used their fame and chemistry to get a dominant restaurant chain and cigar clubs. i hope he's not lobelled around here (another old fave) and he gets to land on his feet. he subbed in nationally for dan patrick (another fave)a  few times.. perhaps something even bigger and bolder will come out! he was like the howie carr of the airwaves minus the right wing jambroni nonsense.

for us non-boston/non NE types who is the Big O?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Glen Ordway, radio drive time talk show host. Mini Mike Francesa. Took his listeners for granted and showed them lttle care while EEI was the only sports talk show in the region. Now that the competition came to the area, EEI and Glen ratings plummeted.

Speaks volumes of how much Ordway was dislikes that a mediocre talent like Tony Mazz could come in and topple Ordway.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I feel bad for Ordway really. He basically built EEI and Boston sports radio since as far as I can remember (I'm still fairly young). He actually hired most of the people that now run the station. There is no loyalty in business but for everything he did this was sad, and it's not like he was pulling bad ratings either. Now, I'm a big 98.5 fan but Ordway was a staple for a long time and it won't be the same around Boston without him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I feel bad for Ordway really. He basically built EEI and Boston sports radio since as far as I can remember (I'm still fairly young). He actually hired most of the people that now run the station. There is no loyalty in business but for everything he did this was sad, and it's not like he was pulling bad ratings either. Now, I'm a big 98.5 fan but Ordway was a staple for a long time and it won't be the same around Boston without him.

Eddie Andelman

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

The big O is one of two things.  One is inappropriate for this site.  The other is Oscar Robertson.  There are no others. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Eddie Andelman

Hey rkarp, I'm only 31 so when Ordway took over as exec director in the mid 80's is the earliest I can remember. I remember Andelman on the radio but Ordway basically built the station up since the mid 80's

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I remember Eddie and he certainly did a great deal for EEI.  Glenn, on the other hand, really did take the medium to the next level in the Boston market.  What appears to have happened is that station management has reason to believe that Glenn's style no longer appeals to the majority of the sports talk listening public.  Here's the demographic:  http://www.weei.com/weei/extras/right-audience-right-now

Good luck, Glenn.  No one flip-flops quite like you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Eddie Andelman

Hey rkarp, I'm only 31 so when Ordway took over as exec director in the mid 80's is the earliest I can remember. I remember Andelman on the radio but Ordway basically built the station up since the mid 80's

ask Andelman and J Most (rip) what kind of guy Ordway is. EEI sports talk was built up before Ordway started. Ordway lasted as long as he did due to zero competition. As soon as mediocre comp entered the market, Ordway was exposed as a dolt.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

Glen Ordway, radio drive time talk show host. Mini Mike Francesa. Took his listeners for granted and showed them lttle care while EEI was the only sports talk show in the region. Now that the competition came to the area, EEI and Glen ratings plummeted.

Speaks volumes of how much Ordway was dislikes that a mediocre talent like Tony Mazz could come in and topple Ordway.

Why am I not shocked that you have this opinion? You just praised a cornerstone voice in Boston for 30 years, a guy who did games with Johnny Most for crying out loud, and you're praising girly boy Wisconsin tool Felger and whiny voiced Mazz?  Mazz shouldn't even be on the radio with a voice like that.

I shouldn't be telling someone like you this, dopey.  They give voice tests to people who are on the radio to see if people are receptive to the tone of their voice.   But, not for Mazz!  Wittle bald Mazzy gets special privileges since being brought over from the Herald. He gets a raise to be a raging moron on a daily basis and he gets to write about sports he literally knows nothing about in this city.

Super!

Let's reward selfserving morons and fire the professionals who are intelligent!

Yes!  That's the RKarp way! That's the Jetsie way!

do you know how to read? I wrote "Speaks volumes of how much Ordway was disliked that a mediocre talent like Tony Mazz could come in and topple Ordway."

I thought Ordway started out strong in the area, stabbed JMost in the back on his way up, and due to no competition, Ordway was king of the hill, treating his listeners to pompous attitude, lazy guests and general rudeness. The fact that mediocre talent like TMazz toppled EEi in the ratings, shows how little Ordway was liked in the region...

Prediction, in 5 years, EEI will no longer have sports talk, as ESPN is too big to slow down, and 98.5 will continue to garner better rating over EEi

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

I thought Ordway started out strong in the area, stabbed JMost in the back on his way up, and due to no competition, Ordway was king of the hill, treating his listeners to pompous attitude, lazy guests and general rudeness. The fact that mediocre talent like TMazz toppled EEi in the ratings, shows how little Ordway was liked in the region...

Prediction, in 5 years, EEI will no longer have sports talk, as ESPN is too big to slow down, and 98.5 will continue to garner better rating over EEi

[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you on this Kharp.

I think the Sports Hub with Mazz and Felger is far superior to Ordway's WEEI sports format and I am not surprised Ordway is gone. The big show started out as a creative sports show with some tasteful humor and funny segments. It became unlistenable after a few years due to many reasons including:

1. Commercials and breaks that would frequently take 10 minutes at a time.

2. Arguing among the co-hosts and tangents that would digress from the topic and often had little to do with sports.

3 Frequently you could listen to a 1 hour segment and get 10 minutes of actual sports talk and 50 minutes of mindless banter and commercials

Remember Grandma on the whiner line that called up to complain about the belching and the burping that she found found most offensive and she thought that the "O" in Big "O" stands for offensive.? Well sometimes -I think she had it right.

The only time reason I listened to the Big Show once Sports Hub was broadcasting was to listen to the BIl Belicek interview on Mondays.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Problem with these stations too is they need to boost their signals out of the Boston suburb area. As soon as you start to hit NH or CT...you are losing it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

I remember Eddie and he certainly did a great deal for EEI.  Glenn, on the other hand, really did take the medium to the next level in the Boston market.  What appears to have happened is that station management has reason to believe that Glenn's style no longer appeals to the majority of the sports talk listening public.  Here's the demographic:  http://www.weei.com/weei/extras/right-audience-right-now

Good luck, Glenn.  No one flip-flops quite like you.

I don't think admitting being wrong is "flip flopping". I have a lot more respect for him, a guy who paid his dues for YEARS before getting his own show as opposed to pretty boy toolbox Felger and his toadwart buddy, Mazz.

This is what is wrong with society today.  The trendy, shallow thing is what sells.

What's sad is people fall for it.  Acutal adults. Not kids, but adults.  People like Mt Hurl, RKarp, etc. Low IQ, short attention span, need gimmicks, watch American Idol, see awful movies thinking they're great, listen to awful music, shop at Walmart, etc.

My reference to 'flip-flopping' was in jest since he's always being accused of it.  I like Ordway and trust he will land on his feet quite soon.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

Problem with these stations too is they need to boost their signals out of the Boston suburb area. As soon as you start to hit NH or CT...you are losing it.

I'm able to pick up the Providence affiliate (WVEI) most of the time in my part of CT and Springfield (WWEI) on occasion, although I'd like to see them get something in CT for points west of Hartford.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think the ratings for 98.5 have more to do with the dislike of the big show than anything having to do with Felger or Mazz.

Espn smells blood. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Ordway's show went astray when he allowed his panel, and himself, to sit there and talk amoung themselves, yell and scream at themselves, and put on a classic display of pompous horse radish.

Oh ya..and in between, take no more than 3 phone calls per hour.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

To tell the truth I have never listened to 98.5. Only listen periodically in the car and usually listen to Espn. Couldnt stand the big show. Cant stand FAN. Grew up on Chuck Wilson 

25. This post has been removed.