The Bright Side: Defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

The Bright Side: Defense

Whatever your thoughts on the offensive struggles there is one thing you cannot deny.. the defense is taking very good steps to carry this team.

Granted we've played the Jets/Bills but still the defense of old would give up 350 yards 4 tds on these guys. This year they get off the field on 3rd down and create a good amount of pressure when needed. The pressure could be a lot more consistent, most of the sacks were just Geno holding it too long, but the pressure got better from last week which is a sign of improvement. It looks like the tandem of Jones/Buchanan is the best two rushers we can throw out there to get the QB. Rob Ninkovich is the man. He seems to be in the bsckfield half of the game and gets to the Qb and Rb as well.

Yes the some of the picks tonight were a gift (Dennard and Talib's 2nd pick) but to me Arrington has played so good these first two weeks. The forced fumbles last week, the great tackle in the open field on 3rd and two this week and a tipped pass leading to a pick. The whole secondary seems to be progressing.

The defense hasn't played to this level in September since 2007 and its a great sign cuz most of these guys are young and are getting better. Thats the bright side!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGronk87. Show TheGronk87's posts

Re: The Bright Side: Defense

Let`s see how the defense looks when they have to defend Manning, Brees, Ryan, Flacco.

The D has faced two rookies it`s too early to tell that the unit is that good.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to TheGronk87's comment:

Let`s see how the defense looks when they have to defend Manning, Brees, Ryan, Flacco.

i get your point but early on you must admit they have impressed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Well, considering that this same defense made rookies and scrubs look like all-pros in the past, I think this is a big step forward.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGronk87. Show TheGronk87's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yes they are impressing but let`s be more realistic.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

The run defense was really the low point this week. 123 yards allowed on the ground would have been their third highest total last season.  The important part was they took advantage of the mistakes that Smith made. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

im just saying last year at this time they were letting any QB in the league drop 300 on them easily and now they (& Geno) won the game for us

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGronk87. Show TheGronk87's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

im just saying last year at this time they were letting any QB in the league drop 300 on them easily and now they (& Geno) won the game for us

[/QUOTE]

I got your point yes the D is improved, but now I think we have to wait and see how the top Qbs do against the unit, but until now u are rigth the defense looks the best since 2007

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Arrington, that guy sux right, so far he's our defensive MVP.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

I'm hopeful...but we were saying the SAME things last year after the Titans and Cardinals game. We held both teams to under like 80 yards rushing...COMBINED.

Then we play an okay QB in Flacco and we were reminded of how eh the defense is.

Just to bring some context into it....We just played two below average offensive teams who are sporting rookie QBs in what was considered a weak QB draft class. The second QB (Geno Smith) only had 3 days to prepare for the Patriots. And Geno Smith, in my opinion, even looked horrible in the preseason.

These aren't the offenses we would be expecting in the playoffs. Im proceeding with caution. Winning ugly is still winning. But winning ugly against teams of the caliber of the Jets and Bills brings some concern.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

The run defense was really the low point this week. 123 yards allowed on the ground would have been their third highest total last season.  The important part was they took advantage of the mistakes that Smith made. 

BB's strategy, week in and week out, is to take the opposition's #1 strength away from them.  And this week I believe the strategy was to keep Smith in the pocket and not allow him to escape and breach the outside.  Thus with the PATS emphasis on containment on the outside, it presented better opportunities for the Jets to focus on running the ball up the middle.  In addition, it appeared that the Jets offensive guard (I forget his name) was doing a very nice job on Wilfork without the need to double team him.  It just seemed that the Jets, particularly Ivory, were getting 4 or more yards when they ran it right up the middle.  This I attribute in large part to the PATS front seven being unwilling to commit to stopping the up-the-gut runs by the Jets in order to best protect the edges.  Good call by the Jets offensive coordinator to recognize it, and quite frankly I think he erred in not using it more.  I think BB figured if he could take away Smith's ability to run and his knack for escaping the pocket, he would thus force him to the air.  It apparently worked, because I only counted one instance where Smith got loose and ran for a first down.  On a few other occasions Smith got out of the pocket but there were PATS outside to chase him down or force him to throw the ball out of bounds.

You can never stop everything, but when you take the oppositions #1 strength from them, it usually opens up something else.  But the something else is usually less damaging, except perhaps to the stat sheets.