The Case for Falling QBs in the Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegeeman. Show teegeeman's posts

The Case for Falling QBs in the Draft

Hmm, the day after Blake Bortles's proday, the Texans trade Schaub and sign Fitz. Bridgewater wasn't particualrly impressive at his and some have labelled Johnny Football a potential bust. To me this allows for the possibility that we'll see a repeat of Geno mopping or the sad sight of that young Irish Notre Dame QB, (can't believe I can't remember his name), waiting and waiting. Plus many have opined that this year's qb class is not so great and next year's much better. Let's look at the first 10 teams drafting: Houston - with a good D and OC, I think Fitz can be ok, St Louis -  qb in place, Jacksonville - certainly a possibility but Henne is serviceable, Cleveland - the qb from NE who did well before the knee injury could be better with more talent, Oakland - just got Schaub, Atl - Qb in place, Tampa - got McKnown, Minn - another possiblity but Cassell provides some comfort, Buffalo - Qb in place, Detroit - all set, Tennessee - has Jake Locker, I think new coach will ride with him. Now I'm not saying that no Qbs will be drafted within the first 10, but that I'd be surprised if all three were. Look at Seattle and San Fran. Great defenses with strong running game and non-first round QB. Cleveland could pick a qb with their second pick, and some teams could trade up into late first round to get one. (Rkarp suggested in another recent thread). Could it be that you're ok with a pretty good qb on a very good team, and one that doesn't make mistakes, as opposed to a potentially better qb on a much worse team? Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: The Case for Falling QBs in the Draft

yeah, I mentioned this on another thread. Does the big 3 dropping into the 20-35 range, mean some team would trade up to the PAts choice to pluck one of the 3 QB's, with the Pats trading down for more picks?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

If the QB's fall, will the Jets take Johnny Football? He fits the Joe Namath image.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to teegeeman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hmm, the day after Blake Bortles's proday, the Texans trade Schaub and sign Fitz. Bridgewater wasn't particualrly impressive at his and some have labelled Johnny Football a potential bust. To me this allows for the possibility that we'll see a repeat of Geno mopping or the sad sight of that young Irish Notre Dame QB, (can't believe I can't remember his name), waiting and waiting. Plus many have opined that this year's qb class is not so great and next year's much better. Let's look at the first 10 teams drafting: Houston - with a good D and OC, I think Fitz can be ok, St Louis -  qb in place, Jacksonville - certainly a possibility but Henne is serviceable, Cleveland - the qb from NE who did well before the knee injury could be better with more talent, Oakland - just got Schaub, Atl - Qb in place, Tampa - got McKnown, Minn - another possiblity but Cassell provides some comfort, Buffalo - Qb in place, Detroit - all set, Tennessee - has Jake Locker, I think new coach will ride with him. Now I'm not saying that no Qbs will be drafted within the first 10, but that I'd be surprised if all three were. Look at Seattle and San Fran. Great defenses with strong running game and non-first round QB. Cleveland could pick a qb with their second pick, and some teams could trade up into late first round to get one. (Rkarp suggested in another recent thread). Could it be that you're ok with a pretty good qb on a very good team, and one that doesn't make mistakes, as opposed to a potentially better qb on a much worse team? Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

Brady Quinn

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

yeah, I mentioned this on another thread. Does the big 3 dropping into the 20-35 range, mean some team would trade up to the PAts choice to pluck one of the 3 QB's, with the Pats trading down for more picks?

[/QUOTE]

We do not need more pics we need a starter in the first round who can help the team this year . . . not a project . . .  be it a DE, DT or TE  . . . but someone who will be on the field!  I'd rather see them trade their 1st and one of the 6th to move up to get someone or maybe their 3rd pick and Mallett to get another first rounder if teams are looking for a QB and are not impressed with this crop of players!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We do not need more pics we need a starter in the first round who can help the team this year . . . not a project . . .  be it a DE, DT or TE  . . . but someone who will be on the field!  I'd rather see them trade their 1st and one of the 6th to move up to get someone or maybe their 3rd pick and Mallett to get another first rounder if teams are looking for a QB and are not impressed with this crop of players!

[/QUOTE]

trading down may be the way to go.

all good TEs value in mid-late second

some good DTs second rd too

trade the first for a 2nd, 4th, 7th maybe? use 4th on a coverage LB, 7th on either a OL depth or WR

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Vick signed with the Jets, they are committed to Geno Smith as the future QB. If they fall to the end of the first round you could include Houston as bidders along with Minnesota and Cleveland. However I can't see Cleveland passing on a franchise QB.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Bridgewater's stock should fall.  Afterall what does that say about his work ethic?  Not prepared and skipped the combine putting all his eggs in one basket and failed.  It could explain the recent run on QBs in the FA period.  All of the QB needing teams are adjusting and are ready to go into the year without drafting a QB as a top priority.  Manziel is a wild card.  Bortes has a lot of upside.  I wonder where Carr fits in all of this?  Had a very good combine and has done everything right so far. 

Bottom line is I expect QBs to fall.  If they fall out of the top ten they'll fall into the 2nd round as those teams have no need for a QB.  This is too bad for the Pats as they will miss out on some nice players.  If the QBs drop I expect the Pats to trade out of the first round.  There just isn't anything there that won't be there in the next two rounds.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Pats don't need a starting backup QB.  That's Mallett's job.  They need a project for 2015.  A fourth rounder may work.  A seventh rounder project would also be be BB's modus operendi, similar to taking Matt Cassel in the seventh, or Tom Brady in the sixth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Pats don't need a starting backup QB.  That's Mallett's job.  They need a project for 2015.  A fourth rounder may work.  A seventh rounder project would also be be BB's modus operendi, similar to taking Matt Cassel in the seventh, or Tom Brady in the sixth.

[/QUOTE]

I'd like to find a backup that can run,and trade Mallet

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

I just dont see a QB in this years draft that stands out--one of the top QBs MIGHT pan into a legit starting caliber QB but their is no guarantee. Would not want to be a team in need of a QB this year--no Luck or Matty Ice,etc --all possible backups IMO?