The changes HAVE begun.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Re: The changes HAVE begun.

no doubt they will be changing their ways down there!  they half to after this!  

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

red flag photo: red flag fund RedSticker.jpg

"The wo                     

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to NOISE's comment:

no doubt they will be changing their ways down there!  they half to after this!  

Change their ways? What ways?  This could have happened to any NFL team. IN fact, it has.  Many teams have not seen off field thuggery coming.

Ray Lewis, Rae Carruth, etc. Even that Williams CB from Denver who was gunned down was probably involved in some kind of gang related activity.  Sean Taylor.

This is more about what the culture is in terms of the pool in which NFL teams pull from, not pretending NE did not have a dossier on Aaron Hernandez.

They did.  Can we get past this stupidity that this possiblity of murdering someone could have been seen before it happened?

This is a very unique situation.  Don't let the media tell you it's some sinister scheme like they sold to the public with Spygate because they don't like BB.

There are some things they can probably employ in terms of maybe hiring people to interview these prospects, like licensed social workers or psychologists. Stuff like that. But, no organization should have its feet held to the fire with a really rare and shocking thing like this. It makes no sense.

Many of these minority NCAA prospects come from broken homes, which can clearly lead to problems. But, that would like 60% of the league or whatever the number is.

Scapegoating the Pats because it's convenient for the media isn't going to address ways to minimize the risk.

I think he was talking about ESPN Russ

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"In all seriousness, I think this is more about more sinister activity like who you run with, not stupid mistakes you made as an immature kid."

Agreed. I suspect the focus will be on guns and related violence. 

Also true this won't just affect the Pats, no team in the NFL wants that kind of thing going down. 

Actually I agree with the entire post. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

the elephant in the room, that the media will pick away at while the Hern case lingers for the next few months, is that prior to this latest Hern crime, the Pats did EVERYTHING correctly. They did their pre draft homework, analyzed the tests, spoke with the Fla police, spoke with Meyer, and before the resigned him, they spoke with team mates, spoke with the BPD, etc, etc.

the elephant in the room is that the Pats knew much, much more than "we were duped" leads one to believe.

so the Pats can speak to doing everything to improve to insure this not happen again, but at the end of the day, regardless of the intel gathered, if BB decides to sign a guy, he will.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

the elephant in the room, that the media will pick away at while the Hern case lingers for the next few months, is that prior to this latest Hern crime, the Pats did EVERYTHING correctly. They did their pre draft homework, analyzed the tests, spoke with the Fla police, spoke with Meyer, and before the resigned him, they spoke with team mates, spoke with the BPD, etc, etc.

the elephant in the room is that the Pats knew much, much more than "we were duped" leads one to believe.

so the Pats can speak to doing everything to improve to insure this not happen again, but at the end of the day, regardless of the intel gathered, if BB decides to sign a guy, he will.

Give me a f-ing break!! What they (DID) know was that he had a bad past, and they took a chance. They (THOUGHT) that their enviroment would make this kid realize he needs to wake up and fly straight....and he blew it. They got burned. They took a big chance...and they made a big mistake. Stop trying to make it look like they knew he wouldn't work out and become a murderer.

In the history of the league, there haven't been a lot of mudering thugs. The Pats got really unlucky with this one. ALL TEAMS TAKE RISKS. Every post you make has a tone of blaming the Pats....we get it. Maybe someday you'll realize it was a random incident that is rare, and there isn't a single team in the league that could have predicted this outcome.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

So for the record are you saying Kraft and BB were not telling the truth?

They asked BB directly:

Transcript

Q. Did the organization have any idea about this double homicide in 2012 that he was connected [with] or the shooting in Miami?

Belichick: No.

Q. For clarification, someone asked about your knowledge of the 2012 double homicide and the incident in Miami and your answer was ‘no.’ Was that no, you can’t comment or no, you didn’t know?

Belichick: That would be no.

Are you accusing Kraft & BB of being liars?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

No, he's just trolling for reactions & responses. He got want he asked for....a statement...and a great statement at that. Almost everyone I heard talking about it in the media thinks BB did a great job, and went beyond the call of duty.

What a shocker that rkarp still isn't happy with it. I honestly can't imagine going through life never being satisfied. Enjoy miseryville dude.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to tanbass's comment:

No, he's just trolling for reactions & responses. He got want he asked for....a statement...and a great statement at that. Almost everyone I heard talking about it in the media thinks BB did a great job, and went beyond the call of duty.

What a shocker that rkarp still isn't happy with it. I honestly can't imagine going through life never being satisfied. Enjoy miseryville dude.....

Seems to me he just doesn't like BB or the Krafts for whatever reason. The tenor of all his posts seem to carry some type of animosity towards the orginization.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I make a concerted effort to be rational and balanced in my view of the Pats (not easy for a diehard Pats fan).  Similarly, I make a concerted effort to be civil in what I post here. I must confess, however, that I am having difficulty remaining civil in responding to rkarp in this thread.

rkarp, you profess to be a media professional - I take you at your word.  But I'm forced to ask what exactly happened in the past that has compromised your objectivity?  Were you the guy BB threw out of the way when he was walking across the field to shake Mangini's hand? Did BB humiliate you in a press conference once? Did Robert Kraft not include you in some media event at some point and hurt your feelings? Did some contract security guard not recognize your media credential?  I mean, seriously, what??  I ask because your post above is probably one of the most cynical and unprofessional assertions I've ever seen supposedly coming from somone in your profession.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I make a concerted effort to be rational and balanced in my view of the Pats (not easy for a diehard Pats fan).  Similarly, I make a concerted effort to be civil in what I post here. I must confess, however, that I am having difficulty remaining civil in responding to rkarp in this thread.

rkarp, you profess to be a media professional - I take you at your word.  But I'm forced to ask what exactly happened in the past that has compromised your objectivity?  Were you the guy BB threw out of the way when he was walking across the field to shake Mangini's hand? Did BB humiliate you in a press conference once? Did Robert Kraft not include you in some media event at some point and hurt your feelings? Did some contract security guard not recognize your media credential?  I mean, seriously, what??  I ask because your post above is probably one of the most cynical and unprofessional assertions I've ever seen supposedly coming from somone in your profession.  

ATJ. I am not a journalist. I am in video. Big difference. Unfortunately, this job is a lot of waiting around. Covering a team like the Pats, there are numerous other people waiting around, and the majority of them are journalists. We all shoot the breeze when we are not working. I also work for an organization that has the personel to dig into stories. So people, rightfully so, are digging.

If you were indeed objective as you say, how can you not see the discrepencies?

What are they digging?

1) Urban Meyer knew about the shootings in Fla. The Fla police knew about the shootings. It is theoretically impossible pre draft that the Pats did not question Meyer or the Fla police about Hern. Either the police and Meyer did not divulge the information, or you can then draw your own conclusions

2) The Pats employ and ex BPD officer and an ex Mass constable sherriff. Either they did not ask the BPD about Hern, or the BPD with held that info (police talk off the record more than athletes and journalists), or you can draw your own conclusions

3) The NFL has a team of ex FBI agents on staff, with its primary responsabilities drugs (not PEDS) and gang affiliations....either the Pats did not ask questions to the NFL, or you can draw your own conclusions...

I am not labeling anyone a liar. Listening to others discuss the issues, one plus one do not add up...and people are checking it out, thinking there is more to it.

Simple as that.

I was not shoved out of the way by BB when he had "the handshake"...but I was on the Reiss/Borges along with Brandt live feed in on OTL last night. I also ended a very long day/night at the Joe Maddon press conference. I didnt see most of the game, but apparently David Price is back to being dominant.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

I posted after yesterdays press conference that I thought BB gave his best press conference, maybe ever. Look back at yesterdays postings.

To sit here and say the Pats security and personel staff dropped the ball might not be correct.

There is a story here, not initiated by me. Rather than be mad at me that people are looking into the story, why dont you wait for the facts to all come out, if there are any?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I posted after yesterdays press conference that I thought BB gave his best press conference, maybe ever. Look back at yesterdays postings.

To sit here and say the Pats security and personel staff dropped the ball might not be correct.

There is a story here, not initiated by me. Rather than be mad at me that people are looking into the story, why dont you wait for the facts to all come out, if there are any?

Urban Meyer tweeted a couple of weeks ago that AH's problems at UF were "relatively minor". Meyer said that Hernandez' number of failed drug tests were "exaggerated".   Hernandez' college coach said that he was involved in a failed test for pot and an argument in a bar.  He said he played there for 3 years and was a good player.

You choose to ignore what Meyer tweeted and have said that Meyer knew about Hernandez involvement in a 2007 shooting and must have told the Pats brass about it.  Com'on man!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

Urban Meyer tweeted a couple of weeks ago that AH's problems at UF were "relatively minor". Meyer said that Hernandez' number of failed drug tests were "exaggerated".   Hernandez' college coach said that he was involved in a failed test for pot and an argument in a bar.  He said he played there for 3 years and was a good player.

You choose to ignore what Meyer tweeted and have said that Meyer knew about Hernandez involvement in a 2007 shooting and must have told the Pats brass about it.  Com'on man!

it has been reported in numerous places including the WSJ, ESPN and the NYT, that Hern was implicated in a shooting of 2 people in Fla along with Reggie Nelson. (the Pounceys were also there). Police reports were filed. The victim identified Hern. Herns name was on the police report (copies of the report were shown on ESPN).

10 days after the shooting, the victim dropped the charges. The Univ of Fla told the police department that they would internally handle any punishment of the players.

1) if the Univ of Fla was handling punishment, did Meyer know about it (4 of his players were involved)

2) if there was a police report filed, and the WSJ, NYT and ESPN found it, was the report available to NFL teams when Hern was drafted?   

Repeat, I am not calling anyone a liar, but speculation has always been that Meyer did not leave UFL for his health, he was forced out, even though he won championships...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

it has been reported in numerous places including the WSJ, ESPN and the NYT, that Hern was implicated in a shooting of 2 people in Fla along with Reggie Nelson. (the Pounceys were also there). Police reports were filed. The victim identified Hern. Herns name was on the police report (copies of the report were shown on ESPN).

10 days after the shooting, the victim dropped the charges. The Univ of Fla told the police department that they would internally handle any punishment of the players.

1) if the Univ of Fla was handling punishment, did Meyer know about it (4 of his players were involved)

2) if there was a police report filed, and the WSJ, NYT and ESPN found it, was the report available to NFL teams when Hern was drafted?   

Repeat, I am not calling anyone a liar, but speculation has always been that Meyer did not leave UFL for his health, he was forced out, even though he won championships...

A couple of things:  The police report said the players were questioned as witnesses.   No UF player was charged.

Second was the point of my post.  You previously said that Meyer must have told the Pats about Hernandez problems.  My position is that what Meyer is saying publicly is what he told the Pats, even if Meyer doesn't believe it himself.

Btw, I love the WSJ sports section :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

why dont you wait for the facts to all come out, if there are any?

Hmmm...shouldn't you do the same before painting the Pats organization in a negative light on a daily basis?

You got your statement...and it was a good one. Yet, here you are speculating that there is a bigtime cover-up with the entire drafting and back ground checking of AH.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Hmmm...shouldn't you do the same before painting the Pats organization in a negative light on a daily basis?

You got your statement...and it was a good one. Yet, here you are speculating that there is a bigtime cover-up with the entire drafting and back ground checking of AH.

I am not painting. I am informing that others are working that angle.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

ATJ. I am not a journalist. I am in video. Big difference. Unfortunately, this job is a lot of waiting around. Covering a team like the Pats, there are numerous other people waiting around, and the majority of them are journalists. We all shoot the breeze when we are not working. I also work for an organization that has the personel to dig into stories. So people, rightfully so, are digging.

What are they digging?

1) Urban Meyer knew about the shootings in Fla. The Fla police knew about the shootings. It is theoretically impossible pre draft that the Pats did not question Meyer or the Fla police about Hern. Either the police and Meyer did not divulge the information, or you can then draw your own conclusions

2) The Pats employ and ex BPD officer and an ex Mass constable sherriff. Either they did not ask the BPD about Hern, or the BPD with held that info (police talk off the record more than athletes and journalists), or you can draw your own conclusions

3) The NFL has a team of ex FBI agents on staff, with its primary responsabilities drugs (not PEDS) and gang affiliations....either the Pats did not ask questions to the NFL, or you can draw your own conclusions...

I am not labeling anyone a liar. Listening to others discuss the issues, one plus one do not add up...and people are checking it out, thinking there is more to it.

Simple as that.

I was not shoved out of the way by BB when he had "the handshake"...but I was on the Reiss/Borges along with Brandt live feed in on OTL last night. I also ended a very long day/night at the Joe Maddon press conference. I didnt see most of the game, but apparently David Price is back to being dominant.

Thanks for the reply.  To be clear, I never claimed objectivity.  What I did assert is that I attempt to be rational and balanced.  As diehard a Pats fan as I am, I can't really be objective.  

With respect to your points, the Pats may very well have known about the Florida issues.  I don't believe that either BB or Kraft denied that they did.  BB alluded to making assessments based on info that is available from a variety of sources.  The question that BB responded to yesterday, if I recall correctly, was the double homicide last year and I do not believe that the Pats were aware of any suspected Hern involvement.

If the NFL does in fact employ ex-FBI agents who track down gang affiliations I seriously doubt that they would have waited for an inquiry from the Pats before sharing that info, if they knew about Hern's gang relationships.  

Truly, you've drawn your own conclusions (as we all do) based largely on speculation (some of us do, some of us don't).  In my opinion, for the most part, BB was being candid yesterday.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

nother day, another Aaron Hernandez story: ESPN's Kelly Naqi, writing under the Outside the Lines aegis, reported early Wednesday that Massachusetts police reached out to the Gainesville Police Department to determine what role Hernandez had in a 2007 shooting in Gainesville.

Naqi's report also extensively referenced a police report about that shooting, which GPD Public Information Officer Ben Tobias initially wrote was not released to the public, before clarifying that it was "released in error by a clerk." The report is now public record, and you can read it on the Gainesville Police Department website (PDF) or in the embedded window at the bottom of this post.

The important, one-read details:

• Former Florida player Reggie Nelson and Hernandez were both identified to police by Randall Cason, a witness of the early morning shootings of Corey Smith and Jeremy Glass on September 30, 2007 as involved parties in the shooting.
    • Cason also indicated that Nelson's black Chevy Tahoe was involved in the incident, but that Nelson "did not have the gun, he was just there." (Nelson's SUV is identified as both a Chevy Tahoe and a GMC Denali in the report.)
    • Cason told police that Nelson and a "Hawaiian" man approached the Ford Crown Victoria he and the two victims of the shooting were in, that the "Hawaiian" man fired approximately five shots into the vehicle, and that both people fled after the shooting.
    • A bullet struck Smith in the head, causing a life-threatening injury, and Glass in the arm. Both victims survived, and the investigation is thus classified as an attempted murder.
    • Nelson, then a member of the Jacksonville Jaguars, denied involvement in the shooting, but told police that on the night of September 30, while at Gainesville nightclub The Venue, Hernandez told him of an incident in which one of the Pounceys (Nelson cannot tell them apart, he told police) had a necklace stolen by Cason, which one of the Pounceys later corroborated. Nelson additionally told police that he had a conversation with Cason at The Venue, which ended with Cason saying the necklace had been given away, and that he was not present at the site of the shooting.
    • Hernandez — whose name is redacted in the report, as he was a 17-year-old juvenile at the time of the shooting and investigation, but who is presumably the person referred to as "Hawaiian" throughout the report — invoked his right to counsel when contacted by police.
    • When re-interviewed by police on the evening of September 30, Cason rescinded his identifications of Nelson and Hernandez.

There's a lot to read here, and it sounds like there was, for sure, a chain snatched off one of the Pounceys, but my reading suggests there's nothing concrete connecting that chain-snatching and the shooting. Cason rescinding his identifications of Nelson and Hernandez probably did plenty to help scuttle a full investigation into the case, which remains open, but it is a puzzling note in the investigation report, and is probably more fully explained in a report that is alluded to but not included in GPD's release of the full report.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to tanbass's comment:

He also says in his first bullet point that it is "theoretically impossible" for BB to not have known of the Hernandez suspected involvement in the 2007 shooting the Pounceys. 

Well, if it wasn't public record or nothing came of it, wouldn't one think the other way, that he wouldn't have known?

the issue is that Meyer most likely told him. The 2nd issue is if ESPN, WSJ, NYT found the police record, why didnt the Pats security?

Every single argument RKrap makes is the one that tries to make BB look the worst.  He's a troll deluxe.

Russ, use your 152 IQ. Use your photographic memory. Go back into the BDC archives under your 20 aliases. Go find anywhere that I have been critical of BB as a coach. Anywhere. My criticism has been regarding his free agency decisions, and his treatment of the media. I also thought he should have spoken sooner on the Hern situation. Go find ANYTHING where I have been critical of BB as a coach.  

I don't believe a word of what his garbage self says from his Harvard MBA to who he claims he rubs elbows with as he plugs cables into an ESPN truck.

I have never said otherwise regarding my work. You are the one that asked me about my education. I simply answered. If you think I am a liar, why do you follow me around here and make a fool of yourself?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

I think the underlying statement is:  "in the future, never draft the thugs that U. Meyers protects and recommends". 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

What are they digging?

Simple as that.

Thanks for the reply.  To be clear, I never claimed objectivity.  What I did assert is that I attempt to be rational and balanced.  As diehard a Pats fan as I am, I can't really be objective.  

With respect to your points, the Pats may very well have known about the Florida issues.  I don't believe that either BB or Kraft denied that they did.  BB alluded to making assessments based on info that is available from a variety of sources.  The question that BB responded to yesterday, if I recall correctly, was the double homicide last year and I do not believe that the Pats were aware of any suspected Hern involvement.

If the NFL does in fact employ ex-FBI agents who track down gang affiliations I seriously doubt that they would have waited for an inquiry from the Pats before sharing that info, if they knew about Hern's gang relationships.  

Truly, you've drawn your own conclusions (as we all do) based largely on speculation (some of us do, some of us don't).  In my opinion, for the most part, BB was being candid yesterday.   

Why do you treat RKrap like he isn't a troll? Don't fall for his garbage. You're too smart for that, ATJ.

His speculation and ESPN namedropping he plays off as truth and fact.  It's also not his job as some video coordinator dork at ESPN to decided what the truth is. 

I repeat, he works for ESPN.  The Pats, Kraft, BB could not have handled the Hern thing any better, and Ray Lewis will be walking down the hall past RKrap this Fall.

The hypocrisy is so over the top, I don't think I've ever seen a bigger hypocrite than RKrap in my life.

Russ, I am in Bristol 2-3 times a month, if that.

But, Ray will be at Gillette over the weekend...big ESPN presence here the next few days....you should come over and introduce yourself. Oh yeah, you havent been to the stadium inalmost 20 years...yet youa re an expert...BWahahahahaha!

Move along Russ, nothing for you to see or comment on here. You have no credibility

Sections
Shortcuts