The Chargers are sweating

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

The Chargers are sweating

San Diego Chargers general manager A.J. Smith has regularly articulated his admiration for the Patriots and their consistent winning ways, which is why he viewed two major offseason moves with particular interest.When former Patriots vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli was named general manager of the Kansas City Chiefs, and former New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels became head coach of the Denver Broncos, Smith knew what it meant.The AFC West, owned by the Chargers in recent years, suddenly had a Patriotlike flair to it.

"I consider it a direct threat to us," Smith said, "and I don't like it."

Looks like Jbolts boys are a little worried about the new faces in the West. AJ Smith is right to be worried, while overconfident fans like Jbolt might not show us the proper respect at least their owner knows what's up. So Jbolt can make all the excuses he wants for why he is not worried about Pioloi or McDanials but the people who matter in SD are worried and rightfully so. So what say you Jbolt?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Re: The Chargers are sweating

Haha ... no one replied to your post.

Nah I'm just kiddin, you're alright. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Yea i thought at least Jbolt would post lol I guess teh Chargers being scared of the Pats is not very new news haha

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

The Charger team, nor its fan base, are worried about the turmoiled Broncos or the stagnant Chefs. The only team that warrants concern is the physical Pittsburgh Steelers. Teams that did not win a playoff game last year are longshots at best. 

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jun/11/chargers-turner-believes-players-primed173118/?chargers

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

[QUOTE]The Charger team, nor its fan base, are worried about the turmoiled Broncos or the stagnant Chefs. The only team that warrants concern is the physical Pittsburgh Steelers. Teams that did not win a playoff game last year are longshots at best.  http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jun/11/chargers-turner-believes-players-primed173118/?chargers
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

With the new developments in Denver (i.e. the Marshall "soap-opera"), I'll agree they should be on top of their division. But they should not be too overconfident. That is what happened in 06 (and again in 07), and they failed to make it to the big show. They also need to address their own defense. Though they seem to have the Colts number, the AFC is a very competitive conference. And I can remember NE having the same power over Indy, but that changed. In any case, no team should be "sweating" another...not if they expect to be championship caliber. But neither should they be too cocky! We've seen that backfire times beyond count.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Jbolt can run his mouth all he wants but the owner of his team is sweating the new faces in the AFC West. He is a guy that counts, who actually has something to do with the football team and he is sweating these guys so Jbolt can deny it all he wants but teh SD Chargers are afraid of losing their grip on the p iss poor AFC West. And foprget the Brandon Marshall stuff, there is no way he gets traded after they just bounced Cutler. It will die down and he will play out his contract.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I agree they won't trade Marshall. Unless they get a really sweet deal...which, IMO, would have to include obtaining a top tier WR to replace him. The kid really has no leverage, and no matter how WR-starved they are, teams will think twice due to Marshall's off the field issues. I doubt anyone will be willing to fork over $9 mil/year for someone who may be suspended. Unless Al Davis has that much cap space left.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

All I am saying is in the words of Paulie from teh Rocky movies "I dont sweat you" I dont sweat anyone, when Bill Parcells came to the Phins and into the AFC East I could have cared less because Parcells is not Belichick and thats the way I see it. I dont sweat Rex Ryan or Sanchez or T.O. and the Bills. The Pats can beat any team on any given sunday so I dont sweat anyone. And Jbolt might feel the same way but his team owner sure as h ell doesnt cause he is sweating the new face sin his div. I dont think Bob Kraft lost any sleep over Parcells coming to the East but then again he has belichick and not Norv Turner, if Kraft ahd Turner as his head coach maybe he would have been worried the way AJ Smith is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]The Charger team, nor its fan base, are worried about the turmoiled Broncos or the stagnant Chefs. The only team that warrants concern is the physical Pittsburgh Steelers. Teams that did not win a playoff game last year are longshots at best.  http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jun/11/chargers-turner-believes-players-primed173118/?chargers

Umm, that isn't what the owner is saying. As he might have a smidgen more insight into the actually team, I am going to believe him over you.

What are your thoughts on .500 teams making the playoffs two years in a row?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]All I am saying is in the words of Paulie from teh Rocky movies "I dont sweat you" I dont sweat anyone, when Bill Parcells came to the Phins and into the AFC East I could have cared less because Parcells is not Belichick and thats the way I see it. I dont sweat Rex Ryan or Sanchez or T.O. and the Bills. The Pats can beat any team on any given sunday so I dont sweat anyone. And Jbolt might feel the same way but his team owner sure as h ell doesnt cause he is sweating the new face sin his div. I dont think Bob Kraft lost any sleep over Parcells coming to the East but then again he has belichick and not Norv Turner, if Kraft ahd Turner as his head coach maybe he would have been worried the way AJ Smith is.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

the former AZ Card OC Haley, nor Josh; are the scariest matchup for the Charger D. especially with the rosters in KC & DEN. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

[QUOTE]the former AZ Card OC Haley, nor Josh; are the scariest matchup for the Charger D. especially with the rosters in KC & DEN. 

Unless the Chargers defense improves quite a bit, even an NCAA offense will be a "scary matchup" for them! I know you'll say Merriman will set them straight, but we don't know how he'll be after such a serious injury.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fargo. Show Fargo's posts

Whistling past the graveyard. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'm starting to like the first McDaniels move.  Orton isn't Cutler this year, but he's brainy and coachable.  Jay Cutler just slings it and will never get better.

Marshall is a holdover from Shanahan.  He's an utter jerk and a clubhouse messup, but at least he can catch a football.  McDaniels might let him go for undercompensating draft choices, or he might play out Marshall's contract and then let him loose.

As for Pioli, Cassel brings a limited amount of quick cred.  Cassel knows the Patriots' system, Cassel can move in the pocket now, Cassel hits the throws. 

Neither team will be hitting on all cylinders early in the year, because they're installing new defenses, new quarterbacks and new coaches.  I give Sandy Eggo two bunny games early.  Those later games might get tough, though.

The Oakland Raiders are just plain gift-wrapped to the rest of the AFC West. 

So, yes, San Diego should stagger into the playoffs on the strength of being in the bunny patch division (11-29 outside their division) this year. 

New England and the rest of the AFC East must play three tough divisions: their own (26-14 outside their divison), the AFC South (26-14 outside their division) and the NFC South (28-12 outside their division).  Only New England catches a break, as they don't have to play the Patriots twice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I agree Orton is a guy who can be coached into a better player he is brainy and a hard worker. Plus guys like him know that their starting job is earned not given so he will keep working hard to keep his job. I heard Aj Smith brings an extra shirts with him everywhere he goes now adays because he has been sweating right through his first shirt on a daily bais thinking about the new faces in his div lol

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

--"Only New England catches a break, as they don't have to play the Patriots twice." --

chuckle

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rimfire. Show Rimfire's posts

I think it's interesting that one of the "knocks" on the Pats success in recent years from jealous fans of other teams has been the "easy-ride" they got being in the poor (talent-wise) AFC east.  Now the Chargers are in the AFC west-arguably the worst division in football, and despite the fact both teams lost some important players to injury last year and that the AFC east clearly was tougher, the Chargers only managed an 8-8 record, while the Pats W-L record was 11-5.  Granted the Chargers managed to make the play-offs (pretty much by default) and the Pats missed the play-offs despite a much better record on a tie-breaker, but I would say AJ Smith has good reason to be concerned.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

I think he is being honest about his respect but, in terms of a true “threat” that’s just being PC. 

The Patriots model has been more than just successful; other teams want to adopt it.  He's being up front about that.

However, I don't think he's shaking in his boots.  The Pats model worked, partially, because the team achieved success quickly and during a tumultuous season.  After 2001 players had no choice but to logically buy in.  Other coaches who have left have not been able to implement the policies as effectively and clearly that would be on his mind as well.  Just consider the fact that he, AJ Smith, hasn’t landed any former Pats personnel in San Diego when you review his thought process.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]I'm starting to like the first McDaniels move.  Orton isn't Cutler this year, but he's brainy and coachable.  Jay Cutler just slings it and will never get better. Marshall is a holdover from Shanahan.  He's an utter jerk and a clubhouse messup, but at least he can catch a football.  McDaniels might let him go for undercompensating draft choices, or he might play out Marshall's contract and then let him loose. As for Pioli, Cassel brings a limited amount of quick cred.  Cassel knows the Patriots' system, Cassel can move in the pocket now, Cassel hits the throws.  Neither team will be hitting on all cylinders early in the year, because they're installing new defenses, new quarterbacks and new coaches.  I give Sandy Eggo two bunny games early.  Those later games might get tough, though. The Oakland Raiders are just plain gift-wrapped to the rest of the AFC West.  So, yes, San Diego should stagger into the playoffs on the strength of being in the bunny patch division (11-29 outside their division) this year.  New England and the rest of the AFC East must play three tough divisions: their own (26-14 outside their divison), the AFC South (26-14 outside their division) and the NFC South (28-12 outside their division).  Only New England catches a break, as they don't have to play the Patriots twice.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

Umm, hello, do you not remember the famous words of Mr. Al Davis, "Jamarcus Russell is a great football player. Get over it."

With that, the Raiders are only partially gift-wrapped.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dead54. Show Dead54's posts

[QUOTE]Umm, hello, do you not remember the famous words of Mr. Al Davis, "Jamarcus Russell is a great football player. Get over it." With that, the Raiders are only partially gift-wrapped.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

Sad thing is, a competent owner would start Garcia over the big bust.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

You Think, Maybe, he was purposely being overly complimentary?  Maybe a little?  Maybe?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fish-ugly. Show fish-ugly's posts

Not to nit-pick, but during the Patriot's championship run so far, the AFC East has only been a truly "weak" division for 2 to 3 years.  Prior to that, the Bills and the Dolphins were very tough and the Jets competitive.

I believe, additionally,  that when they went 16-0 they did so against a schedule rated as the most -- or the 2nd most -- difficult in the NFL. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]I think it's interesting that one of the "knocks" on the Pats success in recent years from jealous fans of other teams has been the "easy-ride" they got being in the poor (talent-wise) AFC east.  Now the Chargers are in the AFC west-arguably the worst division in football, and despite the fact both teams lost some important players to injury last year and that the AFC east clearly was tougher, the Chargers only managed an 8-8 record, while the Pats W-L record was 11-5.  Granted the Chargers managed to make the play-offs (pretty much by default) and the Pats missed the play-offs despite a much better record on a tie-breaker, but I would say AJ Smith has good reason to be concerned.
    Posted by Rimfire[/QUOTE]

Rimfire,

NO playoffs wins for the AFC EAST, SD won a game with an injured roster. Default my a ss, the Chargers ran the table in December just like NE. Whoever won the head-to-head matchup was in the playoffs. SD kicked the cr apOut of NE, Chargers deserved to be in the Patriots did not.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

All:

I think AJ Smith is trying to pull a Brer Rabbit-style "please do anything you want to me, Brer Fox...but please don't throw me in the briar patch" tactic on KC and Denver.

An egomaniac like AJ Smith is way too proud of the team he put together and of his own ability as a manager - that he could care less what his divisional foes do.

AJ probably thinks that what happened last season was a mere blip in the "glorious saga" that is his story (yes, a legend in his own mind) that he can't wait to beat up on his currently rebuilding divisional rivals.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

NO playoffs wins for the AFC EAST, SD won a game with an injured roster.

That's not saying much. The Chargers beat the Colts in the playoffs. That's not been the hardest thing to do in the last nine times Indy has made the postseason. Even the one time they went all the way, they beat a KC team who couldn't produce a point starting first and goal from the nine, a Ravens team with no offense (by five AV FGs), and against the second and third string NE defense. Then got Rex Grossman in the SB! Had the Patriots won the tiebreaker the situation may have been different. And don't forget that the SD win over NE came in Cassel's fourth NFL start. He was playing much better by the end of the season. Also, quit crying about injuries! NE had more starters on IR than any other team...including the QB who set all the records the previous season!

SD kicked the cr apOut of NE, Chargers deserved to be in the Patriots did not.

Last I heard making the playoffs was determined by W-L records, not head to head. NE had a three game advantage over SD in that department. Also, don't forget in 01 the Rams won in Foxboro yet lost the SB a couple months later. In 04 the Steelers "kicked the c r a p" out of NE but lost to them in the AFCCG. Check out BB's record the second time he plays a team in the same season! You are talking out of your a s s once again!

Sections
Shortcuts