The Chargers are sweating

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: The Chargers are sweating

[QUOTE]The Charger team, nor its fan base, are worried about the turmoiled Broncos or the stagnant Chefs. The only team that warrants concern is the physical Pittsburgh Steelers. Teams that did not win a playoff game last year are longshots at best.  http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jun/11/chargers-turner-believes-players-primed173118/?chargers
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

The Patriots did not make the playoffs last season. So, naturally, they too did not win a playoff game. Are you seriously arguing that the Pats are therefore "a longshot at best"...and do not "warrant concern"?

LOL!! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Just JBolt being his usual shortsided self, TPat! I mean, he's linking an article about NORV! Although he should be an experts on "longshots", I'm sure he's just trotting out the company line...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]NO playoffs wins for the AFC EAST, SD won a game with an injured roster. That's not saying much. The Chargers beat the Colts in the playoffs. That's not been the hardest thing to do in the last nine times Indy has made the postseason. Even the one time they went all the way, they beat a KC team who couldn't produce a point starting first and goal from the nine, a Ravens team with no offense (by five AV FGs), and against the second and third string NE defense. Then got Rex Grossman in the SB! Had the Patriots won the tiebreaker the situation may have been different. And don't forget that the SD win over NE came in Cassel's fourth NFL start. He was playing much better by the end of the season. Also, quit crying about injuries! NE had more starters on IR than any other team...including the QB who set all the records the previous season! SD kicked the cr apOut of NE, Chargers deserved to be in the Patriots did not. Last I heard making the playoffs was determined by W-L records, not head to head. NE had a three game advantage over SD in that department. Also, don't forget in 01 the Rams won in Foxboro yet lost the SB a couple months later. In 04 the Steelers "kicked the c r a p" out of NE but lost to them in the AFCCG. Check out BB's record the second time he plays a team in the same season! You are talking out of your a s s once again!
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

Wow - bub what a whiny excuse ridden post.  What happened to the New England Plug and Play Patriots when the colts won.  Remember the pats are sooo deep that it doesn't matter who is injured. 

Why is it that every win a pats team earns is a david vs. goliath masterpiece while each loss can be unequivicably be defended by solid reasoning.  This fan base so frequently sells its team short in wins to make them seem larger its pathetic. 

By the way -  a small dose of reality for all.  San Diego can only brag about wins vs other teams, because it has no superbowl with which to shine.  The pats haven't won an SB since 05 and the colts haven't won since 06.  None of us really have much to crow about, the least of which is San Diego.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]Not to nit-pick, but during the Patriot's championship run so far, the AFC East has only been a truly "weak" division for 2 to 3 years.  Prior to that, the Bills and the Dolphins were very tough and the Jets competitive. I believe, additionally,  that when they went 16-0 they did so against a schedule rated as the most -- or the 2nd most -- difficult in the NFL. 
    Posted by fish-ugly[/QUOTE]

I am not sure that is true.  Going into the 2007 season, the Pats had one of the easiest schedules in the NFL based on the 2006 season.  I am not sure how tough the season was after the season ended.

Now I know that the last time the Pats won the SB, in 2004, they had something like the 3rd most difficult schedule of all Super Bowl winners.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Wow - bub what a whiny excuse ridden post.  What happened to the New England Plug and Play Patriots when the colts won.  Remember the pats are sooo deep that it doesn't matter who is injured. 

If this isn't the "pot calling the kettle black"! It's always been your M.O. to blame injuries and/or a weak defense for your team's failures. But I'm not using it as an excuse, merely pointing out a fact. In the 06 AFCCG indeed the number of backups contributed to their second half collapse. Which brings me back to the point which I made in the earlier post. While NE has (arguably) had the best track record of being able to win with backups, sometimes it's simply not enough. That is how it is in the NFL. With a 53 man roster and a salary cap, no team can possibly have an unlimited supply of players who can step in with no adverse effect. That's what "parity" is all about, not being able to use superior resources to build a bullet-proof team. Like I said, NE has had some success in the past doing so, but has come up short a few times also. And though some people may have stated they could substitute anyone and still win, I was never one who claimed this. But you have to admit, most teams losing that many starters would have a difficult time merely acheiving a .500 record, no matter how well they did the previous season.

Why is it that every win a pats team earns is a david vs. goliath masterpiece while each loss can be unequivicably be defended by solid reasoning.  This fan base so frequently sells its team short in wins to make them seem larger its pathetic. 

There haven't really been any "David vs. Goliath" wins for NE in years. Back in 01 (and possibly early in 03) they were indeed "underdogs". But since then they have been pretty much the most successful franchise in the league. You are referring to ancient history here, as since that time most of the fans (at least here) consider the Patriots to be frontrunners (which seems also to anger you). What I wonder about is the fact that, despite our being "pathetic", you still insist on coming here and dealing with people you obviously consider to be full of it. Do you really have that much of a superiority complex, or do you just enjoy "slumming"?

By the way -  a small dose of reality for all.  San Diego can only brag about wins vs other teams, because it has no superbowl with which to shine.  The pats haven't won an SB since 05 and the colts haven't won since 06.  None of us really have much to crow about, the least of which is San Diego.

Now there's a statement which we can agree on, mostly. The only exception being that all three teams have consistently done well. Add the Steelers into the mix and they are the four most successful teams the last four years, with Indy @ 55-16; NE @ 54-18; Pittsburgh @ 48-24; and SD @ 45-25. So while no team has won the title every year, all four certainly can "crow" more than most other fanbases! If you consider winning it all the only reason to brag, I suppose we all should S T F U except for Steelers fans!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]There haven't really been any "David vs. Goliath" wins for NE in years. Back in 01 (and possibly early in 03) they were indeed "underdogs". But since then they have been pretty much the most successful franchise in the league. You are referring to ancient history here, as since that time most of the fans (at least here) consider the Patriots to be frontrunners (which seems also to anger you). W

+1

I can't remember the last time I thought before a game that the Patriots might not win. I think it was against the Colts to start the 2004 season, but I am not sure. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]Rimfire, NO playoffs wins for the AFC EAST, SD won a game with an injured roster. Default my a ss, the Chargers ran the table in December just like NE. Whoever won the head-to-head matchup was in the playoffs. SD kicked the cr apOut of NE, Chargers deserved to be in the Patriots did not.

So, they were 4-8 before "running the table". Whatever gets you through the night.

I have to ask - Do you really believe what you are writing or are you just trying to get under the skin of Pats' fans? 

The absolute only way the Chargers even got into the playoffs last year is because the NFL decided long ago that each division needs to have a winner and the winner gets in. I bet when they were writing the rules, someone raised his hand and asked "Well, what happens if we get a .500 team that wins the division?" and everyone else laughed it off as the joke it was. "There is no way a .500 team could ever win the division in pro football." the owners chuckled shaking their heads.

They just couldn't foresee a time when no team wanted to win the division as happened in the AFC West last season. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]     The Patriots did not make the playoffs last season. So, naturally, they too did not win a playoff game. Are you seriously arguing that the Pats are therefore "a longshot at best"...and do not "warrant concern"?      LOL!! 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

No, I'm just sick of dismissing the Chargers STRONGER finish that goes on here.
    The Chargers were a better team than the Patriots last year & still are. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]Wow - bub what a whiny excuse ridden post.  What happened to the New England Plug and Play Patriots when the colts won.  Remember the pats are sooo deep that it doesn't matter who is injured.  Why is it that every win a pats team earns is a david vs. goliath masterpiece while each loss can be unequivicably be defended by solid reasoning.  This fan base so frequently sells its team short in wins to make them seem larger its pathetic.  By the way -  a small dose of reality for all.  San Diego can only brag about wins vs other teams, because it has no superbowl with which to shine.  The pats haven't won an SB since 05 and the colts haven't won since 06.  None of us really have much to crow about, the least of which is San Diego.
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

That's why I referenced only the SB Champ Steelers prior to the SD downplay.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Do you really believe what you are writing or are you just trying to get under the skin of Pats' fans? 

YES & YES

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

[QUOTE]Do you really believe what you are writing or are you just trying to get under the skin of Pats' fans?  YES & YES

Ahhh  kohai, you are truly in mid-season form and fettle....and AJ Smith trying to be Brer Rabbit to Scott Pioli's Brer Fox....and training camp hasn't even opened yet.....yes, SD should be the class of the AFC Weak er West....however, I think their window of opportunity to win the SB is narrowing....you will ask: why sempai? because in addition to its usual obstacles of NE and Indy, SD has to consider the Steelers and even the Titans (assuming they become consistent winners)....and that's simply on the AFC side....then, if you cross the breach at Badajoz and reach the SB.....you'll have to contend with such teams as the Giants, Eagles, or the Cowboys (assuming the 'Boyz don't implode of course).

Yes, kohai.....it will be a very interesting season.

Best regards,

Your devoted Sempai

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]No, I'm just sick of dismissing the Chargers STRONGER finish that goes on here. The Chargers were a better team than the Patriots last year & still are. 

It is at this point where I tell you that the Pats also won their last 4 games so, NO, the Chargers did not have a stronger finish. They just played in an extremely, and I mean extremely, weak division.

And, 11-5 is a better record than 8-8. 

So, what point are you trying to make again? Just exactly where are the Chargers a better team? In their division? The Pats beat all the Charger's division "rivals" last year, too. 

Please come back when you can make a point that you can back up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

[QUOTE]It is at this point where I tell you that the Pats also won their last 4 games so, NO, the Chargers did not have a stronger finish. They just played in an extremely, and I mean extremely, weak division. And, 11-5 is a better record than 8-8.  So, what point are you trying to make again? Just exactly where are the Chargers a better team? In their division? The Pats beat all the Charger's division "rivals" last year, too.  Please come back when you can make a point that you can back up.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

His only basis of claiming SD to be better was the head to head win in week five...Cassel's fourth start in the NFL. But I'm sure there are quite a few instances of a team who was, say, 2-10 beating a team who finished 12-4 and went on to win the SB. Any given Sunday! The fact that NE lost the tiebreaker in a much stronger division (38-26 compared to 23-41) and didn't get to the postseason helps his very weak argument. We all know how well the Chargers have done against NE in the playoffs. I've also brought up the fact that NE lost to the Rams in 01 and the Steelers in 04, yet eliminated them both in postseason play. Not to mention BB's record when playing a team for the second time in a season. But he is set in his bias, and not only disregards these facts, but refuses to even discuss them. I have to admire his team loyalty, although I would not choose him to be on my team in a debate!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]It is at this point where I tell you that the Pats also won their last 4 games so, NO, the Chargers did not have a stronger finish. They just played in an extremely, and I mean extremely, weak division. And, 11-5 is a better record than 8-8.  So, what point are you trying to make again? Just exactly where are the Chargers a better team? In their division? The Pats beat all the Charger's division "rivals" last year, too.  Please come back when you can make a point that you can back up.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

THE POINT: SD BEAT NE 30-10 after being up 30-3. SD WON A PLAYOFF GAME, YOUR ENTIRE DIVISION DID NOT. I THINK ITS THE AFC EAST THAT IS WEAK.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]His only basis of claiming SD to be better was the head to head win in week five...Cassel's fourth start in the NFL. But I'm sure there are quite a few instances of a team who was, say, 2-10 beating a team who finished 12-4 and went on to win the SB. Any given Sunday! The fact that NE lost the tiebreaker in a much stronger division (38-26 compared to 23-41) and didn't get to the postseason helps his very weak argument. We all know how well the Chargers have done against NE in the playoffs. I've also brought up the fact that NE lost to the Rams in 01 and the Steelers in 04, yet eliminated them both in postseason play. Not to mention BB's record when playing a team for the second time in a season. But he is set in his bias, and not only disregards these facts, but refuses to even discuss them. I have to admire his team loyalty, although I would not choose him to be on my team in a debate!

PLAYOFFS

ALL YOU HAD WAS A PUMPKIN

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

BUB - FIRST AND FOREMOST, DO NOT TAKE MY POSTS TOO SERIOUSLY.  I ENJOY THE BANTER.  NOW BACK TO IT

If this isn't the "pot calling the kettle black"! It's always been your M.O. to blame injuries and/or a weak defense for your team's failures. But I'm not using it as an excuse, merely pointing out a fact. In the 06 AFCCG indeed the number of backups contributed to their second half collapse. Which brings me back to the point which I made in the earlier post. While NE has (arguably) had the best track record of being able to win with backups, sometimes it's simply not enough. That is how it is in the NFL. With a 53 man roster and a salary cap, no team can possibly have an unlimited supply of players who can step in with no adverse effect. That's what "parity" is all about, not being able to use superior resources to build a bullet-proof team. Like I said, NE has had some success in the past doing so, but has come up short a few times also. And though some people may have stated they could substitute anyone and still win, I was never one who claimed this. But you have to admit, most teams losing that many starters would have a difficult time merely acheiving a .500 record, no matter how well they did the previous season.

WITHOUT SOUNDING LIKE A BROKEN RECORD, MY POINT IS WHEN I TRIED TO CLAIM WEAK DEFENSE AND INJURIES AS REASONS FOR A COLTS LOSS, I WAS ALWAYS MET WITH "THAT IS A POOR EXCUSE", ETC.  SO NOW I AM SIMPLY APPLYING PATS FAN LOGIC, AND IT APPEARS TO ME THAT PATS FANS IN GENERAL DO NOT APPRECIATE THAT.  THIS IS WHAT SOME CALL TAKING A BIT OF YOUR OWN MEDICINE.   

There haven't really been any "David vs. Goliath" wins for NE in years. Back in 01 (and possibly early in 03) they were indeed "underdogs". But since then they have been pretty much the most successful franchise in the league. You are referring to ancient history here, as since that time most of the fans (at least here) consider the Patriots to be frontrunners (which seems also to anger you). What I wonder about is the fact that, despite our being "pathetic", you still insist on coming here and dealing with people you obviously consider to be full of it. Do you really have that much of a superiority complex, or do you just enjoy "slumming"? 

NOT REALLY, SOME WANT TO REMIND EVERYONE OF HOW LITTLE THE PATS HAD IN OFFENSIVE TALENT UNTIL RANDY MOSS AND WES WELKER SHOWED UP.  OBVIOUSLY THOSE TWO HAVE TURNED YOUR RECEIVING CORPS INTO A TOP 2 OR 3 IN THE LEAGUE, BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOUR RECEIVERS WERE AWFUL BEFORE THEN. 

Now there's a statement which we can agree on, mostly. The only exception being that all three teams have consistently done well. Add the Steelers into the mix and they are the four most successful teams the last four years, with Indy @ 55-16; NE @ 54-18; Pittsburgh @ 48-24; and SD @ 45-25. So while no team has won the title every year, all four certainly can "crow" more than most other fanbases! If you consider winning it all the only reason to brag, I suppose we all should S T F U except for Steelers fans!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

[QUOTE]PLAYOFFS   ALL YOU HAD WAS A PUMPKIN

And that has exactly what to do with a Chargers vs. Patriots argument? As if beating the Colts (something even a Division II team could probably do in January) means anything? Believe what you like, but it is a weak argument. I posted the respective records of the two divisions. For you to claim the East was weaker than the West shows you are either deliberately trolling, or you are extremely stupid! I might point out (using your type of "logic") that the Chargers beat the 2-14 Chiefs twice by only one point!!! Such a "powerhouse" should be expected to win by at least 3 TDs, shouldn't they? This is getting boring. Maybe the idiots at SignOnSanDiego buy into this malarkey, but look at any poll or "power ranking". They all have NE ahead of your Chargers. So while you may live in that fantasy world, the majority of football fans and analysts do not. As if simple math isn't enough! Anyone with an IQ in double digits realizes 11-5 is better than 8-8, and the only reason the Chargers even made it to the playoffs is because of a collossal collapse by the Broncos. Please, do not waste your time responding. There are a lot more relevant threads here for me to be participating in!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]And that has exactly what to do with a Chargers vs. Patriots argument? As if beating the Colts (something even a Division II team could probably do in January) means anything? Believe what you like, but it is a weak argument. I posted the respective records of the two divisions. For you to claim the East was weaker than the West shows you are either deliberately trolling, or you are extremely stupid! I might point out (using your type of "logic") that the Chargers beat the 2-14 Chiefs twice by only one point!!! Such a " powerhouse " should be expected to win by at least 3 TDs, shouldn't they? This is getting boring. Maybe the idiots at SignOnSanDiego buy into this malarkey, but look at any poll or "power ranking". They all have NE ahead of your Chargers. So while you may live in that fantasy world, the majority of football fans and analysts do not. As if simple math isn't enough! Anyone with an IQ in double digits realizes 11-5 is better than 8-8, and the only reason the Chargers even made it to the playoffs is because of a collossal collapse by the Broncos. Please, do not waste your time responding. There are a lot more relevant threads here for me to be participating in!!!

Bub,
    Your team is coming a year of which all the patriot nation should be concerned with the quality of play. The amount of rooks & 2nd palyers w/out playoff experience will hurt come January. One, just one, hit on Brady could quite possibly be the end of the era (of which some people think ended 4 years ago).
    And coaching changes could mean a slow start too. In years past (the past 8) I would say automatic contention, this year, I say no. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]And that has exactly what to do with a Chargers vs. Patriots argument? As if beating the Colts (something even a Division II team could probably do in January) means anything? Believe what you like, but it is a weak argument. I posted the respective records of the two divisions. For you to claim the East was weaker than the West shows you are either deliberately trolling, or you are extremely stupid! I might point out (using your type of "logic") that the Chargers beat the 2-14 Chiefs twice by only one point!!! Such a " powerhouse " should be expected to win by at least 3 TDs, shouldn't they? This is getting boring. Maybe the idiots at SignOnSanDiego buy into this malarkey, but look at any poll or "power ranking". They all have NE ahead of your Chargers. So while you may live in that fantasy world, the majority of football fans and analysts do not. As if simple math isn't enough! Anyone with an IQ in double digits realizes 11-5 is better than 8-8, and the only reason the Chargers even made it to the playoffs is because of a collossal collapse by the Broncos. Please, do not waste your time responding. There are a lot more relevant threads here for me to be participating in!!!

3 times your team got beat by 20 or more, 4 times your team lost to playoff teams & the other was the JETS 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

-- "ALL YOU HAD WAS A PUMPKIN" --

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

What exactly was the Chargers margin of victory or loss versus the Broncos ? It wasn't that much. It's y the same story year after year with the Chargers: They have superior talent, yet manage to underachieve every year. When is Supercharger HQ going to realise that Norv has to go ? I agree that the AFC West might be superior to the AFC East (as long the overall record is discounted), and improvements have been made by the Broncos and Chiefs;however if you place SD in the Black and Blue North or the AFC South they would struggle to make the playoffs so its moot point to say one division is superior to another. The schedule is the schedule. It is what iit s. You get  two gimmes versus the Raiders and Chiefs and you split with Denver. Herm Edwards s--ks, he basically cost his team at least one win against the Chargers. Norv is supposed to be an offensive guru and yet, despite a plethora of offensive talent (Gates, Rivers, LT, Sproles, Jackson )he manages to attain a lofty 8-8 record. By contrast, Mc Daniels as OC , went 16-0 beating the likes five playoff teams in the process in 07. I don't necessarily know that this makes him a better HC, but Norv has done nothing but underachieve as a HC.  Smith is right to be concerned
    two teams in his division just acquired potentially superior coaching and talent evaluators. Simple math says the Pats were three games better than you and one coin toss away from the playoffs after losing the best QB in football. You think Billy Volek wins 11 games in any division ?

I still think the Chargers are the class of the AFC West and it is still their division to lose, but it's hard to for me to read of your posts JBolt without perceiving that you have gone on the defensive. I give credit for a gutsy performance from Rivers against the Pats in the playoffs, but don't write or talk smack until you at least win the AFCCG.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

[QUOTE]Bub, Your team is coming a year of which all the patriot nation should be concerned with the quality of play. The amount of rooks & 2nd palyers w/out playoff experience will hurt come January. One, just one, hit on Brady could quite possibly be the end of the era (of which some people think ended 4 years ago). And coaching changes could mean a slow start too. In years past (the past 8) I would say automatic contention, this year, I say no. 

Begging for an injury to Brady is something I expect from a snide Raiders fan Jbolt. Classless and clueless. Like wishing for a chopblock to end Merriman's career...I want the Pats to face the best competition and beat the best competition. Not win by default or because they had more quality personal foul calls.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]Begging for an injury to Brady is something I expect from a snide Raiders fan Jbolt. Classless and clueless. Like wishing for a chopblock to end Merriman's career...I want the Pats to face the best competition and beat the best competition. Not win by default or because they had more quality personal foul calls.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]
    In no way am I 'wishing' Brady gets hurt. Merely stating the obvious, if he goes down the Pats are dust. With a knee, its a real possibility. Especially because QB is the position that everybody wants to attack.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

How can you assume O Connell won't be as good or better than Cassel ? One player does not have greater value than the entire team. It's safe to assume that since A J drafted English he can't be too confident that Merriman will remain healthy for the entire season and Merriman is gone as a FA anyway. Last year (and this year evidently) all I heard was about was how the Chargers lost 8 games because of the injuries they sustained. The Pats lost the best QB in football for an entire season, their best OLB (thomas) for half a season, their best CB  to free agency (Asante)and became involved in the rebuilding process from prior championship teams (and with Harrison, Hobbs and Vrabal gone they still are) and they WON MORE GAMES THAN SAN DIEGO. One overtime loss kept the Pats from the playoffs. Rivers put up some great numbers last year ; how many games do the vaunted Chargers win without him 5 or 6. The defense looked terrible last year and you can pin that on the absence or presence of whomever you like Jbolt.  You keep mentioning the fact that you stomped the  Pats but good, we destroyed your only division rival. Matt Cassel's Patriots were 2-4 vs playoff teams and the lauded Rivers was 1-5; the only win being in the playoffs he would not have made, with the record he had, in other division. He even lost the trade battle to Brees. All this and I really still think the Chargers are the class of their division, but Stan Humphries has had better post-season success than Rivers.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rimfire. Show Rimfire's posts

Guys,

I only visit this site once in a while, so I have just read all the replies to JBolt who responded to my post--and I want to say "Thanks" to everyone who participated in the discussion.  Some good "football" talk and I feel everyone made the points I would have to JBolt if I had seen his reply earlier.  Most of the time, I think he is better than most other teams fans who come here, because he seems to really want to talk football and not just troll.  But I too don't understand his insistance that his team was better last year and deserved the play-offs when the Pats didn't.  The facts simply don't support that.  The Pats had a much better record in arguably a tougher division and it is a fact that if the teams making the play-offs did so strictly on W-L records the Chargers wouldn't have been anywhere near the play-offs.  It is also a fact that the AFC West was a weaker division last year, so there really isn't much to "crow" about there.

But having said that, I do give "Props" to SD for their success against the Colts in the play-offs and also to Rivers for one of the gutsiest performances I've seen against the Pats a couple of years ago when they came to Foxboro in the AFCCG.

It's funny but some teams just seem to always match up better against other teams for some reason.  Like the Pats appearred to "own" the Colts for years (until that ended) and still appear to out-play Pittsburgh most times even though Pittsburgh is an excellent team.  The Chargers just do well against the Colts (but as someone--I think it might have been Bub--pointed out the Colts traditionally haven't done well against anyone in the play-offs).

Let's be honest though, if the SB was played by the two best teams in football each year it would have been an all AFC affair for most of the past decade.  Even so as a football fan, I thought Arizona really showed alot last year.  To be honest, I wasn't expecting them to do much after watching their late season game against the Pats and the fact that they played in another really weak division and also appearred to make the palyoffs pretty much by default.  Again, if the play-offs were seeded strictly on record, they wouldn't have made either and yet they played really good ball and earned their spot in the SB--and frankly as someone who didn't have a "rooting interest" in either team, I felt they should have won if the officiating had been more even.  I like the Steelers, I'm not a "hater" but having watched both of their two recent SB wins, I think they were marginal victories due more to poor officiating than the Steelers own play.  But as a well-known coach has said, "It is what it is".

Sections
Shortcuts