The Cold Hard Facts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

The Cold Hard Facts

Now that the dust is settling after the Welker mayhem, I wanted to offer my opinion before I head off to bed.

Regardless of emotional attachment to Welker, the Patriots ultimately thought that Amendola is the more valuable player at this point. This is evidenced by the Patriots lukewarm offer to Welker and failure to match Denver's offer. Furthermore, they gave money comparable to what Welker received to Amendola. This means that New England preferred Amendola over Welker. Whether you agree or not, this is a fact.

You can argue all day about Welker's toughness, heart, and what he means to the franchise. How much value these attributes possess is an entirely subjective matter...

With that said, what isn't a subjective matter is the follow:

• Amendola is 5 years younger than Welker.
    • Welker is bigger and taller.
    • Amedola has longer arms which allows him to present more of a threat down the field and catch the ball away from his body easier.
    • Amendola is more of a playmaker at PR and KR.
    • Amendola is much faster in a straight line.
    • Due to many of the aforementioned attributes, Amendola is capable of presenting a bit of a deep threat and move outside hashes at times.

It is also very true that Welker wasn't happy with New England and was carrying a personal grudge. Fair or not, this would have made any relationship going forward strained. Further to this point, Welker clearly wanted to leave. He turned down a very impressive contract offer last offseason and instead took a marginal deal from the Broncos. He wanted out and the Patriots didn't appear too concerned about that.

Now as for durability issues and chemistry with Brady, these are somewhat legit concerns, especially the latter. As for durability, it's not like Amendola is pulling hammies and tweaking ankles... this doesn't appear to be an injury prone player. He suffered a broken elbow and a broken collarbone. These are freak injuries that happen. I firmly believe that moving away from that unforgiving artificial field in St. Louis will help him immensely and these type of hard-impact injuries won't occur.

In terms of chemistry, that's something that will be tough to answer until we see Brady throwing to him. With that said, Brady is a hard-worker and Amendola is a motivated young man. If they both put in the work, and I can't imagine why they wouldn't, I don't expect them having too many issues getting on the same page.

Ultimately I'm pleased with the signing and think it gives them the opportunity to improve in the immediate future, and definitely improves their longterm outlook. Welker was getting older and ultimately the Patriots thought Amedola the more valuable player at this point. Whether you agree or not, this is a fact and this gives me confidence in Amendola.

Barring anymore freak injuries, Amendola is very likely to upgrade the WR position as well at the PR/KR spot for us both in the near and longterm future. He is a hard worker, and he possesses plenty of that heart & soul that Welker has. He will run through a brick wall to win a game and gives 101% on every play.

Obviously there's some emotional sting to losing Welker to the Broncos and Manning, but looking at this in a strictly objective way, I struggle to see how this isn't an upgrade for the Patriots.

If we continue to upgrade our defense and add another piece at WR, this team will be improved and in an adequate position to contend with the Broncos for the AFC Title.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Re: The Cold Hard Facts

Nice post - one item that you didn't mentioned ... I don't think the Pats were willing to go beyond 2 years with Welker and with the younger player could go to 5 yrs. It is hard to manipulated cap on a 2 yr deal, much easier on a 5 yr deal. So Amendola's cap hit this year might be about 3M vs. WW at 6M.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

Nice post - one item that you didn't mentioned ... I don't think the Pats were willing to go beyond 2 years with Welker and with the younger player could go to 5 yrs. It is hard to manipulated cap on a 2 yr deal, much easier on a 5 yr deal. So Amendola's cap hit this year might be about 3M vs. WW at 6M.

Another good point to consider. No doubt Welker will produce in Denver, but I'd expect that Amendola will be more productive in New England. He simply has better hands and more physical talent. 

Ultimately defense wins you championships and the remaining cap space should be spent there. Welker will produce in Denver, but unless they upgrade that defense I don't see any reason to doubt that New England could beat them.

3-5 years from now when Welker is retiring, Amendola will be referred to as the "heart & soul" of the Patriots and will be in the discussion for the best slot-receiver ever. I wouldn't be surprised if this plays out.

We shall see, but taking the emotion out of it, I think this deal ultimately benefits New England more than had they kept Welker, both short-term and longerm.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Now that the dust is settling after the Welker mayhem, I wanted to offer my opinion before I head off to bed.

Regardless of emotional attachment to Welker, the Patriots ultimately thought that Amendola is the more valuable player at this point. This is evidenced by the Patriots lukewarm offer to Welker and failure to match Denver's offer. Furthermore, they gave money comparable to what Welker received to Amendola. This means that New England preferred Amendola over Welker. Whether you agree or not, this is a fact.

You can argue all day about Welker's toughness, heart, and what he means to the franchise. How much value these attributes possess is an entirely subjective matter...

• Amedola has longer arms which allows him to present more of a threat down the field and catch the ball away from his body easier.
    • Due to many of the aforementioned attributes, Amendola is capable of presenting a bit of a deep threat and move outside hashes at times.

It is also very true that Welker wasn't happy with New England and was carrying a personal grudge. Fair or not, this would have made any relationship going forward strained. Further to this point, Welker clearly wanted to leave. He turned down a very impressive contract offer last offseason and instead took a marginal deal from the Broncos. He wanted out and the Patriots didn't appear too concerned about that.

Now as for durability issues and chemistry with Brady, these are somewhat legit concerns, especially the latter. As for durability, it's not like Amendola is pulling hammies and tweaking ankles... this doesn't appear to be an injury prone player. He suffered a broken elbow and a broken collarbone. These are freak injuries that happen. I firmly believe that moving away from that unforgiving artificial field in St. Louis will help him immensely and these type of hard-impact injuries won't occur.

In terms of chemistry, that's something that will be tough to answer until we see Brady throwing to him. With that said, Brady is a hard-worker and Amendola is a motivated young man. If they both put in the work, and I can't imagine why they wouldn't, I don't expect them having too many issues getting on the same page.

Ultimately I'm pleased with the signing and think it gives them the opportunity to improve in the immediate future, and definitely improves their longterm outlook. Welker was getting older and ultimately the Patriots thought Amedola the more valuable player at this point. Whether you agree or not, this is a fact and this gives me confidence in Amendola.

Barring anymore freak injuries, Amendola is very likely to upgrade the WR position as well at the PR/KR spot for us both in the near and longterm future. He is a hard worker, and he possesses plenty of that heart & soul that Welker has. He will run through a brick wall to win a game and gives 101% on every play.

Obviously there's some emotional sting to losing Welker to the Broncos and Manning, but looking at this in a strictly objective way, I struggle to see how this isn't an upgrade for the Patriots.

If we continue to upgrade our defense and add another piece at WR, this team will be improved and in an adequate position to contend with the Broncos for the AFC Title.

Amendola is 2 inches taller than Welker and same weight...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to part-timer's comment:

In response to dreighver's comment:

Amendola is 2 inches taller than Welker and same weight...

Yes, and therefore he is bigger. Not to mention he has longer arms.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Good posts dreighver, can't disagree.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Good write up!

The discouraging part of this is they went out and addressed a position that didn't need to be fixed, instead of focusing on positions that need serious fixing...  WR, DB, DL, OL. 

Welker just had another one of his amazing seasons.  So why take the risk on an injury prone player?  yes, injury prone!  Span of two years, played 12 games out of 32, different injuries.  I think that would be considered injury prone. And the whole artificial turf argument could carry some weight, but the bad news is they will be playing away on artificial turf.

To top it off Welker goes to a AFC rival who has a quality QB who can use Welker just as well as TFB could, not to mention Denver has additional weapons.  WR's that the Patriots can only dream of at this point, unless they make a move and pick up a very solid deep threat.  And the Broncos are fixing other problems too.  The have had a very nice and strong FA period thus far.

The Patriots need to improve.  A defense which has struggled for far to long has not improved much over a span of several years.  The WR position has not been fixed since Moss left.  The Cold Hard Facts are the Patriots need to be aggressive here and sign quality players, not quantity of players like we have witnessed time and time again. 

There are teams getting much better right now, Bronco's included, and believe me.. I do not want to see the the Patriots and TFB ever lose to Peyton Manning.  It's time to go all in, I hope they make some solid signing's.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

You forgot another very key comparison.  Amendola has the better hands.  He catches  twice as many balls as Welker without a drop.  That's huge. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:

You forgot another very key comparison.  Amendola has the better hands.  He catches  twice as many balls as Welker without a drop.  That's huge. 

Amendola had 1 season where he had over 65 receptions and 121 targets.  To compare Welkers drops where he is consistantly getting 120 catches, in the 160-170 target range per season is not a really good comparison, imo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

From the latest news it appears Welker & his agent were playing ping pong with the Bronco's & Patriots, trying to get more money, & were at least a step behind. NE offered a 5/10 deal with incentives that could have made it 8/16. When it appeared Welker was signing with Denver, NE pounced on Amendola. Unfortunately, Welker's agent got back to NE too late with a counter offer. It was all about timeing. Welker & his agent misplayed it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

I don't really disagree, Dreighver. But the luxury of being a fan and not the GM is that you CAN be emotional about players. And I'm really down today. To me, WW is - was, ouch - the epitome of a patriot player. Tough, productive, versatile, dependable.

If this is gonna be a good move, time will tell. There is possible upside, and there are concerns. We won't know untill later.

But Danny A. is going to start here with some pretty big expectations, and right or wrong he probably won't have much room for error. At least with some of us.

I hope the fans greet Welker well when he returns with the Broncos - and then I hope BB signs som quality DB's who can defend him. They can start by signing Talib, sooner rather than later.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

dreighver, my compliments on a thoughtful, well-written post.  Any areas of possible disagreement that I may have are largely subjective and not at all significant.  In large measure I agree with your analysis.  Indeed it will all boil down to 2 variables that are not at all possible to determine at this point:  1) Amendola's ability to stay on the field; and 2) the chemistry that hopefully will evolve between Amendola and Brady.

I'm a Welker (as a football player) fan and wish him success in Denver except when they play the Pats.  But it is time to move on - period.

PS, TFB12, good to see that we've not had to call the paramedics in to revive you. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to xxxcrwn's comment:

From the latest news it appears Welker & his agent were playing ping pong with the Bronco's & Patriots, trying to get more money, & were at least a step behind. NE offered a 5/10 deal with incentives that could have made it 8/16. When it appeared Welker was signing with Denver, NE pounced on Amendola. Unfortunately, Welker's agent got back to NE too late with a counter offer. It was all about timeing. Welker & his agent misplayed it.

wow! if that is how it went down, welekr has to be pissed (as well as brady). if denver makes a sb, that i sure will make it better for him.

re us, if in hindsight it turns otu to be a fortunate mistake, that we luck into better circumstances that will be great.

on another note, we need some big outside wrs. we need to draft a hopkins and da rick rogers. and a pss rusher.

and lock up 2 top cbs and a pass rusrer in fa.

thanks for the report!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

This is a lucid, well thought out thread Dreighver! Good job. I am with TFB12 in that i hate to lose WW. The ONLY thing that will make me feel better about this tradeoff is if we sign Pollard ASAP and two other starting caliber CB's (Talib, Lewis). Then I will feel better knowing Pollard can put the fear of God in WW coming across the middle of our new D. Otherwise, you dont get better just staying in neutral!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to xxxcrwn's comment:

Good stuff, do you have a source for this story where you got this info from? Right now, the one thing Welkers agent did do right was win the PR battle I would be interested to know who the source was for your info.

Read Mike Reiss' article today on espn Boston. Breaks it all down, great read.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

dreighver -

A couple things

1) I don't think you can discount the injury prone so quickly. The Pats have an artifical field (though a slightly more advanced one) but those injures weren't caused by the field. For some reason injury prone players are injury prone for a reason. It doesn't matter if it's broken bones, muscles, or seperated shoulders for some reason when a player has the bug they get injured a lot and Amendola is injured a lot.

2) You can't discount the chemistry. We can compare Welkers numbers (pre Pats) to Amendoal's all we want but Ocho had great numbers too before coming to the Pats. We have no clue what Amendola will proved coming to the Pats. At best things remain the same at worst Amendola provides what Ocho provided.

3) We just lost our #1 receiver to our biggest threat in the conference over $1mil dollars. Think about that for a second. Imagine losing Seguin or Bergeron to Montreal for $1mil or Pedroia to the Yankees for $1mil. It's not like they were miles apart we are talking less then 1% of the cap difference to your biggest competition.

4) We paid just as much for Amendola as we did for Welker so it's not like we even saved money to go out and be able to sign extra players. Honestly where are the needs being filled? DBs are flying off the market and the most we are hearing is about Washingtington?

IF Amendola stays healthy he could be good (thats a gamble)

IF he has similar chemistry to Brady he could replace Welker (that's a gamble)

IF this was a cost savings move to add to the D I would understand (they didn't save money)

IF this was to change the offensive philosphy I would understand (Amendola is the closest thing to Welker on the market)

but all of the above aren't true. The truth is we just paid the same amount of money to the second option on the market for the next similar player.

If Amendola was so much better then Welker then why didn't Den target him and why didn't the Pats sign him before waiting for Welker to decide?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Good write up!

The discouraging part of this is they went out and addressed a position that didn't need to be fixed, instead of focusing on positions that need serious fixing...  WR, DB, DL, OL. 

Welker just had another one of his amazing seasons.  So why take the risk on an injury prone player?  yes, injury prone!  Span of two years, played 12 games out of 32, different injuries.  I think that would be considered injury prone. And the whole artificial turf argument could carry some weight, but the bad news is they will be playing away on artificial turf.

To top it off Welker goes to a AFC rival who has a quality QB who can use Welker just as well as TFB could, not to mention Denver has additional weapons.  WR's that the Patriots can only dream of at this point, unless they make a move and pick up a very solid deep threat.  And the Broncos are fixing other problems too.  The have had a very nice and strong FA period thus far.

The Patriots need to improve.  A defense which has struggled for far to long has not improved much over a span of several years.  The WR position has not been fixed since Moss left.  The Cold Hard Facts are the Patriots need to be aggressive here and sign quality players, not quantity of players like we have witnessed time and time again. 

There are teams getting much better right now, Bronco's included, and believe me.. I do not want to see the the Patriots and TFB ever lose to Peyton Manning.  It's time to go all in, I hope they make some solid signing's.

Do not be discouraged by the focus of the change from Welker to DA. The slot had to be taken care of one way or another and doing it now gives the team knowledge of their cap space and roster so they can now focus on those other, pressing issues.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lombardi479. Show lombardi479's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

dreighver -

A couple things

1) I don't think you can discount the injury prone so quickly. The Pats have an artifical field (though a slightly more advanced one) but those injures weren't caused by the field. For some reason injury prone players are injury prone for a reason. It doesn't matter if it's broken bones, muscles, or seperated shoulders for some reason when a player has the bug they get injured a lot and Amendola is injured a lot.

2) You can't discount the chemistry. We can compare Welkers numbers (pre Pats) to Amendoal's all we want but Ocho had great numbers too before coming to the Pats. We have no clue what Amendola will proved coming to the Pats. At best things remain the same at worst Amendola provides what Ocho provided.

3) We just lost our #1 receiver to our biggest threat in the conference over $1mil dollars. Think about that for a second. Imagine losing Seguin or Bergeron to Montreal for $1mil or Pedroia to the Yankees for $1mil. It's not like they were miles apart we are talking less then 1% of the cap difference to your biggest competition.

4) We paid just as much for Amendola as we did for Welker so it's not like we even saved money to go out and be able to sign extra players. Honestly where are the needs being filled? DBs are flying off the market and the most we are hearing is about Washingtington?

IF this was a cost savings move to add to the D I would understand (they didn't save money)

IF this was to change the offensive philosphy I would understand (Amendola is the closest thing to Welker on the market)

but all of the above aren't true. The truth is we just paid the same amount of money to the second option on the market for the next similar player.

If Amendola was so much better then Welker then why didn't Den target him and why didn't the Pats sign him before waiting for Welker to decide?

I agree 100%

My biggest issue is we havent fixed any of the major holes on the team yet this off season. 

For arguments sake, lets agree that, in the short term, picking up of Danny and losing Welker is a wash.  What about the fact that we don’t have any other “WRs” on the team.  Plus, we only have McCort at safety and Dennard at CB who might see some jail time.  Right now, we are not a better team than last year. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think it's clear that BB/Pats chose Amedola over Welker.  They signed a guy with more question marks to a long term deal and let the guy who is a sure thing depart over a what ended up to be a no-brainer contract.  It seems that the personnel brain trust expect Amedola to come in here and match WW's output, which is a gamble.  Not sure I buy letting Wes walk over a few dollars, but at least they got somebody with upside to replace Wes.

And I don't want to hear "what have we won with WW?" or "he dropped the ball when it mattered".  Without him, I am not so sure the Pats have a shot at two more superbowls over the last few years.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

I think it's clear that BB/Pats chose Amedola over Welker.  They signed a guy with more question marks to a long term deal and let the guy who is a sure thing depart over a what ended up to be a no-brainer contract.  It seems that the personnel brain trust expect Amedola to come in here and match WW's output, which is a gamble.  Not sure I buy letting Wes walk over a few dollars, but at least they got somebody with upside to replace Wes.

And I don't want to hear "what have we won with WW?" or "he dropped the ball when it mattered".  Without him, I am not so sure the Pats have a shot at two more superbowls over the last few years.   

pretty much this. We signed a guy we are all hoping will at least match Welkers production. So at best we are hoping for a wash here. Chances are we are looking closer to 90% of Welkers production IF huge if he's healthy. I could understand if we gave him less and went out and used the savings to improve the D but they gave him the same money essentially.  So you are taking a gamble on a wash for the same money? How much sense does that make?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

dreighver -

A couple things

Agree, however we don't know how the deal is structured and what Danny's cap hit is for 2013...do we? 

If the pats continue bargain shopping while our competition adds quality vets, this will spell an early exit next year if we qualify. At this point, mt chief concern is the AFC east first. Miami on paper got a lot better and added to both sides of the ball. Outside the AFC east, Denver would appear to be our biggest AFC threat. houston, Pitt, ravens haven't done much either, but the pats should be reloading with SB in mind.