The Combine

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wwPATRIOTSww. Show wwPATRIOTSww's posts

The Combine

who do you think will climb the draft board the most after the combine? I am going to be keeping a close eye on Tavon Austin from West Virginia. I truely believe that he will be our 1st round pick if he is still available. After hearing that they will not franchise Wes, I think this only confirms that he is our top targeted player. If New England drafted him, I think he would put up the same reception numbers as Wes, but have more yards and TD's. This kid is EXPLOSIVE!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: The Combine

I don't ever like to say "never" but Belichick will never spend a 1st round draft pick on a receiver...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I don't ever like to say "never" but Belichick will never spend a 1st round draft pick on a receiver...

I have to agree. BB is all about playing the numbers and by the numbers WR is the worst position to pick in the 1st, esp in the back of the 1st. I expect BB to stick close to lines or trade back in the 1st this year. The Pats don't need projects for down the road they need immediate impact players and most WR's take a couple years to work into the system. I just don't see it happening

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think Sharrif Floyd has a great chance to earn a top 15 pick with a great combine. Right now he's a back of the 1st early 2nd player but has the physical ability to be a raw speed, size, agility pass rusher which could shot him up the board.

Quiton Patton, a smaller school WR with Reggie Wayne type of ability shot up boards quickly at the combine after a strong senior bowl presence.

On the CB front Will Davis and Jordan Poyer both had weak showings at the senior bowl but had strong years overall. They can recover a lot of the lost momentum in the senior bowl with strong combine performances

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I have to agree. BB is all about playing the numbers and by the numbers WR is the worst position to pick in the 1st, esp in the back of the 1st. I expect BB to stick close to lines or trade back in the 1st this year. The Pats don't need projects for down the road they need immediate impact players and most WR's take a couple years to work into the system. I just don't see it happening

Trading back into the second will probably be the best case scenario this year due to our lack of picks, but I'm not at all convinced that we will find a trading partner who is willing to move up to #29.  We might have to settle for "bad value" if we want to move back and simply acquire another pick or two, and I'm not sure if BB would be willing to do that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

After getting jones and Hightower let year, I'm expecting a trade up again. I think that salary was always a sticking point or bb on the higher picks. 29 is a crappy spot.  It's tweener/desperation land.   All I want is a pass rush.  With a good pass rush we could go with wht we have      IMO  I think that to change Brady's recent playoff play the team needs to start fast.  It hasn't looked like the pats play from close or behind well in the post season the last few years. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to wwPATRIOTSww's comment:

who do you think will climb the draft board the most after the combine? I am going to be keeping a close eye on Tavon Austin from West Virginia. I truely believe that he will be our 1st round pick if he is still available. After hearing that they will not franchise Wes, I think this only confirms that he is our top targeted player. If New England drafted him, I think he would put up the same reception numbers as Wes, but have more yards and TD's. This kid is EXPLOSIVE!

My Candidates for Big Climbers:

Brandon Williams, DT/NT - all the potential to be this year's Dontari Poe. They both played against lesser competition. The difference between the two is Williams accumulated better numbers.

He's a bit of an enigma. His legs are quick (quicker than some DTs who are 40 lbs lighter), but somewhat not as powerful on the push as his size suggests (perhaps a technique issue that can be corrected by good coaches). 

Robert Alford, CB - Will probably show impressive speed and agility, to build on impressive performance on Senior Bowl week.

Darius Slay, CB - The CB who plays opposite Banks. IMO, his combination of athleticism, size   (6'1", 190) and upper body strength (I anticipate better than Banks; critical when battling bigger receivers) will catch evaluators' attention enough that they will look at his film. On his film they will find a CB with very good instincts. When all considerations are put together, he may convince some that he has one of the best ceilings. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The climbers will hopefully be QBs.  This will let picks drop to the Pats.  Supposedly, there's not a QB worth taking in the 1st round this year but once the first one goes the rally's on.  

There are so many needs for the Pats.  I fear if they don't go to FA we'll be in for more of the same for next year.  My stance right now is DT in the 1st round and the 2nd round will be traded.  The combine will give me a better picture.  That probably holds pretty true to everybody though as we do have FA in March.  One can only hope that the Pats will be players.  They need to be anyway.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Pass on Tavon Austin, another sub-6'0 WR? 

Please, Hey-Sus! Don't bring in anymore tiny WRs! I'm starting to hate small WRs! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

+1, I think he will trade out of the first rd also.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Think new pattern will not be to trade down or out of 1rst round but up if needed to get the player they want.

New rookie system means high drafties do not cost as much guaranteed dollars

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

All i have to say is the Pats really don't have many picks this year, better use them very wisely or find a way to get several more.

Is the female kicker going to be at the combine?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

...29 is a crappy spot.  It's tweener/desperation land.   ...

Harrison Smith went 29th last year. Not too bad.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

...29 is a crappy spot.  It's tweener/desperation land.   ...

Harrison Smith went 29th last year. Not too bad.

Year Name Team Round Pick Player Position College 2012 Harrison Smith Vikings 1 29 29 DB Notre Dame 2011 Gabe Carimi Bears 1 29 29 T Wisconsin 2010 Kyle Wilson Jets 1 29 29 DB Boise State 2009 Hakeem Nicks Giants 1 29 29 WR North Carolina 2008 Kentwan Ballmer 49ers 1 29 29 DT North Carolina 2007 Ben Grubbs Ravens 1 29 29 G Auburn 2006 Nick Mangold Jets 1 29 29 C Ohio State 2005 Marlin Jackson Colts 1 29 29 DB Michigan 2004 Michael Jenkins Falcons 1 29 29 WR Ohio State 2003 Nick Barnett Packers 1 29 29 LB Oregon State 2002 Marc Colombo Bears 1 29 29 T Boston College 2001 Ryan Pickett Rams 1 29 29 DE Ohio State 2000 R. Jay Soward Jaguars 1 29 29 WR USC 1999 Dimitrius Underwood Vikings 1 29 29 DE Michigan State 1998 John Avery Dolphins 1 29 29 RB Mississippi 1997 Chris Canty Patriots 1 29 29 DB Kansas State 1996 Jamain Stephens Steelers 1 29 29 T North Carolina A&T 1995 Blake Brockermeyer Panthers 1 29 29 T Texas 1994 Derrick Alexander Browns 1 29 29 WR Michigan 1993 George Teague Packers 1 29 29 DB Alabama

Pick 29 history per www.drafthistory.com. 

Man the formatting in this place bites

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

A few years ago we were saying the same thing about him choosing a running back in the first and then along came Maroney. Then we were saying the same thing about him picking a offensive lineman in the first - that he likes these third round guys he can work with - then along comes Solder. I think if anything, Bill has proven he will select anyone, at anytime. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

A few years ago we were saying the same thing about him choosing a running back in the first and then along came Maroney. Then we were saying the same thing about him picking a offensive lineman in the first - that he likes these third round guys he can work with - then along comes Solder. I think if anything, Bill has proven he will select anyone, at anytime. 

Hopefully not a RB like Maroney again.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

It's getting to seem that any position would help us now.  D line please.  Just let me see a pass rush again. Before jones got hurt there were flashes and we were dominant. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Pats won't be picking 29...they'll move right out of first round to pick up an early 2, then another pick in a round they don't have....I hope they do what they did last year, and move up! But thinking they'll go other way this year to stock pile some picks....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think Sharrif Floyd has a great chance to earn a top 15 pick with a great combine. Right now he's a back of the 1st early 2nd player but has the physical ability to be a raw speed, size, agility pass rusher which could shot him up the board.

Quiton Patton, a smaller school WR with Reggie Wayne type of ability shot up boards quickly at the combine after a strong senior bowl presence.

On the CB front Will Davis and Jordan Poyer both had weak showings at the senior bowl but had strong years overall. They can recover a lot of the lost momentum in the senior bowl with strong combine performances

I agree. I have seen some mocks where he goes top 10. He will be a riser which I also think means some very good DT will be there at 29. Wonder who. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

In response to wwPATRIOTSww's comment:

Ok, this is silly.  I am sorry, but Welker is one of the best slot WRs ever.  And you can just assume that Austin is going to out produce him.  Come on, that is absurd.  I dont think Austin is bad, I do see him like Welker, but to just assume he is better is ignorant.  Explosive is nice, getting us some TDs in the red zone is what we need.  No more shrimp WRs, lets get a red zone threat besides Gronk.  I am in favor of letting Welker go, if we get a quality BIG Wr with that cash.

Sections
Shortcuts