The competition at the wide receiver position

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

The competition at the wide receiver position

In Coach Belichick's tenure, this maybe the most interesting and intriguing OTA's, Mini-Camps, and Training Camps at the wide receiver position in a long time. Outside of Amendola, its seemingly open for the others to take at wide receiver. Watching whatever highlights that are available of Mark Harrison, T.J. Moe, and Kenbrell Thompkins on youtube, it really makes it more intriguing to go along with Aaron Dobson and Josh Boyce. So that means for players like Michael Jenkins, Donald Jones, and Lavelle Hawkins, there are going to be in for a battle to get a spot on the roster. There are young wide receivers and some veterans (some of which that are still young like Danny Amendola, Donald Jones and Lavelle Hawkins). Maybe a long shot, but Kamar Aiken could sneak up and surprise a lot of people. This will be good at wide receiver for the Patriots.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: The competition at the wide receiver position

It seems nerve wracking and a bit far fetched to think a SB contender is relying on 2 rookies, 2 UDFA, a couple of retreads and 2 injury prone players as the WR's for the most prolific QB and passing game in NFL history. Past history dictates this simply won't work. Lets hope history doesn't repeat itself

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Should be a fun competition to watch this year. I'm also going to closely watch the DT competition and interested to seeing the groupings for the CB's with all the Rutgers players  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

It seems nerve wracking and a bit far fetched to think a SB contender is relying on 2 rookies, 2 UDFA, a couple of retreads and 2 injury prone players as the WR's for the most prolific QB and passing game in NFL history. Past history dictates this simply won't work. Lets hope history doesn't repeat itself

They will have old reliable on stand by= Deion Branch

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

+1 Still love Deion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

Thats a joke right??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

All about undrstanding the system and getting chemistry with Brady.

Established recievers like ocho don't work out but ones that get it like Branch can get their career extended just becasue they know the system.

I think the numbers increase the odds that one or two of all these candidates will click with Brady and thats all that is needed, really does not matter where they came from or what level they are, don't think many situations translate.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

All about undrstanding the system and getting chemistry with Brady.

Established recievers like ocho don't work out but ones that get it like Branch can get their career extended just becasue they know the system.

I think the numbers increase the odds that one or two of all these candidates will click with Brady and thats all that is needed, really does not matter where they came from or what level they are, don't think many situations translate.

+1

It's all about chemistry. Patten, Branch, Givens, Welker weren't exactly highly rated prospects/players before Brady but they developed great chemistry and it worked well. We'll have to wait and see but I can also see it from Rkarps perspective that really Edelman is the only player that we know has chemistry with Brady at this point and he has trouble staying on the field. I think we'd all be more comfortable if there was 1 more WR with prior chemistry to Brady that can last a full season (either do to injury or just age)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

It's a great influx of talent for an offensive coach who can teach players to understand an intricate system, whether they can learn it is up to them.  I like their chances with a solid rushing attack already and tight ends who can overpower, we can run a simplified route tree and make it work if the young guys are as smart as advertised.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I am really excited by the prospects - no idea who ends up making the squad but the underlying skill sets are better than we have had in a long time. Chemistry is the issue and out of this large group you have to believe a couple of player will emerge.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

+1 Still love Deion.

/QUOTE]

Yeh, Quag stop jerking everybodies chain!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

BB undervalues wide receivers.  There may be coaches who overvalue wide receivers, and as a group they probably have a losing record.  In particular, BB undervalues fast guys.  He likes guys with good 3-cone times, tall guys who can fight off a tiny cornerback 30 yards downfield and fat muscle-y guys who can block out a tiny cornerback like Charles Barkley setting up a post-up play.

I get the feeling that if BB could line up Brady, a tailback, a slot receiver and three tight ends, he would. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I, too, am looking forward to the competition at w/r this year.  Yes, they'll be some stops n starts early but overall I think it is healthy for the team. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to leatherhelmet's comment:

This will FORCE us into more balance. We need a running game that can close out games and even carry the team on day when TB plays like the aging QB he is. The receiving corps will be  fine as Amendola, Hernandez and when healthy Gronk will be on the field for most snaps. Any contribution from Jones, Dobson, Boyce etc will make this O explosive!  The most under rated coach in the NFL , Dante Scarnecchia, will keep the O line doing what they've been doing the last decade. Offense = No worries!!

It's the much needed improvement on the defensive side of the ball that will make this a championship season.

+1

let the defense carry this team early in the season until the offense gets healthy and starts to gel. It may be 4-6 weeks into the season before we see the potential here, and we need a healthy Gronk to make it go. I still think gronk is the key cog in the pats offense, even more so than welker because Gronk affects both the run and pass game tremendously. If the offense can just do enough early on, and the defense play to their potential, that should hold things down long enough for Gronk to get into form and the offense start to gel. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I try not to think about it, really.

It IS nerve wracking though ... really ... outside of two special teams players (Edelman and Slater) NE has no one(!!!) at WR who has ever actually caught a professional pass from Tom Brady. 

Nevermind the fact that two of the guys they are hoping to be contributors (one MAJOR another minor) in Amendola and Edelman, aren't exactly known for being the "iron horse" at WR, and have injury bug concerns.

With the influx of young talent there is some reason to be exited ... but this WR corps is also a few injuries, busts, bad matches, slow development cycles away from being a total and unmitigated nightmare this season. 

That doesn't even MENTION the fact that neither of your star TEs are known for being stalwarts of health either. Sheesh.

Think about it! Or don't, lol!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

As an outsider, this seems like a pretty unexciting group of possibilities.  Seems like it's back to the days of giving Brady nobody receivers and trusting that he can make enough plays to win the game.  I think it's possible that you could have the second coming of Welker on the roster, but the rest of the guys could be the second coming on Reche Caldwell.  Of course, there's something to be said for bringing in a lot of possibilities and waiting for the cream to rise.  That strategy usually gives you a better corps than seems possible at OTAs...

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

It's "nerve wracking" that we have Gronk, Ballard and Hern as the best TE group in the entire NFL, Amendola as a veteran  with Michael Jenkins as another proven vet, nice RBs here with experience and full camp together again, with literally 10 other WRs for 2 spots?

This is "nerve wracking"?

Our passing game has SUCKED in the postseason, so I am pretty sure what it was more "nerve wracking" is our older WRs in previous postseasons not playing very well with Tom Brady leading his preferred shotgun spread.

THAT's what is "nerve wracking".  What's nerve wracking is when I get that pit in my stomach in the first half because we leave points on the board and never established a proper run game to draw in the LBs from the middle of the field, as we then continue to see our QB only look at the same two receiving options for 40+ times, as if it's a race to get to 40 passes in a lower scoring game.

THAT is what is "nerve wracking" because I know it won't work.

I am THRILLED to see a clear change in approach like this, forcing Brady to get his head back to straight, get back to basics and force him to develop a rapport with EVERYONE in camp, instead of throwing 5 yard passes to Wes Welker, Gronk and Hern all summer.

Thank you, BB. Thank you.  Finally the plug has been pulled and we can move on from a failed, finesse shotgun spread base.

Oh Brother!  I thought you were gone!!! 

I agree with OP, this is going to be a very interesting and intriguing OTA's, Mini-Camps, and Training Camps at the wide receiver position in a long time. Not only at WR but in several ereas of the defense too.  It is going to be fun to follow and see who ends up on the field to start the regular season.  I'm anxious, I'm nerveous, I'm excited.  I already can't wait for the season to start.  This is going to be a looong few months.  I'm expecting this forum to be more active this season then any other season.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

It IS nerve wracking though ... really ... outside of two special teams players (Edelman and Slater) NE has no one(!!!) at WR who has ever actually caught a professional pass from Tom Brady. 

Nevermind the fact that two of the guys they are hoping to be contributors (one MAJOR another minor) in Amendola and Edelman, aren't exactly known for being the "iron horse" at WR, and have injury bug concerns.

With the influx of young talent there is some reason to be exited ... but this WR corps is also a few injuries, busts, bad matches, slow development cycles away from being a total and unmitigated nightmare this season. 

That doesn't even MENTION the fact that neither of your star TEs are known for being stalwarts of health either. Sheesh.

Was it "nervewracking" 2003 with an aging Troy Brown and David Patten as lead WRs in camp, Fauria (never caught a pass from Brady) and Deion Branch in camp as a rookie (never caught a pass from Tom Brady)?

Do some of you even read the crap you write?

It's like you're using a pre-emptive strike with your agenda in here, so when January rolls around, and this team is a 13-3 team,  a 1 or 2 seed and Brady has 35 TDs and 9 INTs, the offense leads the NFL in stats, Ridley has 1200 yards, Bolden 500 yards, etc, if Brady chokes it down again, he's covered.

That's kind of the vibe you types like to give off in here.

Frankly, some fans are sick and tired of watching the 2007 offense being chased down by Brady, Welker, Branch, etc, as they lack execution and then somehow escape any criticism from the media.

This team is LOADED. LOADED with talent on offense. LOADED.

All we've heard about is how Brady doesn't have any weapons.   You're running out of excuses.

2007 destroyed some of our fans ability to understand the game off football, especially on offense. We don't need 2 HOF WRs and then 3 or 4 other average targets for Brady. We need 4 quality options with varying skill sets who can routes from the X, Y and Z, without physical limitations like Moss and Welker.  Don't look now, but Hernandez is essentially a WR, where you can line him up at the X, Y or Z and not really miss a beat.  

Moss ran like 4 routes and drew doubles due to his freakish range and speed.  But, he couldn't or wasn't asked to do much else because he didn't need to do anything else.  We've learned those limitations have come back to bite that style offense.

Welker may have been moved to the Z position at times, but he wasn't effective and was nothing more than an obvious decoy.

Not good enough.

Back under center, run the ball, spread it around. It's called a West Coast offense. We used to see our QB master it, but now he only feels comfortable in the shotgun spread. As mentioned, that's about to change. Oh, yes it is. And, I don't care whose name is on the back of those jerseys.

BB has the names off the jerseys and helmets for a reason. Wake up, kids.

The New England Patriots have never *ever* run a West Coast offense. Please get your facts straight. They've run an Earhardt-Perkins offense for almost 40 consecutive years ....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Was it "nervewracking" 2003 with an aging Troy Brown and David Patten as lead WRs in camp, Fauria (never caught a pass from Brady) and Deion Branch in camp as a rookie (never caught a pass from Tom Brady)?

Do some of you even read the crap you write?

It's like you're using a pre-emptive strike with your agenda in here, so when January rolls around, and this team is a 13-3 team,  a 1 or 2 seed and Brady has 35 TDs and 9 INTs, the offense leads the NFL in stats, Ridley has 1200 yards, Bolden 500 yards, etc, if Brady chokes it down again, he's covered.

That's kind of the vibe you types like to give off in here.

Frankly, some fans are sick and tired of watching the 2007 offense being chased down by Brady, Welker, Branch, etc, as they lack execution and then somehow escape any criticism from the media.

This team is LOADED. LOADED with talent on offense. LOADED.

All we've heard about is how Brady doesn't have any weapons.   You're running out of excuses.

2007 destroyed some of our fans ability to understand the game off football, especially on offense. We don't need 2 HOF WRs and then 3 or 4 other average targets for Brady. We need 4 quality options with varying skill sets who can routes from the X, Y and Z, without physical limitations like Moss and Welker.  Don't look now, but Hernandez is essentially a WR, where you can line him up at the X, Y or Z and not really miss a beat.  

Moss ran like 4 routes and drew doubles due to his freakish range and speed.  But, he couldn't or wasn't asked to do much else because he didn't need to do anything else.  We've learned those limitations have come back to bite that style offense.

Welker may have been moved to the Z position at times, but he wasn't effective and was nothing more than an obvious decoy.

Not good enough.

Back under center, run the ball, spread it around. It's called a West Coast offense. We used to see our QB master it, but now he only feels comfortable in the shotgun spread. As mentioned, that's about to change. Oh, yes it is. And, I don't care whose name is on the back of those jerseys.

BB has the names off the jerseys and helmets for a reason. Wake up, kids.

"Was it "nervewracking" 2003 with an aging Troy Brown and David Patten as lead WRs in camp ..."

Troy Brown in 2003 was still plenty good.  They were running a 4-man rotation at WR but he still had 40 catches.  I'd sign up for 2 32 year old WRs named Troy Brown right now.

"This team is LOADED. LOADED with talent on offense. LOADED."

Well, they aren't loaded at the so-called skill positions, once you get past TB and Gronk.  They'll be fine because they have BB and TB but their talent at WR is unproven and/or have injury history.  That is a fact.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts