The contract I would offer Welker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

The contract I would offer Welker

3 years, 24 million. 14 mil signing bonus.

Salaries:

2013: 2.5 (Cap Hit: 7.2)

2014: 3.5 (Cap Hit: 8.2)

2015: 4    (Cap Hit: 8.7)

This pays him essentially 20 guaranteed over the next 2 years, while keeping the cap hit reasonable for a player of his caliber...especially considering his worth to THIS specific team.Given his durability, production, and consistency while in NE, I don't worry about taking dead money at any point in the next 3 years with Welker. Everyone talks about Adrian Peterson...Welker did it first. While not to the same level AP did it, Welker had what would be a VERY good, to excellent season for any other WR. For him, it was his low point in 6 seasons...

This also leaves them a little flexibility in 2015 when the cap will likely rise again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Re: The contract I would offer Welker

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

Salaries:

This pays him essentially 20 guaranteed over the next 2 years, while keeping the cap hit reasonable for a player of his caliber...especially considering his worth to THIS specific team.Given his durability, production, and consistency while in NE, I don't worry about taking dead money at any point in the next 3 years with Welker. Everyone talks about Adrian Peterson...Welker did it first. While not to the same level AP did it, Welker had what would be a VERY good, to excellent season for any other WR. For him, it was his low point in 6 seasons...

This also leaves them a little flexibility in 2015 when the cap will likely rise again.

sounds fair structured like that and u did ur homework re: cap

i dont get the AP comparison though

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Salaries:

Coming back from a torn ligament at the end of one season, and returning at a high level for the beginning of the following season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Salaries:

Coming back from a torn ligament at the end of one season, and returning at a high level for the beginning of the following season.

okay...although as a RB AP would be hit a lot more and what he did last year was ridiculous-one of the greatest years any RB ever coming off the torn up knee

but welker did come back too and he doesn't miss games-which actually makes him more valuable than those that are hurt in big games

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

to rich for my blood

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I may be mistaken but I'm not sure that the Pats will offer him that much $$.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Seems reasonable, but I am wondering if the Pats would go 3 years. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

My contract - 4 years 8M signing 2 yrs guaranteed and third year buy out of 1M or 2M

1. 4M (cap 6M)

2. 4M (cap 6M)

3. 6M (cap 8M)

4. 8M (cap 10M)

First year cash is 12M, two year total is 16M with the 1M or 2M kicker if he is cut.

Dead money is 4M plus the kicker after 2 yrs, and you have the choice of paying him in 2015 if he is still effective or renegotiating downward the last two years if he is fading.

The other option is extending to 5 years upping the bonus to 10M and the salaries down to 2,4,4 in the first three years reducing the 2013 cap to 4M and increasing the possible dead money later.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Unfortunately I think Welker wants more than a three year deal and here's what stinks...he may leave because of it and in reality if he does sign a four year deal somewhere he'll just end up being cut after that third year anyway (or be asked to take a pay cut).

Sections
Shortcuts