The D Through 8 Games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

The D Through 8 Games

Last year through 8 games our defense allowed on average 416.25 yards per game and 23 points. This year through 8 we are sitting at 369.8 yards and 21.2 points allowed per game. Still a lot of room for improvement, but at least on the surface things are moving in the right direction.  I think the most encouraging thing from yesterday's game was that with the exception of the early game mistake to Givens Bradford was forced to check down for most of the game.  With the exception of that one throw he averaged 5.34 yards per attempt and 7.38 yards per completion.  Given our inconsistency at defending the deep ball so far this year it was good to see.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Re: The D Through 8 Games

No disrespect but If you are happy with Kyle Arrington, Sterling Moore, And a bunch of other Jag's aside from maybe Dennard you will continue to be heartbroken throughout the season.

While their defense is not bad The Rams could be the one team in the entire league with less offensive weapons then the Jets. This win just masks and prolongs what will eventually rear it's ugly head. Our secondary STINKS and will get exposed against an even half decent offense. Your never around when dozen's of posters (maybe 95% of them call you out during and after jusst about every game when the D chit's the bed.

Just as you say stats are bloated because the Pats are always ahead and are allowing teams passing yards by just playing the clock don't be fooled into believing the stats stated above are an indication of an improvement this year in the secondary, our achilles heel.

Brady and the O have less then 8 3and outs this entire season.. While with a blitz or without it a good offense is going to have a field day with this pathetic secondary unit.

I love me some Pats but If I fail to believe my eyes I'd be a fool too.

BTW, where' all my B Lloyd haters?: )

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Yes! Yes! Arrington shut down Cruz in the Super Bowl!! All by himself!

Hey have you figured out why Arrington is "so good" in the slot yet, dumbo? It's because all he has to do is run sideways covering crossing patterns. He never has to turn his tight hips or look for the ball!! Put him on the outside in man or send a tight end up the seam in the middle and it's a completion evey time. I know this guy is your baby/binky, but you got to drop it...just let it go, ok?

Please, just get banned again and spend a week watching the nfl network or something...read Patriot's management secrets vol 1 and 2 over agin. Something, anything.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Rusty you are a meathead....lol

Arrington could possibly be the worst cornerback in the league..lmao. Opposing qb's have a perfect 158.0 qbr when throwing at him according to pff.com.

And you say I know nothing about football. Dude your completely clueless.

You may be the only kid left on earth to defend Arrington. Dude is hot steam out there. Chung is the new whipping boy because he is one dimensional, a band-aid and made of glass. You can almost count on him to miss 6-7 games a year. He is a run stuffer with no range. Dude sneezes and gets hurt. Am I wrong? Rodney played wrecklessly yet managed to stay relatively healthy. What about him is so special?

He most certainly is not worthy of a borderline 1st round pick. Maybe not a bust but he is definitely not worthy of the praise of where he was drafted.. There's a million Chung's in the league.

Funny thing is when he came in I thought he was special, but unlike you I can admit when I'm wrong.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to HOTBLITZ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Rusty you are a meathead....lol

Arrington could possibly be the worst cornerback in the league..lmao. Opposing qb's have a perfect 158.0 qbr when throwing at him according to pff.com.

And you say I know nothing about football. Dude your completely clueless.

You may be the only kid left on earth to defend Arrington. Dude is hot steam out there. Chung is the new whipping boy because he is one dimensional, a band-aid and made of glass. You can almost count on him to miss 6-7 games a year. He is a run stuffer with no range. Dude sneezes and gets hurt. Am I wrong? Rodney played wrecklessly yet managed to stay relatively healthy. What about him is so special?

He most certainly is not worthy of a borderline 1st round pick. Maybe not a bust but he is definitely not worthy of the praise of where he was drafted.. There's a million Chung's in the league.

Funny thing is when he came in I thought he was special, but unlike you I can admit when I'm wrong.

[/QUOTE]

I am not talking about Arrington's nice season last year or his great postseason.  I am talking about Arrington being moved into the slot where he's better suited.

Maybe you need to lower your expectations so you won't have to be dumb and call a kid from college "special" out of the 2nd rd.

Right now a guy named Aaron Hernandez is also made of glass and can be counted on missing a few games every year. Same with Spikes.

Be consistent and don't be a phony applying your agendas only to certain people you so immaturely feel a need to scapegoat like a toolish Boston fan.

[/QUOTE]

Who is arguing your point with Hernandez? Your right. I don't remember saying different. Spikes seems to have turned the corner though.

Nice try on the college kid thing. I'm 29 work fulltime and own my own property. Come again: )

Oh Ya your rebuttal on Arrington and Chung was awesome.. "Cannot be made up" lmao.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

P.s. Arrington is better suited for the practice squad.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I thought the D continued its generally very solid play against the run and also showed more ability to get after the passer (against a relatively weak O-line, however).  Pass coverage was still spotty, however, and the D was helped an awful lot by the Rams taking a large number of drive-killing penalties.

Through eight games, I think this D is better than last year's.  It's especially strong against the run and has some potential to be more effective rushing the passer.  The secondary is not playing great, but there's some hope, I think, that it will improve as the year goes on and Dennard and Wilson (especially) get reps.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

you have faced only two good qbs tho and no top offense

[/QUOTE]

Blah blah blah.  It's always the same from you.  I don't see you dissing the G Men's D like you do NE's despite the fact that they have have given up a grand total of 8 less passing yards per game and more yards per passing attempt while facing Romo x2, Newton, Weeden, Freeman, Smith, Vick and RG3.  That's a real murderers row there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

C'mon Russ. On that Arrington thing again? He stinks plain and simple. Cole in fact is a better cb than Arrington. I would take cromartie any day over arrIngton as well? Chung is not much better either. I would besurprised if BB resigns hiM. I think this is one reason he brought in Wilson...to eventually replace Chung. The secondary is in tough shape, but can get better when kids return healthy and get some consistencylaying together. This year feels like last in that BB is trying to find the right combinations. I still think McCourty is the best safety on this roster, and Dennard is rising. Cole is also rising. Ras was supposed to be the key here, but again hedisappoints. I doubt BB wanted to start Arrington at Cb. All along it was supposed to be McCourty and dowling.

Question is what do you do with this secondary when everyone returns healthy? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

but thanks for telling us you started watching the Pats when Brady arrived. It's what I knew all along.

[/QUOTE]

Dude, I have absolutely no prooblem telling you when I started watching the Pats. Like I said I'm 29 born in 82 and I started getting into football and had a love for the Pats in Bledsoe's first season. I had no team before that. At the time my two best buddies loved football. One was a 49er fan and the other loving the Steeler's. I watched Bledsoe get drafted high out of Washington and loved the Uni's. I have a Ben Coates Jersey, Bruce Armstrong, Bledsoe, Terry Glenn and a few others from those Uni days.

Yes, indeed I got lucky picking a team that would go on and dominate the new millenium but I can tell you for a fact with people to vouch for me that I liked the Pats when they sucked AZZZZ. What you think/say/do/write means diddly to me. I am a true fan of football.

Do you think I don't want the secondary to be awesome? snap out of it.

I'll tell you what though, and I may get some heck for this but I believe that 2001 team with Willie Mac, Teddy, Lawyer, Ty, would smack this version of the Pats around good. I also prefer the Brady of his early years to now. Call me crazy but he had the magic touch and I believed no matter what talent he had around him then he would find a way to get it done when the game was on the line. WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

C'mon Russ. On that Arrington thing again? He stinks plain and simple. Cole in fact is a better cb than Arrington. I would take cromartie any day over arrIngton as well? Chung is not much better either. I would besurprised if BB resigns hiM. I think this is one reason he brought in Wilson...to eventually replace Chung. The secondary is in tough shape, but can get better when kids return healthy and get some consistencylaying together. This year feels like last in that BB is trying to find the right combinations. I still think McCourty is the best safety on this roster, and Dennard is rising. Cole is also rising. Ras was supposed to be the key here, but again hedisappoints. I doubt BB wanted to start Arrington at Cb. All along it was supposed to be McCourty and dowling.

Question is what do you do with this secondary when everyone returns healthy? 

[/QUOTE]

answer to your question is they're already healthy and guys that return need to earn playing time .

spikes is the key... Energy and big hits , he sets tone for best front 7 in football which has perfect blend of youth and experience .  These guys make secondary better.

2 picks for rookies in the back... (Who predicted that...?). This is huge for their confidence . 7 Points given up.  Didn't panic after obvious mistake early.

high on this d... Just watch.  they're starting to trust each other which frees them up to make plays like we saw Sunday.  Hightower Jones, mayo, spikes .  These guys are increasingly intimidating ...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

you have faced only two good qbs tho and no top offense

[/QUOTE]

Blah blah blah.  It's always the same from you.  I don't see you dissing the G Men's D like you do NE's despite the fact that they have have given up a grand total of 8 less passing yards per game and more yards per passing attempt while facing Romo x2, Newton, Weeden, Freeman, Smith, Vick and RG3.  That's a real murderers row there.

[/QUOTE]

+1

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

1st in the league allowing yards after contact, at .97 per.

1st in forced fumbles.

7th in INT's.

A dominant looking front 7.

As the young guys in the secondary develop confidence this D gets better and better.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Through eight games, I think this D is better than last year's.  It's especially strong against the run and has some potential to be more effective rushing the passer.  The secondary is not playing great, but there's some hope, I think, that it will improve as the year goes on and Dennard and Wilson (especially) get reps.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with all of the above.  Dennard and Wilson are learning on the job right now, and I'd throw Ebner in there too.  If Gregory and Chung can come back and contribute at a reasonable level this secondary should get better.     

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Well, we sit at a 97 DPR now. Last year we had an 86 for the season. Rate of INTs is also down. Sack rate is slightly down which can be a reflection on the secondary's ability to cover. Run D is clearly better.

Seems perhaps the front 7 are improved but the secondary has regressed.