The Danny Woodhead appreciation thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The Danny Woodhead appreciation thread

A lot of posters on this site seem to believe that Belichick and McDaniels should be playing Danny Woodhead less than they do.  The same criticism was mounted frequently last year when O'Brien was the offensive coordinator and utilized Woodhead fairly heavily. 

During the offseason, I speculated that Woodhead was most likely to make the team (because of his experience in the system)--but felt there was a decent chance he would be cut if Addai or one of the fullbacks had made the team.  My guess was that Vereen was in line to take a lot of his snaps--and I felt Woodhead's performance in 2011 had dropped from what it was in 2010. 

As we all know, Woodhead did make the team--and has actually continued to have a large role in the offense.  I think Woodhead has been an important contributor, and his performance this year looks more like his 2010 performance.  He has been effective catching the ball, makes good blocks in pass protection, and has been okay running from spread formations.  Vereen does seem to be getting more looks and maybe will begin to replace Woodhead as the season goes on, but Woodhead appears to be a fixture of the offense this year as he has been since he came to the team in 2010. 

As I read the posts here, I think a lot of the criticism he gets (and the coaches get for using him) is unfair.  I see him as a very solid contributor in the spread passing game which remains (even with the increased running this year) a major component of the offense.  I think it's time to give Woodhead some love . . . and to recognize that the coaches (Belichick, McDaniels, and O'Brien) are smarter than we sometimes acknowledge when they put this guy in the game.

That said, Vereen does have better athleticism as both a runner and receiver, and may be poised to take more of Woodhead's snaps in the second half of the season.  If Vereen plays as smart and as consistently as Woodhead has, that will help the team.  But Woodhead will continue to be the reliable back-up in that very critical passing back position and may even remain the number one passing back through the season.  It's time to give the guy some credit.  He definitely deserves it. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: The Danny Woodhead appreciation thread

Woodhead is great in spurts. If they give him 5-10 carries, 3-5 recs, and use him primarily in the spread as protection then I think that's his perfect role. But, I wouldn't want him to try to run out the clock or getting a number of carriers on a critical drive to score. He's a great change of pace back just not worthy of getting a large rep of carries

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Woodhead is great in spurts. If they give him 5-10 carries, 3-5 recs, and use him primarily in the spread as protection then I think that's his perfect role. But, I wouldn't want him to try to run out the clock or getting a number of carriers on a critical drive to score. He's a great change of pace back just not worthy of getting a large rep of carries

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. In a specific role within the passing game he's a good player.

I don't like when he runs in short yardage situations. He's just too small to get any forward push after first contact.

It'll be interesting to see moving forward to next season what they do. If Vereen stays healthy and Demps develops as hoped you wonder if there's a place left for Woodhead.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

He is as close to Kevin Faulk as they have right now in the passing game.  He is definitely not a short yardage back, and can't carry the load for a full game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So don't use him like O'brien did in the jets playoff debacle? Or how he did last season? I agree. Other then the Arizona game I'd say we have mixed him in well this season, but I too would like to see Vareen on the field more. The difference in talent between this 2nd rd draft pick and this undrafted FA is substantial.

Great to see BB's rebuild of the run game and change of the offensive philosophy nearing completion.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So don't use him like O'brien did in the jets playoff debacle? Or how he did last season? I agree. Other then the Arizona game I'd say we have mixed him in well this season, but I too would like to see Vareen on the field more. The difference in talent between this 2nd rd draft pick and this undrafted FA is substantial.

Great to see BB's rebuild of the run game and change of the offensive philosophy nearing completion.

[/QUOTE]

It's substantial but talent isn't everything and Woodhead gives you more effort and doesn't have injury concerns like Vereen. There is something to be said for heart and Woodhead has lots and lots of heart, most likely why he's on the field and Vereen isn't

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Woodhead should only play on 3rd and longs, no where else. 

Ridley is your guy from 1-3and-short, Bolden is you goalline back, Vereen and Woodhead should battle over third downs, but Vereen is CLEARLY the better runner. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I'll give Woody his props for being a little guy playing a big mans game and always being there(meaning he is durable), but he is just a stopgap until next year when Vareen takes over. If that wasnt the plan, they would have locked up Danny a while back for cheap money. People need to realize the pattern here. B.B. doesnt pay for Rbs or DBs. Meaning he will try to get rookie and have them perform under their rookie contracts which is when they will be released and B.B,. will go back to the draft again. Same deal with Benny, Same with Maroney...and same for Danny because they wont sign him longterm. In 3 years they will be looking for Ridleys replacement and G.B,. will sign Ridley to a longterm deal. Its just B.B.s way.

I cant argue with it, but I would like them to change with the Dbs and maybe spend money and WHEN they do, dont sign a Bum like Bodden longterm...smh

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Those 3rd & 17 plays he converted vs Denver (1 draw play and 1 screen pass) were awesome.  Woody definitally has an important role on this team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I hate to say it, but I think if Vareen stays healthy Woodhead will become a distant memory. I think Woodhead is a guy that isn't going to hurt you, I just don't think he's anything special. Decent player, but I think Vareen will be so much better in pass catching.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

He started out good and regressed. Maybe the Pats' DBs coach gave him some coaching.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's substantial but talent isn't everything and Woodhead gives you more effort and doesn't have injury concerns like Vereen. There is something to be said for heart and Woodhead has lots and lots of heart, most likely why he's on the field and Vereen isn't

[/QUOTE]

Yes, he does have heart! And great hands for how small they are!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Anyone who can make a living in the NFL out of being so tiny that the defense can't find him, God bless him.   Third and 17, and he runs the ball for a first down.

Anyone who can masquerade in plain sight as a moderately short sales clerk named "Dan" in the Patriots pro shop and the customers can't recognize him, that has to be worth something too.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hate to say it, but I think if Vareen stays healthy Woodhead will become a distant memory. I think Woodhead is a guy that isn't going to hurt you, I just don't think he's anything special. Decent player, but I think Vareen will be so much better in pass catching.

[/QUOTE]

exactly where i think its going. hes good for those special plays, but with vereen here, he will be redundant. there are only so many positions on the team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:
    [QUOTE]

woody is good.. just not on 3rd and short.. that's mcd's fault not woody's

[/QUOTE]

+1

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

surprise you are moving off vereen eng.

i think other than injury, the reason hes on the field more is they trust his knowledge of the offense more.

nobody has more heart.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Woody is expendible, he's insurance for depth issues at this point.

In all of the losses, Woody saw too many touches - but I don't blame him, I put that responsibility on McD.

And his blocking isn't that good....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Good player, in space. As many have said, not your 3rd-and-1 option out of the shotgun, where it seems every D in the league knows that play is coming.

But, along with Welker, two of the toughest little SOBs you will ever come across. These two guys take MASSIVE hits, game after game, but just get up and keep on movin'.

Sections
Shortcuts