The Defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mooney12. Show Mooney12's posts

The Defense

Why don't the Pats blitz more on third down and long distances or even second down and a long distance. Chandler, Dont'a, Brandon, Cunningham, Ninkovich, and Wilfork will at least make Peyton Manning and other QBs unaccurate. Devin, Kyle, Moore or Ras I can cover at least 3 seconds but it shouldn't take the blitz that long to rock the QB. Tavon and Ebner should be the two safeties with Patrick Stung and Please Gregory.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: The Defense

BB isn't a fan of blitzing. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

On a typical play, four rush and seven cover.  If you blitz, five or six will be rushing, which means your coverage team wil be down to six or five.  I think that's what scares BB.  This team isn't all that great in coverage when seven guys are back.  What's it like with just five or six back? If you get to the QB, fine.  But if you don't, then there's a big risk of giving up a big play.  And BB seems to hate anything that increases the risk of giving up that big play. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I don't think BB is "scared" at all, I think he believes his offense will outscore the opposing team's offense and his defense playing conservatively will hold their team to less.  He plays a completely different defense in the playoffs.  In short BB could care less about stats. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

BB hates to give up the big play!! Like Prolate said, we're having trouble covering with 7, what makes you think less will do the job? High risk high reward, will only cash in if the rush gets there, and knowing how fast PM gets rid of the ball it's not worth giving up six when you can limit the damage by keeping the play in front of you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

BB will blitz on occasion.  He just doesn't make it a big part of his defensive game plan.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I want to know why the CB's never turn to look at the ball when it's coming to the receiver they are covering.  Are the getting burned too bad and don't turn and look for the ball because they let their receiver get behind them or is this the way the Pats want them to play?  I would think they would be preached to in practice and meetings to turn and look for the ball but it doesn't seem like they are as they seem to not make an effort to turn and look for the ball.  This blows my mind evertime their receiver catches a long ball or they get called for PI.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"I want to know why the CB's never turn to look at the ball when it's coming to the receiver they are covering.  Are the getting burned too bad and don't turn and look for the ball because they let their receiver get behind them or is this the way the Pats want them to play?"

No...none'a that.  It's because Professional Football worthy starting NFL quality Wide Receivers are rude people:  Whenever NFL CBs stop and/or just slow down in order to check and see long enough in order to get a good recollection as to where the pass is, Those Rude and Selfish NFL caliber starting WRs, neither stop their route trees and precise timing patterns in order to wait for their friend, the defensive CB covering them at that instant...  Honestly, not only that, But they don't even tell them which direction as to where they're going, or even what point as to where they're ideally attempting to end up...

J#s#s Khr#ssst....(somebody fax this cherry newsflash over to Greg Bedard, 'kay?).

~~~

RE: Pats blitzing more often...  As it stands right this 2nd, I'd LOVE it.  It made sense to be EXTREMELY conservative in the blitzing department during NE's greater dependance and useage of the 3-4 set, during a great many past seasons as to their "overall" (I know, sooo many sub-packages)- favored D look.  In those days of heavy relaince on that Fairbanks-Lebeau 3-4 "Class 101" scheme, it made WAY more sense.  3 Massive stud D-Line guys (Warren/J. Green, Seymour, Wilfork/Washington- minus tiny miniscule Wilfork, you're looking at ZERO guy under 6'5 and 305lbs...beasts);  Even IF just 3 guys up front ain't gonna put alot of pressure in fully collapsing the passing pocket and getting a hit on the QB, those Man-Giants were dcent enough in order for the QB to sense at least some heat was inevitably comin' after 3-5 seconds in his passer pocket.  The rest of the way, BB banked on Flooding the passing lanes with 8(!) freak!ng defenders.  The rest was simply great additionals: 1 EXTREMELY intelligent and long-tenured Vet of NFL Vets Safety, in R Harrison...and 2 smart tenured OLBs ready to exact any sorta opening and/or mistake by the O- the first, like Rodney....smart, smart, and smart in order to smell out 1 slight err for an open opp (in pass d or pass rush as the play developed- M Vrabel)...  the other, a 6'5 270lb 4.6 running mutant (wise in his own right, no doubt opportunistically) like Willie Mac.  And again, even IF those guys aren't stepping up in a scheme, that is 8- and 8 oftentimes more often than otherwise, long-tenured intelligent NFL vets, sniffing out overall passing play direction and flooding those passing lanes/field en masse. 

Again- with THAT personell grouping of players, playing that- "Our guys WILL make you pay for even the slightest of miscalculation" within that vanilla original form of the 3-4, Is a VERY smart bet.  Dallas's 3-4 was absolutely more (hold on-SERIOUS brain-freeze) dedicated towards (term anyone?!?!) overflowing 1 side of the LOS on mass designed blitzing <more defenders than O-Linemen...sheez?!?! Word?> (when they did...which was far moreso than NE's 3-4);  They worked on freakishly athletic and fast 3-4 (particularly their 3-4 OLBs, vs. 3-4 worthy athletes whom are Mensa scholars as well-NE)...  While Pitt's 3-4 on the otherhand, was based on weird very starngely BUT VERY exacting and deliberately designed stunts by everyone in the Steel Front 7-  Weird looks, preset prior to the snap at the O-Look.  Ex:  Pitts NT and LDE would stunt with the NT swinging in front of that LDE, and the LDE skewing back & over the top, going & angling over center-right; Meanwhile, Pitts 3-4 RDE, would do something not even rush, just look to rush prior to planting and angling back and out into the side right flat of the open field off the line.  Meanwhile, Pitts ROLB would do something like skew parralellel towards the MLB (the 1 next to him), with that 1 of the 2 ILBs rushing up the middle attempting to collapse the pocket inside.  The ILB right over meantime, might cover a TE/RB coming off the line, while that final LOLB just might crowd up at the LOS looking to blitz, before Completely dropping back, thus swinging back & over in order to zone-cover that open side's-middle of the field; Ya add in a heavy-hitting Polamalu in order to hopefully attempt to smaell out any big deficiencies that suddenly pop up in this VERY "gamble-laden" type of design (EX: Coming up over the middle right sideline on top of that wide open space which could occur anywhere and everywhere all the way on back, behind that RDE who swung out into the flat);  SD as the other lone 3-4 big player of the past, enjoyed using their 3-4 in an over/under look(s).  The front 3 shifting 1 way over the O-Line, and the 4 LBs skewing the opposite way (while deploying a bit of each of the above...but not trully 1 in particular by and large, as the first 3 teams regularly did more often than not as each's particular "generalized" preferences);

~~~

But now with NE's 4 man front in anywhere from anything from a 4-3 Over...Or 4-3 Under...or very symetrical-looking 3-4 Eagles look (where every guy appears ideally positioned picture perfect (open center with 2 D-Linemen on 1 side, and 2 on the other...both DTs just shaded over the outside of each of the OCs shoulders/ 1 MLB hedging up 1 step closer directly in line w/ the OC, and the final 2 MLBs/OLBs in between each of the 2 DE/DT groupings on either side (just hedging each, a bit more towards the outsides). 

Point is: With NE rushing only 3 guys on average, they oftentimes had difficulty (past NE's very best SB runs when these NE D personell guys were in their promes and clicking on all cylinders)- getting pressure on the opposing QB...  But that was the nature of that particular Fairbanks-Lebeau 3-4 beast- Make THEM scr#w up, and have the personell and great number of personell in order to capitalize and be there when they do (i.e. frustrate them through only allowing tick-tack plays <nothing big>, into an error...then kill'em with it>); 

But Now?!?!  You Can-NOT count on ANY Defense (i.e. as it relates here=Vs. the Passing Game) being successful, WHEN deploying by and large- 4 men up front and rushing the passer...And STILL- And as it occured in this past Baltimore contest, not simply have ZERO Sacks, BUT not even 1(!)  (1?!?!) Quarterback HIT...all day long. 

That's insane.  You're not flooding the passing lanes by having an extra defender off the line in a 3-4...NOR are you affording your Secondary that help which comes with additional passing pressure up front, in the deployment of a 4 men front...

In otherwords...SO BLITZ for god's sakes!!!  Send a 5th man more often, IF you're not gonna have that added benefit by having all those additional personell in the span of the passing field (3-4 days).  Using a 4 Man front (vs a 3 man front) AND getting zero sacks, OR zero QB hits...Makes it pointless, It makes the benefits of it's usage, one of being in limbo. 

As a Final Say:  IF NE's 4 man front is still getting little to no pressure on the passing QB, I DO expect to see more blitzing come the 2nd half of this '12 Season...  Personally, there's still so many either Totally new individual components up in the Front 7, and/or Just a great many young/new Front 7 components and Vets, but both playoing in pretty new Base Front 7 designs here in NE's Scheme (last year and this...that's really it, minus sub sets of the past).  <Personally, I think BB was a bit taken aback and now sorta "gun-shy" upon deploying that nice 4-3 Over and getting Soooo much pressure and heat vs opponents up front during the entirety of the 2011 Preseason...only to start that Regular Season last year, rushing 5, 6, and even 7 guys at times during the first 4 or 5 '11 Reg Season Games, and having next to nothin' in terms of up-front pressure early on last year, while consecutively leaving your entire backfield nearly empty and so easily exploitable as an immediate & direct result>          

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to LazarusintheSanatorium's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"I want to know why the CB's never turn to look at the ball when it's coming to the receiver they are covering.  Are the getting burned too bad and don't turn and look for the ball because they let their receiver get behind them or is this the way the Pats want them to play?"

No...none'a that.  It's because Professional Football worthy starting NFL quality Wide Receivers are rude people:  Whenever NFL CBs stop and/or just slow down in order to check and see long enough in order to get a good recollection as to where the pass is, Those Rude and Selfish NFL caliber starting WRs, neither stop their route trees and precise timing patterns in order to wait for their friend, the defensive CB covering them at that instant...  Honestly, not only that, But they don't even tell them which direction as to where they're going, or even what point as to where they're ideally attempting to end up...

[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely true.  I've sort of ignored the turn your head noise around here but it's reached epic proportions of oversimplification.  I hate to play the "have you ever played" card but it sure does make you wonder.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to LazarusintheSanatorium's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely true.  I've sort of ignored the turn your head noise around here but it's reached epic proportions of oversimplification.  I hate to play the "have you ever played" card but it sure does make you wonder.

[/QUOTE]

No, no, no!  Have you not seen where the CB is stride for stride, everyone says they watch the eyes and can tell when the ball is in the air or even near so at this time turn the head and make a play on the ball otherwise, as we have all seen on the Patriots CB's, the ball is either caught by the WR or the CB is called for PI.  We see it all the time.  THe good CB's all turn their heads and make a play on the ball.  As far as playing, ha!  I have played WR, CB and Safety long enough to know this so the have you played argument isn't even an argument.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

yeah, well....let's use a cover 2 or cover 3 all day and just give them the middle of the field, give up tons of yards between the 80s and coach situational football w/i the defensive red zone.

Oh, wait a sec....we already do that....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I understand not wanting to give up the "big play"....but if we are (successfully) getting pressure by blitzing, the big play might not have enough time to develop. Maybe it's me, but aren't most of the top defenses in the NFL blitzing a LOT? Personally, I would think giving the QB less time would help our DBs? Conservative drives me nuts...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'll tell you what, I'm a little surprised they haven't blitzed a bit more to be honest, because I think Spikes is really good at it. I've got to admit I thought both Spikes and Hightower would be in the backfield a lot more as pass rushers - and truthfully it's early, so they very well could be in the future, but I thought it would be more. The blitz is, and always has been a risky proposition, if you don't get there you are cooked. We are definetely a game plan specific type of team - if they see a QB and offense they think can't handle the blitz or a line that can't...we'll see it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

If we blitz they burn us down the sidelines or up the seems with a TE. That means less men to help tackled the guy possibly short of the first down and less men in coverage for a deep pass depending how long the 3rd down is.

Besides Jones we don't have many great outside rushers. You put all big men on the front 4 and start to bring in guys like Mayo, Hightower or Spikes to the line, well it's fairly obvious to the offense what we are trying to do. The offense, especially one ran by a guy like Peyton(or really any other QB who can burn us in this passing league), will simply audible out of the previous call and burn us on a short pass or lob it up to one of the WR's that is undoubtably bigger and stronger than any of our CB/safeys.

There is very little to fear from this defense and opposing offenses take advantage of us on 3rd and long knowing that is our weakest point.

What I really want answered is we run an offense were we take what we are given and will march down field 5 yards at a time, it works great. Yet our defense plays the bend but don't break style and will let teams march down field 5 yards at a time. You would think BB would do something about this, at least some of the time. Obviously no one wants to give up the big play, but why not blitz every once in a while just to keep them honest?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'll tell you what, I'm a little surprised they haven't blitzed a bit more to be honest, because I think Spikes is really good at it. I've got to admit I thought both Spikes and Hightower would be in the backfield a lot more as pass rushers - and truthfully it's early, so they very well could be in the future, but I thought it would be more. The blitz is, and always has been a risky proposition, if you don't get there you are cooked. We are definetely a game plan specific type of team - if they see a QB and offense they think can't handle the blitz or a line that can't...we'll see it.

[/QUOTE]

+================================================================

Agreed about Spikes and Hightower.  In the Bills game it was Hightower, I think, who just tossed a Bill RB aside when we tried to pass block.  Our big LBs might be a bit slow to defend against the pass, but they might give the opponents offense real pass blocking problems. 

Sections
Shortcuts