The defense was more impressive last night!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The defense was more impressive last night!

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not someone who doubts TFB's HOF level of play week in and week out or dares to think we'll be a perenial Superbowl favorites annually once he's gone, but give credit where credit is due. The Defense was a 100 times more impressive than the offense. 

The Offense, while also impressive, did what both Jacksonville and Detriot had done to a depleted Texans' defense with half their LB corps injured. Kudos to them putting 42 points up, but it certainly wasn't impressive. I'm glad Stallworth broke out and made everyone know that he's a threat, because Lloyd and Welker are going to keep drawing coverages and we need someone to make defenses pay deep. 

Anyone can say what they want, but the defense held Houston, a team that has failed to score 20 points only one other time this season, to 14 points (7 if you want to get technical). Kept Andre Johnson (The best WR in the NFL) out of the endzone and limited Arian Foster (Best RB in Football) to a 3.1 while keeping Owen Daniels in line. 

The offense was good, but we already know what Brady is capable of. He's the best QB in the NFL (He's still not a great deep ball thrower, though) and with such a banged up defense in front of him, I expected nothing less from his offense. 

Everyone had a shootout pegged for the defense, except me (21-10 was my score), but they played well! Anyway, great win for the Pats! We just have to win out and hope Indy can get one from Houston and we get the number 1 seed!

GO PATS!!! 2012, is the year of QB12!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: The defense was more impressive last night!

The D has certainly progressed... a long way. Depth helps. And having a number of efffective blitzers they are (finally) willing to use makes a difference. Perhaps having a good pair of safeties (McCourty and Gregory) and more effective CBs (Talib and Dennard) and Arrington played decently as "star" makes BB feel able to dial it in. Mayo, Hightower, Nink all good blitzers. Also Arrington.

I like that this D is physical and atheletic. But they certainly are physical. And flexible.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I don't see any reason to call out one squad over the other. Pats played well in all three phases. Best overall game of the year in my opinion and against good competition.

Defense is looking much better though with the improved secondary (talent makes a difference!). Thought the front seven was particularly strong too, especially Mayo.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

I'm sitting here, right hand raised, clearly stating that I NOW have faith in this defense. They made the Texans one dimensional (Foster was taken out of the game), and Schaub looked pedestrian. This was like watching the 2004 defense. They did a great job, and the defensive game plan was solid.

GREAT JOB!

I most certainly hope that they maintain this progress, and not pull a Lucy/Charlie Brown deal, when she oulls the ball away just as he's getting ready to kick it. It was most enjoyable to see them play a game against a good/certifiable opponent, and not have to chomp on what remains of my fingernails or having a borderline heart attack waiting out final game results.

I can see the Texans hving their hnds full with Colts for 2 games, sandwiching Adrian Peterson. Their #1 seed is most definitely in trouble, after last night's performance. Great to see the Oats having the head to head tiebreaker with the Broncos and Texans. It wold be kind of nice if the Ravens can rise up and smite those Broncos next week, though. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejb222. Show ejb222's posts

I would say great game all around. I hope all the Mayo bashers are starting to see the light.

Apart from that, this game gives me a little more hopefull attitude to the 49ers game. That is going to be a smashmouth football game! I think we will miss gronk for the 49ers more than last night. But I dont see why we can't post 42 on SanFran too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

The D has steadily improved these last few weeks and last night gave their absolute best and had a monster game against one of the better offenses in the NFL.  If they can maintain this level of play, THIS is the kind of defense that can help you get to and ultimately win the SB. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The D has steadily improved these last few weeks and last night gave their absolute best and had a monster game against one of the better offenses in the NFL.  If they can maintain this level of play, THIS is the kind of defense that can help you get to and ultimately win the SB. 

[/QUOTE]

Agree... It'll be an "attention getter" for all the RIGHT reasons.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

This was easily the best performance by the D in a long time considering the result and the quality of the opponent.  All 3 phases of the game were excellent.  I think the most encouraging thing was that they only forced one turnover and still made a ton of stops.  3rd down execution on both sides of the ball was unreal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Darn straight they were impressive last night! Wilfork is simply amazing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

D was awesome...IMO Wilfork was player of the game, even over Tom with his 4 TDs

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

The Pats D has given up the 11th fewest points in the league at 21.1 points per game allowed. They are less than one point per game from being the number 6 team (Ravens, Browns, Steelers, Giants and Texans are just ahead of them, at between 20.2 and 21.0 PPG), and 1.4 point per game from being the number 4 Defense in PPG (Falcons and Broncos are at 19.9 and 19.8). That means if they had just given up 2 fewer TDs and 1 less FG in the 11 games so far, they would be the 4th best team in the league in points allowed. Not as bad as they have been made out to be. Took some time for them to gel, but they are hitting their stride...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

We have the best offense in the NFL and a vastly improving defense. Much of the progress with the defense has to do with the acquisition of Talib and the emergence of Dennard. We still have problems generating pressure when we rush 4 but having capable corners who can play "man" has allowed BB to finally blitz more and hurry opposing QBs. The reassuring thought is: if we can keep Talib and Dennard healthy, this defense will only get better.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

D was awesome...IMO Wilfork was player of the game, even over Tom with his 4 TDs

[/QUOTE]

Mm-hmm.

"Houston by 10...that's my pick!"

Fairweather fan.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to trouts' comment:
    [QUOTE]

We have the best offense in the NFL and a vastly improving defense. Much of the progress with the defense has to do with the acquisition of Talib and the emergence of Dennard. We still have problems generating pressure when we rush 4 but having capable corners who can play "man" has allowed BB to finally blitz more and hurry opposing QBs. The reassuring thought is: if we can keep Talib and Dennard healthy, this defense will only get better.

[/QUOTE]

Yep. I posted right around the trade that if the addition of Talib helped rotate the D into better natural position fits, they might earn 1-2 extra stops per game, which could translate to cutting opposing PPG by 3-4 points. Many disagreed, but the Pats gave up 22.33 over the first 9 games (pre-Talib), while giving up 18.25 over the last 4 (post-Talib), a difference of -4.08 points per game. (And had it not been for the gift TD after the Mallet deflection INT, it would be a difference of -5.83 PPG.)

And please don't lose sight of the face that Arrington is an extremely capable slot corner. The guy was breaking up plays all over the field last night.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would probably agree with that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Pats D has given up the 11th fewest points in the league at 21.1 points per game allowed. They are less than one point per game from being the number 6 team (Ravens, Browns, Steelers, Giants and Texans are just ahead of them, at between 20.2 and 21.0 PPG), and 1.4 point per game from being the number 4 Defense in PPG (Falcons and Broncos are at 19.9 and 19.8). That means if they had just given up 2 fewer TDs and 1 less FG in the 11 games so far, they would be the 4th best team in the league in points allowed. Not as bad as they have been made out to be. Took some time for them to gel, but they are hitting their stride...

[/QUOTE]

To add to your point, had the backup quarterback and fourth-string TE not had that late interception, the Texans wouldn't have had that second TD and the Pats' D would be ranked seventh or eighth in points allowed.

And that's something else to be considered. While there were a couple of games early in the lead -- the losses -- where the Pats' couldn't make a stop late and allowed the late TD, there have been a number of games this year where the Pats had big leads and gave up a garbage TD -- like last night -- on the opposing team's final possession (or second-to-last) when the game was already decided and the Pats had more backups in and were playing a basic defense.

Not trying to oversell the D. But even in the beginning of the year when they let teams back in the game, they did make some key stops early that allowed the Pats to build the lead. So I think the seeds were there for a very good defene and it's starting to come together now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mm-hmm.

Fairweather fan.

[/QUOTE]

You accused me of picking the Texan's by ten last night also. do you accuse everyone of this?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mm-hmm.

Fairweather fan.

[/QUOTE]

You accused me of picking the Texan's by ten last night also. do you accuse everyone of this?

[/QUOTE]

Nope, I apologized to you later on the game thread. Your screen names are similar; my bad.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

I was wrong....shoot me.....Wish i had your foresight, I remember specifically you had picked Pats 42-14......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

The D is looking better and better.  There is one thing on offense that is also raising my hopes for not just going to the big game, but winning it.  We can chew time off the clock now with a running game.  Eli might not have gotten the ball back if we could have done that last year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]

I was wrong....shoot me.....Wish i had your foresight, I remember specifically you had picked Pats 42-14......

[/QUOTE]

Funny, I specifically remember offering to bet my $600 versus your $200, only for you to decline with a whimper.

I have a strange feeling it'll be easier find post of my remembrance than yours, lol.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

My offer was 200 against 2000, as you wanted the 10 points...now who wimped out????

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]

My offer was 200 against 2000, as you wanted the 10 points...now who wimped out????

[/QUOTE]

Dude, I ain't mad at you, for real; just jocking you. :)

Just you're on a Pats fan site, and for a team that has lost 3 games by a total of 4 points, you gotta admit your prediction was a little "out there," no?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

I was wrong..I would rather have Pats bounced out of Playoffs than lose another SB