The Defensive End Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCommittee. Show TheCommittee's posts

The Defensive End Thread

We all know at this point that DE is a huge need for this team. Jarvis Green didn't resign, and Mike Wright isn't ideally suited for the 3-4. Since there aren't any names in free agency that have the potential to fill Seymour's old spot, there is a high probability that the replacement could come via this years draft. Now, several names come to mind:

1) Ndamukong Suh
    2) Jared Odrick
    3) Alex Carrington
    4) Lamarr Houston
    5) Tyson Alaulu

Barring an absolute miracle, Suh will be long gone before the Pats pick. Everyone else listed is a legitimate possibility at #22 or later. That said, who would you take (doesn't have to be someone listed) to fill in Seymour's spot?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

Re: The Defensive End Thread

CARRINGTON in the second round!  ideal size and speed.  STRONG.  excellent at the point of attack, effectively stopping the run.  also able to push the pocket to disrupt the passer.  im really high on this kid and think he is super under rated and way better than odrick, houston, and alualu.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Strange draft for DE's to hold the edge against the run,Carrington is good but Ricky Sapp is a Hybrid who can play on all 3 downs! He's not quite as big as Willie McGinnest was but he's close Kindle from texas is in the same range but he's more of a LB than a DE..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

I was going to start a thread on this.  Specifically about Odrick.  I just get the feeling he could be the Patriots pick.  Here are my reasons:

1.  BB values the defensive line EXTREMELY high.  Every time there has been a glaring hole on the 3-4 defensive line, he's drafted one in the first round (Seymour in 2001, Warren in 2003, Wilfork in 2004).  Now, there is a glaring hole again.

2. Odrick will be by far the highest rated 3-4 end available when the Patriots are on the clock at #22 (IF he's even available then).  BB values length in the 5-technique position (Seymour is 6-6, Warren is 6-5).  Odrick has the length that many of the other prospects don't (he's 6'5, strong at the point of attack, and quick enough to penetrate).

3. The draft is very deep in pass rushers and very good ones can be had in the second round.  There are good lineman too but after Odrick, there is a considerable drop off.

All this leads me to just get a feeling that this guy may be a Patriot on April 22.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I like Jared Odrick

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I think the best value will be in Rd 2.

I'll take Carrington, 6-5 285 (frame to add more), he's stout against the run with the ability to occupy double teams and clog run lanes (which is the main objective of a 3-4 DE).  Also has the instincts, quickness, long arms and upper body strength to keep defenders off his body, push the pocket to create pressure and make plays behind the LOS.

I'm also very high on Alualu, love his motor, athleticism and versatility.

Al Woods (LSU) and Corey Peters (Kentucky) are a couple of SEC kids that I like in the later rounds. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Pats definetly need a couple of good young DE's. this might be the year to get them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCommittee. Show TheCommittee's posts

The question is who do you get to fill in that 3rd spot. Odrick has all the measurables (height, weight), but whenever I watch him play I see "just another guy." While he doesn't necessarily hurt his team in any way, he doesn't stand out as someone who will immediately succeed as a 3-4 DE. The big question I have with Odrick is his run-stuffing ability - I don't quite see him making as many stops as I would like (to his credit, however, Odrick is double and triple-teamed on nearly every play, and Penn State's D-Line wasn't anything to brag about outside of Odrick). Perhaps this is just a matter of perception of what I've seen from him, although several of the scouting reports I've read on him echo similar observations.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

here's some different opinions:

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-football/article/2009-08-24/2010-draft-watch-top-10-defensive-ends

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010DE3-4.php

http://www.sbnation.com/section/2010-draft-profiles-defensive-ends