The delay of game penalty?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

The delay of game penalty?

Miami 3rd down, 18 plus yards, Pats stop them,  Miami , delay of game, 5 yard penalty, replay third down, so now its 3rd and 20 something and of coarse they make the 1st down. Why isn't the opposing team allowed to decline the penality? I ve seen this happen before and always wonder why they reward the team that made the mistake.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: The delay of game penalty?

the problem with that particular play is once the play clock strikes 0 the ref is to come in and blow the play dead with arms waving. Technically the play never occurred. I have never seen a delay of game penalty run all the way thru and then the flag come at the conclusion like yesterday. But to answer your question; teams can't decline because the penalty occurred Before the play so technically the play never occurred.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

the problem with that particular play is once the play clock strikes 0 the ref is to come in and blow the play dead with arms waving. Technically the play never occurred. I have never seen a delay of game penalty run all the way thru and then the flag come at the conclusion like yesterday. But to answer your question; teams can't decline because the penalty occurred Before the play so technically the play never occurred.

Very good explanation.  And now that you mention it, I do not recall ever seeing a play completed and then called for a delay of game either.   That was very strange. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

thank you understand it now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

It was also the right call.  When the play continued I said to those with me "Why didn't they call delay of game?"  it was obvious.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

Talking about penalties, here is a stupid one.  On a point after attempt, with a penalty on the offense, the defense has the choice of whether or not to accept.  If they accept, the penalty is assessed and then play continues.  A better choice would be to have a third choice and that would be to have penalty assessed on the kickoff.  After all, what is the difference between a 20 yd PAT attempt and a 30 yd PAT.  They are both virtually automatic.  Better to to give up the point and have the team kick off from the 25 yd line rather than the 35.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

My problem with delay of game is that refs are pretty arbitrary on the strictness of its implementation. Peyton, for example, got away with a lot of those in the past. Sometimes he throws practically a full second past the expiration of the play clock and he does not get called for it. Funny too, they seem to be never called call him for when he completes the pass.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

My problem with delay of game is that refs are pretty arbitrary on the strictness of its implementation. Peyton, for example, got away with a lot of those in the past. Sometimes he throws practically a full second past the expiration of the play clock and he does not get called for it. Funny too, they seem to be never called call him for when he completes the pass.

Paranoia.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

You have to understand that the clock that you see on TV and in the endzones is NOT the official playclock clock and can be up to a second off. Unless the ref doesn't notice that the displayed clocks are off, in that case all bets are off on the accuracy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Same as false start - its automatically enforced. An offsides can be declined by the offense, but a false start cant be declined by the defense...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

You have to understand that the clock that you see on TV and in the endzones is NOT the official playclock clock and can be up to a second off. Unless the ref doesn't notice that the displayed clocks are off, in that case all bets are off on the accuracy.

I know that is the official explanation given. It does not make sense however.

Even if the clock on TV is not the same clock used by the field officials, clocks are so precise there should not be a noticeable difference between when the two clocks show time has expired. With today's tech, how difficult is it to synchronize what you see on TV with the official clock? Actually, with today's tech, it should not be difficult to show on TV the official clock.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The Dolphins completed it because the Pats blitzed, got tpp cute. The Pats only had 2 guys for 5 Dolphins, I believe.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

In response to rtuinila's comment:

I know that is the official explanation given. It does not make sense however.

Even if the clock on TV is not the same clock used by the field officials, clocks are so precise there should not be a noticeable difference between when the two clocks show time has expired. With today's tech, how difficult is it to synchronize what you see on TV with the official clock? Actually, with today's tech, it should not be difficult to show on TV the official clock.

The big problem is there are two different people pushing the button to start the clocks. The "Official Timekeeper" is on the field. The unofficial timekeeper (TV and endzones) is in the booth. Until recently there really hasn't been a technology that would let one person, on the field, start both clocks that wasn't susceptable to tampering.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Is it me or on delay of game pl it used to be lose of yards and lose of a down?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

The problem is that once the clock hits zero, the official watching it still has to turn and verify that the ball has not yet been snapped. That's why so often you see teams getting away with snapping the ball at 0 seconds. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to SLGDEV's comment:

Talking about penalties, here is a stupid one.  On a point after attempt, with a penalty on the offense, the defense has the choice of whether or not to accept.  If they accept, the penalty is assessed and then play continues.  A better choice would be to have a third choice and that would be to have penalty assessed on the kickoff.  After all, what is the difference between a 20 yd PAT attempt and a 30 yd PAT.  They are both virtually automatic.  Better to to give up the point and have the team kick off from the 25 yd line rather than the 35.

Yeah, kicking has been discussed by BB as creating non-play plays and I agree.  When the NFL began these guys didn't have the accuracy and power.  They are still basically kicking the ball from the same distance as high schoolers which results in over 99% of PATs successful.  Of course you'd still have to figure out the 2 point conversion.  But I like your idea, 20 or 30 yards to an NFL kicker is nothing.

Sections
Shortcuts