The ELITES have surpassed Belichick the GM...Could it be that the LEAGUE is simply catching up to the PATS?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Re: The LEAGUE has caught up to Belichick...Could it be that the other teams have just surpassed the PATS?

I'd say the league has caught up to BB. More so we can't rely on 2nd rate coordinators anymore. First move this offseason is bring in some upgrades in the coaching staff. Currently we have a bend and break defense and a offense that is too predictable and doesn't seem to do a good job adjusting to teams halftime adjustments. I don't think this team is terrible especially when 4-5 loses have been a touchdown or less. What hurts the Patriots is they haven't beaten a quality team this year so better coaching could and often does make a difference in some of those close losses. Regardless of how the rest of this season goes I'm expecting to see a lot of moves in both the coaching ranks and player movement this offseason. It might result in a less than spectacular 2010 with all the turn over, but if they can make a lot more good moves then bad ones it might not be long before the Pats are the head of the class in the NFL.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Re: The LEAGUE has caught up to Belichick...Could it be that the other teams have just surpassed the PATS?

I'd say the league has surpassed the Steelers. Losing to the Browns in the 13-3. Yikes!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

The league has caught up to Belichek?  Nonsense.  You guys are jumping ship way too early. Calm down.  You got Miami coming for a playoff rubber match.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: The LEAGUE has caught up to Belichick...Could it be that the other teams have just surpassed the PATS?:
    The league has caught up to Belichek?  Nonsense.  You guys are jumping ship way too early. Calm down.  You got Miami coming for a playoff rubber match.   
    Posted by oggieman

Yeah apparently NE has lost it, can't coach, can't get talent from the draft, can't sign free agents.  They are going to fire Belichick and cut Brady and Moss next year. 

Do you think Miami or anybody else would want those guys?  Probably not, they all suuck and every other team has way better players.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

In Response to Re: The LEAGUE has caught up to Belichick...Could it be that the other teams have just surpassed the PATS?:
    In Response to Re: The LEAGUE has caught up to Belichick...Could it be that the other teams have just surpassed the PATS? : Yeah apparently NE has lost it, can't coach, can't get talent from the draft, can't sign free agents.  They are going to fire Belichick and cut Brady and Moss next year.  Do you think Miami or anybody else would want those guys?  Probably not, they all suuck and every other team has way better players.
    Posted by shenanigan

This place is getting too depressing for me...but 72 hours from now, you'll all be singing a different tune...see you then...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: The LEAGUE has caught up to Belichick...Could it be that the other ELITES have just surpassed the PATS?

- oggieman

I've got more in common with you this week it appears.  I never would imagine a Dophin fan trying to cheer up Pat fans! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbazilla. Show bubbazilla's posts

Re: The LEAGUE has caught up to Belichick...Could it be that the other ELITES have just surpassed the PATS?

no doubt oog, pats will PREVAIL. everything is now in place with the HEART. they may not have talent and schemes to match up with the elites like the saints and indy but they have enough to do so against their next 4 opponents.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from STAUGGY. Show STAUGGY's posts

Re: Has the game caught up to Belichick...Could it be that the other teams have just caught up to and surpassed the PATS?

In Response to Re: Has the game caught up to Belichick...Could it be that the other teams have just caught up to and surpassed the PATS?:
    In Response to Re: Has the game caught up to Belichick...Could it be that the other teams have just caught up to and surpassed the PATS? : Killa, the people that post here are representative of our society as a whole.  Haven't all of us worked with people who always see doom and gloom, boss knows nothing, owner knows nothing, company will go out of business, and I could go on and on.  I've worked with quite a few of them.  Some of them are good friends; just pessimistic as he ll.  I would never invite them to the house to cheer me up.
    Posted by carawaydj

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from STAUGGY. Show STAUGGY's posts

In Response to Re: The LEAGUE has caught up to Belichick...Could it be that the other ELITES have just surpassed the PATS?:
    In Response to Re: The LEAGUE has caught up to Belichick...Could it be that the other teams have just surpassed the PATS? : good points! fact is belichick the GM is hurting Belichick the coach! thats y most teams choose not to give anyone all that power. no team has gotten less from the draft in terms of starters than the PATS! 5 starters in 5 years says it all! pats need help. we need to do what the yanks did last off season during our next one. we need real pats in terms of both talent and attitude. burgess, moss and AD are not real PATS! you keep a vrabel or seymour if only for those reasons! rather have a vrabes playg only half the snaps than some stud who can play 90 percent with lousy attitude.
    Posted by bubbazilla
       Wow these positive cheerleaders would have made great politicians ,every thing going to come up roses so stear the Titanic right pass the iceberg. The Pats are taking on water up to BB'S EARS.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: The LEAGUE has caught up to Belichick...Could it be that the other ELITES have just surpassed the PATS?:
    In Response to Re: The LEAGUE has caught up to Belichick...Could it be that the other ELITES have just surpassed the PATS? :    Wow these positive cheerleaders would have made great politicians ,every thing going to come up roses so stear the Titanic right pass the iceberg. The Pats are taking on water up to BB'S EARS.
    Posted by STAUGGY

I didn't know BB was only 2 FT tall...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

- oggieman I've got more in common with you this week it appears.  I never would imagine a Dophin fan trying to cheer up Pat fans! 
    Posted by garytx

Well, I got my reasons... and you may not like my reasons.  But here goes.  I love when the Dolphins beat the Pats almost as much as I love when the Dolphins beat the Jets.  The Dolphins-Pats rivalry is bitter--but there is a mutual respect--between the teams and the fans. Personally, I want the Fins to have one more shot at the Pats this year.  Playing the Pats in the playoffs would ensure a great rivalry game, a great playoff game.  And when your season is over, I want it to be the Fins who deliver the knockout punch to the Pats.  When your run is over, I want it to be the Fins that end it. 

So here I am talking with the enemy, and I feel like I am trying to hold up a wobbly fighter (the Pats) so the Fins can get one more punch in--the knockout punch.

But the truth is that I believe you still have a good team--a very good team. And I know you have the best coach in football.  

The day could come when the game of football catches up with Belichek.  But I refuse to believe that day has come.  Not after what I saw last Sunday when I watched him at the game.  I watched him on the sideline.  And I watched how he scared Miami so much that they didn't even try to run the wildcat, their signature play, at all.  That tells me one thing: Sporano knows that Belichek is still the best. And Sporano knows a lot more about coaching than any of us.    

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

Pats win 31-13-with or without Brady.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Pats win 31-13-with or without Brady.
    Posted by oggieman

This Sunday or against the 'Fins in the rubber match...;^)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: The LEAGUE has caught up to Belichick...Could it be that the other ELITES have just surpassed the PATS? : This Sunday or against the 'Fins in the rubber match...;^)
    Posted by harleyroadking103

Either!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

In Response to Re: The LEAGUE has caught up to Belichick...Could it be that the other ELITES have just surpassed the PATS? : Either!
    Posted by apdynasty23

Wise guys--this sunday, 31-13.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

The Champ is staggering; and now he falls to his knees.  The ref waves off the the angry mob "on the front burner", and stands over the champ------ready to start the dreaded "10 count."  The boxing world, and the world of professional sports, lets out a collective gasp. Is this how it ends?  Has the champ lost his will to fight?  The questions are piling up, one after another, as if fired from a machine gun trying to kill an 800 pound gorilla--and now the whispers turn to shouts: "Can Belichek still coach?  Has he lost control of his locker room."  The ref stands over the champ, waving his arm as he commences the 10 count: "1....2.....3.....". The pats are down on both knees now with a dazed look in their eye; and the fans are ringside "on the front burner", having lost all hope,  screaming the absured and the ridculous... "this one stinks; Brady lost his fight; Belichek can't go no more; remember the glory days.........and maybe it's the year of the Jests..." The ref looks stunned and asks himself "What did they say?".  The challenger in waiting, dressed in Aqua and Orange, muses "that's it? That's all it took?  A 1 point, last minute win knocks them out? Get up you bum because I got next".  And the ref continues "4...5....6.....".   Now you wait, keep your fingers crossed, pray for Sunday, and see if the Champ can get up and regain his legs before the ref finishes the 10 count.  I say they beat the 10 count:  31-13.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat. Show seattlepat's posts

In Response to The LEAGUE has caught up to Belichick...Could it be that the other ELITES have just surpassed the PATS?:

Yeah. They have caught up, but I am also hopeful that while it's too late for this season, BB is smart enough to learn from this and adapt to come back stronger next season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Re: Has the game caught up to Belichick...Could it be that the other teams just surpassed the PATS?

In Response to Re: Has the game caught up to Belichick...Could it be that the other teams just surpassed the PATS?:
    The game has caught up to Belichick - better yet, the league caught up to Belichick. Now they know he's going to try to take away their strength.  They know what he's going to do in each situation, and they're prepared. They need some spark again, and someone like Weis might be the answer to their current predictability.
    Posted by NickC1188

And I think it is a personnel thing.  As years go by I think more and more that it is not coaching but personnel.  Belichick is very smart and has thrown some sick schemes at teams in the past (my colts included) but if you don't have the personnel with the skill and mindset to effectively carry out those schemes, then the schemes are worthless. 

Look at the excellence of Dungy's defenses in Tampa.  He could never duplicate that in Indy because the personnel focus was on Offense, but the Tampa 2 was considered a great defense. 

By the same token, the great personnel Belichick had in the early part of the decade allowed him to use his schemes to their fullest extent.  Attempting to do the same with the current squad is not possible.  Whether it is talent, intelligence, desire, or synergy or some or all of the above, the Pats d had those things in the early part of the decade.  They do not have it now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to The LEAGUE has caught up to Belichick...Could it be that the other ELITES have just surpassed the PATS?:
    as they say, the other teams get paid too. we seemed to think that if brady and BB just showed up, it would all be gravy. look at how a peyton coaches.. used to be ONLY bel had the guts to do such things like go for it in crucial 4th downs, come up with creative offensive schemes, or get guys immediately off the street to come in and produce on defense. others are also on the imitation bandwagon. same with the draft. others too look for bargains and beat us to the punch on things. also with so many ex-pat coaches and managemt guys around the league, they are increasingly beatg us to the punch on hi-value type guys. we are no longer that hungry or the udogs. other guys are much hungrier and with more desire to prove stuff. we have gotten a bit fat, arrogant and complacent. cant seem to make adjustments or to adapt to others. seem to think its just all about us. just play our game.. wrong! as others change, we must too at times. used to be we had a monopoly on young hungry and productive coaches ahead of the curve. we no longer have that edge. dean pees has to go! used to be we would just eat guys like oakland for lunch on trades... yet the burgess deals just stink. same with findg thrash heap free agents as we did with vrabel. now, look at us.. galloway and springs are total busts that cost us a lotta $$. we still do a lot of the same stuff, it just doesnt work or surprise anymore. it used to be bel would outscheme, outintimidate and outthink eveyone, now no one is shaking and seem to look forward to rubbing it in with him. they are now playing chess, as we play checkers. they are on to the next big things while we are still cruising around with our model Ts, talking about how great we USED to be. we better wake up and join the present while getting a jump on the FUTURE AGAIN! bottom line, i still hope this team can sneak into the playoffs and make a run. realistically, i think they have to lose again so that belichik can see the light as he did after 06 when it he was slapped in face about our mediocre WRs. the problem isnt just personnel and talent but more fundamentally with schemes and philosophy. much harder to change that in mid-season. old belichick aint walkg through that door. he's now like the 5th best coach. used to be peerless. brady is now like the 7th best QB, used to be he also had no peer. likewise with moss at WR. we need a major roster makeover and assistant coaches' turnover. must consider tradg  brady and other type guys in off-season also. time to end the seau comebacks next year also. we may have to just blow it all up and reload with better approach and schemes!
    Posted by bubbazilla

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

Best post of the year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gianfran. Show gianfran's posts

A guy at work who likes to bust my balls whenever the Pats lose asked me the other day who their defensive coordinator was and when I said, "Dean Pees," he looked at me as if he thought maybe I had just made that name up. What does that have to do with this? As Demetri Martin likes to say, "Think about it."
    Posted by prairiemike

For DC and OC we have Peas and potatos but no meat!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Re: Has the game caught up to Belichick...Could it be that the other teams just surpassed the PATS?

In Response to Re: Has the game caught up to Belichick...Could it be that the other teams just surpassed the PATS?:
    In Response to Re: Has the game caught up to Belichick...Could it be that the other teams just surpassed the PATS? : And I think it is a personnel thing.  As years go by I think more and more that it is not coaching but personnel.  Belichick is very smart and has thrown some sick schemes at teams in the past (my colts included) but if you don't have the personnel with the skill and mindset to effectively carry out those schemes, then the schemes are worthless.  Look at the excellence of Dungy's defenses in Tampa.  He could never duplicate that in Indy because the personnel focus was on Offense, but the Tampa 2 was considered a great defense.  By the same token, the great personnel Belichick had in the early part of the decade allowed him to use his schemes to their fullest extent.  Attempting to do the same with the current squad is not possible.  Whether it is talent, intelligence, desire, or synergy or some or all of the above, the Pats d had those things in the early part of the decade.  They do not have it now.
    Posted by underdoggg

Dungy's last 3 years in Tampa he was 11-5,10-6 and 9-7.  The year after he left the same basic personnel (Brooks, Sapp, Barber etal) won the Superbowl.  The significant change the team made was getting Jon Gruden who gave them an offense that didn't turn the ball over and moved the ball just enough to allow the defense to win games.

Tampa's Superbowl defense was still run by coordinator Monte Kiffin who Tampa gave head coach money to and defensive line coach Rod Marinelli who the Bucs made an assistant head coach so that he couldn't leave.

I agree with your premise that you have to have the players but you need a coach that puts them in a position to win also.

I would think that from a Colt fan's perspective, many people would feel that Dungy added just enough defense to the prolific offense that he inherited in order for them to win a Superbowl.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from xyxy225. Show xyxy225's posts

Re: The ELITES have surpassed Belichick...Could it be that the LEAGUE is simply catching up to the PATS?

Only the Chargers and Colts have scored more points than the Pats in the AFC. As for defense, they don't get sacks or force turnovers and they need better cornerbacks. That's about it. Don't throw the coach under the bus because of a second consecutive road loss after a very short week. Hard to make adjustments in a day or two in that situation.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: The ELITES have surpassed Belichick...Could it be that the LEAGUE is simply catching up to the PATS?

H.L. Mencken said, "For every complex problem there is a simple solution. And it's always wrong."

Of course, H.L. Mencken wasn't a football coach.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbazilla. Show bubbazilla's posts

In Response to Re: The ELITES have surpassed Belichick...Could it be that the LEAGUE is simply catching up to the PATS?:
    Only the Chargers and Colts have scored more points than the Pats in the AFC. As for defense, they don't get sacks or force turnovers and they need better cornerbacks. That's about it. Don't throw the coach under the bus because of a second consecutive road loss after a very short week. Hard to make adjustments in a day or two in that situation.
    Posted by xyxy225
    in bel the coach i still TRUST. in bel the GM, i have major beef with. our personnel simply do not have the talent. he put them together. he is the one who outbid HIMSELF for the likes of shawn springs, joey galloway and derrick burgess. even with AD, he is the one who chose to ignore from where he came as he fell in lust with him (ravens) and the toxic Miami hurrricane type culture that it was led by (RAY LEWIS, ED REED...yep, rex ryan too). our defense has the LEAST sacks in 17 years of any other patriot team. this is the least productive unit in belichick's entire coaching tenure! that cant be ignored esp when we look at what happened last year and the previous one, and how 2006 ended.. this is a TREND! i hope this represents a bottom of the trend from which bel can start rising from next year and not a beginning of a bigger free fall! no excuses, we stink! optimistic with bel the coach, pessimistic with bel the GM... stop peeing on my head and telling me its RAINING! every move he makes now, i get more perplexed and start quivering as i wonder how much further back it is going to regress us. his drafts, trades (of late, minus moss and welk) mostly stink in comparison to his peers like the freakin COLTS or SAINTS! 

Sections
Shortcuts