THE EVOLVING MIND OF BILL BELICHICK ~ ROOKIES VS VETERANS STRATEGY

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

THE EVOLVING MIND OF BILL BELICHICK ~ ROOKIES VS VETERANS STRATEGY

In years past Belichick leaned toward keeping Vets over Rookies because his philosophy was " You go into battle with guys you can trust " .

However , my guess is he's evolving that theory.

Last year , I think we got a pretty good glimpse into what BB's new Roster Mindset would be going forward.

When deciding who to keep and who to cut , All things being equal ~ I think he will now go with youth over experience.

2009 Examples :
    Longsnapper : Kept the rookie ~cut the vet
    O-Line : Kept the rookie ~ dealt the vet
    D-Line : Kept the rookie ~ dealt the vet(s)
    Back-up QB : Kept the rookie ~ cut the vet
    D-back : Drafted a rookie ~ dealt the vet ( during draft )

2010 Examples :
     Tight End : Dumped the Vet(s) ~ Drafted Rookie(s)
     Linebacker : Dumped Vet(s) ~ Drafted Rookie(s)
     Punter : Dumped Vet ~ Drafted Rookie
     Cornerback : Drafted Rook (1st pick ) ~ And will Dump a Vet ? (Wheatley/Whilhite )

I think BB 's Rook vs Vet philosophy is three fold :
    a) In training camp ~ He knows he can squeeze a late rounder out of a trading partner by dealing a vet ( see LeKevin Smith ) Conversely - nobody's gonna give you squat for a promising but unknown commodity like Myron Pryer ( Last year anyway )
    b) Though Vets can generally be trusted more - Rooks have greater potential to grow (and exceed expectations )
    c) Rookie's contracts are generally locked up longer than vets ( not to mention usually much cheaper )Todays NFL is as  much about minding the checkbook - and nobody does it better than BB

In Belichick , the Pats have the perfect long haul guy to evolve and steer the ship in the right direction for the decade to come .

I think the blueprint will continue to be:

1) Get Younger ( A total of 24 picks in back 2 back drafts is amazing vision )
    2) Get Leaner ( If only half stick this year - thats a lot of talent locked up for cheap money )
    3) Get Louder ( Considering all the College Captains drafted - it's obvious BB is committed to adding leadership to the locker room )

This summer , I expect to see more vets shipped out for future draft picks as training camp evolves and roster are trimmed.
    ( Moves like keeping Ted Larson and/or Thomas Welch and trading away back-ups like LeVoie  , Connorly , or Wendell to lesser teams for an extra 6th or ? )

My gut says at least 20 rookie / 2nd year players will make the 2010 roster
     The Wheat(ley)-Thins , Betty Crables & Thazz-my-boy Slators on the team will finally ( and mercifully ) be history .
       WE NEED NEW BLOOD !
      There's obviously going to be growing pains with so much unseasoned talent running around Foxboro but it's better to crash & burn with youth than slowly fade away with rust .

IN BB WE TRUST

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: THE EVOLVING MIND OF BILL BELICHICK ~ ROOKIES VS VETERENS STRATEGY

I don't know if there is some grand design in place,but you are correct that it would seem that BB is moving more towards a youth movement. I don't think they will trade either LeVoir or Connaly as Dante has spent two seasons grooming them,and Wendell came from Pat Hill's School for O-linemen. Everything hinges on what Mankins does as he hasn't signed his tender as of yet.. I think you are correct about Wheatley and Crable as this is their last chances,but Slater was a standout on ST's. I could see him try and fill out his roster with those late cuts from other teams,but it could be you are right and an all out Youth movement is in the offing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from waldorff. Show waldorff's posts

Re: THE EVOLVING MIND OF BILL BELICHICK ~ ROOKIES VS VETERANS STRATEGY

Is BB aware that you have these feelings for him?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

In Response to THE EVOLVING MIND OF BILL BELICHICK ~ ROOKIES VS VETERANS STRATEGY:
    In years past Belichick leaned toward keeping Vets over Rookies because his philosophy was " You go into battle with guys you can trust "....  WE NEED NEW BLOOD !   There's obviously going to be growing pains with so much unseasoned talent running around Foxboro but it's better to crash & burn with youth than slowly fade away with rust . IN BB WE TRUST
    Posted by CapFoxboro

I would put Eric Alexander on that list and possibly trade away Pierre Woods and Kyle Arrington.

Interestingly enough the only RB we could get anything for is Maroney. Which may not be much, but the recent news articles w RB statistics makes Maroney look much better than we have given him credit for. We still need a big physical guy to run strait thru the holes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

The mark of a brillant leader is understanding you have to have talented smart people around you.  The top CEO's have smart people under them they can trust to do the job right.

BB needs to have smart people in the personnel department and on the offensive side of the ball.  If he continues to micromanage and control all aspects of the Pats, then a superbowl won't be in the cards anytime soon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: THE EVOLVING MIND OF BILL BELICHICK ~ ROOKIES VS VETERANS STRATEGY:
    The mark of a brillant leader is understanding you have to have talented smart people around you.  The top CEO's have smart people under them they can trust to do the job right. BB needs to have smart people in the personnel department and on the offensive side of the ball.  If he continues to micromanage and control all aspects of the Pats, then a superbowl won't be in the cards anytime soon.
    Posted by BBRULES23

That's for BB to decide, not you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Veterans often have busted shoulders.  They take one good hit and they're done for the year.  With a limit of 53 men on the roster in September, a team can't afford a good but very old guy when a rookie is available.

BB's next strategy is to go through JAGs and undrafted rookies like Rex Ryan goes through Hostess cupcakes (when he's not stomach-banded).  BB invited 5 guys to tryouts, but only kept 1 for training camp, which is a second-level tryout in itself.  Over the last few seasons, Jonathan Kraft has also been picking up and kicking out lots and lots of practice squad members in midseason.  Occasionally someone like Jabar Gaffney sticks.

Part of the rookie strategy is to give anyone with half a spark 17 months from April signing until kicking most of them out.  Raw projects don't get better from April to September, but some do improve plenty from April to September of the next year.  That's why 12 out of 12 draft choices are still here, even the final seventh rounder. 

The first seventh rounder, Julian Edelman, sparked off really early, so he was never on the bubble.  Super-rookies occasionally happen.  I'm talking about the other seventh rounder, 290 pound DL Darryl Richard.  (Who?)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

BB is probably more sentimental about his players than the world thinks.  Players like Bruschi, Vrabel, and Harris probably passed their expiration date in 06 or 07 and the smart thing would have been to put in a developing rookie but he held on to those guys because they were still pretty good and they earned an opportunity to start by what they've done with their careers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

the stratgey now is to reload with young talent, and i'm sure he'll bring some veterans down the road

Sections
Shortcuts