The Extra Point

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The Extra Point

This has to be one of the dumbest parts of any sport in the world.

They should eliminate it.

Instead, touchdowns should be worth seven points.  If teams decide they want to go for an extra point, they can, but if they fail, they lose a point.

Same result, except it removes this time honorned waste of action.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: The Extra Point

Still better then Baseball!!

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Instead, touchdowns should be worth seven points.  If teams decide they want to go for an extra point, they can, but if they fail, they lose a point.

Didn't Troy Brown pick up a blocked extra point and then run it in for some kind of score?

From http://wiki.answers.com/

In the NCAA/NFL, if a PAT is blocked behind the line and possessed, or a two point conversion is turned over (interception or fumbled) and returned into the end zone it adds two points to the defense's score.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I actually like the system because that 1 extra point does make a difference in the 2 pt scheme and on occassion actually make a difference in the game. I know it doesn't happen often but every so often someone doesn't make the extra point. This puts pressure on them to go for two next time and makes the game more exciting. Not to mention it makes a TD more valuable than 2 FG's (which should be the case). So, not only can the extra point bring a bit of excitement it always seperates a TD for 2 FG's in a way that makes coaches want to go for it on 4th down. I actually like the way it's set up now. The only difference between what you said and how it is now is the chance that the extra point isn't good and that it sets a TD higher than 2 FG's. 

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I actually like the system because that 1 extra point does make a difference in the 2 pt scheme and on occassion actually make a difference in the game. I know it doesn't happen often but every so often someone doesn't make the extra point. This puts pressure on them to go for two next time and makes the game more exciting. Not to mention it makes a TD more valuable than 2 FG's (which should be the case). So, not only can the extra point bring a bit of excitement it always seperates a TD for 2 FG's in a way that makes coaches want to go for it on 4th down. I actually like the way it's set up now. The only difference between what you said and how it is now is the chance that the extra point isn't good and that it sets a TD higher than 2 FG's. 

So far this year, there have been 305 extra points made on 307 attempts.

It's a 99.3% success rate. 

So, outside of that .7%, all touchdowns were basically worth the seven points.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

So far this year, there have been 305 extra points made on 307 attempts.

It's a 99.3% success rate. 

So, outside of that .7%, all touchdowns were basically worth the seven points.

yep but that .7% adds a bit of excitement. Why take something out that can add a bit of excitement every so often and replacement it with essentially nothing? I could see if it was automatic but it's not and funny things happen

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

If you want to make it more exciting move the spot back to the 5 and make a rule that in the 4th qtr they either have to drop kick or go for 2. 2 points from the 5 would make a big difference.

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

If you want to make it more exciting move the spot back to the 5 and make a rule that in the 4th qtr they either have to drop kick or go for 2. 2 points from the 5 would make a big difference.

How about 3 points from the 20?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Angel-of-Light. Show Angel-of-Light's posts

Less chances to get hurt, less commercials, the NFL should get rid of the PAT. It maybe exciting during high school games, but it's boring in the NFL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I have always felt that the PAT or 2pt conversion make for an interesting decision at key points in some games.  I've no problem with it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I have always felt that the PAT or 2pt conversion make for an interesting decision at key points in some games.  I've no problem with it.

Read the suggestions above.  Teams could still choose to try for the 2pt conversion.  If they miss, the TD only counts for 6pts.  

Adding that 0.7% "excitement" of a missed PAT isn't worth the time and effort of keeping the PAT.  BB stated he'd look at removing it too.  

Get rid of the PAT and use that time to run more actuall football plays in the game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to bobomul's comment:

Read the suggestions above.  Teams could still choose to try for the 2pt conversion.  If they miss, the TD only counts for 6pts.  

Adding that 0.7% "excitement" of a missed PAT isn't worth the time and effort of keeping the PAT.  BB stated he'd look at removing it too.  

Get rid of the PAT and use that time to run more actuall football plays in the game.

I did read the suggestions and I guess I should have been clearer:  I like the system the way is.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

I agree.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to SLGDEV's comment:

Didn't Troy Brown pick up a blocked extra point and then run it in for some kind of score?

From http://wiki.answers.com/

In the NCAA/NFL, if a PAT is blocked behind the line and possessed, or a two point conversion is turned over (interception or fumbled) and returned into the end zone it adds two points to the defense's score.

Think Wiki Answers is wrong.  If I remember right, the rules don't allow the other team to score on a try. Ball's dead immediately upon turnover. You can return a missed FG however.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Well, it is called FOOTball. The xp with the 2 point conversion option can make the game strategies quite interesting at certain times.

Tell me what good eliminating the xp would bring in your view?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Think Wiki Answers is wrong.  If I remember right, the rules don't allow the other team to score on a try. Ball's dead immediately upon turnover. You can return a missed FG however.

[/QUOTE]

That is correct, you cannot advance the ball.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to bobomul's comment:

clock doesn't run during PAT.  No wasted time.  I'd leave it alone.  I agree with Eng it adds interest.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Games should have easy points and harder points. Human nature takes anything over 97% for granted but once in a blue moon they are missed which is great theater. Having to make the short kick for 1 and having the option to go for 2 produces interesting results sometimes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

I think Touchdowns should stay at 6 points - eliminate the Extra point and give teams the option to go for it from the 5 yard line for 2 points--only ONE shot - sure would make games interesting in the last QTR--I also agree the extra point is useless in the pros!

Sections
Shortcuts