Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

The final word on "balance".

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: The final word on

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to pezz4pats's comment:

Umm, wouldn't it make MORE SENSE to realize in an offensive league that it's more likely the opposing offense has a better chance/odds of making plays our defense, which is why our own supposed lethal offense not consistently being good offensively, is MORE of the problem?

Is this English?

Did you just say it's easier for opposing offenses to have a better chance of making a play on the Pats D..............And that's not the problem???????

Thats EXACTLY the problem!!!!!

ANY D, MORON.

Any defense.  You clearly do not watch the rest of the NFL. The Giants D was "ranked" 27th last year.  All numbers have gone up. Yards, YAC, YPC, points on average, QBs passing yards, etc.

Your ability to not understand what Goodell is doing why BB is putting an emphasis on turnovers and not yards allowed, is absolutely embarrassing for a person like yourself who is over years of age.

It's amazing. You have the anaytical and comprehension skills of the neighborhood paper boy.

did you say any D and not our D?   Now, "any" means "our"??????.  You are obviously the one with the problem as you can't even read (comprehend) what YOU wrote!!!!!

Over how many years of age, crusto?  Maybe people could understand you if you learned how to write.   Fact not fiction!

ANY D.

Yes. Ours or anyone's. All D's are behind the 8 ball these days, MORON!

Are you seriously this DUMB? I wasn't mixing and matching what I said, I am trying to tell your ignorant brain that all defenses in this league have a tougher time than Ds 10 years ago.

FACT.

Tell us why you disagree with that premise, Corky. This should be hilarious. You're the only dope here who thinks playing D in 2001 is the same as it is now after all the changes to HELP offenses.

LMAO

Did you say any or our?  

All D's are not bad, crusty, just the ones that are ranked at the bottom of the league.

You know; like, , 27th, 31st..........Hey, aren't those the Pats rankings for the past few years?   Luckily the O was awsome in spite of that.  It's just too bad they couldn't pull it off with that heavy anchor around their ankles in the SB's.

Speak English.  I do understand a little spanish and french but never studied gibberish..

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

12 Wins (by a combined 229 points) - 435 passes and 407 runs @ 4.4 ypc

4 Losses (by a combined 11 points) - 210 passes and 112 runs @ 2.2 ypc

Fixed it for ya.

Dollars to donuts, in the 4 losse,s he has over 40 passes in those games.  LOL!

You will never win this debate, because you're an inbred and have absolutely no idea what we're talking about here.

Dollars to donuts????  You really are a wack-job.  The difference in the losses was the awesome 2.2 ypc by our running game that resulted in minimal points, minimal 1st downs and forced them to throw to catch up

Let's also not forgot the vaunted D that gave up lead after lead and  Td after Td of the 40-63 yard, one throw, variety.  

You do understand QB's throw more when they are trying to score, don't you?

You do understand that 3rd and 14's because of 2 negative runs are a bad thing, don't you?  They also cause QB's to throw, right?

You do understand that the Pat's pass O is top notch and their pass D is anything but.......

Don't you?  

There's NO fixing you!

NO

The difference was abandoning the run, so when they tried to run it again in the second half and we subbed BJGE in, they knew it was for a run.

Hence, the 2.2. YPC when Brady throws 40+ times.

When Brady's throws 40+ times against good or great Ds, our run game is never good. However, when he throws less than 40 times per game against that same D, is IS GOOD.

You're an inbred and must shop at Walmart.   There is no denying what I've stated above.

Ah, no!  They abandoned the run because at 2.2 ypc , it was futile.  It wasn't working and they had to pass more because of it.  They didn't even abandon the run in those games, if anything they stuck with it too long.   And when your D is constantly pizzing away 2 score leads, you have to score to get it back.  You pass to win and run when you are winning.

The only thing a high pass/run ratio means is that the run is not working and or they are behind and need to score or they are ahead and don't trust the D to maintain the lead,  PERIOD!

2.2 yards per carry won't even get you a first down with 4 downs.  LOL

Why is all your expert analysis always backwards?

No. They never commit to a run when they have a lead and Brady is throwing 40+ times in a game. Fact.

Did you just say they never commit to the run when they have a lead and brady is throwing 40+ times a game?

Isn't that the very same thing you threatened to support with facts (stats) last week and couldn't produce?

Again, prove it or lose it!
    The fact is Brady throws more when the rest of the team sux.  Those are the facts!

Show me the 4 games with the 2.2 YPC that you are claiming up above.   You are fearful to show us this.

I know which games they are. In all 4 games, all 4 LOSSES this year, Brady threw over 40 times.

You're so dumb, the whole reason why Seattle's D held and turned momentum, was not only his awful INTs or the 1/6 in the red zone, but because we quit running it and they knew they only had to defend the pass in the red zone. 

End of story.

You'll never escape it.

Seattle. STEVEN RIDLEY:  2.2 ypc with a long of 6.  The pats did not begin to score until they went shot gun.  D burned with a 63 and 40 yard TD.  Ineffective running led to 6 points in the first half 

fBalty 2.3 ypc  D blew (2) two score leads  Brady had to regain the lead twice.

Cardinals  Behind and TB mounted a stunning drive 8/10 to pull within 2.  TD called back because of penality, Ghost missed FG.  IN other words the whole team sucked and TB brought them back with his THROWS. . Was also sacked 4 times.

SF, Brady furiously brings them back from a 28 point hole (in 11 minutes)  Mostly passes because of time, and special teams and D blew it again.

Like I said, they throw more when they HAVE to, because the D and ST and RB's are stinking up the joint.

Now where are your stats that say TB throws more when they are winning?  Still waiting!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Not totally true, Pezz... at least with regards to the San Fran game. The defense did give up a quick touchdown following the offense tying the game, however the offense then had two additional drives in which they could have tied the game and they failed in both situations. 

I also agree that the defense struggled early in the San Fran game, thus causing a 31-3 score, however the offense was also largely responsible for that. Lots of poor execution and turnovers on their behalf.

Let's also not forget that the special teams struggled mightily in that game and gave up a big return on the play preceding the touchdown pass to Crabtree.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Not totally true, Pezz... at least with regards to the San Fran game. The defense did give up a quick touchdown following the offense tying the game, however the offense then had two additional drives in which they could have tied the game and they failed in both situations. 

I also agree that the defense struggled early in the San Fran game, thus causing a 31-3 score, however the offense was also largely responsible for that. Lots of poor execution and turnovers on their behalf.

Let's also not forget that the special teams struggled mightily in that game and gave up a big return on the play preceding the touchdown pass to Crabtree.

Didn't they get another FG? 

Oh, I see, the O is required to score on 7 of 7 consecutive drives but the D and ST's  are not required to make a stop and giving up 41 points is perfecly acceptable.

That's because all NFL teams score on 7/7 drives and all NFL defenses give up 41 pts with regularity, right?  Especially to 3 game starters.

Let's not forget this one.  Brady had no business throwing 40+ times to try and bring his team to victory, because crusty said so.  Maybe if he just handed it off to Ridley, he could have run it in for (7), 80 yard TD's.  Right?  ugh

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In the SF game, the O line really struggled.  In many ways it was similar to the Giants' Super Bowls. I've never been one to say the offense is perfect or even that Brady is perfect. My only objection is to those posters who claim the defense played great when it didn't . . . and who think that the "solution" to (the rare) offensive problems is to "rein in Brady," abandon the shotgun, and just run more with a "lead" back who is never subbed for.  That in my opinion is an overly simplistic approach that doesn't appreciate the complexity of modern football.  

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

12 Wins (by a combined 229 points) - 435 passes and 407 runs @ 4.4 ypc

4 Losses (by a combined 11 points) - 210 passes and 112 runs @ 2.2 ypc

Fixed it for ya.

Not exactly 'fixed', not sure where you got your numbers. The actual game numbers below includes 'rushes' by TB, the RB ypa is in reality higher...

VS AZ 28 carries for 90 yards = 3.2 Yards per attempt

VS BAL 34 carries for 77 yards = 2.3 Yards per attempt

VS SEA 26 carries for 87 yards = 3.3 Yards per attempt

VS SF 24 carries for 95 yards = 4.0 Yards per attempt

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In the SF game, the O line really struggled.  In many ways it was similar to the Giants' Super Bowls. I've never been one to say the offense is perfect or even that Brady is perfect. My only objection is to those posters who claim the defense played great when it didn't . . . and who think that the "solution" to (the rare) offensive problems is to "rein in Brady," abandon the shotgun, and just run more with a "lead" back who is never subbed for.  That in my opinion is an overly simplistic approach that doesn't appreciate the complexity of modern football.  

You are wrong, in fact there's never been anybody so wrong in the hystery of the Universe.  Just admit you are a Brady bashing troll.  We all know it , even as I type people are nodding there head in agreement. LMAO@U.

It's avery simple concept, Brady throws more when HE HAS TOO!  It's so simple  !He is not the OC or the HC.  He doesn't send out no back formations, he doesn't send out Woody.

He throws when they are behind , doesn't trust the D to Hold a lead and when the running game sucks.    All with the blessing of McD and BB!!!!!!!!!!.  Period!

No body in their right mind believes your propaganda and out right lies. 

Now do US ALL a favor and get a life.  Leave your basement and BDC for good.

Sick, sick, sick.  

He does what's best for the team.  I have no idea why they would even need an OC, if he's not calling the plays. 

Still waiting on those elusive stats.  Prove it or shut the he11 up!

You're wrong. You trying to quote me in an attempt to mock me, will not work.

WHy do you continue to push this issue when everyone knows you're wrong?   90% of the time when Brady throws 40+ times in a shotgun spread base, we lose vs good or great Ds.

Go look at the drives for Indy in their SB v.s. the Bears. They WON that SB because they handed it off a ton to either Addai or Rhodes, but they didn't change how they ran their offense based on who was on the field.

You either don't get it or want to continue to be selfish with your buddies, simply unable to admit how wrong you are.

Just because it's an offensive era and a QB league, it doesn't mean you over-think or over-manage the basics!

The basics will never change, whether it's blocking, tackling, deception, etc.  We have little to no deception in our awful, sedentary shotgun base spread.

If this happens again this postseason, what will you do here? Act like it didn't happen again?

Brady has 19 TDs and 13 INTs since 2005 in the postseaosn if you take away his best and worst games (to be fair, those are outlier games - Balt in 2009, Denver 2011).

That's horrendous and in almost all of those games, he threw over 40 times, and it wasn't because they were trailing, either.  SD in 2006, yes, no issue there.  They panicked in Denver in 2005, but to be fair Dillon wasn't available. The 2006 AFC title game is one that stands out.  AFC Title game vs SD, SB 42, etc.

In 2010 vs the Jets, it was a low scoring game, but they panicked for some reason and the downfall was that they never tried to run it. They intended to blow the Jets off the field by passing it almost exclusively, which ironically IS NOT how they beat the Jets just a month earlier!

FAIL!

And we know what happened last year.

You lost.  Limiting yourself and your playbook is absolutely assinine and that is what you're clearly rooting for so Brady can just run shotgun spread plays, hope the O line is 100% perfect dropping back to pass block 40+ times, and you ignore how that style HURTS our defense!

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts