The Free Agent Myth

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

The Free Agent Myth

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about free agency as a panacea for all that ails a football team.  Most of the impactful free agents the Patriots have signed over the Belichick years were scrapheap guys or complementary role type players. 

Only Adalius Thomas was a real big marquee deal, and he hasn't contributed to a Super Bowl win.  Rosey Colvin was a lesser big deal at the time.  The other big signings in hindsight were shots in the dark really that turned out better than expected: Vrabel and Harrison.  Pittsburgh had little interest in retaining Vrabel, and SD thought Harrison was done.

So these are the players that were signed as free agents in the Super Bowl years.  Some good players to be sure, and some duds, but besides Colvin there isn't a splashy deal among them:

2001: Je'rod Cherry, Mike Compton, Mark Edwards, Damon Huard, Larry Izzo, Marty Moore, David Patten, Roman Phifer, Anthony Pleasant, Antowain Smith, Chris Sullivan, Mike Vrabel, Ken Walter, Bryan Cox, Torrance Small, Charles Johnson, Bert Emmanuel, Fred Coleman, Curtis Jackson, Ben Kelly, Terrell Buckley, Riddick Parker

2003: Chris Akins, Larry Centers, Rosevelt Colvin, Don Davis, Brandon Gorin, Rodney Harrison, Russ Hochstein, Sean McDermott, Ty Poole, Dedric Ward, Mike Cloud, Fred McCrary, JJ Stokes, Aric Morris

2004: Josh Miller, Keith Traylor, Rabih Abdullah, Jed Weaver, Kevin Kaspar, Randall Gay, Earthwind Moreland, Hank Poteat

The only

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3839316. Show user_3839316's posts

Re: The Free Agent Myth

Well when we got all these players in 2001 I thought it was like we had drafted 5 times in the second round because these players would help a great deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

RIGHT ON!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Randall Gay, Earthwind Moreland, Hank Poteat
    We won a super bowl with these guys!
    Muzwell, nice job putting this together.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I agree with this post and like I said on another thread the only "splash" I would even consider would have been Boldin... But I understand why they didn't go that way.  I think Crumpler is the guy that is a secondary market free agent that could be a HUGE impact on the offense when you take into account he is so highly regarded by Belichick and Chris Johnson.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Although I agree that a big FA splash isn't always the right move I think it completely depends on the position of the team at the time. You mention the FA signings but fall to mention the amount of successful draft picks from 00-05 and the leadership already on the team. When your team already has the strength, leadership, and the right youth you can afford to take chances on the "scrap heap" of the FA market. But we saw a stint from 06-08 where the picks just haven't worked out. This time peroid where normally the draft picks would take over is also when the old leadership/strength began to retire or move on to other teams. Now hopefully the 09 draft is as strong as it appears and the 10 draft will be another hit but until those players come into their own 06-08 left a gap in everything that allowed the Pats to take chances on the level of FA's the Pats brought in. Now Welker and Moss were key in 07 (think where we'd be without them) but we took the same approach to the FA market as in prior years (minus AD) and the luck ran out. The same FA's didn't produce the same results in years past which hurt.  Paying a little extra for a vet in their prime in the last couple FA's would have helped a lot between these transitions in drafts and the right FA might have brought the leadership that was lacking the past year. This years FA is overly weak so bringing in that vet is not the best move (unless it is maybe a Crumpler or a similiar low cost stop gap vet) but a player like Boldin, Walter, or Jones might have helped. I'm not saying the Pats were wrong but when you have a couple weak drafts in a row, the "scrap heap" FA's aren't working out and your vet leadership is retiring and losing their ability then sometimes you have to bring in a proven starter to fill the missing holes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

that 03 class should be removed

Ty Poole 
    Rodney Harrison
    Roosevelt Colvin
    Larry Centers
    Don Davis

I understand we flew under the radar and got these guys on the cheap... but that is as good a FA class considering there contributions by year end 

Ty Poole, Ty Law, Rodney Harrison and Eugene Wilson were ther best defensive back field in football before the injuries. When you consider the fact that we had the best LB corps in football that year it is tough to call that year a MYTH..... MORE like LUCK

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

i'm glad BB didn't dabble in the FA market this year like past years. keep the ones you have and build through the draft.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: The Free Agent Myth:
    that 03 class should be removed Ty Poole  Rodney Harrison Roosevelt Colvin Larry Centers Don Davis I understand we flew under the radar and got these guys on the cheap... but that is as good a FA class considering there contributions by year end  Ty Poole, Ty Law, Rodney Harrison and Eugene Wilson were ther best defensive back field in football before the injuries. When you consider the fact that we had the best LB corps in football that year it is tough to call that year a MYTH..... MORE like LUCK
    Posted by tagandtrade

You make my point.  It's rarely the big name, big $ guys that end up making a major difference.  You can't find a single example of a team that won a SB that was made with big name free agents.  It doesn't work that way.  Reggie White might be the closest thing, and that was pre-salary cap.

And the biggest signing in 2003 (in terms of money) was Colvin and if I'm not mistaken he was injured early on and wasn't a major factor that season. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

http://www.patspulpit.com/2010/3/13/1371203/afc-east-and-free-agency-patriots

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3839316. Show user_3839316's posts

In Response to Re: The Free Agent Myth : You make my point.  It's rarely the big name, big $ guys that end up making a major difference.  You can't find a single example of a team that won a SB that was made with big name free agents.  It doesn't work that way.  Reggie White might be the closest thing, and that was pre-salary cap. And the biggest signing in 2003 (in terms of money) was Colvin and if I'm not mistaken he was injured early on and wasn't a major factor that season. 
    Posted by Muzwell
    White was the exception to the rule and made greenbays defense what it was.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

http://www.patspulpit.com/2010/3/13/1371203/afc-east-and-free-agency-patriots
    Posted by mosseffect43

moss,
    The comments after the article reflect most opinions on this board. Here is the first comment from a Viking fan:
    As a Minnesota Viking fan who admires a good front office

I’m curious what you would have had your front office do?

First they could have chosen to lose your unrestricted free agents or sign them.
    They chose to sign them since they were either irreplaceable (Wilfork) or good for your system (Faulk).

It is impossible to jump into the free agent market before you know which players on your team are staying. As usual the Pats have shored up and are waiting to see if any Free agent deals drop to them later. Sounds like business as usual for you guys to me.

Your team has 4 picks in the first 2 rounds. It won’t take much to get better in my humble opinion. Many of us from other teams would love to be in that situation.

The last thing I want to note is that most free agent acquisitions DO Not add much to a team in the first year. ( Patriots break this rule quite often). I wouldn’t worry to much about your competition. Just concentrate on how your team is rebuilding.
    Good luck in the draft like you guys need that.

Winning is not everything but it sure feels like it sometimes

by lifelongvike on Mar 13, 2010 12:04 PM EST reply actions   1 recs

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I gotta agree. When was the last time the Pats paid big bucks for a free agent that in return made a big impact on the team?

Most of the big free agents have already had their best years. Those years are behind them not ahead of them and quite frankly are not worth the money. 

Mike Vrabel was one of the best free agent pick ups they've ever had and he was a better player with the Pats than he had been with other teams. 

Bodden was a low profile pick up as well. 

The answer for the Pats is not free agency it is the draft right now. We need to get our impact players from the draft and good solid utility guys from free agency that will have leadership in the locker room. 

The core of the Patriots team has ALWAYS been players we drafted into the system and become complete products of the system. The high profile high strung free agents we have signed like AT are simply not part of the system and didn't buy into it. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Re: The Free Agent Myth : moss, The comments after the article reflect most opinions on this board. Here is the first comment from a Viking fan: As a Minnesota Viking fan who admires a good front office I’m curious what you would have had your front office do? First they could have chosen to lose your unrestricted free agents or sign them. They chose to sign them since they were either irreplaceable (Wilfork) or good for your system (Faulk). It is impossible to jump into the free agent market before you know which players on your team are staying. As usual the Pats have shored up and are waiting to see if any Free agent deals drop to them later. Sounds like business as usual for you guys to me. Your team has 4 picks in the first 2 rounds. It won’t take much to get better in my humble opinion. Many of us from other teams would love to be in that situation. The last thing I want to note is that most free agent acquisitions DO Not add much to a team in the first year. ( Patriots break this rule quite often). I wouldn’t worry to much about your competition. Just concentrate on how your team is rebuilding. Good luck in the draft like you guys need that. Winning is not everything but it sure feels like it sometimes by lifelongvike on Mar 13, 2010 12:04 PM EST reply actions   1 recs
    Posted by digger0862
    yes i agree all that use to work once upon a time,but the old ways havent worked in many years.every team and everything is changeing.dosent matter how many picks the pats have in the draft,or how deep the draft is.the question is how many of those rookies will make an impact on the team in there first year?