The Giants are Underdogs. Wait. What?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

The Giants are Underdogs. Wait. What?

INDIANAPOLIS -- A few New York Giants players have been saying all week how confident they are in the fact that they will beat the New England Patriots on Sunday. 

But, they'll also gladly embrace the underdog role as well. Even though there's a sentiment amongst experts that the Giants aren't anywhere near the underdogs they were entering Super Bowl XLII, New York doesn't mind being three-point underdogs to the Pats in Super Bowl XLVI according to some odds makers. 

"We're going to use it as an insult," running back Ahmad Bradshaw said. "And we're going to play with all our heart. We're going to give it our all and we're going to prove everybody wrong." 

"I don't want to put it out there like that," he continued. "But like I said, we're going to prove everybody wrong." 

Tom Coughlin certainly is pushing the underdog button. 

"It's still us against the world," Coughlin said when asked how different it is to be considered a favorite instead of the underdog by some. "And that's how we play that, period. We're in here and I've seen a lot of the stuff that's been said in terms of where we are. We're still the underdogs and we still have an awful lot to prove. Talk is cheap, play the game."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/12104/ahmad-going-to-prove-everybody-wrong

Here's my comment that I posted on the article.

Wait, did I read that correct, "underdog role"? Are you kidding me? It seems like everyone outside of Vegas and New England are bumping up the Giants, and in a significant way. Who determines who's the underdog? The players, or the media and fans? It's the latter, without a doubt. But even then, the Giants themselves have been talking themselves up all week, so that argument doesn't work either. A rather two-faced Giants squad we're seeing.  

They have nothing to prove to anyone. Everyone seems to think they'll win 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

Re: The Giants are Underdogs. Wait. What?

I don't mind it. I mean, everyone picked us to win against the Ravens and Deion Branch flat out said we were the underdogs. If it's alright when we do it, then it shouldn't be a problem if the Giants do.

What's ridiculous is not the underdog thing. It's the comments about Julian Edelman, the comparisons to Darrelle Revis, the insults to Wes Welker, the Brady can be rattled speech. Not only is that completely unsportsmanlike, it's plain asking to get your butts kicked.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

One of the knocks on the Patriots' championship teams is that they didn't really dominate in any of those super bowls. They were all close games. I hope the Patriots emphatically destroy the Giants.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

This is funny, and relates to a topic mentioned on another thread today.  The Vegas spread has nothing at all to do with being an underdog.  It's set to equalize the money on the bets.  A 3 point spread simply means that slightly more people were betting on the Pats than the Giants, so they had to put a small spread to get more people to pick the Giants.  The people placing bets influence the spread.  They talk about the spread as if it were some sort of coaches poll.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beermeister. Show beermeister's posts

Giants will lose according to Wall Street analysts who have been right the last 8 Superbowls.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-02/super-bowl-winning-quants-say-patriots-will-beat-giants-by-more-than-three.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

In Response to Re: The Giants are Underdogs. Wait. What?:
    [QUOTE]Giants will lose according to Wall Street analysts who have been right the last 8 Superbowls. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-02/super-bowl-winning-quants-say-patriots-will-beat-giants-by-more-than-three.html
    Posted by beermeister[/QUOTE]

Wow. Nice find. 8 in a row? So they predicted the '07 Super Bowl?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Their season record says that the Giants are a 9-7 team.  They happen to play in a division where the Cowboys and Philly fizzled this year, and where Washington always fizzles. 

The Giants racked up most of their losses in the latter half of this season.  They're better than 9-7 because they got by Green Bay and San Francisco when it counted. Giants fans like to think that it was mostly the virtue of their own team that won those two games, just as Denver fans tout Tim Tebow's virtue as the reason Denver beat the Pittsburgh Steelers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Cool WSJ article...interesting indeed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

I expect a game similar to the 2007 game...game 16 where Eli screwed it up in the end.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

In response to "Re: The Giants are Underdogs. Wait. What?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Giants are Underdogs. Wait. What? : Wow. Nice find. 8 in a row? So they predicted the '07 Super Bowl? Posted by kevin13130[/QUOTE] Predicted against the spread. So not a giants win per se, but that the pats wouldn't cover. This time, predicting they will cover (win by more than 3)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I really liked that "Alpha" article.  Wall Street is such a gambling house!  Everything about crowd betting that might be true at the horse track is just as true on Wall Street, except in the 1920s stocks soared to astronomical heights and the entire nation down to shoeshine boys were gung-ho on the ever-rising market never, ever failing.