The Good, Bad, and Ugly

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

The Good, Bad, and Ugly

Seemed that the offense was most successful when using power formations. Hernandez and Gronk continue to show the veterans how to play. Law Firm doing the best of the RB corp in today's game, Woodhead came thru in clutch in place of Faulk.

Defense still out to lunch.

Special teams gave up a TD, punting having probs?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: The Good, Bad, and Ugly

BUBBBAAAAAAAA,

Yes the Defense Eats a big one. We're going to need our offense to clean up their act so we can outscore teams that are better than the Bills. If we're lucky the defense will improve by the end of the year. Interestingly enough we didn't get the Home town calls from the Refs today. We are are going to need to be close to perfect on offense when we play the Dolphins next Monday.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Offense=    good
    SP teams=  bad
    Defense=    ugly

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotway1. Show patriotway1's posts

In Response to Re: The Good, Bad, and Ugly:
    BUBBBAAAAAAAA, Yes the Defense Eats a big one. We're going to need our offense to clean up their act so we can outscore teams that are better than the Bills. If we're lucky the defense will improve by the end of the year. Interestingly enough we didn't get the Home town calls from the Refs today. We are are going to need to be close to perfect on offense when we play the Dolphins next Monday.
    Posted by ewhite1065

I was very please and actually excited to see the Patriot running game for the first time in quite a while, that I must say! BJGE ran hard and well, the new guy Woodhead seems to be very promising, and thankfully no rookie learning curve. This young man is fast and wants that goal line instead of just 2 or 3 yards. Bravo to New England for this wonderful and much needed addition!
    The 2 Tight Ends were outstanding, I can see Hernandez replacing an aging Randy Moss in the near future. (if the Patriots dont retain him).
    The Patriot defense is going to be a difficult problem for this team and force T Brady to score at least 35 points a game to stay within the divisional lead.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: The Good, Bad, and Ugly : I was very please and actually excited to see the Patriot running game for the first time in quite a while, that I must say! BJGE ran hard and well, the new guy Woodhead seems to be very promising, and thankfully no rookie learning curve. This young man is fast and wants that goal line instead of just 2 or 3 yards. Bravo to New England for this wonderful and much needed addition! The 2 Tight Ends were outstanding, I can see Hernandez replacing an aging Randy Moss in the near future. (if the Patriots dont retain him). The Patriot defense is going to be a difficult problem for this team and force T Brady to score at least 35 points a game to stay within the divisional lead.
    Posted by patriotway1

Luckily for us we actually have a chance of scoring 35 points against most teams. The thing that hampered us today seemed to be Key, drive killing penalties. 2x Offensive Pass interference calls and a killer holding call where they didn't call a number but the threw the flag on Crumpler.(Pretty close call)
    If the offense keeps us in this it's possible that this young defense can improve by the end of the year. I hope

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Brady was the reason the Pats won today

Bad and Ugly are one for me today thats defense. Outside of Chung, Meriweather, Wilfork, Cunningham, and Mayo they played like crap. Half of the stuff today was just absurd and when Butler got put back in he got tore up. The D has got a long way to go.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: The Good

In Response to Re: The Good:
    Danny Woodhead (the name Zolak can't pronounce!) made plays.
    Posted by STP43FAN

Its fair to say we laid the wood to the BillsLaughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

There seems to be lots of problems in the secondary. Every time an opposing team's player makes a reception, there's almost never a safety in the picture. The whole unit is not working well together right now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

The defense looked flat out awful on all phases.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Were a great home field team with a poor Defense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

I thought the Defense looked good in spots.  Then they would get their pants pulled down, then looked good again.  Special teams didn't do so hot, for sure.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: The Good, Bad, and Ugly : I was very please and actually excited to see the Patriot running game for the first time in quite a while, that I must say! BJGE ran hard and well, the new guy Woodhead seems to be very promising, and thankfully no rookie learning curve. This young man is fast and wants that goal line instead of just 2 or 3 yards. Bravo to New England for this wonderful and much needed addition! The 2 Tight Ends were outstanding, I can see Hernandez replacing an aging Randy Moss in the near future. (if the Patriots dont retain him). The Patriot defense is going to be a difficult problem for this team and force T Brady to score at least 35 points a game to stay within the divisional lead.
    Posted by patriotway1

Just my opinion that it was the use of TEs that opened up our running game. Morris and Taylor didn't really run that well. Law Firm stopped a couple of times, but ran well overall.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

BUBBBAAAAAAAA, Yes the Defense Eats a big one. We're going to need our offense to clean up their act so we can outscore teams that are better than the Bills. If we're lucky the defense will improve by the end of the year. Interestingly enough we didn't get the Home town calls from the Refs today. We are are going to need to be close to perfect on offense when we play the Dolphins next Monday.
    Posted by ewhite1065

Hey, hey. EW.  Good to see ya again. Yeah, the Patriots are a work in progress. Stoked about several of the new guys Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Defense was ugly, but there is at least reason for hope...

1. Spikes is a player
    2. Brace is arriving.  The guy is looking better and better.
    3. After missing the preseason, Cunningham is not doing bad.
    4. Do I need glasses, or did they try to throw more at McCoutry than at Arrington?  Arrington stepped in and acquitted himself well.

In other words, I hold out hope that these guys will get better and better.  That said, the next run begins in 2011.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: The Good, Bad, and Ugly : Hey, hey. EW.  Good to see ya again. Yeah, the Patriots are a work in progress. Stoked about several of the new guys
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

Hey, you never know. Cunningham and Brace showed up in spots. They could be 2 steady contributers  by the end of the year. 2 guys that we desperately need to contribute. I'm psyched anyway. Can't wait for the Dolphins game next week.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Defense was ugly, but there is at least reason for hope... 1. Spikes is a player 2. Brace is arriving.  The guy is looking better and better. 3. After missing the preseason, Cunningham is not doing bad. 4. Do I need glasses, or did they try to throw more at McCoutry than at Arrington?  Arrington stepped in and acquitted himself well. In other words, I hold out hope that these guys will get better and better.  That said, the next run begins in 2011.
    Posted by carawaydj

They did but I think thats because Buf only has 1 NFL caliber receiver. I actually like the D-line but I am scurred to play a good QB. We have not played one yet.(If anybody thinks Palmer is good look at his stat line against Carolina today) We have done a great job at making Sanchez and Fitzpatrick look like Pro Bowlers though :0

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

I agree that our defense still looks pretty bad, but I think they are getting a little better overall.  I really liked our offensive game plan today.  We had a good mix of plays.  If we continue like this, I believe we will beat a lot of teams.  We will need to score a lot of points, but if we can have a few long drives a game it will really benefit our defense also.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

I agree that our defense still looks pretty bad, but I think they are getting a little better overall.  I really liked our offensive game plan today.  We had a good mix of plays.  If we continue like this, I believe we will beat a lot of teams.  We will need to score a lot of points, but if we can have a few long drives a game it will really benefit our defense also.
    Posted by brazilnut

Keeping our d off the field for a while is a good idea. Punter will have to do a better job, and special teams can't give up points.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 3SB-rings. Show 3SB-rings's posts

Scoring lots of points is one thing, but they'll have to do it with time consuming  drives that don't end up with just 3 points. If not, even a Buffalo offense can quickly put 7 back on the board.

Also in the ugly department.....what's up with Zoltan's punting?? He easily got the job with long booming punts, he's killing us with field position.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Scoring lots of points is one thing, but they'll have to do it with time consuming  drives that don't end up with just 3 points. If not, even a Buffalo offense can quickly put 7 back on the board. Also in the ugly department.....what's up with Zoltan's punting?? He easily got the job with long booming punts, he's killing us with field position.
    Posted by 3SB-rings

Agreed. Haven't seen a booming kick from him yet - and he had an opportunity in the  Bills game when we were deep in our own side of field. I think his avg. was like 37 and his longest was 45 or so. In a close, low scoring game, his leg is gonna be important.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I thought that somehow this defense would be the typical "bend but don't break" Belichick defense.  Instead it looks like a "bend and then break" defense.  I know it's early, and there are a lot of young guys getting minutes.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats' D is better statistically as the season moves on.  I keep telling myself that the young guys need to take their lumps to learn on the job.

One thing is true though.  A lot of us said that the offense would need to bail the D out and so far it's the truth.  

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonguylost. Show bostonguylost's posts

this is going to be a loooooong season....what CAN this defense do?....it can't cover, it can't tackle and it can't rush the passer...can anyone tell me one thing that they do well?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gjr2. Show gjr2's posts

does anyone (and by anyone - i mean bill belichick) remember that we won 3 super bowls with a relentless, crushing defense and fair/good offense?  yes, we won 3 -  count 'em 3 - super bowls without a randy moss and without a wes welker. our receivers were sub-par.  and then bb went to the high flyin' offense and forgot about what made the dynasty what it was......we ALL remember 18 - 1 don't we?  and instead of getting better defensively he gets rid of our last decent corner and thinks he can win with the atrocious secondary he's run out there the last two years??????
    this defense is in BIG trouble....i mean buffalo is a doormat, right?  we may not take the division this year and if we get a wild card spot - it'll be one and done like last year

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

this is going to be a loooooong season....what CAN this defense do?....it can't cover, it can't tackle and it can't rush the passer...can anyone tell me one thing that they do well?
    Posted by bostonguylost

Well, they can sometimes cover, sometimes stop the run, sometimes sack the QB.

So, I guess they do sometimes pretty damn good Laughing

The good news is that there's more room on the upside than downside.

Sections
Shortcuts