The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly of Pats' Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly of Pats' Draft

I. THE GOOD: 

1.) Two Second Round Picks Acquired for 2010: Mike Mayock, the Mel Kiper of the NFL Network, called this draft class one of the weakest hes' seen in years. In a subsequent interview with BB, Bill agreed with him. So, Belichick traded out of the first round...which led to the acquisition of 2010 second round picks, from Jacksonville and Tennessee. This gives the Pats three second rounders in 2010. It also gives the Pats the necessary ammunition to pull off a trade for a veteran like Julius Peppers, Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson, or others...if they choose.

2.) Selections of NT Ron Brace and CB Darius Butler: 

a.) Ron Brace: Will back-up Vince Wilfolk, and give the Pats some leverage, and insurance...regarding their contract negotiations with Vince;

b.) Darius Butler: By releasing Deltha O'Neal, and trading Ellis Hobbs, the Pats have, in essence, fired their CBs after a disasterous year, in which the Pats gave up a league leading 31 TD passes. Butler could start immediately. He, along with Terrence Wheatly, Jonathan Wilhite, Shawn Springs, Chung, and Lee Bodden should lead to a major improvement.

3.) Selection of WR Brandon Tate: A good gamble at #83? But for a serious knee injury, Tate may have been a first round pick. Though some thought that #83 was a bit early, the Tate selection set off a mini run at WR. The Steelers took WR Mike Wallace (4.3 speed) immediately thereafter. It will be interesting to follow the careers of these two players. 

4.) Tyrone McKenzie: Good prospect, who can play either ILB or OLB. Taken at pick #97. Might eventually replace Tedy Bruschi.  

III.) THE BAD:  

1.) Rey Maualuga: On paper, Rey would have been a great fit at ILB, as Tedy Bruschi's replacement. But, the trade-down from the first round set up the Pats' entire draft. It allowed them to get Brace and Butler, and two additional second round picks in 2010. Rey could have been had at #34, instead of Patrick Chung. One must wonder why the Pats, and every other team, allowed Maualuga to slip-slide away;

2.) Sebastian Vollmer: Vollmer was selected with the 58th overall pick. Why so early? Weren't there better OL prospects to be had? Being picked as high as he was, this guy had better produce;

3.) Wasted Later Round Picks?: Rich Ohmberger, George Bussey, Jacob Ingram, Myron Pryor? Is it so hard to find a decent OG? Again, weren't there better prospects to be had? Is this Corey Hilliard and Mike Elgin (not so vintage 2007 picks) all over again? Supposedly, Jacob Ingram is a long-snapper, which every team needs. Myron Pryor...after Ron Brace was selected?? 

III. THE UGLY: 

1.) Why No TE?: The Pats had ample opportunity to grab Shawn Nelson (Bills), and Philadelphia took Cornelius Ingram in round 7. With Ben Watson's contract coming up, why not grab a guy like Ingram (who, like WR Brandon Tate, has injury issues), and but him on the PUP for a year (like they'll probably end up doing with Tate);

2.) Ellis Hobbs Trade: Hobbs and the Pats' secondary had a bad year in 2008. But, 2009 was going to be his contract year...adding incentive for him to perform at his best. In fairness to Hobbs, he was hampered most of last year with injuries. Isn't a decent CB, who can return KOs, worth more than 2 high 5th round picks (which were later traded to acquire the immortal Rich Ohmberger?). Plus, why trade Hobbs to a SB contending team like the Eagles? Possible reasons why Hobbs is gone: 

a.) Philip Rivers is right. Hes' one of the worst CBs in the NFL;

b.) Whining about his contract, and un-Patriotically mouthing off a bit in the press last year likely had something to do with the decision to jettison Hobbs.   

c.) BB feared that Hobbs would whine if he were to lose his starting job.

d.) Perhaps the Pats wanted to create some cap space for additional free agent signings (Jason Taylor, Roy Williams? Others?). 

Thoughts? Agreements/Disagreements?       

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Re: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly of Pats' Draft

The Ellis Hobbs question comes down to a couple of simple reasons. You put down one of them:
    1) Hobbs costs the team a lot more than other players on the team. He was in his final year and his sunken cap hit was small. If the Pats were to have a strong group in the secondary, Hobbs would be the one to go.
    2) The Pats have 7 members of the secondary signed for 3 or 4 years by the time Butler and Chung ink their contracts. Hobbs doesn't figure into the long term plans.
    3) The Pats want Wheatley, Wilhite, and Butler to have the opportunity to prove themselves on the field. BB is very high on all three of them. Hobbs on the team takes away their time on the field.
    4) The other major role that Hobbs plays is in the return game. The Pats loaded up on players who return in this draft and have others from recent drafts. Hobbs role on special teams was covered.

High cost, decent replacements, expendable, it was an obvious moved that I mentioned pre-draft with the condition that the Pats drafted a corner.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

How can you put Tyrone McKenzie as good and then put Rey Maualuga as bad? They're the same issue, the same position on the team. If McKenzie was a good pick then Maualuga is irrelevant.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

With Sebastian Vollmer, it depends on your source of information on whether it was a good pick or not. He is though a lot like a bigger version of what the Pats want on the OLine. He's smart, extremely athletic, and technical in his approach.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Additional bad:
    1: Not taking a flyer on Michael Johnson in the 3rd round (by trading up a bit). Is he not even good enough to compete with Woods, Banta-Cain, and Crable for playing time?  He may be a bit of a finesse player, but he's not going to quit on plays as a situational pass rusher/FG blocker, and he had the potential for much more as an OLB and DE.

2: Passing on Beatty for the big German. Light won't be playing forever, and Beatty has excellent potential. If these other projects can benefit from our OL coach, why couldn't Beatty? Plus, the big German could have been picked up later.

3: Pick 34 might have been traded (perhaps with another, lower pick) for a later 2nd rounder and a 3rd, which could have been converted into another 2010 2nd rounder. If Denver was willing to trade its 2010 first rounder for pick 33, another team would have traded something good for 34, and we could have drafted William Moore or another strong safety later on.

As for #3, we'll just have to take Z's word that he truly is a potential star, and the closest thing to Rodney that we could hope to find with a second round pick. Maybe he really does cover well.

One thing is for sure - Character continues to play a key role in BB's decision making, and the Patriot Way will clearly live on for this next generation. Chung will play no small role in that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

I'm more optimistic, in a way. Vollmer is freakishly athletic for an offensive lineman, especially one that big. He had nearly a three foot vertical, and benched over thirty reps despite having ultra-long arms. He's got extremely light feet, is astonishly fluid for his size, and plays with a definite nasty streak. I think he starts at right tackle this year, and slides over to left tackle after Light's contract expires next year.

Maualuga would be nice, but he freelances a lot, spends a lot of time on the ground, isn't always effective in coverage, and apparently isn't the brightest guy out there. BB requires intelligences, toughness, and responsibility from his players. I love RM, but he doesn't fit this scheme. Instead we get McKenzie, who's roughly the same size/speed, but is much smarter, knows his assignments, and is at least adequate against TEs in coverage, not to mention immensely productive in a variety of systems--often without a talented supporting cast.

I like Ellis Hobbs. A lot. But his position on both defense and special teams was upgraded through the draft. He was the weakest link of the secondary, yet also the highest paid. Instead of letting him go in FA nexdt year, we clear cap space and get two picks in return. Solid move.

Don't like the Myron Pryor pick, though he may surprise me. I'd have prefered Rashad Jennings, whom the Jags picked up half a dozen slots before Mr. Irrelevant closed out the 2009 NFL draft. But as BB mentioned in his press conference, each defense tackle brings a different strength to the team. For example, Brace can be either a 0-tech or a 5-tech end, while Richard is probably more exclusively an end, and Pryor is a nose tackle or a 3-tech in pass rushing subs.

Reportedly, BB is very high on the two guards/centers. Word is one of them could start by the end of '09. I'm not going to write them off just yet, though I had differing preferences for personnel.

I need to sleep. But before I go, let me just say that I am absolutely ECSTATIC over the Patrick Chung pick. He was probably my favorite player in this draft (along with English, Barwin, and Jennings), and I really believe he will develop into a Polamalu type talent. Paired with Meriweather, that gives us a heck of a safety tandem.

Oh, and next year we get 4 picks in the first two rounds yet again. I love the Patriots. *grin*

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

1.) On DB's.

I agree. The axing of Hobbs completes what is essentially a mandate that NE had to improve its pass defense. Over the past few seasons it has been the weak link of this team. Other than Meriweather's near pro-bowl campaign last season, there were just a bunch of dim spots in a see of black.

BB just hit the reset button on his nintendo.

The NE superbowl winning teams had fast, ferocious and versatile Db groups. With all sorts of players.

Harrison (in his prime) Wilson, Poole, Law
    vs
    Harrison (age-hobbled) Sanders (mr. mediocre)
    Hobbs (toast)             Samuel (zone only)

They aren't even comparable and the later group had trouble getting off the field on third down over the few seasons they were together.

Going down the line with these young kids I think
    Chung, Meriweather, Bodden, Butler
    is a group that will be closer in speed, violence and versatility to the SB winning crew.

2.) The answer to the Maualuga question is simple. They think Chung will be a better professional football player than RM. I agree. He is smarter. More mature. Has a non-stop motor. Is the nastiest hitter in the draft. And is a team leader. He "get's it." I have thought since the Jets game last season that Chung was the missing piece to pull this together. I am as big a Meriweather fan as there is here on this board, but IMO the 15 pounds and major strength difference between the two kids? He stops Dustin Keller and NE has a chance to be a playoff team. 

3.) I agree that NE should have taken a TE. But see #2. Apparently no one in football thought very highly of this group. Coming in those were supposed to be second or early third guys. They ended up as day two players. So I guess you can't get blood from a stone.

4.) I had Tyrone McKenzie in most of my mocks. He was a total sleeper. Another kid that I am proud they brought in.

5.) The answer to the late round picks is easy. That is when you start going closer to BPA and worrying less about available talent and roster spots. You just want the kid highest on your board at that point, as you are really throwing sh!te at a wall. So they worked out Ingram. They probably thought he was garbage. I watch a lot of Florida football and I can't say that he ever stood out as anything special in the Swamp. So I won't argue.

6.) The answer to Hobbs is simple too. You got it. Payroll and talent. With this group of Db's he would likely be competing with Wheatley and Wilhite to play third or fourth corner. Those two put together make less than he does. And while he was a good KR, he isn't $2.5 million per good. That is for guys who take it to the house once or twice a year. So with a little added flexibility they can have a safety net to sign a veteran now or later. But I sincerely doubt it will be Roy Williams, as they already have the Tank. Same player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Myron Pryor is slightly different from Ron Brace. He's several inches lower to the ground, plays low to the ground, fast for the position. He's kind of unique for the nose tackle because he's also a pass rusher. This makes him as much of an option for the Wilfork/Brace role as for the Wright/Green third down role. But he also adds on third down the size and strength to play like a nose tackle if they throw a run at us.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Reamer,

You know I am the Chung backer of em all.

Troy is the name I use.

He played the combo spot like Troy does in Pitt. And I imagine that is what Ne has in mind. They both played in the Pac-10 and had nearly identical careers, except that Troy had a far better surrounding cast.

I have said since the beinning that if he were a USC safety he would have been a much higher selection.

Ne got a star.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Hey Arod.

One thing about Johnson, which feeds into the debate about Maualuga.

I was never high on either. As you all know.

But, and I am mentioning this to ease some concern here, both players were taken by the Bungles.

And both players were passed up by Ne and Pitt and Batlimore three of the best drafting teams in the NFL period, and the three of the premier 3-4 units in football. That is a rather dramatic statement that not one 3-4 team took this kid in a group of three that need ILB help in some form.

Not even San Diego who have the most anemic ILB group among 3-4 teams, or the Browns who had a gillion picks and are basically starting all over on defense took these guys.

Which group would you rather have making your decisions?

I hope that at least helps it make some sense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

The Ellis Hobbs trade might have to do with freeing up cap space, possibly for the signing of J.T.  As far as the draft goes, unless the Pats were picking in the top ten, no one knows who will pan out as a quality NFL player.  I like what the Pats did in this draft, why pay 1st rd pick money on a bust.  Better off drafting in high quantity and hope to hit on a few picks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Vollmer appears to be a minor project but the upside? He's apparently on heckuva good athlete. From Germany he played soccer at an extremely high level before he switched over to football as an older teen. Think he has good footwork? His only slam appears to be that he can be "walked back" to the QB. At 6'8" and well over 320#s obviously BB saw something, so too did perhaps the best position coach on the Pats staff...their O-Line coach.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donspartucus. Show donspartucus's posts

2.) Sebastian Vollmer: Vollmer was selected with the 58th overall pick. Why so early? Weren't there better OL prospects to be had? Being picked as high as he was, this guy had better produce;

3.) Wasted Later Round Picks?:Rich Ohmberger, George Bussey, Jacob Ingram, Myron Pryor? Is it so hard to find a decent OG? Again, weren't there better prospects to be had? Is this Corey Hilliard and Mike Elgin (not so vintage 2007 picks) all over again? Supposedly, Jacob Ingram is a long-snapper, which every team needs. Myron Pryor...after Ron Brace was selected?? 

When it comes to the O-line this is where  BB is at his worst. How do you pass over a guy like Duke Robinson OG and others of that magnitude to draft low budget scrubs that he covets every year. He does this year after year after year!

This is why we lost the Super Bowl and why Brady was hurt that year and last year and hopefully not next year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Another great post discussion Texas Pat3 and Zbellino well thought out. I don't profess to know a whole lot about Sebastian "SEA BASS" Vollmer,but I heard Mel Kiper Jr. say last week that he was a riser so I'm not surprised by his being drafted by BB,I really was surprised that BB passed on Matthews! The Linebacker that they did draft is a winner and a model citizen,he took care of his mother and worked his way through college to me that is a man!! The fact that he is also a capable Line backer is a plus, but if all he could do was carry water to the other fellas on his team just hearing his story I'd have drafted him on the sneaky suspicion that at some point his contributions on the field will pay off....So for drafting Tyrone McKenzie this Buds for you.I don't know much about the other interior linemen that BB drafted but with Dante in charge of the O-line personal who am I to question the varacity of the choices??? I think they are going to try and utilize Dave Thomas as a Fullback this year if so then drafting one would have been a waste. TE's we have 5 on the roster and that doesn't count Hochstien...

Like I've said many times before the proof is in the Pudding so lets all just wait and see how it comes out..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

How can you put Tyrone McKenzie as good and then put Rey Maualuga as bad? They're the same issue, the same position on the team. If McKenzie was a good pick then Maualuga is irrelevant.
    Posted by KyleCleric2

Kyle:

IMHO, Maualuga was seen as having two major strikes against him: 1/ perceived by many to be a two-down player whose flaws were largely hidden by the talent of his defensive teammates and the quality of their opponents; and 2/ character issues that have only been partially disclosed probably played an even larger role in Rey's slide in popularity among NFL talent evaluators.

McKenzie may not have the marquee reputation that Maualuga has; but in terms of character: he is a perfect fit for the BB-led Patriots.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

its hard to say who is good,or not.in collage a lot of them looked good.and in the draft they look good on paper.but in the NFL it remains to be seen.butler could turn out to be another hobbs,and mckenzie could be the next ray lewis.we dont know.but in a year,or two we will find out.after training camp,a lot of these guys will be cut,or guys that are on the roster will get beat out,and cut.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

Sometimes I wonder if BB is more interested in moving picks around rather then taking actual players......I was upset that the passed on Oher at #23, not so much mathews at #26, but a little, then mulitple chances at maualaga and passing on him as well. Ok so hes not a 3 down lb. So what? What will they do, play brushci?, someone else? They must believe in some of thier young guys, because that didn't make any sense.

At least they got butler, who I loved, and dumped Ellis "I make one big play a game and dance around for 10 minutes after it" hobbs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

Enjoyed reading your thioughts. This year I did not get as involved with the draft as I had in previous years. BB told us essentially prior to the draft that he was not impressed with 1st day talent. He indicated that second day was about the same and little seperates them and that it was their job to evaluate the players and make good decisions, IMO they did. Mayo last season received mixed ratings from us but look what occured. Something tells me that BB has pulled off another winning draft. I must admitt most of your thoughts I too have had. Perhaps something else is in the offering.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Make no mistake, there's a reason my RM dropped.  Team's are now using more complex offences and defences are getting complex to try and confuse these QBs in today's NFL.

RM had too many question about his smarts and also if he's a two or three down LB.  If you are picking a guy in the 1st or 2nd I think you want a guy who has the ability to play all 3 downs and will know where he needs to be because he understands the D scheme.

Mckenzie will be an interesting name to watch for the next couple of years.  You have a guy that's not a pass rusher but is a good cover LB.  If he's converted to ILB you'll have the run stopper Mayo and this guy learing from TB how to cover those guys and drop into coverage.  Lets remember Bruschi made his name been able to drop and intersept passes in very important games.  I like the pick.

For the OT at 58, all I have to say about that one is In Bill We Trust.  Although if this guy turns to be the next Matt Light but bigger well this might be more proof as to BBs genious.  They are connected to the school this kid comes from so they had him scouted.  NFL network told BB they had to tape on this kid so I'm guessing some teams didn't.  If NFL didn't have the tape how can they tell if he's picked too high?  I rather put my coin on BB.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Hobbs lead off his post-trade call by complaining about his contract.  Likely Pats thought he would make an issue out of the contract and become a distraction.  His talent isn't worth carrying an unhappy camper.

Pats did a solid job, reallistically maybe 4 or 5 guys were going to make this roster going into the draft.  They filled need at S, DB, ILB and depth on both lines. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Posted by KyleCleric2

Tyrone McKenzie was a good value pick for where he was selected (97th overall)...and he projects to assist at a position of need ILB/OLB. Since Maualuga wasn't selected, the Pats needed help at ILB...and chose McKenzie. Supposedly, McKenzie is better in coverage than Maualuga.

The issue with Maualuga is, should the Pats have taken him at #34 over Patrick Chung? Many folks would argue that Rey is a better prospect...and would have filled a position of need. 

What happened with Rey is a mystery. There must be some concerns about is abilities to behave himself off the field...or perhaps some suspicions about drug use. Or...the Pats just felt that Chung was a better prospect, and would be the perfect replacement for Rodney Harrison.

Only time will tell.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Additional bad: 1: Not taking a flyer on Michael Johnson in the 3rd round (by trading up a bit). Is he not even good enough to compete with Woods, Banta-Cain, and Crable for playing time? 

RESPONSE: From what I hear about the guy, hes' soft. Let the Bengals have him. He is know to quit on plays.

2. Passing on Beatty for the big German. Light won't be playing forever, and Beatty has excellent potential. If these other projects can benefit from our OL coach, why couldn't Beatty? Plus, the big German could have been picked up later.

RESPONSE: Agreed. Why not take Beatty at 58, and the German later?

3: Pick 34 might have been traded (perhaps with another, lower pick) for a later 2nd rounder and a 3rd, which could have been converted into another 2010 2nd rounder. If Denver was willing to trade its 2010 first rounder for pick 33, another team would have traded something good for 34, and we could have drafted William Moore or another strong safety later on.

RESPONSE: Denver was out of their minds for trading next years' #1 pick. Alphonso Smith had better be a starting CB for them. If another team offered the Pats next years' #1 for the 34th pick, the deal would have been done. But, why trade down for a lower pick? There was good value at #34. I question whether Rey Maualuga would have been the better choice over Patrick Chung? Oh, well...In Bill we Trust.

As for #3, we'll just have to take Z's word that he truly is a potential star, and the closest thing to Rodney that we could hope to find with a second round pick. Maybe he really does cover well.

RESPONSE: Are we talking about Tyrone McKenzie, or Patrick Chung? Chung takes over the Rodney role, not McKenzie...although McKenzie could possibly be used as a hybrid LB/SS.

Posted by arodrambone

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I'm more optimistic, in a way. Vollmer is freakishly athletic for an offensive lineman, especially one that big. He had nearly a three foot vertical, and benched over thirty reps despite having ultra-long arms. He's got extremely light feet, is astonishly fluid for his size, and plays with a definite nasty streak. I think he starts at right tackle this year, and slides over to left tackle after Light's contract expires next year. Maualuga would be nice, but he freelances a lot, spends a lot of time on the ground, isn't always effective in coverage, and apparently isn't the brightest guy out there. BB requires intelligences, toughness, and responsibility from his players. I love RM, but he doesn't fit this scheme . Instead we get McKenzie, who's roughly the same size/speed, but is much smarter, knows his assignments, and is at least adequate against TEs in coverage, not to mention immensely productive in a variety of systems--often without a talented supporting cast. I like Ellis Hobbs. A lot. But his position on both defense and special teams was upgraded through the draft. He was the weakest link of the secondary, yet also the highest paid. Instead of letting him go in FA nexdt year, we clear cap space and get two picks in return. Solid move. Don't like the Myron Pryor pick, though he may surprise me. I'd have prefered Rashad Jennings, whom the Jags picked up half a dozen slots before Mr. Irrelevant closed out the 2009 NFL draft. But as BB mentioned in his press conference, each defense tackle brings a different strength to the team. For example, Brace can be either a 0-tech or a 5-tech end, while Richard is probably more exclusively an end, and Pryor is a nose tackle or a 3-tech in pass rushing subs. Reportedly, BB is very high on the two guards/centers. Word is one of them could start by the end of '09. I'm not going to write them off just yet, though I had differing preferences for personnel. I need to sleep. But before I go, let me just say that I am absolutely ECSTATIC over the Patrick Chung pick. He was probably my favorite player in this draft (along with English, Barwin, and Jennings), and I really believe he will develop into a Polamalu type talent. Paired with Meriweather, that gives us a heck of a safety tandem. Oh, and next year we get 4 picks in the first two rounds yet again. I love the Patriots. *grin*
    Posted by reamer

I'm not writing off any of the players that the Pats selected...and I'm glad to hear how enthusiastic you are over Patrick Chung. I hope you're right. As for Maualuga, he may be too slow to cover, and a head case. After all, many teams passed him up.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I don't think NE liked Beatty, and I don't think Vollmer would have been there by their next selection. He was a riser that many of us missed.

Beatty kind of dropped a bit because he has short arms. This is the kiss of death. It hit Meredith as well.

But here is what I have read. Because I had Beatty above him as well. Jerry Jones had Vollmer out to his ranch for a personal interview, which is (from what I hear) very rare. There was all sorts of buzz around the kid, based on his EFL experience, and his raw ability. He was rising fast, so aside from how BB ranked him, they had reason to beleive that other teams liked him as well, in the range.

Dallas had two picks between NE's two selections. With the second of those two picks they grabbed Robert Brewster, who was ranked much, much lower than Vollmer. That says to me that they went for the next best option when Vollmer was off the board.

According to scouts inc, Vollmer wasn't that much of a reach. They had him as the 9th best tackle and he was the 7th taken. They had him as a mid 3rd, and he was a low second on draft day.

BB worked both players out personally, as did Dante Scarnechia, so I think they probably saw something in Vollmer. The thing that makes me very comfortable about it is that BB has an intimate knowledge of UCONN players. He knows them well. That is why I don't sweat passing Beatty or Cody Brown even though they were both in play at #58 for me.

It is a little wierd, but all in all. Do you mind the idea of a 6'8" monster on the line? I know you are huge fan of OL play. This kid has the triangle numbers to be something special. Let's hope BB got it right.

And lets be serious. Do you think Kazcur has a long term shot at competing with Herr Vollmer? Vollmer could fall forward and be a more effective blocker. LOL.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

Thoughts? Agreements/Disagreements?          
    Posted by TexasPat3

Yes, as always you do a great analysis.   i can't speak to the draft itself because I just don't follow college football.  As for Hobbs, I liked him the first time I saw him play against Miami when I went to that game in Miami.  After that he got better, but just not good enough.

Sections
Shortcuts